Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

"insulting Turkish identity"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Charges against Dink

New Investigation Opened Against Hrant Dink for 'Insulting Turkish Identity'
    By Cihan News Agency
    Published: Tuesday, July 18, 2006
    zaman.com

The chief public prosecutor of the Sisli district of Istanbul has initiated an investigation into ethnic Armenian journalist and writer Hrant Dink for allegedly insulting and denigrating the Turkish identity in a statement he made to Reuters news agency on July 14.

Hrant Dink, editor of the Agos newspaper which serves Turkey's Armenian community, told Reuters on July 14, "Of course I call this a genocide because the result defines itself and gives itself the name. You can see for yourself that a people that have lived on this land for 4000 years no longer exists in that region due to these events."

The fate of the Armenians under the Ottoman Empire during WW1 and after remains a sensitive issue in Turkey.

Armenians claim that 1.5 million Armenians living in the Ottoman Empire were killed as part of an intentional and systematic campaign of genocide during World War I.

Turkey denies the allegations claiming that 200,000 Armenians died during the forced migrations due to cold weather and poor transportation conditions.

Last week, the Turkish Appeals Court upheld a suspended verdict against ethnic Armenian editor Hrant Dink. In October last year, Sisli Court in Istanbul had given Dink a 6-month suspended sentence on charges of insulting the Turkish identity.

In his column for the Turkish Armenian daily Agos dated February 13, 2004, Dink had likened Turkish nationalism to carcinogenic tumors and poisoned blood in its responsibility for genocide.

Today's Appeals Court statement said that there was no doubt that Dink's statement ridiculed and insulted ‘Turkishness’.

For further information please visit http://www.cihannews.com
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• EUROPEAN ARMENIAN FEDERATION
      for Justice and Democracy
      Avenue de la Renaissance 10
      B-1000 Bruxelles
      Tel: +322 732 70 26
      Tel/Fax: +322 732 70 27
      Email: [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE
      For immediate release
      July 18, 2006
      Tel: +322 732 70 26

ARMENIAN GENOCIDE : THE TRUTH STILL BANNED IN TURKEY

- Journalist Hrant Dink under arrest
      - Catholicos of all Armenians prosecuted
      - Patriarch of Constantinople forced to denial

The Turkish Court of Appeal, on the 12 July, confirmed the suspended
      jail sentence which faced Hrant Dink, the Armenian journalist. Mr Dink
      was initially condemned in October 2005 under article 301 of the Turkish
      penal code for an article published on 13 February of 2004. In that
      publication, he had called upon the Armenians to "turn toward the
      renewed blood of independent Armenia".

The European Armenian Federation is highlighting this new incident
      against freedom of speech as it occurs only a few days after legal
      actions were taken by Turkish extremist organisations against Karekin
      II, the Catholicos of all Armenians. His Holiness Karekin II was in fact
      giving a pastoral visit to his flock in Turkey at the end of June.
      During an interview with the Turkish press, when interrogated on the
      Armenian genocide, he had stated that 'historians committees' are no
      longer relevant since the "Armenian genocide has been studied by
      scholars for more than 90 years".

After the declaration of His Holiness, and in order to protect the
      Armenian minority from the threats it had received, the Armenian
      Patriarch of Turkey, Mgr Mutafyan felt obliged to iterate the denials of
      Ankara by stating that "the 1915 issue should be submitted to historians
      and scholars from each side to achieve a better understanding of the
      sensitivities of each side".

< It is now clear to everyone that beyond the usual attacks against
      freedom of speech, Turkey targets specially the truth about the Armenian
      genocide" said Laurent Leylekian, the executive director of the European
      Armenian Federation.

"We hail the reaction of the European Commission against this blatant
      violation of the right to freedom of speech. However, to follow the
      process to its logical conclusion, the Commission should now assess the
      Turkish denial policy as such, as it does for freedom of speech,
      minority rights or gender issues. It is politically incorrect that this
      criterion is left out of the assessment process and that it is only
      skimmed over in the regular reports" concluded Leylekian.

