Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

MHP blames Armenians for Hrant Dinks murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHP blames Armenians for Hrant Dinks murder

Typical...

Turkey's PM says Armenian killing attack on nation
    Sat 20 Jan 2007 15:19:58 GMT
    (Adds more reaction and funeral details)

By Paul de Bendern

ISTANBUL, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan pledged on Saturday to tackle the "provocateurs" behind the death of a writer who had angered nationalists with his articles referring to a Turkish "genocide" of Armenians.

Hrant Dink, editor of the bilingual Turkish-Armenian weekly Agos and Turkey's best known Armenian voice abroad, was shot in broad daylight as he left his office in Istanbul on Friday.

"I am declaring once more as an answer to provocateurs who have blood in their hands that bullets fired at Hrant Dink were fired at all of us," Erdogan told his AK Party.

"We are aware of our responsibility as the government and we're making this a priority ... Hrant Dink was a son of this land."

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Turkish television on Saturday released a detailed picture of the suspected killer -- a young man with a trimmed beard.

Newspapers said racism and nationalism, which is on the rise ahead of elections in May and November, were ultimately to blame for Dink's death.

Dink, 52, was a Christian of Armenian descent. He was a frequent target of Turkish nationalists, including politicians and prosecutors, for saying the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks during World War One was genocide.

Nationalists see such comments as a threat to national unity. Turkey, which is predominantly Muslim, denies genocide was committed and says both Christian Armenians and Muslim Turks died in large numbers as the Ottoman Empire was breaking up.

"MONSTER OF NATIONALISM"

"Those who created nationalist sentiment in Turkey have fed such a monster that there are many youngsters on the streets who do not find the ... state nationalist enough and are ready to take the law into their own hands," wrote Ismet Berkan in his column in Radikal, one of Turkey's main dailies.

"Politicians, journalists and film makers also contributed to the creation of this murderous nationalist atmosphere."

Dink had received a suspended six-month jail term in 2005 for "insulting Turkey's identity" in an article that discussed Armenian nationalist ideas of ethnic purity.

Despite his record of breaking taboos, his murder sparked rare unity among leading politicians and papers.

The front page of the leading liberal daily Milliyet read "Hrant Dink is Turkey".

Armenia, which has no diplomatic ties with Turkey but shares a border, expressed shock and urged Turkey to find the killers.

But the deputy leader of Turkey's nationalist MHP party, Mehmet Sandir, blamed Dink's death on the Armenian diaspora, the state Anatolian news agency reported.

The killing again raised questions about how far Turkey has come in addressing minorities and freedom of expression as it applies to join the European Union.

Turkey was criticised abroad last year for prosecuting Nobel Literature Prize winner Orhan Pamuk over his comments on the massacre of Armenians. His trial later collapsed.

"Hrant Dink symbolised tolerance. Those who shot him have no idea that they also shot Turkey," leading Turkish commentator Mehmet Ali Birand wrote in the Turkish Daily News.

The killing is bound to raise pressure again on Turkey to deal with its past. Last year France passed a law criminalising the denial of an Armenian genocide -- a law that Dink opposed.

Dink, survived by a wife and three children, will be laid to rest on Tuesday at the Balikli Armenian Cemetery in Istanbul.

In an article in Agos on the day of his death, he wrote: "The prosecutions will continue and new ones will begin. Who knows what other injustices I will face." (Additional reporting by Selcuk Gokoluk in Ankara)
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

LAST EDITORIAL OF HRANT DINK (translated by F.M. Gocek)

"All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Let All Liars Shut Up. Hrant’s Wounds Are Still Bleeding.

"All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Check out this BS

Why does this not surprise me???

-Joseph

Journal of Turkish Weekly
        Jan 20 2007

Who killed the Turkish editor Hrant Dink?
        Baris Sanli

Saturday , 20 January 2007

The bitterness diffused to everyone. For days, it has been cold and
        dry in Ankara, yesterday the weather showed its mild face and rained
        a bit. The rain, as if the clouds have cried, has added to this
        bitterness.

Last night to this morning, whomever I talked, everyone expressed
        his/her condemnations. From the mail list, there was this sense of
        denial. The conspiracy machines were working at full speed. It is a
        belief that most of the Turks think that this is completely an act
        against Turkey and Turkey's thesis. Even ultra-nationalists are
        thinking this way.

What is the best time to expect such a horrible act like killing an
        Armenian writer? I thought, in the 1980s, when ASALA was at large,
        the attacks to the Armenian society was more likely. But that never
        happened. This time, a Turkish Armenian editor, who is human, modest
        and intellectual, has been shot dead.

I am personally very sorry, first of all another Turk has died.
        Secondly, an adversary of mine has died. The readers of my column,
        Turkish Chilli, will remember my sarcastic articles about Armenians.
        I am quite successful irritating every Armenian.

One thing everyone has to ask himself is what the murderers have
        aimed? A greater Turkey? To rotten Armenian allegations through the
        blood of an editor who supports dialog? Greater nationalist aims?
        Punishing?

At the end, from Military to hard core nationalists, everyone
        condemned the incident, and acted as if it was a bullet to the heart
        of Turkey. First of all a Turkish citizen has been killed, secondly a
        sui generis Turkish citizen has been killed who defended Turkey in
        France. In this sense he was more Turk than opposing
        ultra-nationalists.

