Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ankara seems the biggest booster of the 90th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankara seems the biggest booster of the 90th anniversary

I thought that this was a rather interesting perspective. And I agree - the more the Turks are seen out there actively denying - the guiltier and more pathetic they look....

Armenian observer: "Ankara seems the biggest booster of the 90th anniversary!"

Several months ago, when Armenians started planning commemorative activities for the 90th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, little did they know that the biggest boost for their efforts would come from the Turks themselves!

Long before the upcoming observances on April 24, Turkish journalists started publishing articles with ominous headlines such as, "The Approaching Armenian Tsunami" or "The Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide Would Be a Big Nightmare for Turkey." Knowing full well the extent of their guilt and the fact that no amount of denial had succeeded in covering up the crimes committed in 1915, the Turkish leaders thought it wise to make a pre-emptive strike in order to undermine the planned Armenian commemorative activities.

The Turks did not realize that their actions were effectively helping to publicize the Armenian Genocide to millions of their own citizens, many of whom know little or nothing about these crimes, and to millions of other people around the world.

The Turkish government enthusiastically embarked on forming so-called "expert committees" and allocated huge sums of money for their revisionist activities. As a result, before the Armenians organized a single commemorative event, the Turks had already made the entire world aware that this year was the 90th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.

Here are a few examples of recent Turkish contributions to the commemoration of the Armenian Genocide:

Prof. Justin McCarthy of the University of Louisville was invited to Turkey last week to deliver a series of lectures on the Armenian Genocide and meet with the local media. Zaman newspaper reported that he spoke about "The Reality of the Armenian Genocide," at a conference held in the Turkish Parliament. Prof. McCarthy, a revisionist historian who is well known to his Turkish masters and unknown to everyone else, told the Turks that his recent book on this issue "should be thrown from the air by plane."

When the Turks realize that they have been wasting their money on this charlatan, they may decide to dump him along with his book. The Assembly of Turkish American Associations (ATAA), with the assistance of the handsomely compensated Livingston Group lobbying firm, organized a "Capitol Forum" on the Armenian Genocide, at the Rayburn Building of the House of Representatives, on March 22. The guest speaker was Prof. Turkkaya Ataov whom I confronted at the United Nations in Geneva some 20 years ago.

The Turkish Forum was trying to imitate the Armenian Genocide commemorations organized by Armenians in April of every year in the same congressional building. The logical outcome of this Turkish event was the propagation of the Armenian Genocide in Washington without any effort or expense from Armenians.

Prof. Yusuf Halacoglu, the President of the Turkish Historical Society, suggested during a university lecture that Turkey demand the re-trial of Soghomon Tehlirian who was set free by a German court in 1921, after assassinating Talaat Pasha, the mastermind of the Armenian Genocide.

General Kilinc Tuncer, the Secretary of Turkey's powerful National Security Council, who was present at the lecture, put an immediate stop to this counter-productive idea by pointing out that during the original trial, the Ottoman government's crimes came under scrutiny, rather than Tehlirian's act. He cautioned that re-opening the court case would end up putting Turkey on trial!

After the world-renowned Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk told a foreign journalist that Turks had killed one million Armenians in 1915, scenes reminiscent of the Nazi era were repeated on Turkish streets last Sunday. Pamuk's books were collected and burned in a public ceremony, attended by Turkish parliamentarians.

No wonder Hitler's book is a best-seller in Turkey these days. Such Nazi tactics, reported by the Turkish Daily News, helped further publicize the fact that a prominent Turkish writer had acknowledged the Armenian Genocide. It is ironic that while the Turks are trying to convince the Europeans that they are ready to join the EU, they are shooting themselves in the foot, by threatening a prominent writer and burning his books!

It is expected that in the coming weeks, the Turks would continue doing their share in publicizing the Armenian Genocide. Hurriyet reported about Turkish plans to hold a protest in front of the White House on April 24. Armenians should not only welcome such an initiative, but also do everything possible to assist the Turks to ensure such a gathering takes place. Just imagine the worldwide media coverage generated by the confrontation between Turks and Armenians in front of the White House on April 24.

Armenians should be grateful for all the Turkish endeavors in the globalization of the 90th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. (AZG Armenian Daily - The California Courier, Harut Sassounian, April 2, 2005)

Originally posted by winoman
    It is ironic that while the Turks are trying to convince the Europeans that they are ready to join the EU, they are shooting themselves in the foot, by threatening a prominent writer and burning his books!
    I hope Europeans don't realize this. I hope they continue to believe in their profit making and opportunistic ideals. I sincerely hope Turkey becomes a member of the EU as soon as possible, under exactly these circumstances. I hope the EU will be shooting themselves in not just one foot, but both feet and their head with it.

