Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Found this from and Armenian Muslim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AzatHayrenik
    I personally know 2 Hamshen families from turkey. They have converted to Christianity and always go to the Armenian Church. I also know 1 Hamshen family from Abkhazia but they were already Christians.

I'm going to pick up Simonian's book when it comes out. Seems like the Krasnodar Hamshens and Abkhazia Hamshens are already Christian. The Turkish Hamshen are entirely Muslim
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

th FESTIVAL OF CULTURE OF ARMENIANS OF HAMSHEN TO BE HELD IN KUBAN

Noyan Tapan
      Armenians Today
      Mar 06 2006

KRASNODAR, MARCH 6, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. The 7th traditional
      festival of culture of Armenians of Hamshen "Sound the Hamshen Zurna"
      (a kind of clarinet) will be held in Kuban. In the current year the
      event will be held on March 19, in the village of Shahumian, Tuapse
      region, Krasnodar territory, that was the center of the Armenian
      Administrative region included in the Krasnodar territory until the
      August of 1953. As the newspaper of the Armenians in Russia "Yerkramas"
      (territory) informs, Armenian creative groups and performers from
      different regions of the Krasnodar territory and the Republic
      of Armenia will take part in the festival. The organizers of the
      festival are the Lazarev Center of National Cultures, the Department
      of Culture of the Lazarev region of the city of Sochi, and the rural
      administration of the Shahumian village. The Armenians of Hamshen make
      the majority of the Armenian population on the coast of the Krasnodar
      territory and also in a number of regions of Kuban and Adigei. There
      are emigrants from the region of Hamshen in the Western Armenia
      (formerly in the territory of Turkey), who migrated to Kuban in middle
      of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century after the
      Armenian Genocide in Turkey. According to the data of the experts,
      nearly 250 thousand Armenians of Hamshen compactly live in Kuban,
      Adigei and Abkhazia, and according to the data of different sources,
      from 700 thousand to half million Islamized Armenians of Hamshen live
      in the territory of Turkey within the limits of traditional living.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

CD with Songs Having Lyrics in Hamshen Dialect of Armenian Language Released in Krasn

CD with Songs Having Lyrics in Hamshen Dialect of Armenian Language Released in Krasnodar

11.03.2006 22:14 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ First Hamshenian CD, which was released in the Krasnodar Territory, has collected together most popular musical compositions, performed in the Hamshen dialect of the Armenian language, reported the Yerkramas, the newspaper of Armenians of Russia. Compositions are performed by Caravan band with organizational support of Armenian Hamshen Scientific, Information and Cultural Center and material assistance of local philanthropists.

In 2006 Hamshen Scientific, Information and Cultural Center plans urgent research of the regions, where Hamshen Armenians live, working out the structure of Hamshen Encyclopedia, publishing scientific bulletins on issues of Hamshen Armenians, forming a web-site of the organization, forming ideas and script for a documentary, issuing Hamshen library book series, creation of Hamshen folklore theater, organization of all-Hamshen cultural festival, etc. According to experts, up to 250 thousand Hamshen Armenians compactly live in Kuban, Adygeya and Abkhazia. They come from Hamshen region of Western Armenia (now territory of Turkey). They moved to Kuban in the middle of the XIX century and early XX century after the Armenian Genocide in Turkey. They speak a special – Hamshen –dialect of the Armenian language.

Comment

Armenians By Choice

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Immigrants from Turkey Rediscover their Heritage

David Zenian

Life is full of defining moments, and for Haig Aramian and Vrej Keusseian, the choice is between maintaining their national identity or letting the "good life" overwhelm their heritage. "In Sweden, like everywhere else in Europe these days, it is easy not to live as an Armenian," Aramian explained. "I have asked myself why do I want to be an Armenian. Because in my case, I was not even raised as one." Freedom of choice often drives people to assimilate, but not for emigrŽs Haig Aramian or Vrej Keusseian, who were both born deep inside Turkey and had little or no contact with other Armenians well into their early adult lives.

Aramian was born in the predominantly Kurdish city of Adana in southeastern Turkey. He was called Suleiman Farouk. As far as he knew, there were no Armenians in Adana, but his grandmother repeatedly reminded him as a child that "you are stubborn...you have Armenian blood in your veins." "For a long time I did not know what that meant, but my grandmother never stopped reminding me of our roots."

It took many years for Aramian to understand what she meant, to learn of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, and how thousands of Armenian families lost their identities when they were assimilated into the Turkish and local Kurdish societies. "Countless thousands of others also disappeared and became Kurds," Aramian said. In western Europe today, many so-called Kurdish Armenians live in France, Holland and Belgium, re-discovering their heritage and religion.