Comment

• War of nerves

War of nerves
        By Kris Evans

Friday 28 July 2006, 17:31 Makka Time, 14:31 GMT

Perihan Magden, one of Turkey's most prominent novelists, has joined a long list of intellectuals to face trial for what the state deems offensive writing.

Magden's novels The Messenger Boy Murders, and Two Girls, have been widely praised around the world, but it is her work as a columnist for Yeni Aktuel magazine that raised the ire of the Turkish military.

Magden had faced a possible three-year jail term for "discouraging people from military service".

Talking on the phone from Italy where she is attending a film festival screening of Turkish director Kutlug Ataman's film adaptation of Two Girls, she describes her situation as a "war of nerves" with the Turkish authorities.

In the offending article, published at the end of last year, she supported the idea of conscientious objection and defended the case of Mehmet Tarhan, a young man who at the time was in prison for refusing military service.

A Turkish court acquitted her on July 27.

Aljazeera.Net: Did you feel your article was inflammatory while you were writing it?

Perihan Magden: The whole article was logically written. I said that the Turkish military was so rich, so omnipotent that we really don't need these unnecessary numbers of people in service. The period [of conscription] is too long and the number [of conscripts] is too high.

I also defended Mehmet Tarhan who at the time was in military prison in Sivas because he is a conscientious objector. He is gay and the authorities wanted to examine him - a medical examination - as if you can discover a person is gay from that!

Were you surprised by the reaction to your article?

I was, because I'm a columnist and this is my job, and conscientious objection is such a normal human right, so I thought of course I can write about it.

But you always expect something to happen because writers have been sued so much; I have been in court so much but still you hope for the best and you don't want them to stop you from writing.

This is what they [the authorities] want; they want to give us all this trouble. It's a long process, even the simplest case in Turkey - it's a sort of psychological torture.

Will this court case discourage other Turkish writers from freely expressing their ideas?

I think the problem with Turkish writers is that they apply an incredible amount of self-censorship anyway. They don't want to get themselves into trouble and they're not politically involved. Some of them are very old and for 40 years they've been writing the same stuff - that's the majority of columnists.

But there are a couple of [more rebellious] writers, and we've become constant trouble. In a way, it was good that they chose me because the case became mainstream - the most conservative columnists wrote articles backing me because the things that were said in court were scandalous.

A lynch mob demonstrated there for two hours, taunting me, calling me a xxxxx. It was such an ugly scene.

So far your novels have gone under the radar as far as the authorities are concerned.

My fiction doesn't get me into trouble because they [the authorities] don't have the patience to read books. But in the future I think I will get into trouble because now I've attained this black sheep status. At the moment I'm writing a novel and at the end of it I have a great surprise for the military!

Will this case stop you from writing columns?

I was trying to quit to concentrate on my novel but because of this case I don't want to because I don't want them to say 'she's a quitter'.

But I'll be quitting at the end of August so I can concentrate on my novel.

Are you optimistic about the outcome?

I believe strongly they will acquit me. But the thing is, they want you to show up in court, they want the lynch mob to humiliate you, they want to show you can't speak your mind, write your mind.

It's a war of nerves.

Aljazeera
        By Kris Evans

You can find this article at:
        News, analysis from the Middle East & worldwide, multimedia & interactives, opinions, documentaries, podcasts, long reads and broadcast schedule.

Comment

• Turkish author cleared over draft

Turkish author cleared over draft
          by
          Thursday 27 July 2006 4:04 PM GMT

A Turkish court has acquitted an author and journalist of charges that she tried to deter people from doing their military service.

Last December, Perihan Magden wrote a column in Turkey's Yeni Aktuel magazine defending a conscientious objector who was sentenced to four years in a military jail for refusing to wear his uniform.

The column angered the country's conservatives and led to a complaint from the Turkish armed forces general staff.

