Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

"insulting Turkish identity"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdgarTarkanian View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the French or British or Russians allowed the Ottomans to get away with denying the genocide? I'm not familiar with Sevres Treaty, why did they not approve of it, why did they just accept Lausanne?

Another question is, in the 70 years of Soviet rule, what have the Soviets really done for us?
    um, sorry edgar, but why are you linking to a sugarcoated Armenian genocide denial website in your signature??

I had to laugh when I read one or two of their articles (the critically acclaimed documentary "Armenian Revolt" ) and especially their "about" page.

Comment

• Originally posted by chinchilla View Post
      um, sorry edgar, but why are you linking to a sugarcoated Armenian genocide denial website in your signature??

I had to laugh when I read one or two of their articles (the critically acclaimed documentary "Armenian Revolt" ) and especially their "about" page.
      I'm quite sure he is a Turk masquerading as an Armenian judging by the site he had attached and the comment he has made.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        I can feel a variation on the Monty Python's Life of Brian "What have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch coming on.
        He's actually a Turk. I've seen him or her on other forums pushing the same denialist/racist website.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• ANKARA - Compulsory Justice Ministry approval for Article 301 investigations to proceed is a positive step that allows most investigations never to see the...

Some of the 301 trials justified: minister

ANKARA - Compulsory Justice Ministry approval for Article 301 investigations to proceed is a positive step that allows most investigations never to see the light of day, says Justice Minister Mehmet Ali Şahin, but notes that his ministry’s consent for charges against a writer, Temel Demirer, are right because Demirer called the country a killer

Justice Minister Mehmet Ali Şahin defended his decision to consent to prosecution of author Temel Demirer under the Turkish Penal Code’s controversial Article 301, which criminalizes insulting "’Turkishness,’ the government and state institutions."

"Demirer claimed Turkey is a killer country. It killed Armenians and now will kill Kurds. I won’t let anyone call my country killer," Şahin said in an interview with the daily Sabah.

Article 301 has been a major point of criticism from the EU, which Turkey wants to join. The article allows the prosecution of individuals who are perceived to have insulted Turkishness, state institutions and the top state officials and is seen by activists and EU officials as a major impediment to freedom of speech.

Turkey’s Nobel Laureate Orhan Pamuk was among those prosecuted by the article. The court stopped the trial after the Justice Ministry failed to give consent.

Journalist Hrant Dink was prosecuted and found guilty in another 301 case, receiving a suspended sentence. Dink was later murdered by a teenage nationalist who told the police he had shot the journalist for insulting the country.

Justice Ministry approval needed for trial
          Turkey faced a barrage of criticism due to the trials, with the government eventually changing the penal code to allow 301 investigations to proceed only with approval from the Justice Ministry. The authority to commence trials concerning Article 301-related cases was given to the Justice Ministry under an amendment made to the Turkish Penal Code in April 2008.

Some 381 Article 301-related cases have reached the ministry within the last six months. The ministry examined 263 of them and didn’t require a court investigation for 216 of them. The ministry approved only 47 cases for court hearings, according to Şahin.

Demirer was among those whom Şahin gave consent for the prosecution. Demirer was charged with insulting the Turkish nation under Article 301 for his words right after the Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink was killed in January 2007. He participated in the protests in Ankara after Dink’s assassination and said the government failed to prevent Dink from being killed.

"There is genocide in our history and its name is the Armenian genocide. Hrant showed this fact with his own life. I commit a crime and invite all to do the same. Those who don’t commit crime against this killer government will share the guilt of Dink’s killers. We should commit a crime in order to prevent what happened to those Armenians in the past not to happen to Kurds today," he said.

The court requested a jail sentence of five years for Demirer.

Şahin said what Demirer said went unnoticed but when the ministry gave permit for the prosecution everybody felt sorry for him.

"This is not a freedom of expression. It exactly falls a crime of insulting Turkish nation under the Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code," he said. Şahin also said if the ministry permit wasn’t required in line with the new amendment, the 381 cases concerning the article would be on trial. He said those who defended the old version of Article 301 shouldn’t ignore this fa

Comment

Working...
          X