Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS SITE: http://www.boycottturkey.org/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
    Finally a little bit of sanity. (We should at least show some resoect and conprhension of Dink's views). And while I very much understand why an Armenian would boycott Turkish products - and I would never suggest that anyone violate their convictions in this matter - in general I am not a fan of such boycotts for a variety of reasons. And specifically in regard to our approach to Turks I think that it is important that Armenians reach out to Turks and be less personally confrontational. I can't blame all the Turks of today for the Armenian Genocide or even for the policies of the Turkish government. And more can be gained by communication and teaching then negative rhetoric IMO. Anyway thats just me - but I understand why other Armenians feel differently....
    Personally, I don't blame all the Turks for the Armenian Genocide or for the policies implemented by their government. I also support the view that we should reach out to Turks. We need to build political and economical partnerships with them, we should open borders, allow for transport communications between two countries, start trading and etc. The benefits of being partners are obvious, although I realize that there some very significant disadvantages as well. However, please, do not forget that this country killed 1.5 million Armenians, they took over our lands, they oppressed our nation from the late 19th century and till our days they deny all the crimes committed. How can I close my eyes on all these facts?? How can I educate Turkish people about the genocide when they don't want to hear anything about it? There are thousands of evidence about the Armenian Genocide, why don't they educate themselves, why don't they try to reach out to us?

Alright, many of them accept the fact of the Armenian Genocide, but these people are either locked in prisons, immigrated or even worse are being hated by their own nation and government. Hrant Dink tried to reach out to Turks, educate them and where is he now?

Orhan Pamuk, a Turk, a remarkable writer, a Nobel prize winner, a person who, as nobody else, deserved the respect of his fellow citizens had to escape from his homeland because of his position regarding the Armenian Genocide.

So what can I do??

Well, boycott Turkey is one of the options. Why not? This is a good way of attracting some attention. People will start asking questions about the reasons for the need of such campaign and hopefully get right answers to their question. In my opinion, this campaign is not going to harm Turkey in economic way, but it will certainly catch people's attention. The main challenge to the campaign is to make it as public as possible.

Finally, let me add a quote from boycottturkey.com. It explains the main reason why we should consider boycotting Turkish goods and tourism.

"The prevailing argument that Turkey’s democratization would encourage Turkey to acknowledge its human rights record by now been completely discredited.

The only remaining way for concerned people to exert some positive influence on Turkey to acknowledge its past seems to be through the power of the individual consumer. In short, a boycott of Turkish made goods and a boycott of tourism to Turkey."

So when they accept all the atrocities committed by their ancestors, when they apologize for all their crimes, only then we should consider being partners with them! Until then, BOYCOTT TURKEY!!!

Comment

What Turkey democratization?

And I think that you are fooling yourself to really believe that your boycott of things Turkish is making any difference beyond making you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by asalafedayiwar
        Personally, I don't blame all the Turks for the Armenian Genocide or for the policies implemented by their government. I also support the view that we should reach out to Turks. We need to build political and economical partnerships with them, we should open borders, allow for transport communications between two countries, start trading and etc. The benefits of being partners are obvious, although I realize that there some very significant disadvantages as well. However, please, do not forget that this country killed 1.5 million Armenians, they took over our lands, they oppressed our nation from the late 19th century and till our days they deny all the crimes committed. How can I close my eyes on all these facts?? How can I educate Turkish people about the genocide when they don't want to hear anything about it? There are thousands of evidence about the Armenian Genocide, why don't they educate themselves, why don't they try to reach out to us?

Alright, many of them accept the fact of the Armenian Genocide, but these people are either locked in prisons, immigrated or even worse are being hated by their own nation and government. Hrant Dink tried to reach out to Turks, educate them and where is he now?

Orhan Pamuk, a Turk, a remarkable writer, a Nobel prize winner, a person who, as nobody else, deserved the respect of his fellow citizens had to escape from his homeland because of his position regarding the Armenian Genocide.
        i think you live in turkey,may be in istanbul? if so,you are one of the closest ones to understand these two nations.i think also like you.we have to improve relationships at least to understand better eachother.

ps: please don't boycott the tourisme because i have to find an employement

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
          What Turkey democratization?

