Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Best Cowboy Movie Ever Made is Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Che_Ka
    I'm probably the least 'militant' gay man you'll come across. I'm quiet, I don't go to gay pride events, I don't proclaim my gayness unless I'm asked. I don't see it as a defining characteristic of my being.

Truth be told, I believe it is your right to dislike homosexuality. Hey, it doesn't really make much sense to me, but I can't deny how I feel. What I object to is the intolerance of it. No, more than intolerance. I can't think of the English word, but in Armenian it's "vokh." I've never understood it. I couldn't feel that way about any group of people, maybe because I've felt it directed at me. (I won't use the intolerant Turk card.)

I wasn't objecting to your refusal to see the movie. I'm not gonna see it either. It does look lame. In fact, my original post was meant for the poster above you. He used a word I don't care to repeat. More than that, he seemed to have 'vokh' towards gays. Your subsequent post merely instigated me further. When you responded with your idea of 'limited compassion,' that's when I began to direct my comments to you.
    My point about limited compassion is valid, because it is eventually a human trait, which means it cannot exist beyond a certain limit. As humans, we are naturally discriminatory, and prejudicial. There is no way to absolve this. I repeat, there is no way to absolve this natural, biological and cognitive fact about man, that he naturally, and willfully discriminates simply by existing. This process applies not only to our everyday actions of choosing what to eat and what not to eat, but what car to drive or buy, what classes we should take, what books we should read, or what movies we should watch, etc. And it also applies to race, culture, and sex (because some people prefer associating one of the given over another whether dating or otherwise).

So, by choosing to eat a burger, we are ipso facto discriminating against eating pizza, or Chinese food, or thai cuisine (yuck). By choosing to buy or drive a Ford, we are ipso facto discrimating against a Saturn, or Japanese and German cars. By choosing to be a history major, and reading books related to history, we are ipso facto discriminating against all majors that are not history majors, and all books that are not history books. By expressing a liking for or choosing to watch horror movies, we are discriminating against all movies that are not horror movies. By choosing to hire someone that is white, we are discriminating against hiring someone that is black. By choosing to hire someone that is black, we are discriminating against hiring someone that is white. By choosing to marry someone that is Asian, we are discriminating against all those who are not Asians. By choosing to have sex with women, we are discriminating against men. By choosing to have sex with men, we are discriminating against women. Do you see the pattern? If anything is true to its original intent or definition it is by that fact itself discriminatory, since it's something that doesn't intersect with all the other things.

Every society and its institutions are intolerant of some sort of behavior. Unqualified toleration is not only nonsensical, it is impossible and lethal. A society’s toleration can be either coercive or non coercive. Since coercion is the exclusive province of the state, the state’s intolerance is necessarily coercive. There is, of course and there must be a non-coercive intolerance. Society can shun or frown on certain behavior or attitudes that it deems unjust or in some way inappropriate. Intolerance, whether coercive or non coercive, always occurs in terms of a society’s or its institutions’ premises.

With all due respect kind sage, I have not showed any coercive intolerance towards you. In fact, I am of the persuasion that does not believe marriage should exist at all, and if it does, it should not be a legal matter of the State, or licensing. It should be privatized and made a private matter between Church or whatever religious institution you belong to.

Don't like gay people, fine. Don't agree with their 'lifestyle,' fine. Vote against gay marriage, great. Decide not to see gay movies, good. But don't go out of your way to make gay people feel that they aren't worthy human beings. That's my point.
    I don't think I said gays are not worthy human beings. They are human beings that is the point, and no one is depriving them of that humanity. I do not care for you being gay, or your lifestyle. I just don't like it when it is shoved down my throat by the more vulgar of the homosexuals. At the gym they often stare at me in a perverted and vulgar manner, and is rather uncomfortable and disgusting. That occurs among men and women as well, and should be shunned upon. That is not exclusively a homosexual monopoly. But that this happened to have occured with me, at the gym, among gays, is why I raise the point.

