Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I wonder why there's so much hate directed towards Armenians..who don't look armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wonder why there's so much hate directed towards Armenians..who don't look arme

Originally posted by Azad View Post
    I do not like to see "innocent" posts that imply indirectly division amongst us based on race, ideology, geography. People, get used to the idea that we have been long enough in the Diaspora with a population almost 3 times larger that our present homeland. There are going to be variances in our looks and behaviors. Snap out of it.

Division already exists because of differences in race, ideology, geography, and religion and when you try to make it seem like division is justifiable with false notions of what it means to be "Armenian" by ridiculous statements like "1 molecule of blood means your Armenian", then division will really exist because what you are wishing for goes against the fundamental laws of human nature. To keep it short, you seem to be implying that the "chicken came before the egg", I am implying, if the egg already exists, the chicken will eventually hatch, hope you understand?
    Last edited by Virgil; 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Re: I wonder why there's so much hate directed towards Armenians..who don't look arme

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
      Division already exists because of race, ideology, geography, and religion,
      Agree that division does and should exist outside the Armenian "union". I still have to see those divisions (exception the ideology) amongst Armenians. You will be surprised how tight and supportive we are amongst ourselves. We might make banal comments towards each others, the reality is we are blood tight bound together for life.

Comment

You will be surprised how tight and supportive we are amongst ourselves.
        Yes, but what you actual feel is different than what you are actually communicating. You are "tight" with one another because you see in your fellow Armenian a reflection of yourself, however, if let us say your fellow Armenian was different racially, ethnically, and/or religiously, trust me, it is very hard to both see yourself in him or her unless there exists a good reason to cooperate (i.e. economic and/or political incentives), thus, the same "cohesiveness" erodes.

Clearly, this idea of "1 percent blood" begs the question, what about the other 99% of the individuals blood? How are you going to ignore that? You can't, you have to accept people for who and what they are, my point is not so much to imply that I don't accept people, obviously, everyone is different, but you have to understand when you are referring to nations, states, and a people, your implications don't work. Logically, if we to consider a people as a set of elements, the conditions of the set does not allow foreign elements to the set into the set, thus, the only way foreign elements exists in a set is if you the conditions of the set are changed to accommodate them. This process of accommodation is one way (note: as in traffic is "one way") essentially, you are "accommodating" these foreign elements and, extrapolating this to a infinite power, you are changing the very conditions that make a person uniquely part of the Armenian people.

In Diaspora, we often try to justify these "changes on our sets" as "necessary", but the reality is that overtime, these changes will lead to the differences that will eventually lead to the destruction of the Diaspora and in the current state of the Armenian people, where the outside of the homeland is "mistaken" for a homeland, this will lead to extinction.
        Last edited by Virgil; 04-11-2008, 10:52 PM.

Comment

...the only way foreign elements exists in a set is if you the conditions of the set are changed to accommodate them. This process of accommodation is one way (note: as in traffic is "one way") essentially, you are "accommodating" these foreign elements and, extrapolating this to a infinite power, you are changing the very conditions that make a person uniquely part of the Armenian people.
          Correct me if I am wrong. Yet you live in a country that is not yours and do expect your host country to "accommodate" you?

In Diaspora, we often try to justify these "changes on our sets" as "necessary", but the reality is that overtime, these changes will lead to the differences that will eventually lead to the destruction of the Diaspora and in the current state of the Armenian people, where the outside of the homeland is "mistaken" for a homeland, this will lead to extinction.
          I agree with you. What is your solution and why aren't we all returning to present Armenia? We all are nationalists and not all of us realists.

Comment

let us say your fellow Armenian was different racially, ethnically, and/or religiously, trust me, it is very hard to both see yourself in him or her unless there exists a good reason to cooperate (i.e. economic and/or political incentives), thus, the same "cohesiveness" erodes.
            Virgil, changes are constant. As long the flow in done gradually you can keep the Armenian identity and grow it outwards instead of the self imploding. Were the none Christian Armenians pre Christianity less Armenians? Can we bring in the Islamized Armenians from turkey and reprogram them to the present Armenian majority's behavior? Will we let healthy half Armenians into Armenia to be productive citizens?

