Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What did Turkish Americans do on April 24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nemesis
    First things firts the then Ruling party "Ittihat and Terraki" called themselves "Young Turks" and their ideology was based on the doctrine of ultra-nationalism (turancilik) whose traces can be found in some of today's political parties(MHP, Alparslan Turkes(dead now))...that's why you say u feel connected to the Turks in Asia...(funny because the same turks Tlat pasha wanted to unite under pan-turkism ended up killing him ) when it comes to religion clearly Turkey is a secular country now thanks to Ataturk but yet your religion is the same (so u do have the same religion as Ottomans) and yes todays Turkey is different than the Ottoman times...so why didn't anyone comeout publicly and say what ur saying instead of flat out denying it?
    First rule of the democracy is giving the same oportunity to everyone. Sure there are still some sick people who has the same wierd idea. But you can not say that that is the ideology of the entire nation and the government.
    Ottoman goverenment has already punished those people who commite crime to the minorities, and Ataturk clearly said that Turkey is a multi cultural and respectfull country to the minorites.

btw, i am saying we connected to the Turks in Asia because we share the same language, but not in sick fascist way. i am not a fascist or anything like that, and i personaly hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis
      that was hilareous dude anything flies what about the one that read greeks-armenians killed 3 million turks...
      Gotta agree with the photographer...that one takes the cake. lol
      I mean COME ON... That's just hysterical!!! I wonder how they came up with the number. They probably did a lottery and 3 won, only if it was higher...

Comment

Originally posted by taboo
        First rule of the democracy is giving the same oportunity to everyone. Sure there are still some sick people who has the same wierd idea. But you can not say that that is the ideology of the entire nation and the government.
        Ottoman goverenment has already punished those people who commite crime to the minorities, and Ataturk clearly said that Turkey is a multi cultural and respectfull country to the minorites.
        yes I agree Ataturk punished those responsible for that and definitely that is not the ideology of today's turks..but one thing is for sure Turkey is yet to become a respectful country to their minorities whose size it reduced due to their policies and the doctrines I described above...

Comment

Well, some thoughts of the innocent present-day Turks.

Yes, the blood of the cruel and unforgivable Turks run through the veins of the Turks of today. But what about the innocent Turks? What about the Turks who HELPED some Armenians?

Comment

Originally posted by adamyan_chick
            Yes, the blood of the cruel and unforgivable Turks run through the veins of the Turks of today. But what about the innocent Turks? What about the Turks who HELPED some Armenians?
            Your question is dealt with in this forum under a thread titled "Forgotten Hero's" under the "general discussions" section. Happy reading...
            Hovik

Comment

Where is peace now?

Hi everybody,

I am a Turkish citizen who still has armenian friends living in Turkey as Turkish citizens. I must confess I love them very much and they do love me too. You know, there are different nations living in Turkey. I am a Turk.

According to me, whatever happened in the past, it was about Ottoman Empire. Ottoman is the name of a family and that empire was not a nationalist state so no one can say that today's Turkish Citizens'history is coming from Ottoman Empire.

Ottomans were not my ancestors. They were not ancestors of Kurds, Arabs, Armenians or Jews living in today's Turkey. Ottoman Emperor was just a part of the history of these lands.

If you say that Turkish government must recognize Armenian Genocide, it means that all nations living in Turkey will recognize it, also my armenian friends who are Turkish Citizens.

The thing what happened in the past was about a state which is no longer existing. As a turkish citizen I am sure my grandfathers did not kill any armenians, why do ı need to apologize for something that is not releated with me.

There are still armenians, jews, christians, kurds, arabs living in this country. Why do they have to apologize for something which they did not do?

If you ask today's turkish government to apologize or recognize something happened in the past, it means that people who are not releated with this issue, including armenian Turkish Citizens will apologize for it.

Now, am I a potential enemy for you just because I live in Turkey? Are you brave enough to love me? Be sure that I love you because at least you are a human and whatever happenned in the past, I did nothing to you and you did nothing to me. All of you are my human brothers and sisters.

Hate gets bigger when you hate. Love gets bigger when you love.

I want to ask something. I really do not know the answer and I want to learn. Some of the provinces in the USA and some countries on the world recognized Armenian Genocide. Did the present Armenia State, who suffered from genocide in the past, recognize the genocide against american indians by the USA?

Best wishes to all of you from a Human.

