Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Etymology of Armenian First Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Etymology of Armenian First Names

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
    The trailing 'a' is sometimes dropped even by Russians when say calling that person. The 'a' is indeed seen on almost all diminutive versions, but in Armenian, this is an optional thing.
    Another example I can think of would be taking the 'a' from Grisha, the popular Grish,
    I have spent some time with some Russian friends/colleagues who explained the usage of the different "declinations" of a First Name in Russian - including dropping the trailing 'a.' The following is a brief summary of what I've learned - of course, it may or may not correspond to the usage in Armenia:
    1. The different "declinations" or forms of a First Name reflect - and depend on - the relationships and the proper protocol to address the person; in other words, a person formally called "Vladimir" may be called "Volodya" in a casual professional relationship but, not in a formal professional relationship unless the person is comfortable with it or presents himself as "Volodya." In any case, a peron usually indicates that he/she accepts being called in a certain way.
    A Vladimir may not be called "Vova" or "Vovochka" in a business environment, but only by close friends and relatives. In a business environment, it may be perceived as a form of contempt.

2. As for dropping the trailing 'a,' the following seems of interest:
    It somehow implies confidential nature. You say "Dim" instead of "Dima" only in a private conversation and usually when you want to confide something or somehow solicit his honest but private opinion.
    Can be used in professional relations also when you want to show closer relationship with that person in front of the others. .....

Serozh is just like any dropping of "a". If you have a very close relation with the gentlemen, you may use it...Otherwise it is a more of the term of contempt.

In other words, it is inaccurate to consider "Vova" or "Volodya" as First Names as they simply are different forms - "declinations" - to address a person with the First Name "Vladimir." Of course, the same applies to other First Names and its "declinations."

P.S.
    By the way, I've been told that, less frequently, "Dima" may be used to address a Vadim or Vladimir.

In other words, Armenians are not required to abide by the Russian convention of having the 'a', even though they certainly know that it's the proper way.
    I'm not sure what was meant, but "to be required to abide by" seems a very strong expression when it comes to such linguistic "habits" - foreign or not - that are not governed by strict grammatical rules; usually, they are reproduced or mimicked.
    Furthermore, such linguistic habits do not evolve - or are adapted, either by Armenians or Russians - based on conscious and/or unanimous decisions: they just happen depending on usage and usage is conditioned by circumstances, social protocols, cultural values etc.

even Armenianizing it as Grishik.
    For the record, the suffix "ik" is not necessarily Armenian; actually, Ukrainians use it as well, maybe others too??????

Another example: a very 'rabiz' version of Volodia is Volod. As in: "Ara en Volod@ Losic nor heta darcel, het@ karsun zuik koshika berel".
    I don't know if "Volod" is a "rabiz?????" form of "Volodya," but it is the Ukrainian form of "Volodya" i.e. a diminutive of "Volodimir/Volodymyr." That was the feeling of the Russians and I used to have an Ukranian colleague, named "Volodymyr," that we called "Volod."

To conclude, I would simply add:
    "Does the fact that "Serozh" is used in different cultures that are somehow connected make the Russian "trace" even more credible?"

That is my personal inclination; however, as we have seen with "Rafi/Raffi," all possible "traces" should be considered because "mono trace" - or origin - models are simplistic illusions, abandoned many centuries ago - the same applies to anything that "has a history" i.e. races, cultures, ideas etc.
    Last edited by Siamanto; 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM.
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
    X