Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

arm. language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey People I am new at the site,, anyone interested to be a friend?

Comment

It's true, we shouldn't be competing with each other. It doesn't help us one bit. Sometimes we forget... We should support each other. Armenians who speak Armenian often look down upon the rest of us, but why?? Do they see it as a choice we have made? Do they feel we reject being Armenian by not speaking the language? That doesnt have to apply to every case.

I wish more Armophonic Armenians would support us and encourage us to learn in a good way, not criticize. Many of us are learning on our own, THAT is the choice we have made ourselves, not what language our families spoke to us throughout childhood.

Once I learn Armenian, I will be helpful and supportive to anyone I meet who is learning. Only when a person actually shows or says that they dont care about their heritage will I begin to look down upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Brigade
        I didnt want to hurt your pro Russian feelings created during the Soviet era, but Armenians are not slavs neither the Armenian language has nothing to do with anything slavic.
        The only thing you maybe hurt was my pride in knowledge about my culture not any special love of Russian. Of course we aren't Slavs, and Armenian is not a Slavic language. I am only for more independence and recognition for our nation. I hate to be called Russian. I always specify that I am Armenian, and tell people as much as they will understand about it. I did not mean to sound harsh either.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
          Originally posted by Red Brigade
          I think we should stop this ''we am more Armenians than you'' thing.It is serving the interests of our enemies and it just makes the drift between our people bigger.
          Agreed,

Love you man
          P.S. I'm still learning to be a better Armenian, btw
          If that is the case, then may I ask why most of your posts prove the contrary i.e. you are from a "better" Armenian Community?

As far as I'm concerned though, I would much rather prefer speaking Russo-Armenian, than the Armenian that contains many turkish words: shalvar, sapon, zibil, zeitun, etc... On the side note, Armenians in diaspora speak better Armenian than the Haiastancis (IMO).
          I would also prefer Russian words to *urkish ones; but is any of the words above *urkish? I seriously doubt!

The only people I ever remember not knowing Armenian or having a poor Armenian were Armenians who had a Russian parent or were brought up outside Armenia.
          I'm happy to know that you do not discriminate!

The rest of us all spoke it fluently (so the above bit is somewhat exaggerated). Us Haiastancis only had problem with vocabulary, not knowing the true Armenian words and instead opting for the foreign ones.
          Isn't your statement contradictory? So you spoke fluently the Armenian language using non-Armenian vocabulary.

Note: I have chosen to auto censor the words "*urk" or "*urkish" because it is commonly perceived as unpleasant and offending, evokes unpleasant emotions and imagery and is pregnant with immoral and evil connotations!
          Last edited by Siamanto; 06-04-2005, 12:50 PM.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
            Once I learn Armenian, I will be helpful and supportive to anyone I meet who is learning. Only when a person actually shows or says that they dont care about their heritage will I begin to look down upon them.
            Yes!