Idiots:

"Images of police beating protesters shocked the EU"

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

I thought that this was a rather interesting perspective. And I agree - the more the Turks are seen out there actively denying - the guiltier and more pathetic they look....
      You think so, I mean they're still denying it.... so? And your article said Turkish people who haven't heard of the Armenian genocide before, are learning about it now because of Turkey, but unfortunately what they're learning is far from the truth! They're learning about some 200,000 Armenians who united with Russians against the Ottoman Empire and killed some 500,000 Muslims being deported, and honestly, I rather have those people stay in the dark about the genocide than learn the made-up imaginary story instead. Also, I think they're trying to make us look like liers who are after their lands, yeah that's what they're doing. Speaking of which, I just read somewhere that Dashnaksutiun doesn't approve of American Armenian lobbying groups effort to have Turkey recognize the genocide without any compensations. And I agree, a repay is necessary.

Comment

Catwoman - I understand your concerns. Nothing we can do about what Turks teach there own really - except when they come to sites like this try to edumacate them just a bit...and not just confirm their fears. I still think that the more the Turks publically deny the worse they tend to look. Obviously Turkish psuedoscience on this issue needs to be countered..but the more extreme stuff is actually serving the Armenian cause IMO. As for reperations - this is a very complecated issue. How much do you suppose you deserve?

Comment

How much do you suppose you deserve?
          Me? Giving us our lands back is good enough...
          So you don't agree with some sorft of a compensation for what they've done?

Comment

Wino, why do you say "you deserve" and not "we deserve"?...

WE deserve to receive our land and monuments back, and be the ones benefiting (meaning Armenia's economy)

WE deserve to be a great nation like our ancestors of Greater Armenia - instead of a microstate totally isolated from the rest of the world in the Transcaucasus.

WE deserve to have our dead fellow Armenians back, procreating and making our nation grow.

WE deserve to be known and respected around the world as the cradle of civilization that we are.

Who thinks of Armenia this way now a days? I have had so many people ask me what I mean when I call myself Armenian - it makes me wanna puke. Its all their fault. They are not doing us any good with this either. (as much as I would like to look at this positively) I hate them for doing this. I hope a bomb drops on them when they are protesting.

Sorry if this sounds a little...off lol I'm frustrated....

Comment

who is Levon Debaghian?

Nice post Barbi...

Nothing we can do about what Turks teach there own really
              Yeah, we can't do much about what they teach their own, true.... but when an ARMENIAN starts repeating their b.s. crap like a parrot, that's when it gets so frustrating! I was just reading this AZG article and I would like to have a word with this Levon Debaghian person. He even wrote a book about it!

WHO IS THIS IDIOT?

DISCUSSIONS ON ARMENIAN GENOCIDE IN MEJLIS WITH TURKISH-ARMENIANS' PARTICIPATION

A special session of the Turkish Commission on Harmonic Relations of the National Assembly and EU was held on April 5 to discuss the issue of "Armenian allegations of genocide". Daily Azg has previously informed that Etienne Mahchupian, columnist at Zaman daily, and Hrant Dinq, editor-in-chief of Akos weekly, were also invited to the session. Hurriyet newspaper confirms daily Azg's information in April 6 issue adding that Armenian writer from Constantinople, Levon Debaghian, also participated.

According to Hurriyet, Mahchupian said concerning Justine McCarthy's negation of Armenian Genocide's historicity that he is not accepted by historians worldwide and hinted at his love for money. Syuqur Eleqdag, deputy of People's Republican Party, stood up for McCarthy calling Mahchupian's statement slander. Afterwards, Mahchupian drew a parallel between the Kurdish and Armenian issues to which Inji Ozdemir from Justice and Prosperity Party opposed saying, "The situation in case of Armenians is that of war but in Kurd's case it is not; we have no intention to force Kurds out".

As soon as Dinq said that, "While you built monuments, hold arrangements I am deprived of opportunity to commemorate April the 24th", Ozdemir replied saying, "How else could you mark the anniversary? You have built memorials worldwide".

Hurriyet writes that only Levon Debaghian backed the Turkish views in the dispute. Despite Dinq's attempts to silent Debaghian, the latter noted that the events of 1915 were not a genocide but deportation, external powers tried to involve Turkey in civil war and added, "We are Turkish-Armenians, Turkey's citizens first of all and connected with Turkey. They are playing a trick on us; we should not give in to swindle. Those were Armenians from Russia who carried out massacres. Let's put aside all kind of allegations and be proud of being Turkish-Armenians".

AZG

Comment

Well, Turkey wanting to join the EU isn't that bad, after all in Europe you can't question the Holocaust, and in Turkey you can't admit to Genocide. Anti-intellectualism is not confined to Turkey.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
                  Nice post Barbi...

