Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

About Turkey And Ottoman Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phantom
    What about the 1919 Military Tribunals in which many of the top CUP officials and military leaders were tried and found guilty?
    I guess they got full blown confessions that it was a systematic campaign out of them too...

Comment

Here's Something you can read

It's not very clear to read but you can make it if you want. By the way, Armenians did not write this

Celebrating 10 years of .xyz - over a decade of innovation! We are beginning the countdown to our decade-iversary! Over ten chapters, journey through a decade of innovation with .xyz. From its ambitious inception to quickly becoming a leader in the domain industry, each press release will unveil a year of .xyz’s history, challenges, and

Comment

Originally posted by kemal
        Hi Phantom,

Not unanimously accpeted. Have you seen the "THE STANCE TAKEN BY SCHOLARS TO ALLEGATIONS OF GENOCIDE" which is written by "...These are the scientists, who knew that the Ottoman archives were open to the researchers since 1925 and who themselves reached the documents. Therefore, only those who are as knowledgeable on this issue as they can comment on or can object to their views. For this reason, the report submitted by 69 American scientists to the members of the Assembly of Representatives in relation with the issue has great importance...."

and signed by http://www.armeniangenocide.com/foru...&page=32&pp=10 (Check Mustafa Mert's post dated 06-16-2005, 01:57 PM – Mustafa Mert)

Or just a recent paper by Guenter Leey ( http://www.meforum.org/article/748) which questions Dadrian's papers and claims that they are based on indictments but not proofs. ( http://www.armeniangenocide.com/foru...9&page=5&pp=10) - BTW he is not one of the signatories...

These people are not butchers. They are scientists as well. I don't care if they are payyed by TR or not. All I care do they have a valid point? I do agree about the scientific methodology. That is to say coming from a conclusion is not scientific. You can always find something that you can support your claims. However apparently that's what Dadrian is doing in his papers as well. He already has an answer. Now he digs to find supports. If he can't find a proof he creates one. That's what happened with Andonians telegrams as well, right?

There are many things that Turkish people must learn about history. But there are many things that you guys must learn as well. Don't do what you are critisizing. Don't try to find supports for something that you believe. From my brief stay I have seen that it is possible to find a support for any claim if you dig enough. There are points on the ground. Thousands of them. Depending on the hand who uses the pensil to connect those points the picture can be a tree or a penguen.

Good luck.
        Kemal, thank you for your response.

First, I said that the Genocide was "almost unanimously" accepted. Of course, there are still a few non-Turks who see it differently, like Justin McCarthy and Heath Lowrey (both paid by Turkish govt.), and this new Leey fellow. But the overwhelming majority, you must admit, say that it was a Genocide.

Second, that petition that you cited is 20 years old, and of the 69 signatories, many, as you can see, are Turkish and over 40 of them are from universities in which the Turkish government was paying for the Ottoman chair at the time. Since then, things have changed quite a bit. In 1998, more than 150 distinguished writers and scholars signed a petition commemorating the Armenian Genocide ( http://www.armenian-genocide.org/Aff...on_detail.html ). Then in 2000, at the Thirtieth Anniversary of the Scholars' Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches Convening at St. Joseph University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 126 Holocaust Scholars, holders of Academic Chairs and Directors of Holocaust Research and Studies Centers, participants of the Conference, signed a statement affirming that the World War I Armenian Genocide is an incontestable historical fact and accordingly urge the governments of Western democracies to likewise recognize it as such. The petitioners, among whom is Nobel Laureate for Peace Elie Wiesel, who was the keynote speaker at the conference, also asked the Western Democracies to urge the Government and Parliament of Turkey to finally come to terms with a dark chapter of Ottoman-Turkish history and to recognize the Armenian Genocide.

More recently, the International Association of Genocide Scholars has also spoken out against denial of the Armenian Genocide.

Moreover, there are more and more Turkish historians who are now acknowledging this fact, and I'm sure you know who they are; many of them participated in the recent discussions that occured in Istanbul, and many of them are now being charged with criminal sanctions for their activity.

So I think it is quite safe to say that the overwhelming majority of non-Turkish Holocaust and Genocide academics know and acknowlege the historical fact of the Armenian Genocide. Citing 20 year old petitions and lone voices among a sea of concurrence is not going to convince me otherwise.

Comment

Message deleted.

Posts in Turkish aren't allowed in this forum!
          If you can't have a civilized conversation, please leave.

Comment

Where did they die????????

Originally posted by pirate
            I am curious about that where was living that 1,5 million Armenian? And where did they die?
            If you visit a Country named Syria and if You go there and visit a city named Deir El zor and as Arab People there where can I find the 1.5 million Armenians they will show you the way.

