Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can Turkey Learn Tolerance?

Hasan Cemal shares Armenians` pain

April 04, 2011 | 00:41

Hasan Cemal, author, journalist and columnist of the Milliyet Newspaper, and also the grandson of Cemal Pasha, one of the masterminds behind the Armenian Genocide, took part in an event entitled "From Der Zor to Dzidzernagapert", which was held in Los Angeles, March 31. The presentation featured two discussants, the first of which is Richard Hovannisian, Professor of Armenian and Near Eastern History and Chair of the Armenian Educational Foundation in Modern Armenian History at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The second is Dr. Pamela Steiner, Director of the Inter-Communal Trust-Building Project; Fellow, FXB Center, Harvard School of Public Health & Affiliate, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. She is also the great granddaughter of Henry Morgenthau, US Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire.

Hasan Cemal shared his impressions in an article entitled "What will Cemal`s grandson say?" In entering the hall he heard a person asking why the grandson of their grandfathers` murderer had been invited.

"I am not going to enjoy an evening party here. But I say I have brought greetings to you from Anatolia. Our roots stem from the same sources. I am well aware of your pain and share it. I have come here to extend my hand to Armenian young people. However, we must not allow pain and torture to block the way to reconciliation," Hasan Cemal said.

During his speech he uttered the word "genocide" several times. One of the attendees asked him if he was not afraid to do so. "I showed him a brochure of the conference with me pictured laying flowers at the Memorial to the Armenian Genocide in Yerevan three years before," Cemal wrote.

In September 2008, Hasan Cemal visited Tsitsernakaberd and laid flowers. On April 24, 2010, he wrote that denying the Armenian Genocide was tantamount to being an accomplice to that crime against humanity.
    Cemal Pasha, one of the three masterminds behind the Armenian Genocide, was assassinated in 1922 in Tbilisi by Stepan Dzaghigian.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuch View Post
      Hasan Cemal shares Armenians` pain

April 04, 2011 | 00:41

Hasan Cemal, author, journalist and columnist of the Milliyet Newspaper, and also the grandson of Cemal Pasha, one of the masterminds behind the Armenian Genocide, took part in an event entitled "From Der Zor to Dzidzernagapert", which was held in Los Angeles, March 31. The presentation featured two discussants, the first of which is Richard Hovannisian, Professor of Armenian and Near Eastern History and Chair of the Armenian Educational Foundation in Modern Armenian History at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The second is Dr. Pamela Steiner, Director of the Inter-Communal Trust-Building Project; Fellow, FXB Center, Harvard School of Public Health & Affiliate, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. She is also the great granddaughter of Henry Morgenthau, US Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire.

Hasan Cemal shared his impressions in an article entitled "What will Cemal`s grandson say?" In entering the hall he heard a person asking why the grandson of their grandfathers` murderer had been invited.

"I am not going to enjoy an evening party here. But I say I have brought greetings to you from Anatolia. Our roots stem from the same sources. I am well aware of your pain and share it. I have come here to extend my hand to Armenian young people. However, we must not allow pain and torture to block the way to reconciliation," Hasan Cemal said.

During his speech he uttered the word "genocide" several times. One of the attendees asked him if he was not afraid to do so. "I showed him a brochure of the conference with me pictured laying flowers at the Memorial to the Armenian Genocide in Yerevan three years before," Cemal wrote.

In September 2008, Hasan Cemal visited Tsitsernakaberd and laid flowers. On April 24, 2010, he wrote that denying the Armenian Genocide was tantamount to being an accomplice to that crime against humanity.
      Cemal Pasha, one of the three masterminds behind the Armenian Genocide, was assassinated in 1922 in Tbilisi by Stepan Dzaghigian.

Dear Mukuch,

thank you so much for this interesting information I would never believe that one day the granson of the massmurder Cemal Pasha will say this words which you already wrote.