Aramian's first contact with Armenians was in Syria after leaving Adana in search of a better life. "I was curious about my grandmother's repeated remarks. A Kurdish friend once told me there were Armenians in Marash. I went there in 1978 but did not find anyone. I kept looking until I found an Armenian church in Damascus in 1983 and approached the parish priest. We had a long talk, in Turkish of course, and the more I listened about the fate of Genocide survivors who stayed behind in Turkey and especially in Anatolia, the more I understood how my family was one of those lost Armenians.

"Deep inside I always felt I was different. I could have remained a Kurd, but I decided otherwise. You might call me a true Armenian by choice," he said. Over the next two years before emigrating to Sweden in 1985, he was baptized in the Armenian church in Damascus, changed his name from Suleiman Farouk to Haig Aramian and began the journey to a new future as a Swedish Armenian.

He married in Stockholm to an Armenian immigrant from Diarbekir, named his children Massis, who is nine years old now, and Ani, who is seven, and submerged himself into the Armenian life of Stockholm. First it was the language, then the culture and traditions, followed by a deeper understanding of the Christian faith. But even that was not enough. "I had missed out on so much, I wanted my children to grow up knowing who they were," Aramian said during a recent interview. "My children now speak better Armenian than I do."

Twice in the past three years, Haig Aramian has taken his son to Armenia, but not just to see the sights. On his first two month visit, Haig took his son to a summer camp in Dzaghgadzor, and then to Karabakh. I did all this on my own. I had no friends there but I had to show my son what Armenia was all about.

"I wanted him to be proud of his Armenian heritage along with his Swedish homeland. I owe this much to my late grandmother," he said in broken Armenian, often mixed with a few words of Swedish and a lot more of Turkish, the stronger of his several languages.

Aramian, who is a cook at a Swedish catering company, is very involved with community life and in his spare time collects Armenian artifacts like rugs, old coins and rare books. His one bedroom apartment is decorated with items he has brought back from Armenia.

"Next time you visit Sweden, I will be fluent in Armenian," he said. "My father and mother still live in Adana and they know what I have done and they agree with me. My brother, who moved to Sweden a few years ago, has also changed his old name and he is now Aram," he said.

Like Haig Aramian, Vrej Keusseian is also busy making up for time lost. Keusseian, who is 46 years old and has lived in Sweden for the past 23 years, saw the Armenian alphabet for the first time in his life in 1974 at a public library in Germany.

"I was born in a small predominantly Assyrian village near Merdin in Turkey. We knew we were ethnic Armenians, but unfortunately, we were not accepted by the Armenian community in Istanbul. The several people my father tried to talk to were always suspicious of our real heritage," Vrej said during a family gathering at his apartment in VŠsteras, a small town 12 miles east of Stockholm. His good grades in high school qualified him for a scholarship in Germany, but after a few years, he moved to Sweden as a "refugee" because returning to Turkey would have meant serving in the army. "I arrived in 1977, and believe me, the first Armenian I met in Sweden was not until 1987," he said.

Keusseian, who is now an elementary school Turkish and Kurdish language teacher and interpreter, has turned his life around, coming a long way since seeing the Armenian alphabet for the first time in Germany. He has taught himself the Armenian language, and in his spare time teaches the children of new Armenian immigrants and leads the Ararat Armenian Cultural Association in VŠsteras.
          "All truth passes through three stages:
          First, it is ridiculed;
          Second, it is violently opposed; and
          Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur
            http://www.geocities.com/cryptoarmenians/Abc.html
            Immigrants from Turkey Rediscover their Heritage

David Zenian

Life is full of defining moments, and for Haig Aramian and Vrej Keusseian, the choice is between maintaining their national identity or letting the "good life" overwhelm their heritage. "In Sweden, like everywhere else in Europe these days, it is easy not to live as an Armenian," Aramian explained. "I have asked myself why do I want to be an Armenian. Because in my case, I was not even raised as one." Freedom of choice often drives people to assimilate, but not for emigrZ<caron>s Haig Aramian or Vrej Keusseian, who were both born deep inside Turkey and had little or no contact with other Armenians well into their early adult lives.

Aramian was born in the predominantly Kurdish city of Adana in southeastern Turkey. He was called Suleiman Farouk. As far as he knew, there were no Armenians in Adana, but his grandmother repeatedly reminded him as a child that "you are stubborn...you have Armenian blood in your veins." "For a long time I did not know what that meant, but my grandmother never stopped reminding me of our roots."

It took many years for Aramian to understand what she meant, to learn of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, and how thousands of Armenian families lost their identities when they were assimilated into the Turkish and local Kurdish societies. "Countless thousands of others also disappeared and became Kurds," Aramian said. In western Europe today, many so-called Kurdish Armenians live in France, Holland and Belgium, re-discovering their heritage and religion.

