Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Current Condition of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Current Condition of Armenia

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? You think present day Armenians are affected by the overlords many cenutries ago? The only overlord that has direct influence on Armenians today is the Soviet Union.
    You have a very bad habit of missing points. It's ok, I think with age you will wisen up.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
      You have a very bad habit of missing points. It's ok, I think with age you will wisen up.
      Be more clear with what you are saying, it has nothing to with my intellect, I am in academia.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Well said enker jan. This is what is meant when I and others state that Armenia needs to evolve. The evolution we speak of is not limited to political but also society at large and even on the religious/spiratual level as well. If society is immoral, lacks discipline and focus, then how can we expect the government to be any better? This is holistic question, it is not limited to something that can be fixed at one point or another, it requires serious efforts on the part of society, the Church, and the current government. The Diaspora has a large role to play in this as well, but so far not enough have committed to solving the overarching issue - societial change.

1000 years of arabic, islamic, turkic, and mongol overlordship will be tough to overcome in 20 or 30 years, but we can and must return to primordial roots.
        Today I heard people complain because they had to inform the government they were burning a gas stove. Can you imagine that happening in the west people complaining for informing, not even paying taxes or getting permission to burn gas but inform, but people are still not happy. People in Armenia don't want laws and no matter what they will xxxxx about the government.
        And I agree with what you wrote.

What does that have to do with anything? You think present day Armenians are affected by the overlords many cenutries ago? The only overlord that has direct influence on Armenians today is the Soviet Union.
        How about indirect? How many of the customs that we think that are Armenian but are Turkish or Arabic and have nothing to do with the Armenian culture? How about the way people act, the way they look at the world and treat each other. A thousand year of occupation leaves a stain on the people. The biggest soviet influence on the subconscious is that the people expect that the government takes care of all their needs and provides for everything.

Comment

Be more clear with what you are saying, it has nothing to with my intellect, I am in academia.
          University of Phoenix online does not count as academia. Sorry to break it to you bro.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

University of Phoenix online does not count as academia. Sorry to break it to you bro.
            Why the hell are you trying to insult me? All I told you is to be more clear in what you say, is that so much to ask? (and no I don't go there, I am in one of the best universities in the world)
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

A large portion of the diaspora played by the rules when they migrated. A majority of them became successful if not at least useful members of western society. What I see today (and by no means is this only an Armenian problem) but people think they are owed something. They think all they have to do is go through the motions or stages of life and everything will be handed to them regardless of how much effort they put in. Also, I notice particularly that people all want to start at the top instead of climbing the ladder.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                How about indirect? How many of the customs that we think that are Armenian but are Turkish or Arabic and have nothing to do with the Armenian culture? How about the way people act, the way they look at the world and treat each other. A thousand year of occupation leaves a stain on the people. The biggest soviet influence on the subconscious is that the people expect that the government takes care of all their needs and provides for everything.
                Please enlighten me on the specific Arabic influences on our mindset and culture. There's more to Soviet influence than expecting government take of its needs, Soviet influence is much more than any other foreign power that has reigned above us. Of course in Armenians from Armenia, I can't comment on the Western Armenians.
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---

Comment

Why the hell are you trying to insult me? All I told you is to be more clear in what you say, is that so much to ask? (and no I don't go there, I am in one of the best universities in the world)

Why do you insult Armenia with your pfa propaganda?

Karo pointed out a few examples of what I was referring to. The mentality of Armenians, not just in Armenia, is in a poor state. I am of course speaking of the majority, not all Armenians. And before you say, well this is true in all nations, I ask you, don't Armenians pride themselves in being an intelligent ethnic group?
                  Yet, all Armenians want to be king and give orders but no one wants to be the one who takes the orders. I am of the opinion that the current 'Armenian' mentality is due to our 1000 years of being stateless, under someone else's rule, and the Asiatic mindset that all of these empires had. Now look at the rather short time Armenia was under Russian/Soviet rule, 1820s-1991. Modern culture was brought to Armenia, and not only were we exposed to the great intellectual, cultural, etc. traits of Europe, but this also rejuvinated Armenians to get back to their roots and create our own great artists. Russia has a great deal of Asiatic influences too, so just imagine if we had had German or French oversight instead of Russian, how much further the cultural development of Armenia would have gone.

Do not misunderstand my point, I am not saying we should be Russified or Francofied or any other 'fied', just that there is much to incorporate from Western tradition still in Armenia, things that we helped develop either directly or indirectly, but which we lost due to our distance from Europe, and the constant invasions and subordination to Asiatics. And this means take in the good aspects, the true elements of Western civilizations, not the current extreme liberal, everything is relative, anti-Christian, multiculturalism garbage that is killing much of Europe.

Comment

Why do you insult Armenia with your pfa propaganda?

Karo pointed out a few examples of what I was referring to. The mentality of Armenians, not just in Armenia, is in a poor state. I am of course speaking of the majority, not all Armenians. And before you say, well this is true in all nations, I ask you, don't Armenians pride themselves in being an intelligent ethnic group?
                    Yet, all Armenians want to be king and give orders but no one wants to be the one who takes the orders. I am of the opinion that the current 'Armenian' mentality is due to our 1000 years of being stateless, under someone else's rule, and the Asiatic mindset that all of these empires had. Now look at the rather short time Armenia was under Russian/Soviet rule, 1820s-1991. Modern culture was brought to Armenia, and not only were we exposed to the great intellectual, cultural, etc. traits of Europe, but this also rejuvinated Armenians to get back to their roots and create our own great artists. Russia has a great deal of Asiatic influences too, so just imagine if we had had German or French oversight instead of Russian, how much further the cultural development of Armenia would have gone.

Do not misunderstand my point, I am not saying we should be Russified or Francofied or any other 'fied', just that there is much to incorporate from Western tradition still in Armenia, things that we helped develop either directly or indirectly, but which we lost due to our distance from Europe, and the constant invasions and subordination to Asiatics. And this means take in the good aspects, the true elements of Western civilizations, not the current extreme liberal, everything is relative, anti-Christian, multiculturalism garbage that is killing much of Europe.
                    All right that's better.

First off, I'm not insulting Armenia, and please don't say that again as it really irritates me. Why would I want to insult my country and my people?

I agree with the fact that the mentality of Armenians has been constructed by the often rule of foreign powers. We have learned how to flourish in foreign lands (just look at successful diaspora today). When it comes to governing ourselves that's been a different story, as the mindset having been formed from all that foreign rule has been hard to translate right away to successful self rule, though we have made strides and accomplishments.

Of course with Russian rule we were able to greatly advance our culture and also solidify our identity. Another example of a cultural renaissance for us was during Cilicia and of course the independent Kingdoms of Armenia. With that we have also had the influence from Caucasus cultures of course as a good portion of our ancient lands are in the South Caucasus. For example, the cultural exchange between us and Georgians both ancient Christian cultures. But in all the greatest element to our culture has been our Church, and that has been a consistent piece in our identity. When talking about Armenian culture, we have to focus a great deal on our Christianity because with it we've been able to remain Armenians.
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                      What I see today (and by no means is this only an Armenian problem) but people think they are owed something.
                      Victim mindset. They've been oppressed so someone must make them whole again. Some groups are more prone to this than others.

Comment

Working...
                      X