Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Favorite Armenian Dishes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Armenian Dishes ...

I looked at all the pages under the General Armenian subject and I couldn't find a single thread about Armenian cuisine. What's up with that?

I thought there would be at least one thread on this topic given how much Armenians enjoy eating and specifically eating Armenian dishes. Anyway just let us know your favorite Armenian dishes or favorite Armenian cookbooks that you use.

I'll start with some basics ...

Dolma, Kuftah (sp?), Lahmahjoon, Boreg and Monte ... MMmmm Yummy!

My Grandfathers pilaf recipe and shish marinade ... I'm pretty sure they're his personal variations but I can post the recipes if you'd like, if I can find them ... maybe my sister has them ,,,

I've made both the boreg dough and monte which were pretty simple although time intensive as most Armenian dishes are. I really love monte although I've kind of had a hard time stabilizing my variation!! lol I grew up having known two versions. One I refer to as the traditional montewith the dough and lamb tomato broth, and the other is the quick vegetarian version(not vegan!) , not intentionally just that's the way it is ... I can post that recipe as well if you'd like.

Now keep in mind that I'm SURE, for our Armenian brothers and sisters in Armenia who check out these forums, that they could really contribute a lot to this thread in regards to keeping recipes authentic, or letting me and other ppl know what's up with the real food in Armenia.

Don't be shy now!

None of what you listed is "Armenian" I don't think. Dolma is probably greek ... kufta sounds turkish. Lamajoon is probably Lebanonese. The rest, a lot if it is Russian or Iranian. It's sad to say that Armenians have no dishes of their own. The only thing that I would consider real Armenian food is xhorovats but then again, it really didn't take much genius to put some meat on scewers and throw them on fire

It's kind of sad considering how creative Armenians have been throughout history. Now either I am completely ignorant (entirely possible), or there is really no truelly Armenian dish. God I hope I'm wrong.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
      None of what you listed is "Armenian" I don't think. Dolma is probably greek ... kufta sounds turkish. Lamajoon is probably Lebanonese. The rest, a lot if it is Russian or Iranian. It's sad to say that Armenians have no dishes of their own. The only thing that I would consider real Armenian food is xhorovats but then again, it really didn't take much genius to put some meat on scewers and throw them on fire

It's kind of sad considering how creative Armenians have been throughout history. Now either I am completely ignorant (entirely possible), or there is really no truelly Armenian dish. God I hope I'm wrong.
      Not sure dolma should be considered just Greek. It'd be like saying the borsh is just Ukrainian, and not Moldavian or Russian. There was a lot of travel and cultural exchange between the countries of Asia minor and the south-east Europe so I think the food belongs to the whole region rather than just one country. Same for shish kabab or khorovats, it's a staple dish of Asia Minor, not just Armenian or Iranian or Turkish.

For myself, I love harissa, the heartiest meal I know. I also love a dish called "Chakhov Belli". The name might be Georgian though. It's a chicken in a tomatoey sauce. The chicken melts in your mouth, it's so tender.

Comment

Of course Sip - Armenians just didn't eat before the Turks, Greeks, Lebanese and Russians came along. I think it is a big mistake to assume that a food is not your/ones own just because it is either shared by others, perhaps was even originated by others or because some other language's name has caught on for what most call it. I am no expert on the origins of these particular foods - but I daresay - considering the long agricultural and animal husbandry tradition among Armenians that perhaps a few of these foods were not originated by us...and even if not - they are ours - be they ours from the Levant or the Central Highlands or the Caucuses or from far away Persia - in each case they have become Armenian - known by others (in many cases) as such, and certainly are prepared in a manner that make them Armenian. And the fact that Armenians have the reputation as superb cooks of such (and are/have been the official royal chefs in many Middle Eastern nations/for many Middle Eastern leaders also says something. I also think that the fact that the latin names of several fruits (such as Apricot), various anatolian critters and such is a testament of our historical presence in the region and our role in developing civilization (including food, drink, and more) there - regardless of what these things may now be known by in other languages (or perhaps even in Armenian). And one thing I certainly think Armenians do not lack is creativity. I also think that the regional/cultural influences Armenians have absorbed by our exposure to other nations such as Persia, Lebanon, Greece etc has made us richer as a people - not diminished us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip

Maybe that's why there wasn't a thread on this topic already!!!!