I often wonder about what prejudicial Armenians would think when they found out that I am one of the staunchest supporters of Armenian culture. I plan to dedicate a chunk of my life to promoting our language. I plan to retire in Armenia. In my wildest dreams, I want to adopt a child from Armenia, and learn Eastern Armenian to give him or her the best upbringing I can. (But I can't. Single men, unlike single women, are not allowed to adopt in Armenia.) Would they still be comfortable in calling me derogatory names, when they realize we have more in common than they'd first thought? Anyway, I'm just babbling...
    You know what? I don't give a shyt man. You are a supporter of Armenian culture, that is all that matters. I don't care about your sexuality. Furthermore, if I found out my son or daughter was a homosexual, and if it came down to it, I would never disown them or throw them out. That is cold and not like a parent should be. That is my point.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-10-2005, 11:52 PM.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Dear Anonymouse

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      You know what? I don't give a shyt man. You are a supporter of Armenian culture, that is all that matters. I don't care about your sexuality. Furthermore, if I found out my son or daughter was a homosexual, and if it came down to it, I would never disown them or throw them out. That is cold and not like a parent should be. That is my point.
      I like the way that despite the fact that Anonymouse is down to the ground true to life he still has a heart.
      You know what differentiates human beings from animals? The fact that we could produce emotional tears. There is something divine about human beings that no science has the capacity to explain; we have in each of us a piece of Jesus Christ, a piece of God.

It is a really tough life for homosexuals. Why would anyone wish to be a part of such a life of detest and disgrace. It is even tougher being a homosexual Armenian. Do you people not understand that all you have in this foreign nation is each other? Be supportive of one another, for the sake of Armenia. If you discover that your friend or child is a homosexual, the worst thing you could do is disown them. What if that person commits suicide because you make him/her feel like he/she is worthless and unworthy of the life that you have? All man commits sin, and I say to you if you have commited less sin than the homosexual then go ahead and persecute him/her. But you see, in God's eyes all sin is treated equally. He is most intolerant of lying. Read the Bible, He considers this among the most abominable forms of sin. And while we try to understand the root of this issue of homosexuality, try to understand why these people prefer people of the same sex for love, you are not God to shun them from society and degrade them. Let God deal with it. But remember this, the Bible was written by the hand of man, not God Himself, and it contains within it the prejudice of man (not only toward homosexuals, but toward women as well). And before you know for certain why people are homosexuals, trust me you dont want the death of your friend or child on your conscience.

I part with a quotation by Anonymouse!
      "That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." ----Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

noones going to hurt him for being gay in Armenia unless he walks around with a gay pride flag. people there are just not used to homosexuality being in the open as over the years homosexuals in armenia and throughout the soviet union have suppressed their feelings and married into normal families and had children and so forth. thats not what im saying you should do as basing your whole life on something you dont feel seems really stupid and sounds very torturous to me.

But yeah, as anon said, it think it is the culture being shoved down peoples throats and overemphasized that pisses off most people. Im always arguing with my girlfriend because she continuously calls me intolerant and so forth because i happen not to support gay marriage and the adoption of children into gay families, although im completely for civil unions and so forth. Anyway, shes a big liberal and somewhat obsessed with the topic and always gets on my case about it and i think it just further alienates me from seeing things from a gay point of view and being rational about the situation.

Comment

Meh, I'd rather see Brokeback Mountain than that Rumor Has It movie with Jennifer Aniston. Looks like crapola.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashlite
            I like the way that despite the fact that Anonymouse is down to the ground true to life he still has a heart.
            What is this supposed to mean?

Originally posted by Flashlite
            I part with a quotation by Anonymouse!
            "That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." ----Friedrich Nietzsche
            The irony is that Nietzsche was against the appeal to Christianity which you displayed.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian
              noones going to hurt him for being gay in Armenia unless he walks around with a gay pride flag.
              Its happened before. Where people knew he was gay, and the beat and killed him for it. Our society is not ready to tackle the "tolerance of gays" issue yet.

Comment

This thread reminds me of American Beauty.

Comment

Boo to American Beauty.

Comment

Boo to American Beauty.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                      Boo to American Beauty.
                      What the mouse said.

Comment

Working...
                      X