Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Slang & Idioms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gluxes gnats...

ham@ hanir

nerveri degh -- this really doesn't make sense if you think about it, given the context in which it is usually said.
    Last edited by spiral; 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• #1 armenians from Iran --> in the schools established all over Los Angeles, OF THOSE THAT ARE by ARMENIANS fron IRAN! they teach the EXACT type of armenian that is taught in ARMENIA!... again! one more time! THEY TEACH THE EXACT TYPE OF ARMENIAN THAT IS TAUGHT IN ARMENIA! how do I know that? because when we were looking for a school for my little brother and my parents didnt want him to learn incorrect grammer they looked around and FOUND OUT that the schools by the Iranian Armenians were teaching the EXACT armenian that was taught in ARMENIA! HAH! lol!... so anywho, if in fact the orthography of the Iranian Armenians is correct, then BY GOLLY the orthography in Armenia is the correct one also... and so it is then a fact taht the "authenticity" of the western armenian is actually INAUTHENTIC... because the Iranian armenians (from my own personal family Experiance) teach the exact SAME armenian that is taugh in armenia currently and 10 and 20 years ago... ok? ok...

you know what makes me really angry... its your misconception and total disrespect for Armenians and Armenia... you keep refering to us as if we are from another planet... the soviet spelling... lol! that is pathetic! there is no such thing! do you understand that? THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a soviet spelling or soviet grammer or soviet anything else... we are ARMENIANS! we have spoken THIS type of ARMENIAN in that region of ARMENIA! for as long or longer then the western armenians have spoken it their way!... i am so sick of this BS about "soviet spelling and grammer" GET IT THRU your thick armenian skull... there is no such thing!... that is the WA teachers way of justifying what they have taugh you...

FACT: armenians in EREBUNI! have spoken with this dialect and have taught EASTERN ARMENIAN! for as long as it has been alive... there was no soviet at that time... and the people living there were teaching the same thing as they are teaching now...

again! you have got to be kidding me... you think that the bible is written in WA? are you that ignorant? THE BIBLE IS WRITTEN IN GRAPAR! that is not WA and it is much closer to EA then it is to WA! when it comes to spelling and when it comes to pronounciations it is closer to WA then to EA... THE BIBLE IN ARMENIAN is NOT! NOT NOT NOT! in WA... do you understand basic english? can you read my words? google it! GRAPAR! is the way in whcih the bible is written! not WA or EA...

you are truly pushiing my buttons here... look my dear, you can think or feel anythign you want... there is not one single linguist that wants to change anything to fit any village dialect into the literature of armenia... AND! the reason why, not as many schools in LA or in the US, teach EA is because NOT AS MANY EA live in certain areas... and not as many of them are as rich to be able to do so... and we are very happy that the Iranian Armenians teach it like we do, and so we send our childern to their schools...

the WA spelling is not more originial as EA... they have BOTH been around as long as the other... if you think that WA grammer is correct or original, then you must also believe that EA is as correct and as orignial! considering that it has been around in its current form as long as the other...

again! one more time! for all of those simple minded people... there is no such thing as SOVIET GRAMMER OR SOVIET SPELLING!... that is insane...

if infact, if you believe there is soviet spelling/grammer, then you must also believe that there is arabic spelling/grammer in the WA language...

i certainly do not believe that there is arabic spelling or grammer, and as it follows i do not beleive that there is soviet spelling and grammer...

and oyu know what else che-ka... this is the reason why many EA dont feel welcome in those wonderful established WA clubs... because you push us away as if we have done something horrible by speaking ARMENIAN, the way it is intended to be... the way it has been spoken in that region for as long as that region has been in armenian hands... for as long as mesrob mashtots has written the letters, for as long as the teachers have taugh it thereafter...

this is why i decided i didnt want to belong to this forum, and so on, and so forth... it is the ignorance, the stigmatization, the utter disrespect for our language... the incredible denial of facts, the truth, and again the profound refusal to accept the truth.