Aramian's first contact with Armenians was in Syria after leaving Adana in search of a better life. "I was curious about my grandmother's repeated remarks. A Kurdish friend once told me there were Armenians in Marash. I went there in 1978 but did not find anyone. I kept looking until I found an Armenian church in Damascus in 1983 and approached the parish priest. We had a long talk, in Turkish of course, and the more I listened about the fate of Genocide survivors who stayed behind in Turkey and especially in Anatolia, the more I understood how my family was one of those lost Armenians.

"Deep inside I always felt I was different. I could have remained a Kurd, but I decided otherwise. You might call me a true Armenian by choice," he said. Over the next two years before emigrating to Sweden in 1985, he was baptized in the Armenian church in Damascus, changed his name from Suleiman Farouk to Haig Aramian and began the journey to a new future as a Swedish Armenian.

He married in Stockholm to an Armenian immigrant from Diarbekir, named his children Massis, who is nine years old now, and Ani, who is seven, and submerged himself into the Armenian life of Stockholm. First it was the language, then the culture and traditions, followed by a deeper understanding of the Christian faith. But even that was not enough. "I had missed out on so much, I wanted my children to grow up knowing who they were," Aramian said during a recent interview. "My children now speak better Armenian than I do."

Twice in the past three years, Haig Aramian has taken his son to Armenia, but not just to see the sights. On his first two month visit, Haig took his son to a summer camp in Dzaghgadzor, and then to Karabakh. I did all this on my own. I had no friends there but I had to show my son what Armenia was all about.

"I wanted him to be proud of his Armenian heritage along with his Swedish homeland. I owe this much to my late grandmother," he said in broken Armenian, often mixed with a few words of Swedish and a lot more of Turkish, the stronger of his several languages.

Aramian, who is a cook at a Swedish catering company, is very involved with community life and in his spare time collects Armenian artifacts like rugs, old coins and rare books. His one bedroom apartment is decorated with items he has brought back from Armenia.

"Next time you visit Sweden, I will be fluent in Armenian," he said. "My father and mother still live in Adana and they know what I have done and they agree with me. My brother, who moved to Sweden a few years ago, has also changed his old name and he is now Aram," he said.

Like Haig Aramian, Vrej Keusseian is also busy making up for time lost. Keusseian, who is 46 years old and has lived in Sweden for the past 23 years, saw the Armenian alphabet for the first time in his life in 1974 at a public library in Germany.

"I was born in a small predominantly Assyrian village near Merdin in Turkey. We knew we were ethnic Armenians, but unfortunately, we were not accepted by the Armenian community in Istanbul. The several people my father tried to talk to were always suspicious of our real heritage," Vrej said during a family gathering at his apartment in VS<caron>steras, a small town 12 miles east of Stockholm. His good grades in high school qualified him for a scholarship in Germany, but after a few years, he moved to Sweden as a "refugee" because returning to Turkey would have meant serving in the army. "I arrived in 1977, and believe me, the first Armenian I met in Sweden was not until 1987," he said.

Keusseian, who is now an elementary school Turkish and Kurdish language teacher and interpreter, has turned his life around, coming a long way since seeing the Armenian alphabet for the first time in Germany. He has taught himself the Armenian language, and in his spare time teaches the children of new Armenian immigrants and leads the Ararat Armenian Cultural Association in VS<caron>steras.

Excellent. I hope more Armenians discover their roots and have the courage to seperate themselves from the Kurds and begin new lives. In Syria, close to the Turkish border some of the Bedouin tribesen have Armenian blood. I know it won't happen but it would be nice if someday they embraced their Armenian roots and became Christian again. God Willing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
              You're welcome. I hope the one day we can have some communication with the Hamshin and bring then back to our church.
              The Hemshinli are intelligent enough not to give a damn about religion, be it Islam or Christianity.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
                you know people of that area are quite funny, and I began to make fun of him, but he was really angery.
                Yes, they are notoriously easy to offend.

Do you remember some years ago a TV presenter was forced to flee abroad when he was sent death threats and his TV station was shot at, all after telling a joke about some Laz.

How did it go, something like this, yes?

Father and his teenage son make a trip to Trabzon,. While the father goes to the market the son makes a visit to one of the natashas.
                A few weeks later, he mentions it to his father.
                "What!" exclaims the father. "How could you have done such an immoral thing? You probably will have got AIDs. And you will have given it to your sister, and she will have given it to me, and I will have given it to your mother, so by now our whole village will have it! How could we have brought you up to commit such an immoral thing!"

Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Roarrr!
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                  X