Noble!
            What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Siamanto (nice name btw),
              I do not and never have felt better or superior to any other Armenians, except for the Armenian prostitutes in turkey (I know I sounded harsh in that post, but anger is a powerful emotion) and few others of similar sort. My posts clearly specify that people in Armenia - a group I belong to - in fact had problems with speaking "pure" Armenian. We did speak fluent Armenian that was sprinkled with foreign or foreign derived vocabulary. So in fact you could say I was descriminating against myself. I also said that I found that people in Diaspora speak better Armenian. Also, by saying which were the families that didn't speak fluent Armenian I was merely stating a fact. I myself went to a school in Armenia, which had a Russian emphasis (there were 2 types of schools: with Armenian emphasis and Russian emphasis). We couldn't speak Armenian on the premises. Because of this I didn't speak as fluently as others whose families spoke only Armenian at home. I need to clarify that there are many levels of fluency. As far as the words I mentioned, they are in fact turkish. Of course that only means they are derived from other languages originally (it's prob what you ment).
              Last edited by karoaper; 06-04-2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Siamanto (nice name btw),
                I do not and never have felt better or superior to any other Armenians, except for the Armenian prostitutes in turkey (I know I sounded harsh in that post, but anger is a powerful emotion) and few others of similar sort. My posts clearly specify that people in Armenia - a group I belong to - in fact had problems with speaking "pure" Armenian. We did speak fluent Armenian that was sprinkled with foreign or foreign derived vocabulary. So in fact you could say I was descriminating against myself. I also said that I found that people in Diaspora speak better Armenian. Also, by saying which were the families that didn't speak fluent Armenian I was merely stating a fact. I myself went to a school in Armenia, which had a Russian emphasis (there were 2 types of schools: with Armenian emphasis and Russian emphasis). We couldn't speak Armenian on the premises. Because of this I didn't speak as fluently as others whose families spoke only Armenian at home. .
                karoaper,
                We're cool!
                Yes, I am the spirit of an unborn descendant of Siamanto!
                I just think that you were a little unfair towards those who did not have the opportunity to learn Armenian and who usually make a bigger effort than those who are fortunate enough to live in communities where Armenian is spoken.
                I see what you mean about Armenians speaking *urkish; it annoys me too, but I know very "hayaser" Armenians from TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey. I agree that they should not speak *urkish and it may upset me, but I would not reject them because of that.

I need to clarify that there are many levels of fluency. As far as the words I mentioned, they are in fact turkish. Of course that only means they are derived from other languages originally (it's prob what you ment).
                Are you sure enough to bet on it?
                They may be used in *urkish, but they don't sound *urkish; they are probably loaned words to Persian, Arabic or...
                For instance "zeitun" is also used in Spanish i.e. "aceituna." "Shalvar" sounds Persian, not *urkish. "Sapon" is the French "savon" or the Spanish "jabón." etc. etc.
                Are we betting?
                Last edited by Siamanto; 06-04-2005, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto
                  karoaper,
                  Are you sure enough to bet on it?
                  They may be used in *urkish, but they don't sound *urkish; they are probably loaned words to Persian, Arabic or...
                  For instance "zeitun" is also used in Spanish i.e. "aceituna." "Shalvar" sounds Persian, not *urkish. "Sapon" is the French "savon" or the Spanish "jabón." etc. etc.
                  Are we betting?
                  Ok, let's bet say 30 dram. Comon that's a lot of money. You're right in fact that the words are all foreign and non-turkish (shield your eyes) derived. In fact sapon is directly taken from italian sapone. My point was that we prob took these words from turks.

By the way, these are the words in Armenian for said items (soap - otcharr, pants - vartik, olive - dzetaptugh, garbage - akhp).

Comment

Ok, let's bet say 30 dram. Comon that's a lot of money. You're right in fact that the words are all foreign and non-turkish (shield your eyes) derived. In fact sapon is directly taken from italian sapone. My point was that we prob took these words from turks.

By the way, these are the words in Armenian for said items (soap - otcharr, pants - vartik, olive - dzetaptugh, garbage - akhp).
                    I had in mind 1 dram, but I'll take your 30 drams. Great, now I can afford to buy...*thinks hard*

Thanks for the translation. I already knew the words. By the way, "tsitab@dough" and "aceituna/zeitun" have the same root! Also, in Western Armenian "vardig" means underpants and is rather used by kids! "Dapad" is pants!

Comment

It's true, we shouldn't be competing with each other. It doesn't help us one bit. Sometimes we forget... We should support each other. Armenians who speak Armenian often look down upon the rest of us, but why?? Do they see it as a choice we have made? Do they feel we reject being Armenian by not speaking the language? That doesnt have to apply to every case.

I wish more Armophonic Armenians would support us and encourage us to learn in a good way, not criticize. Many of us are learning on our own, THAT is the choice we have made ourselves, not what language our families spoke to us throughout childhood.

absolutely totally agree

Comment

Working...
                      X