I am indeed positivly surprised ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hayayrun View Post

thank you so much for this interesting information I would never believe that one day the granson of the massmurder Cemal Pasha will say this words which you already wrote.
        Try and find out a “crime” or a bad deed of your grandfather.
        Then say to yourself or to the victim that you are sorry, see how easy, hollow and meaningless it sounds.
        No different than saying sorry for a crime committed by your neighbour.
        "I am not going to enjoy an evening party here.
        So sorry for you.
        But I say I have brought greetings to you from Anatolia.
        From whom, those who are living on our lands?
        Our roots stem from the same sources.
        Our roots are not the same. We Armenian you are Turks.
        A bit of education would have sorted that one out.

I am well aware of your pain and share it.
        Do you really?
        As an experiment try to “share” the pain of J.ws vis-a-vi their holocaust. See how much pain you feel.

I have come here to extend my hand to Armenian young people.
        Why only the young? Do the old have too much historical luggage with them.

However, we must not allow pain and torture to block the way to reconciliation," Hasan Cemal said.
        I thought we would come to this.
        Classic Turkish policy. Deny first, if it does not work try to make them forget it.
        Of course with reconciliation they get forgiveness in the package with no retribution.

I am indeed positivly surprised ...
        I am NOT.
        You are easily charmed by the snake, forgetting its venom.
        Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
        Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
        Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Dear londontsi,

you wrote to me: "You are easily charmed by the snake, forgetting its venom." Of course not dear lonontsi.

You detected me, because, when I wrote "I am indeed positivly surprised" I mean it sarcastic I hate turks and execrate them for ever.

Comment

Dear londontsi,

you wrote to me: "You are easily charmed by the snake, forgetting its venom." Of course not dear lonontsi.

You detected me, because, when I wrote "I am indeed positivly surprised" I mean it sarcastic I hate turks and execrate them for ever.
            I understand.
            Although this is an old story, I can see it being spanned as something significant.
            I really think it has no “historical” value except some front news on the day.

What I fear is “news” such as these have the effect of trivializing the long term battle of the “Hye Tad”
            and soften its aim.
            Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
            Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Dear londontsi,

Turkey move on, moves upward, makes itself useful to the world. Armenia dig itself a hole and just sits in it, and each year digs the hole a little bit deeper. No wonder nobody cares for you - the hole is so deep they can't even see you anymore. And anyone approaching the hole to look down gets a stone thrown up at them.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Turkey move on, moves upward, makes itself useful to the world. Armenia dig itself a hole and just sits in it, and each year digs the hole a little bit deeper. No wonder nobody cares for you - the hole is so deep they can't even see you anymore. And anyone approaching the hole to look down gets a stone thrown up at them.

Remember the wise words of British Prime Minister of a bygone era Harold Wilson.

"One week is a long time in Politics".

If you think the world will settle down into a final mould, you are living in dream cuckoo land.

You wait until the Muslim revival ( revolutions ) already underway.

With their power of geography, demography, oil and money will shape many things.

American & European strategists will be burning the midnight candle thinking “what shall we do now, what can we do now”.
                I would love to see what role will they allocate to Turkey.

Lapdog of the west or leader of the new enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                  Remember the wise words of British Prime Minister of a bygone era Harold Wilson.

"One week is a long time in Politics".

If you think the world will settle down into a final mould, you are living in dream cuckoo land.

You wait until the Muslim revival ( revolutions ) already underway.

With their power of geography, demography, oil and money will shape many things.

American & European strategists will be burning the midnight candle thinking “what shall we do now, what can we do now”.
                  I would love to see what role will they allocate to Turkey.

Lapdog of the west or leader of the new enlightenment.
                  What has the above got to do with a reply given to a person who, when told of a Turk who wrote that "denying the Armenian Genocide was tantamount to being an accomplice to that crime against humanity" responded by stating "I hate turks and execrate them for ever"?
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    Obviously you care, because you will not gtfo of this forum! Shove the anti-Armenianism!
                    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                      Obviously you care, because you will not gtfo of this forum! Shove the anti-Armenianism!
                      Armanen throws up a stone from inside that hole. More a pebble really.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X