Comment

well... there is no diffrence for me if Turks work for God or Satan. Because people who were on "God side" were the true murderers in history everytime... (For ex. Crusaders, or El Qaide, or Ally of George W. Bush)

and I am a Kurd who live in Turkey too and you are not the person who can talk about Kurdish people in Turkey.

Comment

[QUOTE/]"According to me, whatever happened in the past, it was about Ottoman Empire. Ottoman is the name of a family and that empire was not a nationalist state so no one can say that today's Turkish Citizens'history is coming from Ottoman Empire."[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, that is not true. Ottoman Empire's last ruler of Osman decent was Abdul Hamid II, who was deposed in April of 1909. Although Abdul Hamid did preside over the Turkish army and both Turkish and Kurd irregulars which massacred Armenians and Greeks starting in 1890 through about 1900, the scale of killings under Abdul Hamid (numbering in hundreds of thousands) was much less then the genocide unleashed by his deposers, the Young Turks, Enver-Pasha and others from 1915 to 1923.

[QUOTE/]"Ottomans were not my ancestors. They were not ancestors of Kurds, Arabs, Armenians or Jews living in today's Turkey. Ottoman Emperor was just a part of the history of these lands."[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is not true either. Ethnically and genetically, the majority of Turks living today are direct descendants of ethnic Turks who were ruled by the Ottomans.

[QUOTE/]"The thing what happened in the past was about a state which is no longer existing. As a turkish citizen I am sure my grandfathers did not kill any armenians, why do ı need to apologize for something that is not releated with me."[/QUOTE]

Modern Turkey directly descends from the Young Turks government which is responsible for the worst of the genocide from 1915 to 1923. Mustafa Kemal was part of the military and civil leadership under the Young Turks. In fact, he was a chief of staff in the army which deposed Abdul Hamid and which was led by Enver Pasha, Shevket Pasha and other "Young Turks". As far as an apology, a personal apology is neither required, nor sensible. All that the world is calling for is a recognition by the Turkish government that the Genocide has occurred.

[QUOTE/]"There are still armenians, jews, christians, kurds, arabs living in this country. Why do they have to apologize for something which they did not do?"[/QUOTE]

Once again, the government has to recognize the atrocity. The minorities you mention here will benefit from Turkish government's recognition of the Genocide because a government which acknowledges its wrongdoings is more transparent and less likely to engage in suppression of minorities.

[QUOTE/]"Now, am I a potential enemy for you just because I live in Turkey? Are you brave enough to love me? Be sure that I love you because at least you are a human and whatever happenned in the past, I did nothing to you and you did nothing to me. All of you are my human brothers and sisters.".[/QUOTE]

No, you are not an enemy of the Armenians, Greeks and Kurds. However, if you participate in acts of violence condoned by your government unrepentant over the transgressions of the past you will be. If your government recognizes and repudiates acts of violence against Turkish minorities, you will never be an enemy of these minorities.

Comment

Heanthenpride's reply

Heathenpride,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your message. You seem to be arguing against something I posted, but I cannot tell against what or, in fact, how any of your arguments are relevant. The last paragraph of your message is very revealing, however. Do you mean to say that you believe one hundred years ago armenians were at fault for creating "barriers" for Turkey?

Comment

No minority

Human,

The word "minority" as it is used in most democracies does not mean that the individuals so described have less rights or lower status. It does mean that by some common characteristic these individuals are different than the "majority" who live in that country. There are a number of minorities in France, for example tunisians, algerians, alsacians, protestants, etc. Minorities could be ethnic, religious, or, in fact, gender minorities. Recognition of existance of minorities is useful to ensure that laws that the democratic state promulgates do not impinge on the rights of all its citizens. Your message indicates that it is you who lacks knowledge in the definition of a "minority". The existence of minorities cannot be argued against - you yourself state that there are many nationalities and religious groups which comprise Turkey.

Regarding your other point I am very glad that you don't like the Young Turks. It would be difficult to like homicidal butchers. Nevertheless, you seem to miss the point. The government of the Young Turks cannot be called "Ottoman" because a descendant of Othman was not on the throne or in any way involved in government. By the international law, just because the government in a country changes, the country's rights, advantages, obligations and culpabilities are sustained. That also extends to revolutionary and radical changes in the government. Thus, modern Turkish government is culpable for the transgressions of both the Young Turk and the Ottoman government.

Comment

Working...
                      X