Okay okay let's not go off on a tangent about the origins of the dishes lol Obviously there are similarities b/w many countries dishes and our own, however we definitely have our own spin on each recipe and the above recipes are definitely under the umbrella of Armenian dishes, unless Sonia Uvezian and her recipe book, The Cuisine of Armenia, are utterly crap. In the sleeve she states that Armenian cuisine is ...

"...a highly varied and exotic style with roots in Turkey , Iran, the Caucasus, and the Levant."

So I guess you're correct. She later states ...

"The combination of many influences plus pride in national heritage has given Armenians a richly varied cuisine that, in addition to preserving its many original dishes, has skillfully assimilated foods of other cultures that left their imprint on the land. Conversely, as Armenians settled throughout the Middle East, many of their recipes became part of their cuisines of other countries in the area."

There was obviously a lot of sharing of ideas throughout the Middle East and Mediterranean wouldn't you agree? Which came first the chicken or the egg, ya know? We obviously borrowed ideas from our neighbors and the opposite seems to be true as well.

As far as monte goes I've never had anything similar or read a recipe that even comes close ...

N E WAY let's talk food I'm HUNGRY!

Do you have a favorite Armenian"ish" dish Sip?

You too Winoman!!
          Last edited by Lamb Boy; 10-18-2005, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Are any here familiar with eech (or Ich)? It is somewhat like tabolee but tomato (sauce) infused and less liquidy. To my knowledge this dish/variation is particular to Armenians (and from only a particular area in Anatolia - though i don't know where - my guess would be in the Cililcia region. It is a personal favorite that we often make here by the bucketload where we can munch on it - sometimes 3 meals a day until we get tired of it and it runs out...then we get a craving for it all over again and make up another batch. Best with fresh parsely and tomatos of course....I do a version with about 6-7 different kind of peppers in it - ussually i make it with whatever I have on hand from our garden or that I pick up at the local farmers market...(mostly sweet or just mildly hot..I'd love to do a really spicy version sometime though - but never have...)..

Comment

I think I have had something very similar (if not identical - don't know) to monte from an Afghanistani - called mante!

I have Uvezian's book as well as 3 or 4 others and a very nice Persian cookbook - all of which I occasionally mine for great recepies...

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
                I think I have had something very similar (if not identical - don't know) to monte from an Afghanistani - called mante!

I have Uvezian's book as well as 3 or 4 others and a very nice Persian cookbook - all of which I occasionally mine for great recepies...
                Sonia is on point most of the time but still some of the things my Grandma would cook up were not quite the same as the recipes in her book.

What are the titles of the other recipe books you have? I was going to work my way through this book, unless there is a more accurate book which I would prefer. If I could only read Armenian!! Urrrrgghhhh very frustrating...

Comment

Originally posted by Sip

Many of them can be considered Armenian. Actually, they should call them "Anatolian" or "Balkan" dishes. Bosnia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Yugoslavia, and surrounding countries mostly eat the same stuff we do. But no one can prepare them like we can!

Comment

Besides "The Cuisine of Armenia" (originally recomended to me bt a J ewish friend...just a point of interest) I have the classic (orange binder style) - "Armenian Cooking Today" by Alice Antreassian (my copy is the 4th edition)...she also has a (green covered) vegitearian only cookbook which I do not own; then I own this little "The Armenian Cookbook" by Rachel Hogrogian (1980 printing) - and she addresses this very issue of [obscure and overlapping] food origins in the introduction, and I have "Armenian Cuisine From our Home...to Yours - private printing from St george Arm Apos Church in Hartford Connecticut; and of course my handwritten (by my mother) index cards of "family recipes" which my mother insists are just that nad have nothing specifically to do with being Armenian (long story) - though of course every one is pretty much entirely Armenian! And I also occasionally consult "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden (who is/was perhaps married to a Turk it seems...and it includes Turkish, Arabic, xxxish and Persian recepies (occasionally with some interesting commentary on how Egyptians would do it different then Lebanese or Syrian and such...and then Persian Cuisine by M.R. Ghanoonparvar (printed in English and Persain - all the rest are in English BTW). My wife makes the most fantastic Persian Style basamati parbroiled rice BTW and it is this more so then Pilaf that we ussually have with our (my!!) Xorovats...because its ussually better then my pilaf...and I love the sticky/crunchy stuff with the butter in the bottom!

Comment

Working...
                    X