Comment

• Whereas a few days ago I thought you might be misinterpreting my words, I am now convinced you are simply not reading my posts.

If you think there is no such thing as Soviet spelling, then you are truly ignorant. Go pick up a simple encyclopedia, and it will give you all the information you need about this. You don't even have to go that far. Type in "Eastern Armenian, orthography" at Yahoo, and the first thing that pops up is this:

<<Today, Armenian has two official versions, Eastern and Western, along with many dialects. There are also two versions of spelling rules in Armenian, classical and Soviet. The classical orthography was developed in the 5th century, the Soviet orthography was developed in 1922 by Soviet rulers and is a conversion of the classical. Generally, Western Armenian uses classical orthography, and Eastern uses Soviet; the one exception being Eastern Armenian speakers in Iran, who use the classical orthography. >> http://www.wordnet.com/languages/armenian.html

If that's not enough, I have read Iranian-Armenian works online. They were written with classical orthography.

I can't even believe I'm still arguing about this.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT "DIALECT" AND "ORTHOGRAPHY" ARE DIFFERENT?!?!?!

I appreciate the Eastern Armenian dialect. I do not appreciate the orthography used by Eastern Armenians in Armenia.

I hope you understand the difference now, although I don't think you do.

DIALECT = I say "Yes g'oozem." You say "Yes oozoum em." EXCELLENT! I LOVE BOTH!

PRONUNCIATION = I say "parev." You say "barev." EXCELLENT! I LOVE BOTH!

ORTHOGRAPHY = I write "Kocharian." You write "Kocharyan." I write "siun" [se-ini-huin-noo] (meaning, column), you write "syoon" [se-hi-vo-huin-noo]. NO! I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE WAY YOU WRITE.

I very highly doubt that Iranian Armenians are now teaching Eastern Armenian with Soviet spelling. Obviously they're teaching Eastern Armenian, but certainly not with Soviet spelling. And if they are, it is only to attract the Armenians from Armenia.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think it's worth a response, but I'll give a ferw points.

* Here's why I don't think you read my post. I CLEARLY STATED IN MY POST THAT THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN IN KRAPAR (GRABAR). Please re-read it.

* You insinuated that Western Armenian is a "village dialect." I just wanted to point that out to illustrate the disrespect you apparently view the dialect with. Have you no shame?
        Today's Western Armenian is based upon the dialect of Bolis. You know Bolis? You know, Istanbul. That place that has 10 million people? That city that was the capital of the Ottoman Empire? My, I'd never think the Ottoman Empire would have its capital in a village.

* <<the WA spelling is not more originial as EA... they have BOTH been around as long as the other... >>
        <<for all of those simple minded people... there is no such thing as SOVIET GRAMMER OR SOVIET SPELLING!... that is insane... >>

Statements like those is the reason why I think you have not done your research. You really shouldn't be posting with such authority if you think that those statements are correct. "Simple-minded people"? Nice one.

* <<this is why i decided i didnt want to belong to this forum, and so on, and so forth... it is the ignorance, the stigmatization, the utter disrespect for our language... the incredible denial of facts, the truth, and again the profound refusal to accept the truth.>>

Every single one of those characteristics describes you, based on these last few posts.

Look, you seem to be a proud Armenian. And I like that. But please, learn some more about our language and related issues before you start name-calling, eh?
        Last edited by Che_Ka; 04-27-2005, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• actually it looks to me that you dont read anythign that i write...

apearntly between the two of us, you have a much more stuborn head, and so you can pass on whatever you think about something that does not exist but rather feeds the fire for people such as yourself...

if you keep repeating something more often you will start to believe it, and the more you beleive it the more you will want to make sure it doesnt slip away in the noise, then you and others similar to you will need to write it down, put it on the internet and call it information...

