Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Favorite Armenian Dishes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Armenian Dishes ...

Originally posted by Quarteria
    ^^ You've never had lahmajoun?!!!! ...Though, I've never heard about it (officially) with cheese. My Uncle introduced me to shredded cheese on top of it (he's non-Armo) and told me when my GreatGrandma saw him do that, it looked like she wanted to break his arms.

Anyway, I just tried that yellowish mashed lentel stuff this past Sunday...better than I expected, good, actually, even.

Anyway, choreg, those sugar cookies (korabia? -- sp?), sou bourag (I'm an expert on making this, but, I learned with brick cheese), and am I the only one here who LOVES kheyma? Good stuff!

Not that I remember...the only dish that my grandma used to make with pita bread was what's called Beirut Sandwich (that's the brazilian name) with roast beef, tomatos, lettuce and a very yummy sauce...

Shame on me I guess...hehehe...I'm gonna make it this weekend...now, would it be as good if I used ground beef? I'm not really used to eating lamb (in Brazil, you won't find lamb meat anywhere), so all the Armenian dishes I had were always with beef instead of lamb...

Btw, is there an Armenian sweet dish that uses angel hair pasta broken into little pieces and sprinkled on top??? My grandma used to make it a lot, but I can't remember the name...

Comment

^^ Now that I don't know.

But, yeah, my Great Grandma always used ground beef. It works really well...You know, looking over that recipe again, that's not how my Great Grandma made it. Tomato Paste was used, garlic wasn't...as a matter of fact, I just remember the meat, tomato paste (maybe tomato sauce as well), and onions...AND, it wasn't on pita, either. My GG made her own dough. You know what, HOPEFULLY I can remember when I go to Indiana the next time (my Aunt & Uncle live there...they may have the recipe) to get you THAT recipe. It sounds much better....did that sound elitist?

Comment

hehehe...I'd love to have the recipe from an actual Armenian...I bet it's a lot better...I'll let you know how this one is going to turn out...hopefully good...

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
          None of what you listed is "Armenian" I don't think. Dolma is probably greek ... kufta sounds turkish. Lamajoon is probably Lebanonese. The rest, a lot if it is Russian or Iranian. It's sad to say that Armenians have no dishes of their own. The only thing that I would consider real Armenian food is xhorovats but then again, it really didn't take much genius to put some meat on scewers and throw them on fire

It's kind of sad considering how creative Armenians have been throughout history. Now either I am completely ignorant (entirely possible), or there is really no truelly Armenian dish. God I hope I'm wrong.

Let not forget that all the dishes cooked by Turks, and Arabs were armenian, dolma and kufte and etc they all were Armenian and Greek. Howeher with the time not only our people were killed but also our culture was stolen. WHERE IS THE ZOVITS ZOV HAYASDAN?
          And basterma? i'm not sure which bloody Turk doesn't eat basterma. He loves it but just because it's Armenian he doesn't have it.

Comment

I haven't heard Greek dolma. Their claim is on sarma which is similar with dolma. Persians say dolma is Persian food. Manti and Lahmacun can also be Armenian food.

Manti: known orgin is Kayseri

Lahmacun: known orgin is South-East Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Selpak
              I haven't heard Greek dolma. Their claim is on sarma which is similar with dolma. Persians say dolma is Persian food. Manti and Lahmacun can also be Armenian food.

Manti: known orgin is Kayseri

Lahmacun: known orgin is South-East Turkey.
              oh well hayastantsis call it TOLMA and western armenians, greeks, turks call it sarma. it's basically the same thing, although every person cookes it differently.

Comment

oh well hayastantsis call it TOLMA and western armenians, greeks, turks call it sarma. it's basically the same thing, although every person cookes it differently.
                verb "sarmak" (rolling) noun: "sarma" made up with grape leaf, cabbage, etc.

verb "dolmak" (filling) noun: "dolma" made up with bell pepper, courgette, tomato, potato, etc.

What you put inside could be same. Western Turks and Greeks like it with olive oil, cold. Eastern Turks and Armenians, Araps,.. etc like it with meat. Armenians use some cinnamon, my mother use currant for its pilav.

Comment

Question:

My grandma used to bake this sweet dish that had ricotta and some kind of sweet sauce in the filling and on top, angel hair with caramel (not sure if it was caramel...). No one in my family has the recipe nor knows the name of it, and since she's passed there's no way for me to find out...any ideas of what could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Selpak
                    verb "sarmak" (rolling) noun: "sarma" made up with grape leaf, cabbage, etc.

verb "dolmak" (filling) noun: "dolma" made up with bell pepper, courgette, tomato, potato, etc.

What you put inside could be same. Western Turks and Greeks like it with olive oil, cold. Eastern Turks and Armenians, Araps,.. etc like it with meat. Armenians use some cinnamon, my mother use currant for its pilav.
                    you are not barsgahay are you? My nana puts currant for the pilav too. with azafran is nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JenMinassian
                      Question:

My grandma used to bake this sweet dish that had ricotta and some kind of sweet sauce in the filling and on top, angel hair with caramel (not sure if it was caramel...). No one in my family has the recipe nor knows the name of it, and since she's passed there's no way for me to find out...any ideas of what could it be?

it's not ghadeif is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X