And I think that you are fooling yourself to really believe that your boycott of things Turkish is making any difference beyond making you feel better.
          Hey, they can boycott France, we can boycott them
          It would start out small but we could spread the word to non-Armenians.
          General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Also, if BP (British Petroleum) or its subsidiaries: AM/PM and ARCO have gas stations in your area - avoid them at all costs - anyone who buys from them support Turkey and Azerbaijan, and ultimately the continuing Economic attack against Armenia.

BOYCOTT BRITISH PETROLEUM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
              Hey, they can boycott France, we can boycott them
              It would start out small but we could spread the word to non-Armenians.

I can see you are not using YouTube. It has been among non Armenians for a while now. Quite popular.

Comment

I agree with Helen, I recently started to use YouTube and I can say, there is a WAR going on there between Turks and Armenians+Greeks .. Luckily I have a great Armenian war-hero friend over there to guide me around, lol

Comment

Originally posted by asalafedayiwar
                  I am sorry, but I think it is really naive to suggest that boycotting Turkish goods/services makes me feel better. If you re-read my previous post carefully, then you may probably notice that I didn't make any claims suggesting that boycott of Turkish goods/services was going to make any difference in terms of harming Turkish economy. The scale of the campaign is too small to my great regret, of course.

I underlined that the campaign was good for promoting the Armenian Genocide.Some people may come across the website, stickers, videos or whatsoever regarding the campaign and find out about all the crimes committed by Turks about which they didn't know before. Furthermore, they may even consider to join the campaign and make a small (ok,microscopic) difference , but still it's better than supporting Turkey (read Turkish government) and thus indirectly financing their campaign for denying the genocide.

By the way, check out this video and further circulate the link, so that we can make the campaign more public: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibE_P7TvlQ

And finally, without underestimating the role of any websites like AG.com, we should understand that we need some more actions. I think nobody needs to be reminded that the denial continues for 92 years...

I agree with the idea of the boycott and it could actually be effective with hard work and spreading the word but my only criticism is that you should probably delete any reference to violence and to the ASALA, and fedayeen (as seen in your nickname). That will only make the fight harder and will make non-Armenians distance themselves from your/our efforts because the Turks will seize upon those details and counter. Focusing on Turkey's poor human rights record, denial of the Genocide, etc is the way to go. Otherwise, good work.
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I am sorry, but I think it is really naive to suggest that boycotting Turkish goods/services makes me feel better. If you re-read my previous post carefully, then you may notice that I didn't make any claims suggesting that a boycott of Turkish goods/services was going to make any difference in terms of harming Turkish economy or changing it's political regime. The scale of the campaign is too small for such things to happen (to my regret, of course. )

I underlined that the campaign was useful for promoting the Armenian Genocide.Some people may come across websites, stickers, videos or whatsoever regarding the campaign and find out more about it (and accordingly about the genocide). Furthermore, they may even consider joining it and make a small (ok,microscopic) difference , but still it's better than supporting Turkish economy and thus indirectly financing their campaign for the genocide denial.

You know there are also a lot of other factors involved in the campaign's support. I know hundreds of Armenians who, for some reasons, do not know many facts about the genocide, or, for example, find reading books or websites boring and find participating in debates impossible due to lack of knowledge, but still they want to somehow be involved in our struggle for the genocide recognition. This campaign is a good chance for them to make some difference. And this goes not only to Armenians, but to all nations. Participating in campaigns is always exciting, especially for young people, and while participating, I am more than sure, they are likely to get more and more information regarding the genocide and other atrocities committed by Turks.

To be honest, I can think of another million reasons why this campaign is useful. I just don't see a point to debate it here. I think if you want to support then do it, if you don't want to support it for some reasons, then don't. There's no point for a debate!!!

By the way, check out this video and further circulate the link, so that we can make the campaign more public: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibE_P7TvlQ

And finally, without underestimating the role of everything that has been done for the recognition of the Armenian Genocide, we should understand that we need more actions, more fresh ideas. I think nobody needs to be reminded that the denial continues for 92 years...

Comment

Joseph, I am sorry for any confusions caused, but you actually quoted me while I was editing my post, so you quoted me first and only then I published my edited post.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I was actually considering to change my username, or, more precisely, open a new youtube account, which will not contain any references to ASALA or fedayis. I will upload the video to that new channel and then let everybody know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X