Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

isk inchu voch Hayeren??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language aint only a caravan for the expression of thoughts, perceptions, or sentiments, and values of a community. Its also the expression of social identity. As LIke the noted linguist Edward Sapir said, "the mere fact of a common speech serves as a peculiar potent symbol of the social solidarity of those who speak the language." So retaining ones language helps maintain cultural cohesion and kinship.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

• So now he quotes a "noted" linguist in defence of his nation's propaganda...

Comment

• Uh oh, she has returneth. Other than your incessant whining in these particular threads related to language, what is the purpose of you on these boards?
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

• es sirumem knats mknikner
          I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

• you obviously werent raised as an Armenian, thus you dont know what I'm talking about. Its the Armenian values and morals that are passed down by your parents, grandparents, thats what I mean when I say "being raised as an Armenian." Anybody who was raised as an Armenian would know what I'm talking about.
            Who says I wasn't raised as an Armenian? I spoke Armenian about three quarters of the day, I went to agoump, I was taught to be proud of being an Armenian, even if half!!! And I still think language is very important in that. If I had not been taught Armenian, I would not have felt the same way.

They are not delusional...somewhere in their long line of ancestory they had Armenian grandparents.
            Yes, and somewhere in my long line of ancestry, Diana had Armenian grandparents. That still doesn't make her Armenian. There is no "Armenian gene."

Good for you..so you were taught Armenian, correct? You just didnt come out of your mothers womb and began to speak Armenian. So I'm quessing I would have to be taught as well, huh? Please Dan, tell me how I would go about doing that, being taught that is?
            Just like I am learning German. Get a book. Get someone to talk to in Armenian. Ask questions. It's not impossible to learn. I dare say learning Armenian is easier than learning Chinese.

Come on, Inna. You know what I'm talking about. You just don't wanna admit it. An Armenian who knows every other language except for Armenian is NOT an Armenian. Period. I don't care if you have Armenian ancestry up to the time of Tigran medz. If you don't know Armenian, you're no more of an Armenian than the Ethiopian who is not an Armenian. Our language is what has set us apart from other nations a very long long time ago. And once we give it up, we will be giving up an integral part of our national and cultural identity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darorinag
              And once we give it up, we will be giving up an integral part of our national and cultural identity.
              APRES!!! darorinag...anonk chen hasknar vor lezun ASTSO pargevne AZGIN xxxx xosetsi ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darorinag
                Who says I wasn't raised as an Armenian? I spoke Armenian about three quarters of the day, I went to agoump, I was taught to be proud of being an Armenian, even if half!!! And I still think language is very important in that. If I had not been taught Armenian, I would not have felt the same way.
                So if you didnt speak Armenian, you wouldnt feel "Armenian"? I dont understand how that is possible, I spoke Armenian when I lived in Armenia, and that didnt make me feel any more or any less Armenian.

Yes, and somewhere in my long line of ancestry, Diana had Armenian grandparents. That still doesn't make her Armenian. There is no "Armenian gene."
                She isnt Armenian b/c her parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc didnt pass down the Armenian culture, but these Ethopian people that I'm talking about have, shlt, by your standards, "your only Armenian if you speak the language" they are more Armenian then me.

let me ask you something Dan, if you had a child with someone that isnt Armenian, and that child has a child with someone who isnt Armenian, would that make your grandchild less of an Armenian?

Just like I am learning German. Get a book. Get someone to talk to in Armenian. Ask questions. It's not impossible to learn. I dare say learning Armenian is easier than learning Chinese.
                You say it like its that easy Dan...why dont you find me an Armenian teacher in Raleigh, North Carolina and I would be more than happy to attend these teaching sessions....learning a language on your own that uses the same alphabet as English is easier since you are already able to pronounce the letters, but learning a complete new alphabet...well now thats hard...there is no one that lives close enough to me that I know of that speaks the language...heck the majority of Armenians that I do know here are all from Baku, and they all speak Russian like me, not Armenian.