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong. Yet you live in a country that is not yours and do expect your host country to "accommodate" you?
              You are taking my point of context, you said, "1 drop of Armenian blood makes you Armenian", in which, I am assuming you are talking about the Diaspora, hence, if you are talking about the Diaspora, I am only making it a point to remind you that if indeed there exists 1% of blood that is Armenian, there also exists 99% of non-Armenian blood that you are failing to account for in your statement.

Furthermore, clearly, I am not making such statements as "1% Armenian blood makes you Armenian", you are. What your statement implies is that what makes you as a individual different is secondary because there exists a magic on and off button inside of a every individual that can turn you into Armenian one day and turn you into non-Armenian the next. Instead, I am confronting the realities of the situation I find myself in and thus, am making a rational and well thought out decision knowing full well what the consequences are versus changing what fundamentally makes me different in order to pretend I am not "assimilating" when the very fact of me "changing what fundamentally makes me different" can indeed be defined as a "assimilation" and change (Thus, the egg exists, the chicken will hatch).

Originally posted by Azad
              I agree with you. What is your solution and why aren't we all returning to present Armenia? We all are nationalists and not all of us realists.
              My solution is in what I write, but to be honest, there is indeed no solution, just decisions that should be made, but then the decisions become less complex if certain realities are accepted. I will give you a example, you ask, "why aren't we all returning to present Armenia" and I am telling you because you can't, clearly, there exists commitments to yourself or others that makes this journey a life changing one that the majority of Armenians will not take. However, even though the obvious answer is self evident some members in the Diaspora still promote emigration by establishing schools and communities that insulate Armenian communities outside homeland, thus, convincing individual that would normally stay within the homeland to emigrate, it is a vicious cycle.
              Last edited by Virgil; 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Virgil, changes are constant. As long the flow in done gradually you can keep the Armenian identity and grow it outwards instead of the self imploding. Were the none Christian Armenians pre Christianity less Armenians? Can we bring in the Islamized Armenians from turkey and reprogram them to the present Armenian majority's behavior? Will we let healthy half Armenians into Armenia to be productive citizens?
                Azad, you are taking my comments out of the context they are presented. Comparing the development of the Armenian nation in antiquity is clearly much different then the development of the Armenian nation in modern times. I am telling you that the development of the Armenian nation is stagnating because you precisely have individuals like yourself promoting these kind of changes that, essentially, is like a machine. Consider this example, you have a machine, call it Diaspora, Armenian xyz from Armenia goes into Diaspora and comes out "Diaspora xyz". Now, imagine that this machine is constantly finely tuning itself in order to accommodate for changes that "Diaspora xyz" will confront once out of machine, thus, over a period of time Diaspora xyz will be vastly different then Armenian xyz.

Comment

I dont mean to bud in, but seriously 1% blood does not make you armenian. I have people in my family who married non armenians and had kids--their kids dont even care about being armenian. Their raised with all non armenians so why would they want to be armenian when they can identify with their half non armeian side more acceptable side?
                  I dont consider them armenian.

Im just very dissapointed with the Armenian commnuity in LA, honeslty im afraid to go to Armenia, if the armenians in LA are so nasty to me, God knows what will happen in Armenia.

Comment

Consider this example, you have a machine, call it Diaspora, Armenian xyz from Armenia goes into Diaspora and comes out "Diaspora xyz". Now, imagine that this machine is constantly finely tuning itself in order to accommodate for changes that "Diaspora xyz" will confront once out of machine, thus, over a period of time Diaspora xyz will be vastly different then Armenian xyz.
                    I considered all equation. Who are the people that are benefiting from our 100% to 1% Armenians assets? It definitely is not the country of Armenia. I don't remember hearing anything from the Russians when Mikoyan or the millions of other Armenians did and are still advancing the Russian society. Did the Russians became less Russians? No. That applies to many societies today. A selective gradual admittance of certain people that are willing to be Armenians should not be discouraged ... we are NOT a defined pure genetic country club.

Comment

we are NOT a defined pure genetic country club

You could say that about any nation, but Armenia is one of the world's most homogeneous nations, which is very good- Armenians don't need to be intermixing with non Armenians, especially non Indo-Europeans.

Russians when Mikoyan or the millions of other Armenians did and are still advancing the Russian society.

They also advanced life for Armenia, and provided a good rep. to Russians of what an Armenian is.
                      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Working...
                      X