Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Three Turkish Voices At UCLA, November 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamb Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonymouse
    You also misuse the term "racism". It's in the wrong context. Stop the whole phucking racism rant. I'm sick of the p.c. smear word uttered by every third person trying to pass off themselves as beyond the mere plebians with their "humanitarian" and "sublime" goals of somehow being "non judgemental".
    Agreed that in Bells original post about the flyer being racists is a misuse of the term, but in the example I laid out it is the exact correct usage of the word. Show me evidence that I am wrong and please don't make me post a definition. I don't know where you buy your dictionary and all but I am surprised that you don't actually understand the word and its usage. Don't refer to the examples I laid out about distrust plz. I hate repeating myself to those incapable of disseminating correct information ... from my post, from a dictionary ... probably from a lot of other things as well.

Thai Ninja ... to think that this microcosm of Armenian opinions somehow dissolves after the ppl here leave these forums is seriously naive. Lets not kid ourselves ... I’ve been hearing this stuff all my life, haven’t you? However at least the ppl I heard it from before actually lived through the genocide and imo had much more legitimate argument/complaints than those of us who did not.

Flame away ...

Leave a comment:

• Anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Lamb Boy
    However to hate Turks because of our history is racists.

For example I've met a many Turkish ppl here in the U.S. who were born and raised in the U.S. as well. Since I am a "diasporan", and essentially they are as well, should I let a history book dictate the way I treat this person? In this case it's more than obvious that the previous atrocities committed by ppl of the same ethnic background have nothing at all to do with these ppl, or me for that matter. If I treat them differently (i.e. with less respect than anybody else I might randomly meet) then I am a racists as I would be using their race as a catalyst for my disapproval of that person.

You should not chalk it up to they did us wrong so I can distrust (read hate in disguise) any Turkish person I meet in the future. I mean distrust? Please. So if we were playing the fall backwards game where someone is supposed to catch you on the way down, and in this example the ppl doing the catching were of Turkish descent, you wouldn't trust them to catch you? What if you hailed a Turkish cabbie would you believe they wouldn't take you to where you wanted to go? Turkish restaurant ... you wouldn't believe that your food would ever arrive? That's distrust ... if you dislike someone just because they are Turkish then that dislike is not only a truly racists sentiment but you yourself become a racists in the process.

Imo not only do the Turkish ppl need to come clean about the atrocities they created and inflicted on the Armenian ppl but Armenians need to let go of this cancerous topic that is killing our culture from the inside out. It's like they're still killing us although it now stems from ourselves to ourselves. Very sad indeed. Let it go unless it happened to you directly or, for those here who still live in Armenia and might still be facing hate towards Armenians, be the bigger person or ppl and do not lower yourselves for other racists ... even if it's a entire country.

I hate California ... seriously!! J/k Man ya'll get all the good stuff in respect to ... well everything! Gotta move out their pretty soon as all my friends moved out there. All of ya'll are out there. I could heckle you guys in person!!
    Hello I am Lamb Boy feed me lamb :
    You also misuse the term "racism". It's in the wrong context. Stop the whole phucking racism rant. I'm sick of the p.c. smear word uttered by every third person trying to pass off themselves as beyond the mere plebians with their "humanitarian" and "sublime" goals of somehow being "non judgemental".
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-04-2005, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thai-Samurai
    replied
    Genocide issue isn't eating Armenians; its just that on this forum, Turks keep coming and posting crap.

Leave a comment:

• Lamb Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by karoaper
    To distrust the turks for an Armenian is not racism, because our opinion of them is formed through many centuries of bad history.
    However to hate Turks because of our history is racists.

For example I've met a many Turkish ppl here in the U.S. who were born and raised in the U.S. as well. Since I am a "diasporan", and essentially they are as well, should I let a history book dictate the way I treat this person? In this case it's more than obvious that the previous atrocities committed by ppl of the same ethnic background have nothing at all to do with these ppl, or me for that matter. If I treat them differently (i.e. with less respect than anybody else I might randomly meet) then I am a racists as I would be using their race as a catalyst for my disapproval of that person.

You should not chalk it up to they did us wrong so I can distrust (read hate in disguise) any Turkish person I meet in the future. I mean distrust? Please. So if we were playing the fall backwards game where someone is supposed to catch you on the way down, and in this example the ppl doing the catching were of Turkish descent, you wouldn't trust them to catch you? What if you hailed a Turkish cabbie would you believe they wouldn't take you to where you wanted to go? Turkish restaurant ... you wouldn't believe that your food would ever arrive? That's distrust ... if you dislike someone just because they are Turkish then that dislike is not only a truly racists sentiment but you yourself become a racists in the process.

Imo not only do the Turkish ppl need to come clean about the atrocities they created and inflicted on the Armenian ppl but Armenians need to let go of this cancerous topic that is killing our culture from the inside out. It's like they're still killing us although it now stems from ourselves to ourselves. Very sad indeed. Let it go unless it happened to you directly or, for those here who still live in Armenia and might still be facing hate towards Armenians, be the bigger person or ppl and do not lower yourselves for other racists ... even if it's a entire country.

I hate California ... seriously!! J/k Man ya'll get all the good stuff in respect to ... well everything! Gotta move out their pretty soon as all my friends moved out there. All of ya'll are out there. I could heckle you guys in person!!
    Hello I am Lamb Boy feed me lamb :

Leave a comment:

• Anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    Race should have nothing to do with it. But here it obviously is, since it is given such extreme prominance in that poster. It suggests that the primary reason they are there is because they are Turkish, and not because they have useful things to say.
    Many Turks would be classed as white or caucasian not black. It remains that the mixing has blurred the lines. Turkish is an ethnic group and certainly used in that connotation. Your assertion of "race" is misplaced.

What it "suggests" is hardly approachable as only psychics can tell what it suggests. It means no more and nothing less than what it is saying. Three Turkish scholars who deviate from the norm of Turkish discourse. I usually agree with your inputs but in this case, I do not.

Leave a comment:

• bell-the-cat
    replied
    Originally posted by winoman
    Whats even more ludicrous is to ID someone as belonging to a certain ethnic group - when they are widely known as such and likely consider themselves to be such.
    You have just made my point for me. Anyone would know, just by looking at their names, that there is some sort of Turkish background to all three individuals. So why did they give further emphasis to that in the poster.

Leave a comment:

• bell-the-cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonymouse
    In your book maybe, but race has nothing to do with it here and your original usage of "racism" implies race, therefore it is misplaced. That's all.
    Race should have nothing to do with it. But here it obviously is, since it is given such extreme prominance in that poster. It suggests that the primary reason they are there is because they are Turkish, and not because they have useful things to say.

Leave a comment:

• ArmenianKid
    replied
    To bad i cant go i only live about 1000 miles away. that and im tired of hearing old turks whine.

Leave a comment:

• Thai-Samurai
    replied
    I for one would like to nominate them for the Noble Peace Prize. (The 3 scholars)
    And I would even go so far to adopt their children and raise them Christian to show how much I appreciate their cause.
    Last edited by Thai-Samurai; 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• winoman
    replied
    Whats even more ludicrous is to ID someone as belonging to a certain ethnic group - when they are widely known as such and likely consider themselves to be such.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X