The prosecution was seeking up to three years in jail for Magden for "prompting, encouraging or spreading propaganda to deter people from accomplishing military service".

In Turkey, all men over the age of 20 are required to serve up to 15 months in the armed forces. The law does not allow conscientious objection.

However, the court in Istanbul ruled that Magden's opinions fell within the scope of freedom of expression and therefore did not constitute a crime under Turkey's revised penal code.

Magden, famous for her column and novels The Messenger Boy Murders and Two Girls, was not in court to hear the verdict.

'War of nerves'

In an interview with Aljazeera before the court ruling, Magden said that the case was a form of "psychological torture" to stop her from writing.

"They want you to show up in court, they want the lynch mob to humiliate you, they want to show you can't speak your mind, write your mind," she said.

"It's a war of nerves."

Dozens of writers and journalists face prosecution in Turkey accused of insulting the state and its institutions.

Last month, the EU urged Turkey to amend an article in its penal code in order to guarantee freedom of expression, however Turkey, which is seeking EU membership, has so far resisted the call.

Aljazeera + Agencies
          By

You can find this article at:
          News, analysis from the Middle East & worldwide, multimedia & interactives, opinions, documentaries, podcasts, long reads and broadcast schedule.

Comment

• My favorite lawyer

In Turkey, ultra-nationalist lawyer wins supporters as enthusiasm for the EU falls

