Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Genocide information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALl you are talking about is late 19th century,
    I wasnt talking about the late period.
    Armenians were NOT second class citizens before mid-1800s. And it was not late 19th century that their situation worsened.
    At those times nobody had any good situation at all, the European powers or Empriealist powers wanted to disintegrate Ottomans with those treaties thats it. DO you think they gathered around a table and wanted to improve the quality of life? Why didnt they do the same for Turks or other Muslims?

Yes I did say it why do you reiterate I dont know, yes non muslims were not in the army. Did I say something different? Only Ittihadist government changed this.

those event in 1839 and in 1870s are just to improve the situation that was ALREADY detoriated. THis wasnt the case in 18th century or 17th or before. It is pretty much simplistic to think that these treaties were signed just because everything was bad before that all the time? We are talking about a state that's collapsing, and Armenians were part of it, and their situation detoriated as well as others. SO you say Turks and Muslims were OK economically those times?
    I think there is a bit of confusion here on your side, you accuse Turks behaving Armenians as Second class citizens, All the time every time and also accuse Turks of forcing Armenians to be Merchants and Traders(which make them rich). I dont know what kind of second class is that. And now you say majority of the Armenians were peasants. These are pretty much contradicting. I dont know how can Armenian only be a peasant in Istanbul, or in Izmit, or Eskisehir.

So in short you are saying Armenians were Second class or Worse before 1839 way back to 1299 when Ottomans first founded? And Finally this mistake was being revered by the treaties and laws in 19th century? IS this what you say briefly? And Armenians did resented to live under Ottoman rule or Seljuki rule all the time every time?

Originally posted by maral_m79
    It seems that you have a very little knowlege about that era ! Or you are intentionally trying to make things look like what they are not.

All the non-Muslim subjects ( raia ) of the Ottoman Empire were denied the right to bare arms. In the Istanbul Conference of 1876, the European powers proposed many suggestions to improve the quality of life of the non-Muslim subjects of the Ottoman Empire, one of those was that the Christiansbe permitted to possess arms as part of the Sultan's 1856 Treaty engagemnts... But Ottoman Turks rejected that suggestion in one of the conference sittings, after consulting the Ulema, the Islamic Law professors, Sheyulislam, their head, issued a "Fetva", declaring such possession of arms by non-Muslim subjects a violation of the Islamic Sacred Law (Sharia).
    Therefore the non-Muslim subjects, were deprived from having a role in serving in the military ....

I would appreciate it if you name their names, posts and period of serving in that post ..

No, it means that Non-Muslims were treated as second class (maybe worse) citizins, and there are plenty of examples of those those mistreatments .... You might say it can be normal for majority and minority to have such a relation ... I'll tell you that it was not normal, because in the Rose Bower Treaty of 1839 , the Sultan had promised equality of ALL his subjects !!!

But after all who can trust the Sultan !!!

Anyway, the quotes above, wasn't something that I had said, nor ANY Armenian, for that matters ... It was a research by a non Armenian scholar, and the second one is by a pro-Turkish writer ( I thought you would recognize Stanfor Shaw !)

Comment

I will find out for you those names.

Meral just be reasonable OK? You are saying Armenians were not even considered as Humans by Turks, just think for a while how could that person even come close to Palace if that were the case. Just be reasonable for a sec and think how he could become even a candidate? So you would think that a Jew could be a candidate in Germany for a ministery position in history? Would you expect a black be a minister in 19th century in US? Would you expect an African be a candidate in France? Or an Indian be candidate in Brit. Empire?

I didnt know about Sultan Hamid's mother being Armenian, but it is common to see non-Muslim Mothers of Sultans. As far as I know Fatih Sultan Mehmet's mother is Goergian. Sultan Orhan married with a Greek. They were not forced to become Muslims, some remained Christians by their will.

I would like to know the names of these people please ....
      Oh an by the way, even if any Armenian had any important post in the Ottoman administrative system, that doesn't mean that they were granting him a grace .. that would make him very very very good at what he was doing, so he managed to be better than few other Turkish candidates to the same post! Or maybe the Sultan just like him!

By the way, did you know that AbulHamid's mother believed to be an Armenian of the Harem ?? And Abdul Hamid II had tried his entire life to wip out that "Staine"!!

And I see you keep repeating the word "Khan" after his name, Why ? What did he conquer ? I believe it means "conquerer", to be named after Jingez Khan , right ?

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
        ALl you are talking about is late 19th century,
        I wasnt talking about the late period.
        Armenians were NOT second class citizens before mid-1800s. And it was not late 19th century that their situation worsened.
        At those times nobody had any good situation at all, the European powers or Empriealist powers wanted to disintegrate Ottomans with those treaties thats it. DO you think they gathered around a table and wanted to improve the quality of life? Why didnt they do the same for Turks or other Muslims?

