Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello I am new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell,

I will not argue with you over religion. That would be ridiculous. But it is also ridiculous to argue that religion did not play a major role in the survival of the Armenian people over the centuries of conquest, destruction, and rebuilding that Armenians have lived through during their existence on this Earth.

To my mind, there are three main contributing factors to continued Armenian existence: (1) distinct language; (2) distinct alphabet; and (3) distinct religion (as compared to surrounding forces and peoples). I don't know what the weight of each of those factors is, but I know they all contributed.

Comment

Welcome Nick! I'm sure you have much to add to our forum...I'm looking forward to your posts...
      I have a theory about religion that may or may not apply to the Armenian case and that is that if a religion has been in a region for a very long time, the traditions and rituals become so interlinked with each other that the religion becomes part of the culture. And for me culture is the mix of all these factors that define a race or rather a certain group of peoples living in the same area. Research tells me that the Armenians were the first country(?) to have taken the Christian religion as their main religion...Therefore, Christianity is so embedded within you, your culture etc. that in a way it does define you...

Comment

Well said, Jade...

Welcome, Nick...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_A View Post
          I am part Armenian and part Russian with some Italian and British as well. As a cousin visiting from Moscow once remarked, "I make a good xxxxtail."
          xxxxtail or not, ... you are from a survivor family and you still have something in you for the Armenian Genocide; ... these 2 fact points would be enough to still nameTAG you as an Armenian.

Welcome aboard,
          remember!! activity is the key secret of this forum

Comment

Originally posted by SoSarkissian View Post
            Welcome aboard,
            remember!! activity is the key secret of this forum
            Indeed...SoSarkissian I believe you are fairly new too yet you've already got the key=))
            As for my earlier post, can we all come to an agreement about culture=religion (atleast in some cases, I believe Armenia being one) ??? Remember, I am not a religious person at all, far from it, yet I do admit that in a way Islam has become part of Turkey's culture...Etc...As is the case with Armenia

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
              I will not argue with you over religion. That would be ridiculous.
              Why is it that arguing over religion is considered to be taboo. Considering all of the hurt religion has done through the ages, is doing now and will likely do in the future I think it is well past time to disucuss religion and it is well past time for unbelievers to take believers to task for the damage that they have done and are doing to our world and our species.

But it is also ridiculous to argue that religion did not play a major role in the survival of the Armenian people over the centuries of conquest, destruction, and rebuilding that Armenians have lived through during their existence on this Earth.
              I don't at all disagree with this point or disagree that one must understand the central role of Christianity to Armenian culture during this period (since 301)...and how Armenians clinging to their national religion with such fervor is part of what has kept them Armenian during these times.

To my mind, there are three main contributing factors to continued Armenian existence: (1) distinct language; (2) distinct alphabet; and (3) distinct religion (as compared to surrounding forces and peoples). I don't know what the weight of each of those factors is, but I know they all contributed.
              Obviously these are all central elements to culture. There are other factors as well. The fact that Armenians did/do not require a central authority or national designation in order to continue to view themselves as "Armenian" has been another key in our ability to survive as a group where others have faded. The centrality of the Armenian family - even beyond that of most other peoples - as of course all have this - but the degree to which the Armenian family unit shapes perceptions and personalities and is established as the moral authority etc - has helped Armenians greatly in maintaining identity beyond that national concept of such. And perhaps only Armenians - who have lived through/and continue to live through such can appreciate my point here - how and why family authority is so much stronger for Armenians then nearly any other people and how such builds and strengthens our character and makes us more resitant to outside influences (and thus we have battled against such and refused to give up our beliefs and personas) etc

Religion is still bad (and false) and we must move beyond it if we are to survive as a species. Our history (our strength of family) will ensure our cohesion as much as one can hope for - and we can maintian (aspects of) our culture and clutural practices without maintining belief (for instance look at how we still include elements of our pre-christain traditions in our culture...conciensly or not). (but if we are to say - let us not change - let us always be as we are now - well that would be like being the Amish. Is that OK with you? - maybe...but...yeah meanwhile the world will indeed pass us by...) However now that the world is integrated to the level that it is and is being homoginized as a result (for better or worse) and now that time itself is moving expotentially quicker and continues to accelerate - it is only ignorance of these things that keeps us from understanding that we are only a transitional form. All that we know and accept will soon (much sooner then you can imagine) be a quiant vestage of the past. We are evolving (quickly...can't you see it?) and everything will change. As such we have to learn to let go of certain things. Hopefully (and it is only hope...as I am not [yet? lol] in control...) we will have the wisdom to drop all/most of the bad and keep the good (as much as is [in]humanly possible) - but there is no guarrentee and we do face an uncertain (and in many respects troubling...ie you cannot imagine the potential abuses and possible dehumanization that might be possible) future. It is clear however that religion - in all of its forms - as such - faith based belief itself - is an extremely harmful thing for us at this time. It has long ago past its usefulness (and in fact it has always been a vector for human exploitation and manipulation). Only now it threatens our very survival as a species itself. It is a vestage of our childhood (as a species) that we are moving beyond - out of our infancy as intelligent evolved beings. We just have to emotionally accept that we are physical beings in organic bodies and that each of us will eventually die. One day we may craft bio-mehanical bodies so that we will live forever (or closer to such...) - as something other then us - and this may be in our future (and has all sorts of implications/ramifications in and of itself) (and BTW will probably be necessary for interstellar spaceflight....but that is another matter entirely....ah the age old concept of time...anyway...) - but until then we must accept and understand that we and everyone we know will die - and as much wishful thinking that we will live again and see them again in some sort of discorporal fairyland - and as much theats that if we don't believe as we are told that we will miss out on this and suffer terribly instead - well eh - it just ain't gonna happen - so get over it already.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post

Religion is still bad (and false) and we must move beyond it if we are to survive as a species.
                I know this post is not directed at me but personally I too feel that religion can be an inhibitor (it has certainly been for Turkey and Iran, just looking at the status of these two countries should make it clear for everyone just how big an inhibitor religion has been for them) and I don't practice it...Yet I cringe when you say things like that 1.5 million...Perhaps because I go to an international school and we are subconsciously taught to never openly lash at someone else's opinions...We may question it but never condemn it...I partially agree with you but I do wish you would use a lighter tone because afterall, these decisions and opinions are personal and who are we to condemn them? It's everyone's own private thought/opinion and I suppose we should respect that???

Comment

Originally posted by Helen View Post
                  It is on this forum..."The Assassination of Hrant Dink "..page 26

http://www.armeniangenocide.com/foru...t=2301&page=26
                  Thank you Helen and Jade.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
                    Welcome Nick! I'm sure you have much to add to our forum...I'm looking forward to your posts...
                    I have a theory about religion that may or may not apply to the Armenian case and that is that if a religion has been in a region for a very long time, the traditions and rituals become so interlinked with each other that the religion becomes part of the culture. And for me culture is the mix of all these factors that define a race or rather a certain group of peoples living in the same area. Research tells me that the Armenians were the first country(?) to have taken the Christian religion as their main religion...Therefore, Christianity is so embedded within you, your culture etc. that in a way it does define you...
                    A lot of Armenian-specific customs are actually pre-Christian in origin. (As are a lot of universal Christian customs, of course, like Christmas).
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

So when did Armenians begin naming their children Ani, Dvin and Tatev?

In Glendale (California) it is common to find females with those names. My friend even knew of a girl named Sanahin. We are so original.

Comment

Working...
                      X