The Associated Press

Published: September 5, 2006

ISTANBUL, Turkey Kemal Kerincsiz believes Turkey is one of the greatest, freest countries in the world. Insult it, and you could find yourself facing him in court.
            To some in this country of 70 million, the ultra-nationalist lawyer is the voice of a proud people against a patronizing West. To others, he is the voice of intolerance and excessive patriotism — a major embarrassment that could derail Turkey's more than 40-year-old bid to join the European Union.
            As the ubiquitous, mustachioed leader of the Turkish Lawyers' Union, Kerincsiz is the reason writers and intellectuals are regularly put on trial in Turkey. When the European Union talks about slow progress on democratic reforms, they're largely talking about him.
            Kerincsiz gained international notoriety this year for dragging celebrated novelist Orhan Pamuk to court for allegedly insulting Turkishness. Pamuk, often cited as a candidate for the Nobel prize in literature, was acquitted.
            But the lawyer has met with success in less high-profile cases, winning a conviction against an Armenian-Turkish journalist for the same offense.
            He has also opened dozens of other cases against journalists, writers and intellectuals, including one set to go to court this month against Arizona-based Turkish novelist Elif Shafak. And he recently leveled charges of insulting the Turkish military against Dutch European Parliament member Joost Lagendijk, a frequent official observer of Turkish affairs whom Kerincsiz calls a "foreign invader."
            "The Lawyers' Union is behind nearly all of them," the disarmingly polite lawyer said of the cases in an interview with The Associated Press at his cluttered, lightless Istanbul office. "We have several cases open against writers. Most of them are for insulting Turkishness, insulting Ataturk (the founder of modern Turkey), cooling the people's willingness to serve in the army, you know. There are dozens of cases we have running."
            Kerincsiz and his organization of some 700 nationalist lawyers have exasperated not only EU officials — who have said the cases must be stopped or Turkey will jeopardize its hopes of joining the EU — but also Turkey's Western-looking intellectuals and its leadership.
            Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul complained once that the freedom of expression cases hurt Turkey's image as much as the 1978 film "Midnight Express," in which an American drug smuggler is sent to a hellish Turkish prison and brutalized, tortured and raped by Turkish guards.
            But nevermind, Kerincsiz says, there's not much use in trying to improve Turkey's image in the West anyway.
            "The Turk is not a race to live with the European. He is always the other, the rival," the thin, smooth-talking Kerincsiz explained from behind stacks of files on his desk.
            His office was decorated with Turkish flags and featured a tree chart in the waiting room showing various branches of the Turkic races.
            Kerincsiz believes Turkey's future is in the East and represents a growingly powerful faction of Turkish society tired of being told it must aspire to be more like the West. Recently, his view appears to be gaining traction in the government, with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Egdogan increasingly making foreign policy overtures to the Middle East — and away from Europe.
            "The Easterner has to insult himself and degrade his own culture to ingratiate himself with the West," Kerincsiz said. "Our place is in Eastern culture, our real aim is finding allies among our own people."
            By that he meant primarily the Turkic peoples of Central Asia, which he hopes to see included one day in the "Turkish Union" led by Turkey. He admits this is a far-off dream, but it's possible, he says, especially when one looks at the mishmash of different cultures joined together in the EU.
            He denied the court cases were attempts to derail Turkey's EU bid. But Kerincsiz makes no effort to hide his view that the European Union is an enemy of Turkey, one intent on breaking it apart and keeping it from becoming a major world power.
            In the year that has followed Turkey's opening of EU negotiations last Oct. 3, it has become clear that even if they don't entirely share Kerincsiz's view, Turks are cooling in their enthusiasm for accession, and he is tapping into the sources of their discontent.
            The latest Eurobarometer survey found only 44 percent of Turks surveyed thought EU membership would be a good thing for Turkey, compared to 55 percent last autumn. Last spring, 66 percent said they supported EU membership.
            Analysts suggest the drop is a backlash against Europe's disapproval of Turkey — a backlash from which nationalists like Kerincsiz who play up Turkey's strengths and disparage the EU's "insults" are likely to benefit most.
            There are indications that it's already happening. "More Turks think their membership would be primarily in the interest of the Union than of mutual interest to both," reads the text of the July Eurobarometer survey.
            This growing mutual resentment is not likely to be improved by the latest draft of Monday's EU progress report on Turkey, which said reforms had slowed and accused Turkey of "regression."
            The author of the report also urged Turkey to recognize the killings of Armenians by Turks around the time of World War I as "genocide" and to reform its penal code.
            But Kerincsiz isn't worried.
            "The EU won't last long," he says, and dares any Turkish government to try to change the laws against insulting Turkishness or the Turkish republic. Kerincsiz and his Lawyers' Union believe such laws have great support among a population increasingly frustrated with Europe and looking to its own potential greatness.
            "Don't worry, we won't be unemployed," he says with a smile. "The only salvation will be a nationalist government."
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• The way I see it, Kerincsiz is the one "insulting Turkishness"; with his brute displays of nationalistic populism. Armenians have been given a free gift, albeit unintentional, from their Turkish enemies. Alll we have to do is point to this guy and say "look, see here, this is what we've been trying to tell you all this time". Perhaps Europeans and others will begin to understand the mentality of Turkey. His type of mentality is on the rise and I saw it myself very clearly when I was there last summer.

Comment

• Fear mongering lawyer wannabe.
                In civilized countries , the law is practiced by the letter of the law and the spirit of the law is argueable based on precedent or a lack of.
                in Turkey it seems to be the opposite if the spirit of the law is profitable to certain powers the letter of the law is ignored or twisted.
                Turkey has always been like this accept now the hooligans are in the courtrooms.
                "All truth passes through three stages:
                First, it is ridiculed;
                Second, it is violently opposed; and
                Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

• Erdogan Welcomes Shafak's Acquittal

ERDOGAN WELCOMES SHAFAK'S ACQUITTAL

PanARMENIAN.Net
                  22.09.2006 15:39 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has
                  welcomed the acquittal of renowned Turkish novelist Elif Shafak in the
                  case for which she was accused of insulting Turkishness. PM Erdogan
                  told reporters on Thursday that he was happy that Shafak was acquitted
                  in the controversial case. Recalling that he phoned Shafak yesterday to
                  congratulate her on the birth of her baby daughter, Erdogan stated that
                  he exchanged his views with her on the case. Erdogan also signaled an
                  amendment on the much debated Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code,
                  under which many well-known Turkish writers and authors had been
                  tried or sued. In response to a question on whether the government
                  thought of an amendment on the controversial article, Erdogan pointed
                  out that it would be possible provided that the ruling and opposition
                  parties reach an agreement, reported Zaman.

