Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

From Hovik's Inbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution For The New Decade

Dear friends and colleagues,

As 2005 draws to an end, I want to wish you all a new year that would be better for you than all the preceding ones. 2005 was a very important year for me because of the way it enabled our virtual community to grow and envelop us, and because of the actualization of the Istanbul conference on the Armenians in Turkey.

And it is in that spirit I want to share with you my resolution not for the New Year, but instead for the New Decade that has already started with the Istanbul Conference and will end in 2015. Before I do so, however, I need to tell you a Nasreddin Hoca story. One day the sultan was on the road with his retinue in full grandeur when he ran into the Hoca walking alone by the side of the road in the opposite direction. ‘Greetings, Hoca’ he called over, ‘what is your destination?’ ‘I am going to Mecca to become a haci,’ the Hoca replied. ‘But Mecca is so far away from here, you’ll never make it by walking,’ the sultan protested. The Hoca replied: ‘It does not matter if I make it or not, I’m on the right road, aren’t I?’

I realized when I read this Hoca story that the reason I have been claiming that Turkey will recognize 1915 by 2015 is based not only on my scholarly sociological insight, but also on the significance of setting a target to strive toward on an issue you care about. Even if the recognition does not come by that set target, I would know that I personally tried my best and I really believe it will eventually come because truth always prevails -- even if it does not, what makes and keeps us human is the belief that it does. So I am sure you have guessed by now that my resolution for the next decade is to get Turkey to recognize what happened in 1915 by 2015…

It is the academic scholarship of all of us that would pave the road to that recognition in 2015 and I know we will continue on that road, joined increasingly by brilliant young minds who are now our students but will soon be our colleagues. In addition to academic scholarship as well as journalism so crucial in interpreting and disseminating that produced knowledge, there is also art and literature the strength and impact of which needs to be appreciated more. It is in that spirit that I wanted to share with those of you who are artistically gifted or know people who are if you would be willing to help me launch an art project [1915/2015]:

[1915/2015]: An art project that creates the meaning of 1915 not only back then but all the way until now, and also into the future to 2015 through symbols alone, through art alone. No words and no numbers except 1915 and 2015. But everything the years 1915 and 2015, as well as the years in between bring to one’s mind’s eye… Such an art project can eventually lead to traveling art exhibits; students can get together print t-shirts and use the raised money to fund Turkish-Armenian student dialogue groups.

Having shamelessly taken up your time to share my decade resolution with you, I now end by thanking you once again for being there, for being a part of a virtual community comprising of those who seek knowledge and a fair world where that knowledge can be justly shared.

Muge

Associate Professor Fatma Muge Gocek
    University of Michigan
    Sociology Department
    1225 S. University Avenue
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: (734) 647-4228
    Fax: (734) 763-6887

Comment

January 30, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-newsletter from Armenian Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mt. Scopus, Israel
      Prof. Michael Stone and Dr. Sergio LaPorta

HEBREW U. WELCOMES FIRST ‘FULBRIGHT DISTINGUISHED CHAIR IN THE HUMANITIES’

PROFESSOR ABRAHAM TERIAN, PROFESSOR OF ARMENIAN PATRISTICS, ARRIVES FOR THE SPRING TERM

Hebrew University announced last week that PROFESSOR ABRAHAM TERIAN is arriving in Israel to take up his position as the first Fulbright Distinguished Chair in the Humanities. He will serve as a visiting professor for the spring semester, which starts on February 5.

“Dr. Terian’s appointment, the fist of its kind, not only honors him, but also demonstrates the high esteem in which the Armenian Studies Program is held,” said PROFESSOR MICHAEL E. STONE, Director of the University’s Armenian Studies Program. Stone added that Dr. Terian grew up in the Armenian compound of St. James in Jerusalem, and “we are delighted to welcome him back to his native city.”

Dr. Terian is Professor of Armenian Patristics and Academic Dean at St. Nersess Armenian Seminary in New Rochelle, New York. He is also editor of St. Nersess Theological Review. Dr. Terian holds a Bachelor’s degree in history and biblical languages, and a Master’s in archaeology and antiquity. His Doctorate in Theology, completed at the University of Basel, Switzerland, focused on Early Christianity and its Jewish and Hellenistic foundations.

