Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

History of the Armenian Genocide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: History of the Armenian Genocide

Maybe i did not miss the point and your "summary" is you're not being objective because it's your "baby". My point is that there are much better written summaries for the "lazy" ones, and it takes less than 20 seconds to find them on the web. Why reinvent the wheel when it's a poor reproduction?
    Please give us links!
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by HagopJan View Post
      Maybe i did not miss the point and your "summary" is you're not being objective because it's your "baby". My point is that there are much better written summaries for the "lazy" ones, and it takes less than 20 seconds to find them on the web. Why reinvent the wheel when it's a poor reproduction?
      Oh, I HAVE searched! My dissatisfaction with the results (or "poor productions") of such searches is what led me to type this piece up in the first place (or improved reproduction). There were vital things missing from each site that I wanted to see in one spot. This one didn't go over the true reasoning of the Hamidian massacres, that one didn't mention all the details of the Adana massacres (especially the trail that found the Muslims guilty of instigation, not the Armenians as Turks today claim), etc. And when they DID mention it, it was just No one site had all the events I wanted to see in one place. I spent years piecing together a complete picture of what happened, and now, boiling that down to the basics. If you still don't get that from the thorough explanation I gave Bell, than nothing can help you.

"60,000+ pages" is about 200-300 books, that's all came out of 200-300 books?
      That's 60k pages of books, articles, sites, and so on over the course of 7 to 8 years. And no, that's not "all that came out of" all that research, thus why I clearly stated most people aren't willing to read 6 pages, let alone 60k. Are you seriously this dense, or are you here to argue just for the sake of arguing?

THIS is the result of 7 years and 60k pages of studying this subject....

Like I told you in the intro to this thread, what I have displayed here is merely a tiny pond compared to the giant ocean of info I've gathered. I can dismantle any denialist argument given any time, anywhere. I'd venture to say not even YOU would have been qualified to give the rebuttal I gave this Turk. Jampan gorsentsuts.

Of course people are "lazy", Dadrian is "kiddie material" and you are modest.
      If you don't realize that most people are lazy, you are denser than I originally gave you credit for. If you're not aware that Dadrian likes to stick with, and defend Armenian "evidence" that has been proven falsified, you are no authority on this subject, and have no business ever commenting on the Armenian genocide again. And I never claimed to be modest.

So let's see, here. So far, you have 4 posts under your belt, 3 of which revolve around you disrespecting my attempts to educate a lost generation of Armenians (as well as non-Armenians) by saying this essay is not as good as reading several books. Really??? Do we really need you to tell us that a 6 page essay is not as good as reading several books on the topic?? Do you really think someone is going to think they're a scholar on this subject by reading a 6 page essay?? And what's more, you claim there are better summaries, but have yet to show them, even though you claim it would take 20 seconds to find them. So you disrespect an Armenian genocide essay, and then make claims to some evidence that you don't provide. Sounds very Turkish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
        Still missing the point, I see.
        No, it is you who has missed the point, completely missed it, missed it by several miles.

I thought that your initial posting was intended for uninformed Armenians, quote, "most Armenians don't know jack when it comes to the genocide", and "Please take a moment to fully educate yourself on what happened to your ancestors". But now you say you wrote it for non-Armenians, quote, "this piece is for EVERYone, not just Armenians". It was inadequate for the former purpose, it is completely useless for the latter.

I said at the very start that I did not doubt your good motives in trying to write it, but good motives really are not a substitute for ability. Go get all angry and aggressive towards me if you want, but it doesn't hide the raw fact that you seem to be attempting to write something that is beyond your capabilities. Just knowing about a subject from information gleamed from other sources doesn't make you able write about it, and one of the hardest things to do is summarise a detailed and complex subject for readers who do not know much (or anything) about that subject.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
          Really? Well in that case I would simply love to read a short summary of the Armenian Genocide written by your furry grace . Let's see what a brief summary really looks like if you have something to say ...
          "Once there was, and then there wasn't."

If you want more, pay me $10,000 and give me six months, with the first month or two set aside to produce a far longer report that would carefully consider what should and what should not be in such a summary.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

What "should" and "should not" be in such a summary is completely subjective. That is not something set in stone that you get to decide. I decided what should be included based on years of reading message boards, sites, YouTube comments, news article replies/comments, etc. from Turks and Armenians alike. I observed what areas were being debated, or used as focal points, or ways to get a foot in the door of denial. I observed how/if Armenians in general were armed with enough info to refute those weak points. I decided to preemptively address THOSE issues with the summary, so that both sides may better understand what truly happened, and why. Why would something of this nature and degree be done?