Come on, Inna. You know what I'm talking about. You just don't wanna admit it. An Armenian who knows every other language except for Armenian is NOT an Armenian. Period. I don't care if you have Armenian ancestry up to the time of Tigran medz. If you don't know Armenian, you're no more of an Armenian than the Ethiopian who is not an Armenian. Our language is what has set us apart from other nations a very long long time ago. And once we give it up, we will be giving up an integral part of our national and cultural identity.
                I dont have to admit anything to you Dan, you of all people should understand how it feels to be outcasted by your own people.
                Last edited by Inna; 04-05-2004, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Inna STOP!!! preaching nubism in my thread ev xosir hayeren!!

Comment

• So if you didnt speak Armenian, you wouldnt feel "Armenian"? I dont understand how that is possible, I spoke Armenian when I lived in Armenia, and that didnt make me feel any more or any less Armenian.
                    So do you consider those pretentious "Armenians" in L.A who are ashamed of speaking our language Armenians? Heck, they can even go to church every day, but they are still not Armenians in my books. Why would you not speak Armenian? Is there anything wrong or inferior about it? Why learn another language before you learn your own? What's so good about another language that you wanna learn when you don't even know your own? Btw, my cousin doesn't know Armenian, and she's studying Spanish. Go figure. Beats me. Idiocy is rampant in the Armenian community...

She isnt Armenian b/c her parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc didnt pass down the Armenian culture, but these Ethopian people that I'm talking about have, shlt, by your standards, "your only Armenian if you speak the language" they are more Armenian then me.
                    If her ancestors had preserved the Armenian language without even preserving the Armenian music and other aspects of culture, rest assured, she would've felt Armenian at least to a certain extent (depending on how much the ancestors valued this preservation).

let me ask you something Dan, if you had a child with someone that isnt Armenian, and that child has a child with someone who isnt Armenian, would that make your grandchild less of an Armenian?
                    First of all, I would not have a child with someone that isn't Armenian or English (I don't believe in miscegenation). Second, IF I did (hypothetically speaking), it depends on how much that child is taught the language. Only the children in a family that speaks Armenian at home to a certain extent (compared to not at all, and there are many such pretentious Armenian families) will be able to fight the risks of assimilation. I can see tons of Armenians talking to each other in English rather than Armenian. I mean, what is that if not pretentiousness? That is downright dumb. Why not speak Armenian? I don't see the Chinese speaking English 99.9% of the time. In fact, 99% of the time, they speak Chinese! And they don't even have the risk of being "lost" through miscegenation because of their huge numbers. What makes a French French and a German German if not language? Cultural practices might overlap, but when the languages vary, the two identities will be very much separate.

You say it like its that easy Dan...why dont you find me an Armenian teacher in Raleigh, North Carolina and I would be more than happy to attend these teaching sessions....learning a language on your own that uses the same alphabet as English is easier since you are already able to pronounce the letters, but learning a complete new alphabet...
                    Inna, there was a black man who learned Armenian by himself. It was a completely new alphabet to him. It is possible. You just have to want it. In fact, I know someone who has learned Japanese by himself. How is THAT for some contrast?

heck the majority of Armenians that I do know here are all from Baku, and they all speak Russian like me, not Armenian.
                    Look, we're not living in the medieval times. You can just get online and find people to talk to. If you wanted to, you can do it. I go to German chatrooms to have a better grasp of how they talk. It takes lots of time and effort, and it is at times frustrating, but if you want to learn the language, there is nothing that can stop you.

I dont have to admit anything to you Dan, you of all people should understand how it feels to be outcasted by your own people.
                    Understanding how it feels does not have to be coupled with tolerating the feelings of helplessness and the constant whining and excuses that come with it. Just take a look beyond that. There is more to life than being an outcast from a group. Sitting there and whining doesn't change anything. And you're definitely not going to change the minds of people like me, because once you do that, Armenianism is lost. Gone. If all Armenians adopted your mentality, our language that has lasted for millenia will be lost. What have YOU done to preserve it?

Comment

• I live in LA and all I talk is Armenian with my friends and family. Your generelization shows what an @ss you are. What is it with Armenian Canadians and there hate with us Armenians in LA.

Comment

Working...
                      X