Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

International Genocide Recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great resolution. Basque people are cool...and potentially Armenian...

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
      What a great resolution. Basque people are cool...and potentially Armenian...
      The Basque people really are cool. They have a large and active diaspora in Argentina. They have many similarities to Armenians. I'll expnad upon this later.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I have some really good Basque friends here in the states - it always amazes me how much like us that they are - not just in looks (but that certainly) - but culturally - in the way that their families mean so much to tthem and in the familial relationships. Anyway - not sure how familiar you all are with the theories aboutr Basque and Armenians (and not sure how much you know about Armenians who emigrated to Southern France in years past) but anyway - from my experience I know that there is something to it - language issues aside...anyway Basque are cool..at least we can agree on that eh?

Comment

There are many similarities between Armenians, Basques and Welsh. Not just in looks and characteristics but quite a few words and certainly the grammatical mutations of verbs and nouns.

Yeah, Basques are cool.

Comment

Jewish World Watch To Give First Annual ‘I Witness Award’

LOS ANGELES--Jewish World Watch has announced that the recipients of its first “I Witness” Award will be two Armenians scholars who have dedicated their professional lives to chronicling the history of the Armenian people and commemorating victims of the Armenian Genocide. The recipients are filmmaker Dr. J. Michael Hagopian, Ph.D., and historian, Dr. Richard G. Hovannisian, Professor, Armenian and Near Eastern History, UCLA, both widely considered among the foremost authorities on the Armenian Genocide. The event will take place on May 15 at Adat Ari El Synagogue.

“Humanity is subject to genocide and amnesia is dangerous,” said Rabbi Harold M. Schulweis, Founder, Jewish World Watch. “If you forget or deny the first genocide of the 20th Century, you waste the experience of the past. Our experience with the Jewish Holocaust makes it a matter of conscience for the Jewish people to respond and recognize the grief and anguish of others. It is incumbent upon us to stand up and recognize the Armenian Genocide of 1915.”

The “I Witness Award” is the third Jewish World Watch event to commemorate the Armenian holocaust. The goal of the events has been to bring the two communities together in recognition of their mutual experience of genocide and in doing so have the Jewish community acknowledge and commemorate the heretofore unacknowledged genocide of the Armenian people in 1915.

The “I Witness Award” was begun to honor representatives from communities that have been victims of genocides in the 20th Century and who, as individuals, have played a role in educating the world about the genocide.

Janice Kamenir-Reznik, Co-Founder, Jewish World Watch explained why Dr. Hagopian and Dr. Hovannisian were chosen to be the first recipients of the award. “We as a community know only too well the consequence of silence in the face of genocide. We have chosen to honor Dr. Hagopian and Dr. Hovannisian because both men have dedicated their lives to keeping alive the memory of those who have suffered unspeakable horrors and in doing so are attempting to keep the world from forgetting and repeating. It is the hope of Jewish World Watch that by honoring those individuals, we can bring the world closer to the day that there will be no more genocide.”

Dr. Hovannisian, who has written extensively on Armenian history and the Armenian genocide, thanked Jewish World Watch, “A significant part of my career has focused on understanding and teaching about the scourge of genocide, from the Armenian Genocide as prototype in the twentieth century to the unceasing violence that has marked the onset of the twenty-first century. It is not for praise or reward that we commit ourselves to this onerous issue, yet it is gratifying when our efforts are noticed and commended. I am most honored to be a recipient of the first "I Witness Award" of the Jewish World Watch.”

Dr. Hagopian has made seven documentary films on the Armenian Genocide. His last two are part of a trilogy called Witnesses. Voices from the Lake, the first film in the trilogy, tells of the tragedy that befell the Armenian citizens of Kharpert at the hands of the Turks in 1915. Germany and the Secret Genocide, the second film in the trilogy, takes place against the backdrop of World War I when German diplomats and soldiers help to cover up and deny the massacre of Armenians in exchange for Turkey's support in the war. Caravans Along the Euphrates, the third and final film, is in production. Dr. Hagopian is also the founder of the Armenian Film Foundation, whose goal is to document the Armenian history and culture and instill pride in Armenian youth worldwide.

“Jewish World Watch is pioneering a monumental movement to combat all perpetrators of crimes against humanity. This is a courageous act of leadership in a world in need of a moral compass,” said Dr. Hagopian. “Sons and daughters of Hebrew prophets and descendants of Armenian patriarchs can now join forces to affirm that the Armenians were victims of the first genocide of the 20th Century in the Turkish Ottoman Empire and that civilization demands that the Republic of Turkey accept responsibility. With these goals in mind and with a deep sense of humility, I accept the honor accorded to me by the Jewish World Watch.”