when EA came to the US en mass starting after 1977, we didnt know that there was so much hate agaist us by the WA... and then when my family got hear, i was searching for armenian schools, and we stumbled upon one of the ridiculas websites that said that we speak soviet armenian, we were so offended... my mother was like, translate everyhting that says... and so i did, and man my family was so angry... we told others and no one understood where these people are getting their information, and so the conclusion was as simple as your agrument with me... you are justifying something that has been taugt to you, and you want that to be true no matter what... and so you will destroy our percious armenian just to satisfy your ego... you will call our precious armenian names, and say things like what you have said in your posts... "it isnt original, it doesnt have the correct spelling, etc..." just so you can justify your means and ends...

we dont care about how you say or do anything, thats why when armenians had just enough money to put together their own schools in the US, they did, and in the mean while we taugt armenian to children at home...

this conversation is as worthless as the differences in orthography or dialect...

go head! b!tch and moan about your g'oozem or my uzuom em... but know this, that EVERY THING THAT YOU ARE TAUGHT in school, is also taught in schools in armenia! ALONG with the rest...

let me simplify it for you...
          WA - teaches WA orthography, spelling, grammer, pronounciations, etc...
          EA - teaches BOTH WA and EA orthography, spelling, grammer, pronounciations, etc...

THAT IS WHY we understand you, but you dont understand us... that is why we have learned FULL ARMENIAN, and you havent... you can accept or discard what ever you please, but if you dont understand my armenian, or i speak too fast for you, or what ever your brain cant catch up to, because my armenian is advanced, and it not only includes WA and EA but it also includes GRAPAR! then i am sorry but, armenian schools that teach EA programs, have a curiculam that addresses and teaches ALL of it, COMPLETELY and we dont discard WA pronounciations... we teach them too... unlike WA schools...

you are not reading my posts... but thats ok... thats the differences between EA and WA speaking people... one of them accepts both and the other is pushy and ignorant, and so they dont care to understand what we are talking about...

Comment

• i wish you the same as you wished me on your last line about learning more about our literature/language...

Comment

• After thinking to myself "huh??" and "you're kidding me!" about a dozen times each while reading through your post, I've decided to give it up.

It seems you are unable to appreciate, much less refute, the points and arguments that I have put forth. You haven't critically read a word I've posted. All that matters is what you think is right; and no matter what information or perspective I may offer, it will not matter, as it is immediately filtered through your brain. The ignorant misconceptions, stereotypes, and animosities that you hold seem to disallow you from so much as considering that perhaps there is another way to look at things.

I wish you success in all of your endeavors. Hopefully we can each do our independent part to ensure the longevity of the Armenian nation, language, culture, and identity.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiral
                gluxes gnats...
                "Kloukh@s knats!" How did I miss that one!

Originally posted by spiral
                ham@ hanir
                As for "ham," I've heard
                - "ham@ yertal"
                - "ham@ hanel"
                - "ham@ pakhav" (I saw one running away on four legs! )

Interestingly, I've never heard "ham@ kal." Strange!

Originally posted by spiral
                nerveri degh -- this really doesn't make sense if you think about it, given the context in which it is usually said.
                What does it mean? Thanks!
                What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siamanto
                  Are you telling that - as in kinder garden - the "shadakhos" ones should be punished? Please, keep in mind that a Web forum is the only place where a "shadakhos" is rewarded...with a star or...!

You just proved that all New Yorkers are mean, not only the Manhattan dwellers that you were complaining about!

PS. How many words would be acceptable to you? How high can you count?
                  Why everybody thinks New Yorkers are mean? We are not, we are very polite and friendly.

Simantro dzhan, you can write as mush as your hands will let you, but that would not guarantee you that people will read it

Comment

• did anyone think that TSAVT TANEM is literally "i will take away your pain".(the meaning is really deep).

Comment

• Magdalinka: I wasn't used to hearing "tsavt danem" -- so when I first started hearing it, I thought it was such a nice saying!

It's kind of similar to "hokis yeller" -- your mom says it so often, that you don't realize it's quite a nice saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X