Or if you go to the desert of Syria and as any one who is riding a camel or a horse he will show you bones of Armenian people after digging not more than 60cm underground.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate
              Turkey never did that genocide.There is only an emigration cause of betrayal.Armenians betrayalled to Ottoman empire by being with Russia.On December 1914,Armenians were first troops of Russian army.They attacked on Ottoman empire and they did the real genocide to Muslim Turkish people.After all Ottoman empire decided to emigrated Armenians.Ottoman empire was rightfull by doing that.
              Now we are silent in view of this situation.But this mean is not we will keep silence.
              Where did you get these information from? From turkish sources? Good boy... What else they have teached you?

Mr. Pirate, go and read history carefully and ask other nations ask Arabs for example about what was happening in the Ottoman Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tongue
                Don't tell me how my family members died. Ok?
                None of them died from "epidemic diseases".
                I found one old encyclopaedia made by a rather neutral scientists from a rather neutral country.

Facts: from 1895-96 Turks killed 100 000 Armenians.
                During WW1 Turks slaughtered 300 000 Armenian men, women & children.
                The very much the same number of Armenian people died during deportation into wasteland of Mesopotamia.
                (200 000 escaped into Russia and 400 000 of Armenians converted on Islam to save their lives - according to this text).

I do not know exact numbers of most recent research, but "even" murder of 700 000 innocent people including children sounds really frightening to me!

And to talk about Ottoman Empire ... I could talk much, but I'd have to involve a help from above and write about Blessed Virgin...
                Maybe next time.

.../Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                  I found one old encyclopaedia made by a rather neutral scientists from a rather neutral country.

Facts: from 1895-96 Turks killed 100 000 Armenians.
                  During WW1 Turks slaughtered 300 000 Armenian men, women & children.
                  The very much the same number of Armenian people died during deportation into wasteland of Mesopotamia.
                  (200 000 escaped into Russia and 400 000 of Armenians converted on Islam to save their lives - according to this text).

I do not know exact numbers of most recent research, but "even" murder of 700 000 innocent people including children sounds really frightening to me!

And to talk about Ottoman Empire ... I could talk much, but I'd have to involve a help from above and write about Blessed Virgin...
                  Maybe next time.

.../Pierre

Enker Pierre,

Anyone who knows anything about the last years of the Ottoman Empire could see the inaccuracies in the quote you posted. First of all, the most debated fact here is that of it being a planned, calculated, and government sponsored Genocide - which it was. However, it is hard to find a Turk that will argue that massacres of Armenians hadn't been taking place for decades. Furthermore, the figure of 200,000 Armenians, NOT 100,000 Armenians is WIDELY ACCEPTED by informed individuals and historians. The psychologically inept Sultan Abdul-Hamid was proud of this fact and did not hide it. For the reason of this relatively large discrepancy (off by 50%) in numbers that are generally accepted, any logical individual would question the credibility of the rest of the information. I suggest you do the same.

By the way Talaat Pasha kept a little black book full of the numbers of Armenians killed and deported. His living relative is in current possession of it, some people who have had the chance to see it say that it confirms Armenian figures almost perfectly (or perhaps he recorded a few hundred thousand that we overlooked - ) Anyway keep these things in mind when considering the credibility your sources.

Welcome to the forum
                  Hovik

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik
                    Enker Pierre,
                    Furthermore, the figure of 200,000 Armenians, NOT 100,000 Armenians is WIDELY ACCEPTED by informed individuals and historians.
                    U mean - from 1895-96? ... because I mentioned a number of (total) 700 000 people ... not 100 000 ...

My knowledge about Turkey and its history is poor.
                    I know as much as it is related to Ottoman Imperialism on Middle Europe lands in 16. - 18. century.

Till several weeks ago I didn't know anything about Armenian Genocide.
                    When Croatia & Turky were marching towards EU – I heard for the very first time about it ... and started investigating.
                    Since I am interested in East Catholic Churches (Armenian, Maronit, Copts, Chaldeian ... ) this was specailly of my interest.

This is only "story" I knew (the one regarding Turks ):

On August 7th, 1715 the Turks has been started to attack Sinj (Croatia). In time the Turks hoped to besiege Vienna and ultimately to conquer all of Europe. The people of Sinj implored the intervention of the Blessed Mother. In their church they prayed before the portrait of the Virgin Mary then called "Our Lady of Grace".
                    700 people (villagers of Sinj) stood against 40 000 Osmanli's (of which 5000 Tatar's). After siege that lasted many days, and 14 assaults on the fortress, on the night between 14th and 15th of August (in the dawn of the Assumption) the attackers ran away in panic. They left almost all of their weapons, equipment … their wounded ones. Many of them drowned in the near river.
                    And while historian's are searching for rational explanation of Osmanli's defeat (from whom were they running away?!), local people still ~today~ believe in direct help from Blessed Virgin. Also, it is said the Turks saw the women in light and were terrible frighten.

