Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

To reap twice-blessed rewards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW QUESTIONS ABOUT FEITH
    By Dr. James J. Zogby © President Arab American Institute

Just one month ago, I wrote about President Bush's nomination of Douglas Feith to the position of Undersecretary of Pol-icy at the Department of Defense (DOD/Pentagon). Because this is one of the top four posts at the Pentagon in charge of "all matters concerning the formulation of national security and defense policy" and because Feith is an extreme hard-line pro-Likud hawk-I called it a "Dangerous Appointment."

My earlier article focused on an examination of Feith's pro-Israel writings. The body of his work reveals a strong ideo-logical and anti-Arab bias. I also noted his close association with the pro-Likud groups, the Zionist Organization of Amer-ica (ZOA) and his law firm's international work promoting the Israeli arms industry. In recent weeks more information has surfaced about Feith's activities that raise additional concerns about his nomination.

The first set of allegations are questions regarding Feith's performance during his two previous periods of government service. During the first Reagan Administration, Feith served under Richard Allen on the White House National Security staff. It was Allen who reportedly gave Israel the "green light" to undertake its devastating 1982 invasion of Lebanon. When Allen was replaced at the White House by William Clark, Feith was fired from his post. There were allegations, at the time, of his bias toward and involvement with Israel

During Reagan's second term, Feith resurfaced as part of Richard Perle's team at the Pentagon. Perle is a notorious Cold War hawk and a neo-conservative pro-Israel hard-liner. At the Pentagon he was called, by friend and foe alike, the "Prince of Darkness." The team of like-minded associates Perle assembled to work under him at the DOD included not only Feith, but Steven Bryen. While serving as a staffer to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in the 1970s Bryen was accused of passing U.S. military secrets to Israel. He was removed from his post. A third member of the group was Frank Gaffney, who has, like Feith, also produced an extensive body of virulently anti-Arab writings in right wing U.S. newspapers and magazines.

During their tenure at the Pentagon, this group actively worked to solidify the U.S.-Israel defense relationship at the ex-pense of U.S.-Arab ties. It has been alleged, for example, that Feith actively worked to oppose President Reagan's decision to transfer AWACs to Saudi Arabia.

Almost immediately upon leaving office, Perle and Feith teamed up to sell their access as foreign lobbyists. One of their earliest clients was the government of Turkey.
    In 1989, Feith registered International Advisors Inc. (IAI) as a foreign agent representing the government of Turkey. In official documents, one of the stated purposes of the work of IAI was to "promote the objective of U.S.-Turkish defense industrial cooperation."

The move was heralded in the Turkish press as creating a "warmer atmosphere" between Turkey and conservative mem-bers of Congress and "the strong Jewish lobby in the United States." It was thought that these relationships would help Turkey's military ties and sales to the United States. IAI was described in both the United States and Turkish press as Perle's brainchild. The Wall Street Journal, reported in early 1989 on the creation of IAI as follows:

"Richard Perle, who among other things supervised U.S. military assistance to Turkey during his recent seven-year hitch in the Pentagon, has created a company in Washington to lobby for Turkey. The company, International Advisors Inc., is headed by three men, including two who worked under Mr. Perle at the Defense Department. According to a statement the company filed with the Justice Department, it will 'assist in the efforts for the appropriation of U.S. military and economic assistance' to Turkey."

Perle, however disputed this claim saying that IAI was not his group. He claimed that he was merely an "advisor." He fur-ther noted "I find very distasteful this business where people leave the government and the next thing you know, they're on the other side of the table negotiating with the U.S."

And in a letter to the editor of the Wall Street Journal, Perle elaborated his position by stating "I have not created a com-pany to lobby for Turkey….The firm to which the story refers, International Advisors, Inc., was created by Douglas Feith, a Washington attorney. I am not a stockholder, director, officer or employee of the firm. I will not lobby for nor represent the government of Turkey. I will chair an advisory board that is only now being formed."

In fact, in the official documents filed with the U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Foreign Agents Registra-tion Unit, Douglas Feith is listed as the Chief Executive Officer of IAI and its only stockholder.

