Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Pictures from my trip to Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures from my trip to Armenia

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    That is not correct. The majority of buildings that have been demolished were constructed during the Czarist-period.
    It is short-sighted to say that buildings that are not old are not, or do not have the potentual to be, important historical landmarks. For example, although dating only from the 1970s the "Palace of Youth" was a landmark structure, and an irreplacable building for the architectural history of Yerevan. In any other country it would have been protected against demolition.
    The Palace of Youth - we call it "Kertsats Koukoorooz" - which means Bitten Corn, cause it looks like somebody took a bite off of it, ya know?

Anyway, as far as im concerned, that building is STILL there.

I remember hearing some news like that about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
      no, I read it fine... I'm talking about the earthquake in Armenia. I was unaware that they were building up Yerevan to look like a modern compact European city.
      You are unaware because they are not! They are doing the exact opposite. You HAVE misunderstood my post.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by ace
        The Palace of Youth - we call it "Kertsats Koukoorooz" - which means Bitten Corn, cause it looks like somebody took a bite off of it, ya know?

Anyway, as far as im concerned, that building is STILL there.

I remember hearing some news like that about it though.
        It's long gone: demolished last year.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

You are unaware because they are not! They are doing the exact opposite. You HAVE misunderstood my post.
          Ok, I guess so then. But you said that in the 90s, they had a "chance" to do such a thing... I got the impression that they actually started work on it and boosted the moral of the public, since you seemed to be at the defense of my relative who insulted Montreal's architecture.

Comment

It's long gone: demolished last year.
            Omg, you stupid parasite, I know my country better then you do.

That building is STILL THERE. The pathetic oligarchy wanted to bring it down because they said it was an earthquake hazard, and they were gonna rebuild it better, with 10 additional floors. And THAT is what you're referring to last year, it did not get demolished, it is still there.

Comment

wow.

Comment

Some pointless pictures for the pompous self-proclaimed "Armenian". The demolition of the affordable houses of ordinary people near the center of Yerevan, because the mafiosi/politicians don't like the idea of such people living so close to their seat of power.
                Correct Catman, pointless pictures. And the Swastika was most probably something you painted for "shock and awe" effect, correct?

As far as I'm concerned, the demolition of slums must continue. Yerevan must modernize. The poor will do better on the outskirts of the city.

Catman, you need to study the "evolution" of Londonistan before you can give us advise about Yerevan. I wonder if slums would have been allowed near 10 Downing street, or Westminster? I wonder if slums would be allowed to exists in midtown New York City? I wonder if slums would be allowed to remain in downtown Vienna?

Can't you go off and Champion the plight of drunken Scotts or something? I mean we do approciate your great effort regarding Virtual-Ani, but why stick your nose everywhere it don't belong? Do you find Armos going into British forums and annoying the kaka out of people? Do you find Armos sticking their big noses into your affairs?
                Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

In a decade or two, Yerevan will become a decent modernized city if construction continues at this rate.

However, there's no sign of this construction boom in the smaller cities and towns.

Comment

Armenia doesn't have much of a middle class anymore. There are mostly now only the very rich, and the poor. No need to guess which group is getting those new houses.
                    The Armenian nation has not had a "middle class" in about a hundred years.

During soviet times most Armenians were living in poverty but they did not know it. And a minority, the party elite, had a decent life. A middle class is only now slowly begining to emerge. And yes, those new buildings are foreseen for wealthy diasporans and natives. What we are seeing now is the natural evolution of a modern city. Again, don't stick your nose where it don't belong, Catman.

And it's been about two years, and I'm still waiting for you to say something smart.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Proves what a downright liar you are.
                      Proves what a downright lunatic you are

NO HISTORIC LANDMARKS HAVE BEEN DEMOLISHED.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X