Yeah, we can't do much about what they teach their own, true.... but when an ARMENIAN starts repeating their b.s. crap like a parrot, that's when it gets so frustrating! I was just reading this AZG article and I would like to have a word with this Levon Debaghian person. He even wrote a book about it!

WHO IS THIS IDIOT?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                    Wino, why do you say "you deserve" and not "we deserve"?...
                    Well - I was asking a question. Catwoman suggested that the Turks must repay. I was asking how much she thinks she deserves. A bit of sarcasm perhaps - but my point is - this is not an easy question to answer - very many aspects to such. And I'm not sure that recognition at all requires such - and in fact demanding such just plays into the Turkish/Turkish government charge that this is all Armenian
                    s are after - some kind of a land grab/get rich quick at the expense of the Turks - etc

WE deserve to receive our land and monuments back, and be the ones benefiting (meaning Armenia's economy)
                    Again who are "we". There was no Armenian nation in the conventional sense on those lands for nearly 1000 years. And arguments can be legitimatly made that Armenians were not even a majority of the population in those lands for at least 100 and perhaps more years. Other lived and now live their as well (and some share reverence for our "monuments"). Again - in truth I do not dispute the sentiment nor the desire for what "we" deserve etc - but I'm pointing out that it is again not such a simple (nor likely) thing.

WE deserve to be a great nation like our ancestors of Greater Armenia - instead of a microstate totally isolated from the rest of the world in the Transcaucasus.
                    And the Turks giving us some tracts of land in the scrub hills will accomplish this? (and how many Armenians would truly go back there and try to make a life - this is a serious question). And what is to be done with those people who are now there? (deport/relocate them - etc? They are innocent of crimes...they are just people trying to live their lives. And anyone who opposes the concept/practice of Zionism should likewise question this approach.) All the while I do feel your pain. I toured these areas extensively (well for 2 weeks) the summer before last - and I felt and saw some of the remains of the Armenian presence. Many times I could see our ghosts on those lands...but unless the Turks mature quite significantly as a people and perhaps extend some olive branch to Armenians and allow such a resettlement or access to these places - etc - details to be worked out - the only other way to get such back would be through war and blood....would any see this as just?

I think there are many peoples who might wish for the glory of their ancestors. Perhaps the Greeks can ask for a tax on all western civilization for the debt owed to them. No - I think Armenians must suceed on their own and not hope for paltry handouts or recognition of some glorious past to promote us to our proper place...etc

WE deserve to have our dead fellow Armenians back, procreating and making our nation grow.
                    Unfourtunatly many peoples can make this claim. But what can be done - nothing about what has already been done. Only to live and learn and never forget.

WE deserve to be known and respected around the world as the cradle of civilization that we are.
                    Again - what has this have to do with the Turks? Are they holding us back? Is their denial of us and of our genocide the issue here? Or is it that we had a role - and perhaps it is overlooked - but we are a small people - we did not make the great conquests that even the imbecils are aware of...and what if we were important for agriculture, mining & metalwork and maybe a few other things (lost & forgotten literature for instance....)...well thats good...we can feel good about it...but what really is the relevance? Most Americans can't even find Iraq (in the news everyday) on the map. Do we really need their approval?

Who thinks of Armenia this way now a days? I have had so many people ask me what I mean when I call myself Armenian - it makes me wanna puke. Its all their fault.
                    The Turks fault? Do you really think if there had been no genocide these people would know any differently about Armenians/Armenia? (perhaps even less...). Its not for other's recognition of Armenians that I mourne for those lost in the Genocide and wish it had never occured...

They are not doing us any good with this either. (as much as I would like to look at this positively) I hate them for doing this. I hope a bomb drops on them when they are protesting.
                    It depends. While - of course - seeing such vehemence and ignorance from Turks sickens me (and I might second your thoughts of violence against them...but...) - and its like Aznavor's line in Ararat - "...to be so hated..." - to know that others hate you so...etc - yeah - though in fact many Turks feel this way about us (feel unjustly and rabidly hated for - in their minds - no legitimate reason...). But that is why it is not hate which we should espouse - but understanding - hate achieves nothing but more of the same. This doesn't mean we don't stick to our guns - concerning insistence on the truth - but perhaps our approach has been flawed and overly aggressive/lacking in understanding of how our "demands" appear to the other side stated as they are - etc.

Sorry if this sounds a little...off lol I'm frustrated....
                    Its OK - and please don't take my answers badly. I just want us all to think. And it is no reflection of my thinking negatively about you or your views - they are totally legitimate. However I think there is more to these issues and we have to consider reality - that we are not the only people to have been victimized - and the limits of what we can really expect in terms of remedy for past losses - etc ...doesn't make me happy either...

Comment

Working...
                    X