My findings showed that most Armenians know the April 24th date. They know that their ancestors were removed from their homes, marched, and killed by Turks and Kurds along the way. They know they were beheaded, shot, stabbed, drowned, raped, converted to Islam, stolen into harems, etc. Going over the details or chronology of all those things is of minimal importance. What's important is eradicating these arguments that "the Armenians started it". What's important is having an understanding of how things changed as powers changed hands. My goal was to give the backdrop to the things that happened PRIOR to 1915, which most Armenians don't know anything about. For that purpose, it was MORE than adequate. It brushes on the important incidences, and how, regardless of Turkey's stance today, we were NOT the instigators of those events. It explains how the CUP was not the issue, but rather, the radical right wing that took over in 1913. THESE things are important to understand if you want to know how things went from this supposed "peaceful state of harmony between the Turks and Armenians", to the Turks wanting to annihilate the Armenians.

As to the brief paragraph about the origin of Turks and Armenians, that was only thrown in to give a simplistic rundown of who these people were to non-Turks/Armenians (as well as Turks/Armenians, who all too often, don't seem to know this info). I stated that I'm posting this here to educate the lost Armenian youth on this subject, because.....well....obviously it is an Armenian forum. Regardless of where I posted it, though, or for who, it really wouldn't have changed the way I did it. MAAAAYbe I would have eliminated the first paragraph, but that's about it, and even that is very doubtful.

So yes....yes you DID miss the point of this SUMMARY. A "far longer report" is not a summary. Sounds like you're shooting for a short book. And there is no angry, or aggressive. Just me being blown away by your inability to understand what a short summary is. The average person doesn't like to read more than a paragraph. Even 6 pages is pushing it for most (I guarantee most people look at the length of that initial post, and skip on this thread). But that was the minimum I could go without leaving out things I considered absolutely critical. In fact, it started as only 3 pages, and has evolved to 6 as I tweaked it each of the last 3 years. I, too, can write a MUCH, MUCH more extensive report on this subject (see the link in the above post about my reply to the Turk on the SOAD forums), and free of charge, BTW, but THAT would be inappropriate for a SHORT ESSAY/SUMMARY. Not to mention, no one would read it. If you're going to go that far, you may as well pick up a quality scholarly book to read.

It sounds like you and "Hagop" are in this thread merely to brag about your supposed knowledge on this subject, as in "zomg i am SOOOOO much smarter than this essay!!!" This isn't FOR you or me. This is for people that don't even have a STARTING point on this subject. This at least gives them a brief background/run down. From there, if they want to become a full blown scholar on the subject, it's up to them to dig deeper into every aspect of what I talked about. My job is not to make them an expert, but to point them in a general starting direction.

If you disagree with needing to cover these things, or the depth (or lack of) i went into them, that's your business. But understand that that's how YOU'D do a summary (which apparently, wouldn't be a summary at all). That does not somehow automatically mean my rendition of a summary is "inadequate".

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
              What "should" and "should not" be in such a summary is completely subjective.
              Is that similar to someone saying what should and what should not be called genocide is completely subjective?

You (and that hypothetical someone) are wrong - it is not subjective. You have provided what you think is an answer before properly thinking about what question you should be answering.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I actually thought that Dikran's post was pretty good...

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  No, it is you who has missed the point, completely missed it, missed it by several miles.

I thought that your initial posting was intended for uninformed Armenians, quote, "most Armenians don't know jack when it comes to the genocide", and "Please take a moment to fully educate yourself on what happened to your ancestors". But now you say you wrote it for non-Armenians, quote, "this piece is for EVERYone, not just Armenians". It was inadequate for the former purpose, it is completely useless for the latter.

I said at the very start that I did not doubt your good motives in trying to write it, but good motives really are not a substitute for ability. Go get all angry and aggressive towards me if you want, but it doesn't hide the raw fact that you seem to be attempting to write something that is beyond your capabilities. Just knowing about a subject from information gleamed from other sources doesn't make you able write about it, and one of the hardest things to do is summarise a detailed and complex subject for readers who do not know much (or anything) about that subject.
                  That's good criticism.
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Would love to see you write one Mr. Pu$$y

Comment

"Once there was, and then there wasn't."

If you want more, pay me $10,000 and give me six months, with the first month or two set aside to produce a far longer report that would carefully consider what should and what should not be in such a summary.
                      You're pretty cheap in all ways.

Comment

Working...
                      X