Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Slang & Idioms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• es moonates galis?

Comment

• Boys and girls,

Most of what is posted here, yes mum dad and nene use them, are Turkish and Arabic.

haydeh, babam, yalla (ya'allah actually),

Our parents were brought up in Arab countries and they sometimes forget that using little harmless words that might better describe something is gradually destroying our language.

You say it's harmless? What language will your kids speak?

If they dont sound Armenian they probably arn't. Kids, try not to use these words.

Comment

• what hayde is not Armenian ??? are you serious ? ....I knew it was greek but I thought it was also used in Armenian

Comment

• There's that "agam" word, it's kinda like "babam" only a whole lot more euhh....never mind. it's usually used in beirut, specifically bourj hammoud where all armenians are. it's real funny actually. and who knew that the actual term of "derrig" is "hankestapetchotz"? LOL....or that "hoover" is called "poshagoul".

Comment

• Re: Armenian Slang & Idioms

Հա, ես վարժուած եմ «կոր» գործածել որովհետեւ, ամէն ուրիշ մարդու պէս, ես միշտ կը լսէի իմ մայրս, հայրս, եւ ուրիշ ազգականներս գործածել: Բայց, ես հիմա գիտեմ որ սխալ քերականութիւն է, ուրեմն ես միշտ կը փորձեմ չի գործածել: Նաեւ, ես հարցում մը ունիմ: Ես արեւմտեան հայերէն եմ (մասնաւորութեամբ Պէյրութահայ եւ Քուէյթահայ), եւ կ'ուզեմ գիտնալ եթէ լաւ կ'ըլլայ որ ես արեւելեան հայերէն սորվիմ, որովհետեւ ես կը սկամ որ սխալ հայերէն կը խօսիմ երբ ես արեւմտեան հայերէն կը խօսիմ քանի որ արեւելեան հայերէնը ինքնատիպն է:

(Ya, I'm used to using "gor" because, like everyone else, I always heard my mom, dad, and other relatives use it. But, now I know that it's incorrect grammar, so I always try not to use it. Also, I have a question. I'm Western Armenian (specifically Lebanese Armenian and Kuwait Armenian), and I want to know if I should learn Eastern Armenian, because I feel like I speak incorrect Armenian when I speak Western Armenian since Eastern Armenian was the original. )
            Last edited by Էլիա; 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Am i the only one having trouble reading his Armenian Font, eventhough his repeating it in english. Why not just type it in English at once.
              If your a Left Handed person like me, you are truly unique.

Comment

^What kind of trouble are you having reading it? Is it the computer or you don't understand it or what?

Comment

For the record, neither Eastern nor Western Armenian is the "original."

Both dialects are derived from Krapar. One set of dialects* developed on lands we call "Western Armenia." The other set of dialects* developed on lands we call "Eastern Armenia."

Eastern Armenian became the official language of Armenia due to historical happenstance and circumstance. That Western Armenian was relegated to the Diaspora does not make it less correct, original, or valuable.

* = I use the plural form because, as we know, both Eastern and Western Armenian were crafted from the regional dialects in their resspective regions.

Comment

Կրնա՞ս ինծի Գրաբառի օրինակ տաս, որովհետեւ ես դեռ շփոթուած եմ:

Could you please give me an example of Krapar because I'm still confused?

Comment

Originally posted by Էլիա
                      Կրնա՞ս ինծի Գրաբառի օրինակ տաս, որովհետեւ ես դեռ շփոթուած եմ:

Could you please give me an example of Krapar because I'm still confused?
                      Եկեղեցու շարականները գրաբար են, որ կարծում եմ աւելի մօտ լինեն արեւմտահայերէնին:

Comment

Working...
                      X