Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Taner Akcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taner Akcam

Taner Akcam, is a political dissident. He was member of Revolutionary path in 70s.

His ethnicity is not important, he has the same diaspora feeling(right or wrong thats not the point) like the Armenian political diaspora leaders.
    I had the chance to listen him in Austin, Texas.

BEcause of his background he can not be objective on this issue(as you might see it is hard to find unbiased study on this because it is highly politicized).

THis issue for this reason should be left to open historical studies apart from political influence.

I personally prefer Roland SUny of university of Chicago(he is an Armenian and a supporter of Genocide claims) or Gerard Libardian( i think he is from NYU) another Armenian historian over Taner Akcam.

During his conference at University of Texas my friend asked him about the Crimean Genocide against Tatar Turks(Akcam was saying studying Armenian genocide is an humanitarian duty or something like that), why Taner Akcam is not interested in those part of history(may be thats done by his comrade Stalin thats why).

As you see Armenians can only find political dissidents noone else.

This is not to discredit him, but this what he is. There are important historians in Turkey, ask your own Armenian historians about their credits.

I recommend you, Prof Halil Inalcik, or Prof. Cemal Kafadar.

I know your first reaction, would be these historian are TUrkish version supporters. For this reason I challange you to ask these names to your own historians before your expected(but not suprising) reactions.

One other thing. Who would ever hear the name Prof. Taner Akcam if he hadnt study Armenian events???
    He studies an event which is highly politisized and popular the Armenian sense. So you can see him on TVs radios, newspaper interviews etc etc. What kind of scientific merit does he have other than studying a popular topic?

I suggest you guys to find historians who are known by their studies on the the science of history, not *popular* history.

An other question is, does Taner Akcam have the ability to study Ottoman Archieves?

So Taner Akcam being a political diaspora and dissident + study same resources as the Armenians do(or given by Armenians) could arrive any other conclusion than official Armenian version??

Maybe Taner Akcam differs 2 things from Armenian version

1) He also acknowledges(very rarely) European involvement, and asks Europe(including France, britain etc) to claim their share of responsibilty

2) He opposed land raparations, land to be given to state of Armenia.

As you can see these are very little to do with history but mostly political conclusions of this problem. He is mostly %100 with Armenian version.

PS: I remember also that his wife is Armenian, but I am not sure, just correct me if I am wrong ok?

Comment

weak

yes attack the messenger not the message. You ignore the complete validity of his treatese and instead try to present him as some stooge unworhty and such. I think the quality of his work speaks for itself...as does the lack of quality of those who commonly accept and promote the "Turkish thesis"...

Comment

Originally posted by mustafa mert
        kids so sorry for you....why dont u just acccept what i say!! i live in turkey i know these guys better than u!! taner akcam is an ex terrorist..before 1980 there ws a kind of nationalist-communist war here in turkey...dev-yol(sol) was the most important communist terror group..akcam was one of the leaders..after he escaped to germany he didnt support that group anymore and started to make an academic carrier....his ex friends like dursun karatas is still sought by police and the interpoll...he can now freely come to turkey since some new law regulations erased ex crimes...fadix when u meet hin again ask him about his past..he wont deny since i ve heard hin talking on tv and saying yes old days were full of mistakes..ask any turkish here about akcam u ll get the same answer....
        "Kids so sorry for you... why don't you just accept what I say"

the KIDS answer to you: BECAUSE YOU GIVE NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT WHAT YOU SAY!!!!

Nobody will ever believe you until you present evidence. You have proved there is great reason to suspect the falsehood of your claim by repeatedly ignoring my requests to submit a real source(s) for your conclusion about Ackams past. You say "I live in Turkey, so I know" yeah, we're all just going to trust anything you tell us because you live in Turkey... When a citizen of Turkey the government presents you with a wonderful gift right?... Its called the gift of propaganda! And now because they have force fed you their lies to go and regurgitate to the rest of the world, we are all supposed to trust you without any substantiation JUST BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN TURKEY.

Good luck convincing people in this manner... for the rest of you, who want to present a ligitimate case - when you make a claim, be prepared if requested to substantiate that claim with sources of evidence (other than your geographical location).

As of this point, unless anyone disagrees with me, I think it is safe to catagorically dismiss Mustafa's claim about Ackam as false until further substantiation has been posted.

Thank you anyway for trying, but go find someone stupid to tell your stories to...

Comment

Working...
        X