Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

government decree for deportation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: government decree for deportation.

Originally posted by Historian
    Excuse me, bell-the-cat, but this book sold thousands of copies the first time around and has been selling USED on Amazon.com for anywhere from $175 to $1600 per copy! My publisher, however, neglected to pay my royalties. I had a bomb threat when publication of the book was announced and was harrassed because of this book--just do a search of the Washington Post for 1991 or New York Times for 1990 and you can find out about it. I lost my business, had to leave my home and my friends, as did my family. The FBI and police investigated and recommended we move--they couldn't protect us, they said.

There are times that reprinting makes sense--and I am not an academic. Other people do read books and many people have asked me where they can buy copies.

The original of this copy of the deportation proclamation is in the National Archives, Record Group 59--go take a look. I know cats like to snooze, but sometimes a little effort is worth it. Cats also are supposed to enjoy exploring and you might be surprised what you could learn with a little detective work in the National Archives.

Seriously, we just bought a new scanner and I will scan it soon.
    Go ahead, "reprint" another "document" with your new printer. Why do you produce that much fake documents since most of the world already believe you without documents? What is the reason of this effort? Why don't you confess to yourselves that many documents that you previously showed as the evidence of genocide is proved as fake?

Comment

Excuse me, bell-the-cat, but this book sold thousands of copies the first time around and has been selling USED on Amazon.com for anywhere from $175 to $1600 per copy!
      Then I've just missed a serious bargain on ebay.

There was a reprinted copy of "The Slaughterhouse Province" that I saw on sale about 2 weeks ago with a reserve of $25. I didn't take much notice since I assumed that it was just one of those recent reprints that the Gomidas Institute have been publishing and I could always get a copy at a later date. But, checking their website right now, I see that Gomidas have not reprinted that particular book. So it must have been yours from the 1990s.

Apologies for my original posting - I had actually assumed that you were in some way connected to Gomidas, whose recent publications, although valuable in themselves, would be far more valuable if they were part of an online library, accessible to anyone at no charge.

2006 isn't 1990 - which is good in some ways, bad in others! But it is good as far as electronic publishing goes. Or if you want to have something physical to sell - convert it to pdf files, put it on cd or dvd, and manufacture them on demand.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-08-2006, 12:16 PM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by eticrax
        Go ahead, "reprint" another "document" with your new printer. Why do you produce that much fake documents since most of the world already believe you without documents? What is the reason of this effort? Why don't you confess to yourselves that many documents that you previously showed as the evidence of genocide is proved as fake?

Please read more carefully.

The book I did contains a collection of documents from the United States National Archives that I found back in the 1980s while doing research there on another topic. I am not Armenian, but what I have seen in archives convinced me that the genocide perpetrated against the Armenian inhabitants of the Ottoman Empire was horribly real.

There are official documents on the Armenian genocide in the archives of every nation that was neutral in World War I in 1915, and in the German archives--and remember Germany was the OE's ally. It was actually a German diplomat who said in 1915 that the Ottoman empire's goal was "the extermination of the Armenian race." He used the German word "Vernichtung."

The Turkish government did not deny the Armenian genocide for many years after it happened. Attaturk spoke openly about it. Everyone knew it happened during his time.

It was obviously a political measure. Modern Turkey would have a lot less territory if most of what was historically Armenia--before the Turks arrived from Central Asia--became an independent country as was outlined in the Treaty of Versailles at the end of World War I. The Ottoman Empire had already lost the Balkans, the Crimea, and North Africa. The OE leaders at the time didn't want to lose ancient Armenia in particular because its loss would have cut them off from the Arab-populated territories of Syria, Palestine, and what is today Iraq and the Saudi Arabian peninsula.

It is interesting that Armenians and Kurds outnumbered Turks in that area at the time World War I began. Had those areas become part of Armenia, how would the Kurdish question have played out?

Seriously, since there are Armenians and Turks on this forum, why not use this opportunity to open a rational dialogue? Name calling achieves nothing beyond making the name-caller feel good.

Here are several of the key issues, the first of which may well be the most important to most Armenians in the world. Obviously, since I'm neither Turkish nor Armenian, my opinion doesn't count for much, but I really would like to see a resolution to a situation that hampers both Turkey and Armenia.

1. Admission by the current government of Turkey that the Armenian genocide happened.

2. Property confiscated from Armenians in 1915--that thorny reparations question.

3. Territory. Should the Treaty of Versailles boundaries be restored to Armenia, and if so, how could an area now populated by Turks and Kurds be administered so the population would be safe?