Yes I did say it why do you reiterate I dont know, yes non muslims were not in the army. Did I say something different? Only Ittihadist government changed this.

those event in 1839 and in 1870s are just to improve the situation that was ALREADY detoriated. THis wasnt the case in 18th century or 17th or before. It is pretty much simplistic to think that these treaties were signed just because everything was bad before that all the time? We are talking about a state that's collapsing, and Armenians were part of it, and their situation detoriated as well as others. SO you say Turks and Muslims were OK economically those times?
        I think there is a bit of confusion here on your side, you accuse Turks behaving Armenians as Second class citizens, All the time every time and also accuse Turks of forcing Armenians to be Merchants and Traders(which make them rich). I dont know what kind of second class is that. And now you say majority of the Armenians were peasants. These are pretty much contradicting. I dont know how can Armenian only be a merchant in Istanbul, or in Izmit, or Eskisehir.

So in short you are saying Armenians were Second class or Worse before 1839 way back to 1299 when Ottomans first founded? And Finally this mistake was being revered by the treaties and laws in 19th century? IS this what you say briefly? And Armenians did resented to live under Ottoman rule or Seljuki rule all the time every time?

No, that's not what I was saying ... I was saying that the non-muslims were second class citizins practically, but equal to muslims on papers.

No, vast majority of the muslims didn't have a luxurious lives, and the Ottoman Empire was so much in debt that it declared bankrupcy in 1800s. That's why they tried to be friendly with the European powers.

Yes, The vast majority of Armenians were peasants and lived in a very difficult cirumstances in the Armenian Villayets.

Yes, you didn't say that the non-muslims join the army. But you said
        non Muslims were not forced to serve in the Army
        like it was a special kind of treatment, or privilige to the non-muslims.

And Armenians did resented to live under Ottoman rule or Seljuki rule all the time every time?
        I am sure that they did ... almost all sources say that they did, I'll try to find you the references asap.

Comment

TurQ,

I promised you references, and there are very few sources in english about that period in details, so I managed to find you this book titled The Turco-Mongol Invasions and the Lords of Armenia in the 13-14th Centuries, it might help you understand what I was talking about, and how bad life was for the Armenians...

One of the examples, is the following: (Please note that the numbers between brackets are either references of page numbers).

"[120] The severity of the taxes and the brutal manner of their collection triggered an abortive uprising of the naxarar/didebuls in 1248/49. This rebellion, which was discovered by the Mongols while still in the planning stages was crushed at the expense of human and animal lives and crops in numerous districts of northeastern Armenia and southern Georgia. Some of the arrested Armenian and Georgian conspirators, unable to raise the huge ransoms demanded for their release, were tortured or killed (194). But the main [123] causes of the unrest remained unaddressed by the Mongols.

After the accession of the Great Khan Mongke (1251-39) a thorough census was made of all parts of the empire during 1252-57 (195). The Iranian emir Arghun personally conducted the census of Caucasia in 1254. Although the study made by Arghun has not survived, modern scholars estimate the Armenian population of Greater Armenia (excluding Cilicia) to have been about 4 million in the mid-13th century (196). The thoroughness of Arghun's work boded ill for Armenian laborers. Kirakos Ganjakec'i [124] described it as follows:

"[Census-takers] also reached the lands of Armenia, Georgia, Aghbania, and the districts around them, and began recording all those from 11 years and up, excepting the women. And they demanded the most severe taxes, more than a man could bear. And people became impoverished. They harassed the people with unbelievable beatings, torments, and tortures. Those who hid were seized and killed. Those who were unable to pay the rate had their children taken to pay their debt, for [the census-takers] circulated around with Persian Muslim attendants.. all the artisans, whether in the cities or in villages were taxed. Furthermore, fishermen of the seas and lakes, miners and blacksmiths and painters/plasterers [were taxed] ... And they alone [i.e., the Mongols] profitted. They took all the salt mines in Koghb and in other regions. Arghun similarly profitted greatly from the merchants and heaped up vast quantities of gold, silver, and precious stones. Thus everything became expensive and the lands became filled with lamentation and complaints. Then he left in charge of the lands a wicked governor (ostikan) who demanded the same amount every year by list, and in writing" (197).

Another administrative change occurred regarding Armenia in the mid-13th century. This was the establishment of the Il-Khanid Mongol state over the territory of Iran, and the inclusion of Caucasia into it, beginning in 1256. Prior to that time the Caucasus had formed a single administrative unit composed of five yilayets. Of these five, the first two were areas of Armenian population, namely 1) the Gurjistani (Georgian) vilayet, and 2) the vilayet of Greater Armenia. The Gurjistani vilayet consisted of eight tumans or districts each capable of providing 10,000 soldiers. Three of the eight tumans in the first vilayet were Armenian and included Ani, Kars, northeasternmost Armenia, Siwnik' and Arc'ax. The second vilayet, that of Greater Armenia, embraced some of the quasi-independent Armenian principalities, such as the Mamikonean/T'orhnikeans of Sasun and the Arcrunid Xedenekeans of Vaspurakan. The center of this vilayet was Karin/Erzerum (198).
          "

From this page of the book above.

