Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Kurdish News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tension in Kiziltepe and Nusaybin Continues

Tension in Kiziltepe and Nusaybin Continues
    By Cihan News Agency, Anadolu News Agency (aa), Mardin, Batman, Sanliurfa
    Published: Monday, April 03, 2006
    zaman.com

Demonstrations started by the PKK (Kurdish Workers' Party) terror network in the Kiziltepe district of Mardin continue.

Siddik Onder, 22, injured in the chest during the incidents in Kiziltepe on Saturday later died in hospital, while yesterday the demonstrations expanded to include the district of Nusaybin as well.

Several police officers and about 20 demonstrators were injured in the clashes between demonstrators and police.

The district resembled a battle field with increasing violence, and many businesses, including official institutions and establishments, were torched by the demonstrators.

Ten people were taken into custody during the uproar in Nusaybin.

Demonstrators fled through the streets as teams of “Panzers Special Forces” arrived on the scene to take control of the situation.

Mardin Governor Mehmet Kiliclar noted that 17 people, including seven police officers, were killed in the incidents taking place in Kiziltepe on Saturday.

In the meantime, the Democratic Society Party (DTP) Batman Provincial Chairman Ayhan Akbulut was released on bail. While giving his assessment on the incidents that broke out after the funeral held for four terrorists in Diyarbakir, Akbulut strongly criticized Turkey.

Sanliurfa Police Chief Kutlay Celik later examined the security measures at the scene, and was surrounded by children shouting, "Long live our police!" Celik distributed footballs, candy and chocolates to local children.

Comment

PKK Proponents Set Fire to City Bus in Istanbul

PKK Proponents Set Fire to City Bus in Istanbul
      By Cihan News Agency, Istanbul
      zaman.com

Three people were killed and one was injured in a Molotov xxxxtail attack yesterday after supporters of the terror organization the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) set fire to a city bus in the Istanbul district of Esenler.

A group of 20 PKK supporters stopped a city bus on Albayrak Street in the Esenler district of Orucseyit at around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday evening as it traveled along its regular route between Beyazit and Demirkapi.

While the perpetrators of the attack fled the scene, panicked passengers on board the burning bus rushed to get off.

The breaks on the burning bus failed as it sped down a hill before crashing into a parked truck, causing it to turn over and burst into flames.

Zulbiye Karasu, 62, and two other women who could not be identified, believed to present at the time of the accident, were killed, and another woman was injured. The injured woman was taken to Samatya Hospital for treatment.

Firefighters struggled to put out the fire as the flames from the burning vehicles raged reaching several meters into the air.

Comment

2 PKK Would-be Bombers Captured

2 PKK Would-be Bombers Captured
        By Cihan News Agency
        zaman.com

Security forces in the southeastern Turkish province of Mardin have captured two Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) would-be bombers and foiled a bomb attack plot.

Mardin governor's office said in a statement that two PKK terrorists were captured in the town of Midyat.

The security forces also seized 1.5 kilograms of A4 explosives

Comment

Eyes turn to DTP

Eyes turn to DTP

The New Anatolian / Ankara

Amidst the week-long violent demonstrations that crippled Diyarbakir and neighboring cities, pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party (DTP) leader Ahmet Turk on Sunday condemned the incidents and also emphasized the need for tolerance towards democratic protests.

Speaking in a televised interview Turk said that they worked to end the violent clashes and are determined to find permanent solutions to the problems people in the southeast have been facing for decades.

"I strongly condemn the destruction of banks and attacks on business premises," he said, underlining that dissatisfaction should be demonstrated within the limits of the law. He also added that he can't approve of police officers firing on children throwing stones, urging more tolerance.

He also said that they're ready for dialogue with the government authorities to resolve the problems but added that he has yet to hear from Interior Minister Abdulkadir Aksu despite having requested a meeting with him ten times. Turk requested a meeting with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan during the interview.

He also criticized Erdogan for a comment he made related to the death of a six-year-old child during the demonstrations, accusing parents of not caring for their children. Turk said that the premier should have expressed his worry and asked whether the child is a Turkish citizen.

Turk reiterated his party's calls for state projects for economic and social improvements in the region and said Turks and Kurds should live together within the concept of a unitarian state.

He also recalled state policies of old towards the region, calling them oppressive, and said that it's impossible to reach a solution through repressive and violent means. "People in the region, who lived under emergency rule for years, think that the state regards them as 'so-called' citizens,'" said Turk, referring to a controversial comment from the General Staff last year that ignited a debate in the political arena and bothered the Kurds.

Arabaslik: DTP punishes provincial head who allegedly provoked public

Turk said his party has started disciplinary action against Murat Avci, the head of the DTP's Siirt office, for his remarks and insistence that tradesmen in the city keep their shops closed.

The DTP's Batman provincial chair was released from custody yesterday on his own recognizance.