Western Prelate Archbishop Moushegh Mardirossian who will be present at the award, commented on the importance of such events, "Awareness is the key to ending the cycle of genocide and denial that continues to this day. It is imperative that we continue to educate the public about the atrocities of the first Genocide of the 20th century perpetrated against the Armenian nation. Through such events, we can persevere in our quest for justice."

Also participating at the award ceremony will be members of the Los Angeles Jewish Symphony and the Yuval Ron Ensemble who will play chamber music together in a melting of the Jewish and Armenian cultures. Both groups contain members of the Jewish and Armenian communities.

Noreen Green, conductor, Los Angeles Jewish Symphony, commented on the goal of the musical accompaniment, “The purpose for the event is to bring the two cultures together and reach out to one another. The music is an extension of that philosophy. Now we continue that exploration and reaching out through an exploration of our music.”

Jewish World Watch is a coalition of over 54 synagogues working together to mobilize synagogues, their schools, members and the community to combat genocide and other egregious violations of human rights around the world. In response to the 400,000 civilians that have been murdered and the nearly 2.5 million people who have been displaced in the Sudan, Jewish World Watch chose Darfur as its first advocacy campaign. Since its inception, these synagogues have actively mobilized to stop the genocide in Darfur and have allocated more than $600,000 in direct assistance to the people in Darfur.

“While the focus of our work currently is on the genocide taking place in Darfur, Sudan, we believe that it is incumbent upon us to acknowledge and commemorate past genocides, in particular, the Armenian Genocide, which has been denied for almost a century,” said Tzivia Schwartz-Getzug, Executive Director, Jewish World Watch. “We cannot criticize those who are committing genocide today, without acknowledging and commemorating the unacknowledged genocide of the Armenian community in 1915.

ASBAREZ, 5/12/2007
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Krasnodar City Duma called on all civilized nations to condemn Armenian Genocide
              25.05.2007 18:26 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ In March of 2007 Armenian newspaper of Russia “Yerkramas” and Pashkov society of Krasnodar organized collection of signatures among representatives of the Armenian community for turning to lawmakers of the City Duma. Krasnodar voters call on their elected representatives appear with statement condemning the Armenian Genocide in Turkey between 1915-1922. Armenian “Yerkramas” of Russia reports that totally 2000 signatures were gathered.

Just the other day the community received the statement of the City Duma undersigned by Speaker Nikolai Kotlyarov, which reads as follows, “Deputies of Krasnodar Duma express their deep sympathy to sister Armenian nation and condemn the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by Ottoman Turkey between 1915-1922, which is one of the grave crimes against humanity. Principles of humanism and tribute of respect to innocent victims demand condemnation of the Armenian Genocide. Only corresponding moral evaluation given by the Supreme Legislative body of the state and adoption of a standard legal act that condemns the Genocide, can become a base for prevailing the historical truth towards the Armenian nation. It will serve as an example for strengthening the real trust and mutual understanding between people of Armenia and the Russian Federation in generally.

As it is known, the State Duma of the Russian Federation adopted two resolutions, which condemn annihilation of the Armenian nation between 1915-1922 and recognizes April 24 as Remembrance Day for Genocide victims.

We express hope that the above mentioned issue concerning restoration of the historical truth towards long-suffering Armenian nation, will find understanding by all civilized countries through adopting corresponding acts”.

Editor-in-chief of “Yerkramas” Armenian newspaper Tigran Tavadyan informed, the statement of the City Duma has great moral importance for Armenians of Krasnodar, the collective voice of which was heard by parliamentarians of capital of Kuban. It is worth of special mentioning that Krasnodar like the whole Krasnodar Territory has occurred under the rapt attention of Turkey, which invests rather huge financial means in regional projects, and that’s why the noble move of Krasnodar deputies must be appreciated properly by the Armenian community.

Comment

Chile recognizes the AG

Ankara “condemned” resolution of Chilean Senate, which recognizes Armenian Genocide

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Expressing regret over the passage of a resolution by the Chilean Senate recognizing the Armenian Genocide, Turkey emphasized that the resolution’s text is full of incorrect information. “As is known, in his April 30 speech UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stated that the UN does not have official position regarding the 1915 incidents. We condemn and reject the resolution of the Chilean Senate, which serves to distort history for political purposes. We consider the Chilean Senate’s resolution to be an attitude casting a shadow over friendly relations between the two countries,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a written statement released on Friday, Zaman newspaper reports.

On June 5 the Chilean Senate unanimously adopted a resolution, which condemns the Armenian Genocide of 1915 perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire and called governments of all countries in the world to join the 1985 document by the UN Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities.
                ! Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to «PanARMENIAN.Net».

Comment

Working...
                X