However, in semiannual reports filed by IAI during its 1989-1994 tenure, Richard Perle is listed as the single highest paid consultant to the group earning $48,000 each year. Feith, himself earned $60,000 per year and his law firm, Feith and Zell, received hundreds of thousands of dollars from IAI. What is most disturbing in all of this, of course, is, as Perle him-self observed, the "distastefulness" of this business where "people leave the government and the next thing you know, they're on the other side of the table negotiating with the U.S."

That Perle was being disingenuous about his role in IAI and indirectly setting up his former colleague and now "partner" as the "distasteful" one, raises serious questions about both individuals. What is also troubling is the fact that during the almost six years that Feith and IAI were officially registered as Foreign Agents for the Government of Turkey, Feith and a number of individuals serving as staff and receiving payments from IAI were making tens of thousands of dollars of con-tributions to both pro-Israel PACs and pro-Israel Senators and Congressmen. In records filed with the Federal Election Commission, Feith himself contributed more than $15,000 during this period, sometimes listing IAI, a foreign agent, as his place of employment.

The one pro-Israel PAC to which Feith contributed $3,500, Washington Political Action Committee, just so happened to be headed by Morris Amitay, former AIPAC official and one of the earliest members of IAI!

Two of the single largest recipients of this largesse were Senator Robert Packwood and Congressman Dan Burton. In an article published in 1997, in the Charleston Daily Mail, Burton was accused of having his position on several foreign pol-icy issues influenced by campaign contributions from foreign agents. The article specifically cites Feith giving this exam-ple: "A strong supporter of Turkey, Burton took to the House floor June 5 to denounce efforts to cut off all U.S. aid to the country [Turkey] because of human rights criticism. 'Let me give my colleagues some facts about Turkey and about the Armenia problem,' Burton said as he launched into a historical account. The speech went on, citing almost word for word material distributed to members of Congress by Capitoline, Turkey's lobbying firm. For several years, when the firm of former President Regan aide Douglas Feith was paid $600,000 a year to lobby for Turkey, Feith's office had regular con-tact with Burton and his aides. Feith gave donations to a handful of lawmakers over the years, including at least $2,250 to Burton."

More recently, Feith and Perle teamed up to represent another foreign entity, the government of Bosnia. According to Richard Holbrooke, the principal U.S. negotiator at the Dayton peace talks, Perle and Feith worked for and advised the Bosnians during the talks. This time, however, they did not register with the Department of Justice, as foreign agents are required to do.

It should also be recalled that both Perle and Feith worked together in 1996 to prepare the document "A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm" that advised the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on what issues to raise and what language to use during his first visit to the United States in July of that year.
    Now, it must be said that while (as Perle acknowledges) this might all be distasteful, and in the case of the PAC contribu-tions, at least, questionable, none of it is illegal. But it does raise serious questions about the fitness of Mr. Feith to serve as the Undersecretary of Defense in charge of developing "policy on the conduct of alliances and defense relationships with foreign governments, their military establishments and international organizations;" and developing, coordinating and overseeing "the implementation of international security strategy and policy…on issues…that relate to foreign gov-ernments and their defense establishment."

Comment

Originally posted by Gogor
      Apparently you don't know the distinction.
      Apparently you are boring.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
        Aaaah! It's back!

Really though, this "anti-Jew" thing wasn't around here before. Who started it, I wonder...
        THEY started it. Is there any reason to stop it until they stop it????
        I dare ask, "If the enemy is numerous, disciplined, and about to advance, how should we respond to them? I would say, first seize something they love for then they will listen to you...attack what they love first."
        -Sun Tzu

Comment

Gogor, I command you to stop. kthx.

Comment

Originally posted by MagieSimpson
            THEY started it. Is there any reason to stop it until they stop it????
            Go to any Israeli/Jewish forum and check if its users do anything close to what people like Gogor have been doing.

Comment

Some Armenians Angered over Jewish Defense Group's Salute to Turkey
              BETTE WINEBLATT KEVA
              Jewish Journal Staff

An advertisement on The New York Times Op-Ed page of Nov. 8, sponsored by the American Jewish Committee, Ameri-can Jewish Congress and the Anti-Defamation League, congratulates the Turkish Republic on its 75th anniversary.