He also backed Diyarbakir Mayor Osman Baydemir, who's facing a probe for allegedly supporting the demonstrations. "A couple of words were picked from a whole speech made by a mayor and he was charged with encouraging provocateurs," he said.

Turk also criticized the state's behavior towards DTP provincial heads, comparing it to the arrest of deputies of the now defunct pro-Kurdish Party for Democracy (DEP) in the '90s. He claimed that certain circles within the state are trying to have mayors in the region suspended.

Asked about controversial Danish-based pro-terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) Roj TV, Turk replied the channel meets a need that hasn't been filled by state TV, despite all calls. "While we don't approve of Roj-TV, it satisfies the needs of Kurdish-speaking people," he said, adding that the state's rules for broadcasts in Kurdish have been interpreted as insult to the Kurds since they only permit 15-minute broadcasts with no up-to-date news coverage.

Comment

Violence spreads to Istanbul, southeast calm

Violence spreads to Istanbul, southeast calm

Despite persistent calls for calm and common sense, clashes continued on Sunday in Istanbul with the police using tear gas to break up a group of some 200 demonstrators trying to enter a park without permission.

The week-long violent incidents in Diyarbakir spread to Istanbul after a bomb that killed one person and wounded 13 others on Friday, and altercations between demonstrators and the police continued over the weekend.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, affiliated to the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), claimed responsibility for the bomb and said the attack was a response to the recent violence in the southeast.

Also on Saturday, demonstrators and the security forces clashed in Kiziltepe in the southeastern province of Mardin, raising the death toll to eight.

A demonstration by thousands of people ended with police firing shots and using tear gas to scatter the protesters. One Kurdish demonstrator was killed during the clash.

The police also clashed with demonstrators in Silopi and Sirnak on Saturday.

The unrest in Mardin came a day after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned parents to keep their children away from the unrest and indicated that the government would maintain a tough approach.

Mardin Governor Mehmet Kiliclar confirmed one death and said 16 people, including seven police officers, were injured in the clashes. The police had detained some 30 demonstrators, he said.

On the other hand, news reports indicated that daily life in several southeastern cities has returned to normal. Shops and cafes opened their shutters and front doors after days-long clashes between demonstrators and police in city centers with street sweepers cleaning debris off the roads.

In related news, a land mine, believed to have been laid by the PKK, injured two village guards near the eastern town of Elazig.

Village guards are local residents armed and paid by the government to be the first line of defense against terrorism.

The two guards were injured while on a routine patrol but are recovering and in a stable condition, a report said.

Comment

US warns tourists to be careful in Turkey

US warns tourists to be careful in Turkey

Due to the recent unrest in Diyarbakir and the southeast part of the country, the U.S. State Department has urged its citizens visiting Turkey to exercise caution.

The travel warning advises U.S. citizens to take responsibility for their own security and cautions that escalating tension in the southeast may spread to big cities like Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir.

Violent demonstrations started on Tuesday after a funeral for terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) members killed by troops a week ago. The funeral turned into a protest and angry demonstrators began damaging buildings and cars. Clashes with police and paramilitary forces soon followed, leaving six people dead and more than 200 wounded. The demonstrations spurred the political opposition into castigating the government for not "raising a finger" to ease the tension.

The travel warning cites "continuing safety and security problems" in Turkey and says that even though big cities with a lot of tourists, such as Istanbul, Ankara and on the coast, haven't been affected by the ongoing tension, there's still the possibility of clashes spreading there.

The tension running through the southeast has already spread as far as Istanbul where a bomb exploded at a bus stop in the Kocamustafapasa district on Friday. The blast killed at least one person and wounded five more.

Comment

Kurdish mother: “My son, please do not speak our language!”

4/4/2006
                KurdishMedia.com - By Metin Kars
                When I talk to the Kurdish people in South, East and the West, they usually ask me that if I call myself a Kurd then why I don’t speak Kurdish.

Every time, they ask me this question, I go sad and remember my first days in the Turkish schools and I remember my mother and father’s advice,

“My son, please do not speak our language just speak, what they teach you!”

I once said few words of Kurdish in my second year in the primary and the punishment was beaten and removal from the education for two months. After that my family was told and the police with the civil cloths and the uniform were in our house for two years.

I have learned my lessen at the time and never spoke in Kurdish again because speaking in Kurdish not only harmed myself but made my family suffered as well.

Is the situation different in Turkey now? of course not, not at all. They may relax it little bit in Kurdish areas but if you are in the big cities (Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Adana etc,) nothing has been changed. I hope next time my Kurdish friends in south, west and east don’t ask me why I can’t speak Kurdish and have little bit understanding. Thank you!
                "All truth passes through three stages:
                First, it is ridiculed;
                Second, it is violently opposed; and
                Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

YEK- KOM: Erdogan gives licence to kill Kurdish children and women

4/4/2006
                  YEK- KOM
                  In recent days violent confrontations and clashes between Kurdish citizens and the Turkish army and authorities have erupted in several Kurdish and Turkish cities including Diyarbakir, Batman, Siirt, Mardin, Kiziltepe, Istanbul and Yüksekova. Turkish police and military have attacked Kurdish civilians using tear gas, batons, firearms and tanks. The results are terrifying and alarming: seven civilians killed, hundreds seriously injured, hundreds of people were arrested the majority of which are minors.