Comment

Maral

First of all the Mongols are not Turks, and the Mongols that you talk about
            (I assume Jengiz and Hulagu) were the worst enemies of Turks and Muslims themselves. They destroyed Turkish khanates in Central Asia, middle east and Anatolia. This just shows that Turks and Armenians were victims of the same aggressor.

Secondly, I didnt say Armenians and Turks never ever fought before. Majority of the wars that time were not ethnically oriented as you are trying to make analogy to wars in 19th century. We didnt have any problem Byzantines being Greek so on.

As a recap what I did say was Armenians in Seljuki State and Armenians in Ottoman state in general had no problems and were happy to be part of those societies. They had better life and opportunities compared to their christian brothers in Caucusia and Russia.

During early 15th century for example, when Ottoman state suffered great from Timur's attacks, the Armenians supported Ottoman state to remain unified while some Turkish beyliks tend to seperate from Ottomans.

TurQ,

I promised you references, and there are very few sources in english about that period in details, so I managed to find you this book titled The Turco-Mongol Invasions and the Lords of Armenia in the 13-14th Centuries, it might help you understand what I was talking about, and how bad life was for the Armenians...

One of the examples, is the following: (Please note that the numbers between brackets are either references of page numbers).

"[120] The severity of the taxes and the brutal manner of their collection triggered an abortive uprising of the naxarar/didebuls in 1248/49. This rebellion, which was discovered by the Mongols while still in the planning stages was crushed at the expense of human and animal lives and crops in numerous districts of northeastern Armenia and southern Georgia. Some of the arrested Armenian and Georgian conspirators, unable to raise the huge ransoms demanded for their release, were tortured or killed (194). But the main [123] causes of the unrest remained unaddressed by the Mongols.

After the accession of the Great Khan Mongke (1251-39) a thorough census was made of all parts of the empire during 1252-57 (195). The Iranian emir Arghun personally conducted the census of Caucasia in 1254. Although the study made by Arghun has not survived, modern scholars estimate the Armenian population of Greater Armenia (excluding Cilicia) to have been about 4 million in the mid-13th century (196). The thoroughness of Arghun's work boded ill for Armenian laborers. Kirakos Ganjakec'i [124] described it as follows:

"[Census-takers] also reached the lands of Armenia, Georgia, Aghbania, and the districts around them, and began recording all those from 11 years and up, excepting the women. And they demanded the most severe taxes, more than a man could bear. And people became impoverished. They harassed the people with unbelievable beatings, torments, and tortures. Those who hid were seized and killed. Those who were unable to pay the rate had their children taken to pay their debt, for [the census-takers] circulated around with Persian Muslim attendants.. all the artisans, whether in the cities or in villages were taxed. Furthermore, fishermen of the seas and lakes, miners and blacksmiths and painters/plasterers [were taxed] ... And they alone [i.e., the Mongols] profitted. They took all the salt mines in Koghb and in other regions. Arghun similarly profitted greatly from the merchants and heaped up vast quantities of gold, silver, and precious stones. Thus everything became expensive and the lands became filled with lamentation and complaints. Then he left in charge of the lands a wicked governor (ostikan) who demanded the same amount every year by list, and in writing" (197).

Another administrative change occurred regarding Armenia in the mid-13th century. This was the establishment of the Il-Khanid Mongol state over the territory of Iran, and the inclusion of Caucasia into it, beginning in 1256. Prior to that time the Caucasus had formed a single administrative unit composed of five yilayets. Of these five, the first two were areas of Armenian population, namely 1) the Gurjistani (Georgian) vilayet, and 2) the vilayet of Greater Armenia. The Gurjistani vilayet consisted of eight tumans or districts each capable of providing 10,000 soldiers. Three of the eight tumans in the first vilayet were Armenian and included Ani, Kars, northeasternmost Armenia, Siwnik' and Arc'ax. The second vilayet, that of Greater Armenia, embraced some of the quasi-independent Armenian principalities, such as the Mamikonean/T'orhnikeans of Sasun and the Arcrunid Xedenekeans of Vaspurakan. The center of this vilayet was Karin/Erzerum (198).
            "

From this page of the book above.

Comment

Thanks a lot by the way, I am always glad to read scholarly written articles, and PHD thesis are best and less contraversial majority of the time.

Thanks again Deer Maral

[QUOTE=maral_m79]TurQ,

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
                Thanks a lot by the way, I am always glad to read scholarly written articles, and PHD thesis are best and less contraversial majority of the time.

Thanks again Deer Maral
                Don't mention it, I hope it would help

Comment

Working...
                X