Before coming to St. Nersess in 1997, he was Professor of Intertestamental and Early Christian Literatures at Andrews University, and Visiting Professor for both Classical Armenian and Hellenistic Judaism at the University of Chicago. Dr. Terian’s latest book, Patriotism and Piety in Armenian Christianity, is part of the St. Nersess’ AVANT Series, published by St. Vladimir’s Press (2005). His publications also include three books about the first-century Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria, a portion of whose works survives solely in Armenian translation. Additionally, his articles appear in historical, philological and literary periodicals and monographs.

Dr. Terian served as Secretary of the Society for Armenian Studies in 1993, was President of the Society of Biblical Literature's Midwest Region from 1990-92, and has been on the editorial board of Studia Philonica Annual since its creation in 1989.

RUDIN GRANT RENEWED FOR SPRING SEMESTER

With the aim of further strengthening the relationship between the Armenian Patriarchate and the Hebrew University, the May and Samuel Rudin Family Foundation, Inc. has renewed its grant for the current academic year. This grant offers aid to Armenian priests of the Brotherhood of St. James, Jerusalem, who study at the Hebrew University.

Four priests are currently studying under its provisions, all at different stages of their academic training. Fr. Pakrad Bourjekian, the most advanced of the group, will complete his Master’s thesis on a Homily of St. Gregory Martyrophile (S. Grigor Vkayaser) by the summer. The other three, Fr. Goriune Baghdassarian, Fr. Norayr Kazazian and Fr. Isahak Minassian, are working towards their Bachelor’s degrees.

This electronic newsletter is sent to you by the Armenian Studies Department of the Hebrew University. If you do not wish to receive future issues send an e-mail message with your name and your full e-mail address to [email protected].

If you have family or friends who would like to receive our electronic newsletters please send their names and e-mail addresses to [email protected].

Contact us at: Armenian Studies Program, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mt. Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel, or visit our web site at http://micro5.mscc.huji.ac.il/~armenia/

Comment

Deployment of Troops in Lebanon: Turkey and Armenian

In less than a few hours the Parliament of the Republic of Turkey will sit to debate the motion presented by the government in relation to deployment of Turkish troops in Lebanon. There is palpable anxiety. Yea or nay will probably depend on whether the mandate will include disarming Hezbollah and monitoring the border with Syria?

Some point out that USA may be in the area for some decades, but the neighbours are there for good, and this does not bode well for Turkey if it is viewed as implementing the known or perceived wishes of USA and Israel. Ultimately it’s up to the Turkish authorities to decide what course of action to take having the long term interests of the country in mind.

It’s not without cause that Armenian communities from all over the world have voiced their opposition to deployment of Turkish forces. It’s no secret that the present regime in Turkey has carried very aggressive, sometimes vicious campaigns against Armenians through court challenges, falsified dissemination of information, and obstruction of recognition of the Genocide, not to mention the blockade. Precisely based on this experience it’s not unnatural to question what Turkey could overtly or covertly do against Armenians once troops are stationed in Lebanon. Through means of bribery and capitalizing on economic interests of some Lebanese officials who have interests in Turkey, to suspect a blind eye to what Turkey could and would do is not far fetched. Some argue that they will be under the command of UN peacekeeping authorities and therefore their actions will be controlled. The point is well taken, but is it not wise to be safe than sorry? What guarantees are there that Turkey’s presence will not erode an already fragile Armenian Community by accelerating the exodus?

In this context one is tempted to think about the possibility of deployment of Armenian units. Many a friend has pondered about it. There is no straighforward answer. Armenia and Armenians lending a hand of help to Lebanon is a moral duty above all. Lebanon is unique in our Diaspora history, and the presence of Armenian troops could benefit both the Lebanese and the Armenians. It would reinforce our mutual respect, and give a sense of security to Armenians in Lebanon.

Unfortunately Armenia’s geopolitical concerns, already existing military obligations and socioeconomic situation are serious matters if the conflict engulfs the area as a whole; not to mention the fact that in some circles Armenia is still being considered an aggressor, and unlawfully occupying lands of another country. Azerbaijan is in an extremely cozy relation with Israel. This is a different ball game compared to Kosovo and Iraq. “To be or not to be” is again being asked by all of us.

Interestingly the very same questions that the Turkish deputies will tackle are almost identical to what probably we should ask. Will the mission include disarming or helping the Lebanese army disarm Hezbollah? Will it include monitoring the border between Lebanon and Syria? Under those circumstances the presence of Armenian troops could backfire.

Hopefully we’ll get some clarifications in the coming days for the second round of this discussion on the net.

Dikran Abrahamian BA, MD

Comment

Working...
        X