The names of the Kurds shot by Turkish police and military are as follows: Fatih Tekin (three years old), Enes Ata (six years), Abdullah Duru (nine years), Mehmet Akbulut (18 years), Mehmet Isikci (19 years), Tarik Atakaya (22 years) and Mustafa Eryilmaz (26 years).

Preceding these murders were the peaceful funeral and mourning processions for members of the Kurdish Peoples Defence Forces (HPG) who were killed with poison gas by the Turkish army during one of its most recent military operations in the region of Mus-Bingöl. Just days before these attacks, the Kurdish guerrilla forces announced another unilateral truce to ensure peaceful celebrations of the Kurdish New Year, Newroz.

In addition to these developments, it is alarming to see the Turkish state's response to legitimate demands and democratic actions of the Kurdish people. On the one hand special fighting units of the Turkish army are increasingly deployed in the Kurdish regions in order to crush the people's protest and uprising. On the other, attacks on Kurdish institutions, organisations and politicians are intensifying. Blaming the Kurdish TV-station ROJ-TV for the current developments and events, Turkish political and military authorities now try to achieve their long-standing goal of closing down the popular Kurdish TV-station. The repression of Kurdish political representatives is taken to another level as Turkey is threatening legal action and court cases as well as open violence against Kurdish mayors and parties such as the Party for a Democratic Society (DTP).

All this illustrates vividly the extent to which the Turkish state understands the Kurdish people as part of its own citizenship. That is, Kurds are still perceived and treated as 'terrorists, trouble makers and traitors'. Equally, reforms of linguistic, cultural and political rights of the Kurds, which were introduced hesitantly, were subsequently declared invalid by the Turkish authorities. Again, the Turkish government of minister president Erdogan demonstrates that so-called reforms and declarations of intent are a sole masquerade.

Responding to the recent events, Erdogan issued a statement in which there was not a single word lost about the murdered children and adolescents. The police and military forces responsible for the murders do not have to fear any legal or disciplinary consequences. On the contrary, the Turkish Prime Minister said the following: 'Our security forces will use the necessary force and intervene against anybody who agrees to be a tool of terror, including children and women. I want this to be clearly understood.' This statement amounts to a licence to kill, the green light for more massacres on the Kurdish civilian population. According to Erdogan's reasoning, murdering children is part of necessary intervention by the state in agreement with Turkish political authorities. With his words and actions Erdogan makes himself personally and politically fully responsible for the massacres of Kurdish civilians.

These most recent events clearly demonstrate that Turkey is still a long way from democracy, human rights and the rule of law. It is highly questionable whether the current developments in Turkey can be squared with aspirations for membership of the European Union. All member states of the EU are called upon to intervene strongly against these forms of state terrorism practiced by Turkey. If Turkey's policies and attitudes do not change the prospect of EU-membership can not be upheld any longer.
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

PKK Supporters Attack Turkish Locals in Berlin

PKK Supporters Attack Turkish Locals in Berlin
                    By Anadolu News Agency (aa), Berlin
                    Published: Tuesday, April 04, 2006
                    zaman.com

Supporters of the terrorist organization, the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) in Berlin, attacked Turkish institutions earlier today.

Berlin Police reported three perpetrators threw stones at a social club for Turks in the district of Wedding.

Burning material was also thrown inside; however, those inside manage to extinguish it before it managed to cause any damage.

The attackers placed an explosive under a car that they damaged in the attack before making their escape.

Unknown perpetrators in Reinickendorf region also threw burning material at a car. An eyewitness at the scene extinguished the fire.

A Turkish restaurant, “Hasir,” in Berlin was also attacked by a group over the weekend.

While the authorities are evaluating all the possible causes for the attacks, it has been suggested that the attacks were influenced by the recent incidents in southeastern Turkey

Comment

Parliament to Discuss Uproar in Southeast

Parliament to Discuss Uproar in Southeast
                      By Cihan News Agency
                      Published: Tuesday, April 04, 2006
                      zaman.com

The Turkish parliament is to hold a special session on Tuesday to discuss last week's public disturbances in southeast Turkey.

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government will inform the MPs about the recent incidents which left fifteen people dead.

Interior Minister Abdulkadir Aksu, who visited the region last week, is expected to address the lawmakers regarding the incidents.

Opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) and the Motherland Party (ANAP) members are expected to direct criticism against the government for its failure to resolve the problem.

The Turkish cabinet had discussed the recent developments in the region and possible security measures during a 6-hour meeting on Monday

Comment

Working...
                      X