Ecce ...

Here is what Wikipedia (well, not a reliable source, but.. ) says:

The Armenian Genocide (also known as the Armenian Holocaust or the Armenian Massacre) is a term which refer to the forced mass evacuation and related deaths of hundreds of thousands or over a million Armenians, during the government of Young Turks from 1915 to 1917 in the Ottoman Empire. Several facts in connection with the genocide are a matter of ongoing dispute between parts of the international community and Turkey. Although it is generally agreed that events said to comprise the Armenian Genocide did occur, the Turkish government rejects that it was genocide, on the alleged basis that the deaths among the Armenians, were not a result of a state-sponsored plan of mass extermination, but from the result of inter-ethnic strife, disease and famine during the turmoil of WWI.
                    Despite this thesis, most Armenian, Western, and an increasing number of Turkish scholars believe that the massacres were a case of what is termed genocide. For example, most Western sources point to the sheer scale of the death toll. The event is also said to be the second-most studied case of genocide, and often draws comparison with the Holocaust. A growing list of countries (Argentina, Armenia, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Lebanon, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela ) have officially recognized and accepted the authenticity of the Armenian Genocide.

Welcome to the forum
                    Hovik
                    Tnx, it's good to be here ...

Comment

U mean - from 1895-96? ... because I mentioned a number of (total) 700 000 people ... not 100 000 ...
                      If I am not mistaken you said from 1895-96 that 100,000 people were killed right? (by the way I believe the massacres really began in 1894, but thats rather inconsequential) So I don't know what 700,000 has to do with that time period. Anyway I was just saying that during the period you are referring to (1895-96, or 1894-96 which are referred to as the Hamidian Massacres) the figure of 200,000 and NOT 100,000 is most widely accepted (regardless of your 700,000 total).

My knowledge about Turkey and its history is poor.
                      I know as much as it is related to Ottoman Imperialism on Middle Europe lands in 16. - 18. century.
                      Thats fine, few if any of us are experts, this forum is here for the purpose of learning, as long as you are ready to learn and have an open mind you are a step ahead of many others.

Originally posted by pierre
                      Till several weeks ago I didn't know anything about Armenian Genocide.
                      When Croatia & Turky were marching towards EU – I heard for the very first time about it ... and started investigating.
                      Since I am interested in East Catholic Churches (Armenian, Maronit, Copts, Chaldeian ... ) this was specailly of my interest.

This is only "story" I knew (the one regarding Turks ):

On August 7th, 1715 the Turks has been started to attack Sinj (Croatia). In time the Turks hoped to besiege Vienna and ultimately to conquer all of Europe. The people of Sinj implored the intervention of the Blessed Mother. In their church they prayed before the portrait of the Virgin Mary then called "Our Lady of Grace".
                      700 people (villagers of Sinj) stood against 40 000 Osmanli's (of which 5000 Tatar's). After siege that lasted many days, and 14 assaults on the fortress, on the night between 14th and 15th of August (in the dawn of the Assumption) the attackers ran away in panic. They left almost all of their weapons, equipment … their wounded ones. Many of them drowned in the near river.
                      And while historian's are searching for rational explanation of Osmanli's defeat (from whom were they running away?!), local people still ~today~ believe in direct help from Blessed Virgin. Also, it is said the Turks saw the women in light and were terrible frighten.

Ecce ...

Here is what Wikipedia (well, not a reliable source, but.. ) says:

The Armenian Genocide (also known as the Armenian Holocaust or the Armenian Massacre) is a term which refer to the forced mass evacuation and related deaths of hundreds of thousands or over a million Armenians, during the government of Young Turks from 1915 to 1917 in the Ottoman Empire. Several facts in connection with the genocide are a matter of ongoing dispute between parts of the international community and Turkey. Although it is generally agreed that events said to comprise the Armenian Genocide did occur, the Turkish government rejects that it was genocide, on the alleged basis that the deaths among the Armenians, were not a result of a state-sponsored plan of mass extermination, but from the result of inter-ethnic strife, disease and famine during the turmoil of WWI.
                      Despite this thesis, most Armenian, Western, and an increasing number of Turkish scholars believe that the massacres were a case of what is termed genocide. For example, most Western sources point to the sheer scale of the death toll. The event is also said to be the second-most studied case of genocide, and often draws comparison with the Holocaust. A growing list of countries (Argentina, Armenia, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Lebanon, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela ) have officially recognized and accepted the authenticity of the Armenian Genocide.

Tnx, it's good to be here ...
                      I have a great interest in Ottoman History as well, and studied it a bit in college, it really intrigues me.

Wikipedia is ok, a good place to start... I look forward to your future posts.

Hovik

Comment

Working...
                      X