The ad states, "As Americans and Jews, we join in celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the founding of the Turkish Re-public. We especially applaud Turkey for: Its democratic and secular values; its close and mutually beneficial ties with the U.S.; its invaluable strategic role as a NATO partner; its ever deepening relations with the State of Israel; its historic tradi-tion, dating back more than 500 years, as a haven for Jews fleeing persecution. We join with the Turkish people in cele-brating this milestone, and we look forward to continued flourishing ties in the years ahead among Turkey, the U.S. and Israel."

Angered by the ad, Gloucester photographer Nubar Alexanian, an Armenian-American, responded to The New York Times and The Jewish Journal. In part, his letter reads: "Why would the Anti-Defamation League, of all organizations, choose to publicly celebrate something they had to know would cause the same kind of humiliation and pain their own people have suffered and continue to fight against?" Alexanian refers to the fact that Turkey has neither acknowledged nor given a name to the Armenian genocide of 1915 which "exterminated over a million people."

"I cry out for my father, who has never believed he will live to see the naming of this tragedy; and my grandmother who lost her parents, brother, sisters and three daughters in the slaughter of the village of Yalava by the Turks. I cry out for my grandfather who lost his entire family and fled to America for safety, and for an entire people" Alexanian, who wrote that he was forever changed after photographing in Auschwitz and Birkenau for an Errol Morris film last May, asks the three Jewish defense organizations, "I do not plead, 'How could you?' In defiance, I demand, 'How dare you!'"

Asked to comment, National Director of the ADL Abraham Foxman said Turkey has a remarkable history of friendship toward the Jewish people, beginning in 1492 "when it opened its doors to Jews being expelled because of the Spanish In-quisition." Throughout history it has served as a refuge for Jews, particularly during World War II and "even at times helping Jews escape from Iran. It has a magnificent history of tolerance," said Foxman. Although it is a Moslem-populated country, it has "courageously maintained a close, warm open relationship with the State of Israel; and it has been a bulwark against [Islamic] fundamentalism in Turkey and beyond."

Foxman acknowledged the pain of the Armenian genocide. "But that is the conflict between the Armenians and the Turk-ish people. They will hopefully some day resolve it. Why is it that if we are Turkey's friends, we have to acquire their enemies? We as a Jewish community are celebrating the 75th anniversary; taking an opportunity to say to a country which has an atypical history toward us, that we appreciate what it has done."

"So, we are Turkey's enemies? That's just like saying Germany was your enemy," responded Rev. Aram T. Marashlian when told Foxman's remarks. "That's like saying all it was, was a war and not a genocide. Where did Hitler get the idea then to eliminate all the Jews, if not for the Armenian genocide. Frankly, Mr. Foxman doesn't impress me."

Marashlian is a long-time devoted friend to the Jewish community on the North Shore and Merrimack Valley. He has most recently initiated and jointly organized with Rabbi Ira Korinow a Kristallnacht commemoration in Haverhill where churches and public office buildings kept their lights on all night in remembrance of the pogrom which signalled the be-ginning of the Holocaust in Germany. Despite his anger over the present controversy, Marashlian said he'll always be a friend to the Jewish community.

"Israel and Turkey have a treaty. That's the basic reason [the three Jewish organizations] are doing this. It is political, but at the same time, it alienates friends. But I haven't abandoned the Jewish community. I'm not afraid to stand beside Ira [Korinow] and fight anti-Semitism. We always have and we always will. The ADL can be as political as it wants, but I have got to be who I am."

Sonia Weitz, co-founder of the Holocaust Center of the North Shore, while calling the three organizations very respect-able and lauding the good work that they do, said, "My sympathy would be toward the Armenian people, they deserve some consideration. At least the Germans admit what they did; the Turks never did. They are not my favorite nation. I hope the Jewish organizations researched it before placing the ad. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, I think the Armenian people should speak up."

"The ad in no way implied anything adverse to the Armenians or the Greeks," said Lawrence Lowenthal, executive direc-tor of the American Jewish Committee, New England Region. While saying that "no one, certainly not in the Jewish community, is going to forget the massacre of the Armenians, one of the greatest atrocities of the 20th century, everything stated in the ad is true."

