Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trip to Armenia (including pictures)

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
    exactly how I felt the first time, you're not alone here. I'd say Armenia is a beautiful place, a special place for armenians, but not all armenians can live there.
    Armenia is a typical post-Soviet country. Soviet mentality is widespread along with Russian influences here and there. Western Armenians grow up with a different image of Armenia as this mythical place, but of course it has rich culture, but we are not mythical in any sense. I think also Western Armenians also feel the Eastern Armenian/Western Armenian divide when they come to Armenia and it's something new to them. Yes we are all Armenians, just some differing mentalities and influences that have come about.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

So I'm thinking about planning a trip to Armenia for sometime in 2014 and have some questions

• When is the best time to go? When it's busiest or when it's settled down (touristically speaking)
      • Is it better to go with a guided tour, or to do research on what I'd specifically want to see and tour the country myself?
      • If you do suggest a guided tour, what are some good ones?
      • Will it be the biggest regret of my life if I don't go see Artsakh/Karabakh or will I not really miss out on much?
      • Is two weeks enough to see everything or do I need to stay longer?
      • Any ideas on cost? I know the plane ticket will be between $1,000-$2,000, but what about food, lodging souvenirs, etc... would a budget of about $1,500 be enough for two weeks?
      • If I want to also go to Turkey to see Ararat and Ani, is it better to go to Turkey first or last? And is it worth it to stay in Georgia for a day or two if travel between Turkey and Armenia?

and lastly

International trips aren't a frequent thing for me, this year was the first year I've left the USA since 2006, so if I go to Armenia, it's only going to be only just the once at least for the next few years or so. That being said, should I go in 2014, or should I wait until 2015? I remember hearing that the government was supposed to be spiffying up everything for the 100th anniversary of the genocide b/c they expect the diaspora to make some sort of pilgrimage, and that multiple events are supposed to be planned for throughout the year. Though who knows if that will actually be worth waiting for, or if they'll even do all they say they will.

Any thoughts?
      Last edited by ara87; 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

You are going to Armenia and believe me stuff are going to be pretty cheap there.If you don't have relatives to stay in and prefer hotels you can find lots of them and i think they are cheap also or in normal prices nothing overpriced.
        1500 $ is lots of money for 2 weeks u could live like a king and still have money.
        Yerevan - Batumi train ticket today 7/8/2012 is priced at 20.000 dram or 39.69 euros or 49.13 dollars http://coinmill.com/AMD_USD.html#AMD=20000. you could go Georgia but i think u have to pay Visa again ......so the prices i think its same in Armenia. coffee prices are from 300 (0.74$) dram to 1000(2.46) the most expensive.
        Lots of sites for tourism in Armenia ,you could go in 2014 get acquainted with homeland the go again in 2015 and u will know places and will feel more adapted in your home.

Comment

[*]When is the best time to go? When it's busiest or when it's settled down (touristically speaking)
          busiest is june, july, also, august. I'd go in September myself, not much tourists and weather is less hot. you have independance day in that month too.

[*]Is it better to go with a guided tour, or to do research on what I'd specifically want to see and tour the country myself?
          what's "better" is up to you.

[*]If you do suggest a guided tour, what are some good ones?
          HyurService I found was proffessional with reasnoble prices (compared to others)

[*]Will it be the biggest regret of my life if I don't go see Artsakh/Karabakh or will I not really miss out on much?
          Artsakh is definately worth it. And it's not like you get a chance to do it all the time. Note: you need a separate visa from artsakh embassy in yerevan to go there.

[*]Is two weeks enough to see everything or do I need to stay longer?
          2 weeks is minimum for Armenia, specially when you're traveling from far away. If you're doing Artsakh too, then you need 3 weeks.

[*]Any ideas on cost? I know the plane ticket will be between $1,000-$2,000, but what about food, lodging souvenirs, etc... would a budget of about $1,500 be enough for two weeks?
          I'd rather rent a flat in armenia, than staying in hotel. Hotels are not that cheaper in Armenia IMHO. 1500$ for 2 weeks in armenia should be fine, if you go to Artsakh, add in another 500$ atleast. Also, it all depends how much places you gonna see, what you gonna do, how much you eat, etc

[*]If I want to also go to Turkey to see Ararat and Ani, is it better to go to Turkey first or last? And is it worth it to stay in Georgia for a day or two if travel between Turkey and Armenia?
          Ararat you can see from Khor Virap, no need to go all the way to georgia then down to ararat. If you wanna hike on Ararat that's another thing.
          Ani on the other hand is worth it (although i have not seen it myself). But if you do choose to go, I'd put Turkey first, then see some of georgia, then move down to Armenia. [/LIST]

and lastly

International trips aren't a frequent thing for me, this year was the first year I've left the USA since 2006, so if I go to Armenia, it's only going to be only just the once at least for the next few years or so. That being said, should I go in 2014, or should I wait until 2015? I remember hearing that the government was supposed to be spiffying up everything for the 100th anniversary of the genocide b/c they expect the diaspora to make some sort of pilgrimage, and that multiple events are supposed to be planned for throughout the year. Though who knows if that will actually be worth waiting for, or if they'll even do all they say they will.
          2014. why wait another 1 year to see armenia?
          Last edited by arakeretzig; 08-07-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Is two weeks enough to see everything or do I need to stay longer?

Oh no , if you want to enjoy everything and see everything + Artsax , then one month is super

Don't you have any familiy there ?

Comment

Three weeks would be better.
              Hyur is great. I did their 3day tour to Artsakh and it was easy and a good time. They get the visa for you and handle all that; you just give them your passport.
              I second getting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel. Most of the hotels are comparable to US or European prices; they're not exactly affordable for a 2-3 week stay.

Weather in July and August is the hottest (don't underestimate the impact of the heat/sun when you'll be outside walking about and/or sightseeing all day). June was hot too, but not quite as bad. In September it gets much better, but September is popular and the flights in September are pricey (at least from the US).
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Best months is June-July. You also hit Tsiran season. August is usually too hot. I don't have any experience with the tourist services or hotels in Armenia, but I would think it would be better to go about it yourself with some friends and family.
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---
                "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

thanks for all the input

Comment

Apricots aren't ripe yet in June. Peaches were being imported from Iran still while I was there and only those tiny local apricots were just becoming available. Try to go later than June if that's important to you.

Also I missed the question about Turkey initially. I don't think it two weeks would be enough time to go to Artsakh, Georgia, and turkey. I think 2 weeks is barely enough to visit things in RA and you'll already have to pick and choose.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                      Apricots aren't ripe yet in June. Peaches were being imported from Iran still while I was there and only those tiny local apricots were just becoming available. Try to go later than June if that's important to you.

Also I missed the question about Turkey initially. I don't think it two weeks would be enough time to go to Artsakh, Georgia, and turkey. I think 2 weeks is barely enough to visit things in RA and you'll already have to pick and choose.
                      Well it depends on the year....generally late june into July is best tsiran time. And people, please don't visit Turkey. Try to be a little bit patriotic for God's sake.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X