Comment

• Historian takes Article 301 to ECHR to protest threat to academic research

Date: 12 July 2007
                    Source: IPS Communication Foundation (BIANET)

Target(s): academic(s)
                    Type(s) of violation(s): legal action , harassed
                    Urgency: Bulletin

(BIANET/IFEX) - Taner Akcam, a professor of history at Minnesota University, in the United States, who had been investigated for his claims of an Armenian genocide, has decided to take Article 301, which has put around 100 academics, journalists and writers on trial, to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to protest against the law's threat to academic research.

Akcam argues that the investigations Turkey launches into academic research, using Article 301, are contrary to the European Convention of Human Rights ( http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en...s/Html/005.htm ), endorsed by Turkey.

Article 301 contravenes, in particular, articles 7, 10 and 14 of the Convention because it limits freedom of expression.

Facing history is not a crime but a necessity, Akcam says.

"My goal is to see Turkey become a totally free and democratic country. However, as long as academic discussions are considered criminal in Turkey, this is not possible. Facing history and human rights violations of the past cannot be a crime. Rather, they are a precondition for peace and regional rapprochement," he said.

Akcam sees his role as facilitating this process.

Akcam's lawyer for the ECHR application is International Law Professor Dr. Payam Akhavan of McGill University (Montreal, Canada, who was an advisor on the international crime courts formed to deal with the war crimes of Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia.

According to Dr. Akhavan, "Freedom of speech should only be limited in cases of expressions of hate, not in discourses against hate."

Akcam himself almost fell victim to the notorious law. After a complaint to a chief public prosecutor's office in Eyüp, Istanbul, by a person named Recep Akkus, an investigation against Akcam was instigated by the Sisli chief public prosecutor's office (also in Istanbul). This investigation was dismissed in March 2007.

Public prosecutor Muhittin Ayata of the Sisli office had evaluated an article entitled "Hrant Dink, 301 and a Criminal Complaint", which was published in the weekly "Agos" newspaper on 6 October 2006. In the article, Akcam had written, "I believe that what happened between 1915 and 1917 was a genocide." No suit was brought against Akcam.

In the dismissal of proceedings, the court said that "the suspect is a history professor who, in all his articles and conference papers, has expressed the idea that the events of 1915-1919 can be defined as a genocide. When the article which is subject of a complaint is considered as a whole, it becomes clear that there are no attempts to degrade Turkishness, that the text remains within the framework of freedom of thought as defined by Article 10 of the European Convention of Human Rights, that there is no incitement to crime, no praise of crimes or criminals, and no incitement to hatred and hostility".
                    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

• Date: 13 July 2007
                      Source: IPS Communication Foundation (BIANET)
                      Person(s): Sirri Ozturk, Osman Tiftikci
                      Target(s): publisher(s)
                      Type(s) of violation(s): legal action
                      Urgency: Threat

(BIANET/IFEX) - The 4 July 2007 hearing in the trial of Sirri Ozturk, publisher of Sorun Publishers, and author Osman Tiftikci, author of the book "The evolution of the army from Ottoman Times Until Today", was postponed.

The trial under Article 301, which was brought to court by the General Staff, will continue on 3 October. An arrest warrant was issued for Tiftikci in order to bring him to court.

MORE INFORMATION:

For further information contact Nadire Mater at BIANET, Faikpasa Yokusu, No. 41, Antikhane, Kat: 3, D.8-9, Cukurcuma, Beyoglu, Istanbul, Turkey, tel: +90 212 251 1503, fax: +90 212 251 1609, e-mail: [email protected], Internet: http://www.bianet.org

**Updates IFEX alert of 28 June 2007**
                      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Working...
                      X