Lowenthal emphasized the strategic military alliance between Turkey and Israel which has "altered the military dynamic in the Mideast. The alliance has caused consternation to the other Moslem states in the area. Relations are so good that when Israelis travel to Turkey, it is considered domestic travel. Aside from Israel, Turkey is one of the strongest NATO partners, and Turkey has been a safe haven for half a millenium for Jews." Lowenthal noted that Japan "has never ac-knowledged its atrocities during World War II, and it is considered one of the closest friends of the U.S. It's a cruel world. If we want to judge contemporary nations on the basis of horrific past deeds, there would not be a kind thing said about anybody."

Comment

THE JEWISH MILLET IN THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE

by PROF. DR. STANFORD J. SHAW
                UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA/LOS ANGELES U.S.A.
                VISITING PROFESSOR OF TURKISH HISTORY AT BİLKENT UNIVERSITY/ANKARA-TURKEY

ESTABLISHMENT OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY IN THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE
                It was only with the establishment of the Ottoman Empire in Southeastern Europe and the Middle East starting in the 14th century that Jewish refugees from Christian persecution found the kind of tolerance and freedom that enabled them to prosper without fear. As a result, those Jews who had survived in Byzantine Constantinople and Asia Minor did every-thing they could to contribute to Ottoman success, particularly during the sieges which led to the Ottoman conquests of the centers of Byzantine administrative and economic life in Asia Minor and Thrace, Bursa and Constantinople. The Ot-toman rulers very quickly contrasted the support provided by Jews in the conquered Byzantine territories with the hostil-ity manifested by the conquered Greeks and Armenians, who from the earliest days of Ottoman rule attempted to stimu-late European Crusades to rescue them from the domination of Islam. Insofar as the Ottomans were concerned, therefore, they trusted and relied on their Jewish subjects far more than on the Christians. The Ottomans therefore preferred to use Jews wherever possible to develop the trade and commerce of their new empire. In return for their support, Ottoman Jewry received rewards from the sultans, including not only toleration and ability to pursue their own lives and religious practices without any of the restrictions which had so limited their lives in Christian Europe, and protection against Chris-tian attacks, but also encouragement for their co-religionists remaining in western Europe to emigrate into the lands of the Ottoman Turks.

The 16th century Jewish historian, Eliyahu Kapsali, writing in Crete, attributed the collapse of the Byzantine Empire and its conquest by the Ottomans directly to the Byzantine persecution of the Jews:

Pass through the gateways of this book, turn to the way of God, study its tales, read and see that God, in His wisdom and understanding, rendered this Turkish nation great.... The Turks is the rod of His wrath, the staff of His anger, and by means of Him He takes His vengeance of the gentle nations and tongues and states whose time has come.

Following the Ottoman conqueror of Byzantine Constantinople in 1453, Mehmed II 'The Conqueror' (Fatih) encouraged the persecuted Jews of Germany and Spain and elsewhere in Western Europe to immigrate into his Empire, using for this purpose the Chief Rabbi of Edirne (Adrianople), Isaac Tzarfati, who himself had fled from persecution in southern Ger-many earlier in the century, sending Tzarfati's appeal to his fellow Jews to join him in the dominions of the sultan:

Your cries and sobs have reached us. We have been told of all the troubles and persecutions which you have to suffer in the German lands.... I hear the lamentation of my brethren.... The barbarous and cruel nation ruthlessly oppresses the faithful children of the chosen people..... The priests and prelates of Rome have risen. They wish to root out the memory of Jacob and erase the name of Israel. They always devise new persecutions. They wish to bring you to the stake.... Listen my brothers, to the counsel I will give you. A too was born in Germany and studied Torah with the German rabbis. I was driven out of my native country and came to the Turkish land, which is blessed by God and filled with all good things. Here I found rest and happiness. Turkey can also become for you the land of peace.... If you who live in Germany knew even a tenth of what God has blessed us with in this land, you would not consider any difficulties. You would set out to come to us.... Here in the land of the Turks we have nothing to complain of. We possess great fortunes. Much gold and silver are in our hands. We are not oppressed with heavy taxes, and our commerce is free and unhindered. Rich are the fruits of the earth. Everything is cheap, and every one of us lives in peace and freedom. Here the Jew is not compelled to wear a yellow hat as a badge of shame, as is the case in Germany, where even wealth and great fortune are a curse for a Jew because he therewith arouses jealousy among the Christians and they devise all kinds of slander against him to rob him of his gold. Arise my brothers, gird up your loins, collect your forces, and come to us. Here you will be free of your enemies, here you will find rest.