4. Maintenance of historic Armenian buildings and cemeteries now in Turkey.

Numbers one and four would be relatively easy to implement. Two and three pose difficulties.

Realistically, item two poses a problem in terms of documenting who owned what in 1915. In all probability, the United States would wind up footing the reparations bill if such a thing were ever negotiated as will probably happen with the Palestinians. A per-person reparations payment to each Armenian descended from an inhabitant of what was western Armenia who was forced from their home during the 1915-1923 period would be one way of handling this.

As far as territory is concerned, Turkey obviously would not want to give up the land, even given the fact that its largely Kurdish inhabitants are a source of concern to Ankara. These are some thoughts on the subject.

Reparations could include compensation for land.

Areas of particular interest to Armenians are Mount Ararat and the Lake Van region due to their historical importance. After items one and four are implemented, tensions between the two countries would diminish over time. Perhaps a long-term treaty could be negotiated between Turkey and Armenia under which these areas could be freely visited by Armenians. Perhaps one day Armenians could live comfortably and safely in these areas.

It will take decades for this situation to be resolved.

It would obviously be unfair to punish today's citizens of Turkey for something that some of their ancestors perpetrated. Likewise, it is unfair to Armenians to deny the genocide for reasons of political or economic expediency.

Can't everyone work toward a solution rather than continuing the recrimination?

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
          Then I've just missed a serious bargain on ebay.

There was a reprinted copy of "The Slaughterhouse Province" that I saw on sale about 2 weeks ago with a reserve of $25. I didn't take much notice since I assumed that it was just one of those recent reprints that the Gomidas Institute have been publishing and I could always get a copy at a later date. But, checking their website right now, I see that Gomidas have not reprinted that particular book. So it must have been yours from the 1990s.

Apologies for my original posting - I had actually assumed that you were in some way connected to Gomidas, whose recent publications, although valuable in themselves, would be far more valuable if they were part of an online library, accessible to anyone at no charge.

2006 isn't 1990 - which is good in some ways, bad in others! But it is good as far as electronic publishing goes. Or if you want to have something physical to sell - convert it to pdf files, put it on cd or dvd, and manufacture them on demand.

apology accepted--and I'm sorry you missed the bargain.

Perhaps I should just put everything on CD as you say.

I'm not related to Gomidas Publishing in any way. They have reprinted many documents from the National Archives, which is a valuable task.

But as you say, since these documents are in the public domain, it would be great to have them available on the Internet.

I don't know if the National Archives is working on that.

Comment

apology accepted--and I'm sorry you missed the bargain.

Perhaps I should just put everything on CD as you say.

I'm not related to Gomidas Publishing in any way. They have reprinted many documents from the National Archives, which is a valuable task.

But as you say, since these documents are in the public domain, it would be great to have them available on the Internet.

I don't know if the National Archives is working on that.
            I don't know what the book finally sold for, so maybe it wasn't a bargain by the end of the auction!

I heard a news report recently that google are scanning a lot of books and making them available online free of charge - but they are mostly concentrating on recent books (much to the annoyance of authors since they are doing it without getting their permission first).

It's not that difficult to scan a book using ocr software. Most books are electronically typeset these days anyway, I think. So you would need to have a digital copy even for a physical reprint on paper.
            But I've never converted one to pdf files so I don't know how accurate or easy it is to do - I guess you would need to do it chapter by chapter to keep the file sizes down.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Hi Susan, I know your story, I do have all Leslie Davis reports of that book except one in one of my digitized collections, I could probably find it, but don't expect this denialist to change his view just because he would read them.

About your publisher not having pied your loyalties, did you thought of taking legal actions? I do understand that due to the situation and the fact that you became anonymous he could have always claimed that since you had no 'identity' it was impossible to pay loyalties but I am sure that there must be some solutions.

About gomidas, it is totally lasiness to mostly edit memoirs from others to make money out of it, when the place of such memoirs is on the web.

I indeed already started collecting them to place them on the internet, but now I am engaged to Wikipedia and will contribute there. On the internet, there is only one website that exist that has collections of such writtings and works to the measure of the tragedy, but it is in French, the authors are very professional in gathering their information. http://www.imprescriptible.fr/

Regards

Comment

Not you again...

Comment

Working...
                X