Capsali relates how Sultan Bayezid II (1481-1512) sent out his own invitations to the Jews of Spain as soon as he learned of their expulsion at the hands of the Spanish Inquisition:

So the Sultan Bayezid, King of Turkey, heard of all the evil that the Spanish king had brought upon the Jews and heard that they were seeking a refuge and resting place. He took pity on them and wrote letters and sent emissaries to proclaim throughout his kingdom that none of his city rulers should be wicked enough to refuse entry to Jews or to expel them. In-stead, they were to be given a gracious welcome, and anyone who did not behave in this matter would be put to death.... Sultan Bayezid, king of Turkey, having learned of all the evil that the King of Spain did to the Jews, who were seeing a place of refuge, had pity on them and ordered his country to greet them well, and he ordered the same thing for the island of Chios, which had been paying a tribute to him....

Just as Sultan Mehmed gathered the Jews living in other communities and brought them to live with him in Costantinople and said: 'Come and shelter in my shade as we have written,' similarly his son, this Sultan Bayezid, treated the seed of Abraham, servants of God, well,... and did not cast them out from before him as some of the Gentile Kings did to us.... Were it not for this, the remnant of Judah and traces of Israel, exiled from Spain and Aragon and Portugal and Sicily by the unsheathed sword of the wicked King of Spain, would have been lost....

Even before the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople and its transformation into the Ottoman capital Istanbul, therefore, and increasingly afterwards for another two centuries, the Ottoman Empire became the principal object of immigration for the persecuted Jews of Central and Eastern Europe, to whom were added the flood of exiles from Spain and Portugal and of the Spanish Jews who had converted to Christianity (Marranos), but who still were persecuted by the Inquisition in the early decades of the 16th century, as well as those found in the Middle East as it was incorporated into the empire at the same time.

These Jewish immigrants settled all over the expanding Ottoman empire, in the lands that today are the states of Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece, Egypt, Syria, Cyprus and the other Aegean and Mediterranean islands and in what is now Turkey at Bursa, Gallipoli, Manisa, İzmir, Tokat and Amasya. Some also went to the east Mediterranean islands of Cyprus, Patras and Corfu, but with their native Greek populations remaining substantial majorities, they were not as wel-come as in those areas of the new Empire in which Muslims dominated society. For the most part, however, the newly arriving Jews settled down where there were substantial Muslim populations, in the Ottoman capital Istanbul, in the capi-tal of Ottoman Thrace Edirne (Adrianople), along the Macedonian shores of the Aegean at Salonica, and in the Holy Land, particularly at Jerusalem and Safed, in total numbers estimated at from 150,000 to 200,000 people, far more than the 30,000 Jews then living in Poland and Lithuania. Ottoman Turkish Jewry thus constituted by far the largest and most prosperous Jewish community in the world at that time, a period that came to constitute the Golden Age of Ottoman Jewry.

Comment

Special Report
                  The Turkish-Israeli Alliance Is a New Destabilizing Factor in the Middle East and Southern Europe
                  By M.C. Geokas and A.T. Papathanasis

“In their haste to praise the Turks, their U.S. Jewish supporters have even accepted the Turkish insistence that the 1915 Turkish massacre of 1.5 million Armenians did not constitute genocide and was not the first holocaust.”

Comment

Jebus, do you have all this saved or something?

Comment

"Jews who were admitted into the Ottoman Empire by Sultan Bayazid II are of the opinion that claims of genocide in Turkey are lies." David Asseo, Istanbul's Chief Rabbi.

Comment

Working...
                      X