The post-Ottoman Turkish identity in general is defined by Ataturk's
        famous proverb: `How happy is the one who says I am a Turk'. He
        doesn't say `How happy is the one who is a Turk'. So, anyone who
        identifies himself as a Turk, may not be an ethnic Turk. If someone
        says I am a Turk, then he/she is a Turk, according to Ataturk.

The nationalist idea does not make you a Turk, but how you define
        yourself, what you did for your country counts. With this logic and
        his efforts in France against Armenian aims and his love for this
        land, makes him a Turkish nationalist which the protesters against
        him can only dream of. We will remember his name, but not his
        protestors.

So who killed him? The popular rumours in Ankara are those: First
        suspect is a foreign intelligence service, who is against Turkey's EU
        accession. This service has been accused of carrying out killings in
        Turkey like Necip Hablemitoglu's murder and provoking inter-ethnic
        clashes. Also this intelligence organization's name is related to
        Sivas incident.

Second is, this may be an incident stemming from disputes among
        Armenian groups. Mr. Dink's ideas were not in parallel with other
        Armenian groups, especially with those living in Diaspora.

Ask yourself calmly as if he was alive. Who will benefit most from
        his death? Turkey? Armenian Diaspora? Anti-Turkish EU camp? Or idiot
        ultra-nationalist?

At the end, we will probably face Agca dilemma. The killer may be an
        ordinary guy, who has nationalist links but not complete connection,
        who doesn't ask lots of question and claiming his motives as `to
        serve Turkish nation'. He will not be rich, probably he will have
        debts. He has probably been in different ideological circles but he
        will lack any leadership skills or charisma. He will also show signs
        of psychological disorders.

These are my ideas and may not be true. But if these are correct, he
        will probably be a perfect candidate for `Dark hands'
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Slightly better commentary

Hrant was killed by Turkey’s enemies

Saturday, January 20, 2007
          Turkish Daily News

Mehmet Ali Birand Today,

I place myself in Hrant Dink's shoes. I think like him. I share his opinions. He was a person whose sole aim was to bring Turks and Armenians closer. He was as Turkish as he was Armenian. He loved his roots and he loved his country. He never went to extremes. Murdering Dink means being an enemy of Turkey. I am sure some statements will be released. They will talk about a murder committed by an insane individual. No gentlemen. That's not true. We all know who is responsible for this murder: Those who hate Armenians, those who flood the streets at every opportunity to hunt Armenians and those who raid exhibitions on Armenians. Those who try to spread anti-Armenian propaganda. These people are the real culprits. Hrant Dink symbolized tolerance. Those who shot at him have no idea that they also shot at Turkey. Just wait and see how this will resonate outside. United States, France and other European countries will send proposals on the Armenians genocide and will just rush them through. Turkey will be blamed for everything. Newspapers will write about how Turkish people could not tolerate a liberal journalist of Armenian origin. Can there be any greater harm to our country? Shame on them. Hrant Dink will continue to live in our hearts.

Comment

Now they want his coffin covered in the Turkish flag

I can't think of anything more insulting to Armenians. Anyway let the family decide - what business is it of the Turkish state?

Sabah, Turkey
            Jan 21 2007

'Let's cover his coffin with Turkish flag'

CHP also supported the suggestion of the AKP member to cover
            the coffin with Turkish flag.

Is it possible to cover Hrant Dink's coffin with flag? Sevigen from
            CHP said: "it is possible if his family want to"; Another opinion:
            "it is against law. But it can be a message to the ones who aim to
            stir Turkey."

"his coffin should be covered with Turkish"

The political consultant of the prime minister, said that Dink
            is the victim of the pop-fascism of Hitler style and added: "he was
            the host of this country. His coffin should be covered with Turkish
            flag".

The political consultant of the prime minister, the
            deputy of AKP from Adana, stated that the murder of Hrant Dink is the
            result of the 'pop fascism' wave created by the marginal mentality
            sworn to terminate the other. He said: "Turkey can fight with any
            kind of terror. However, the major point here is a pop-fascism in
            Hitler style. Contrary to some, he was not entrusted to us as an
            Armenian; rather he was the real host of this country. So his funeral
            should be suitable for this with a Turkish flag."

Comment

Kurds are no fools - they live with this too

Kurdish Media, UK
              Jan 21 2007

CHAK condemns the assassination of the Armenian journalist Hrant Dink

1/21/2007 CHAK

The Halabja Center against the Anfal campaign and genocide of the
              Kurds (CHAK) condemns the assassination of the Armenian journalist
              Hrant Dink.

The assassination of Hrant Dink has silenced a different voice and a
              brave pen. Mr. Dink's death is a loss to humanity and has weakened
              the struggle to reveal truths from the past.

This assassination is a result of Turkey's racist policy towards
              anyone questioning Turkishness and Turkey's unity. It is clearly a
              political assassination that shows the depth of hatred contained in
              Turkism.

The Turkish government convicted Hrank Dink of insulting Turkish
              identity in 2005, which is proof of Turkey's intolerant policy toward
              freedom of speech and different thinking.

Turkey's government was well aware about the threats Mr. Dink
              received daily, as he frequently informed the authorities. But they
              did nothing to prevent this crime. Thus Turkey carries a heavy
              responsibility for this murder.

While we send our sympathy and condolence to the family and friends
              of martyr Hrank Dink, we appeal for further efforts to reveal the
              dark past in connection with the Armenian genocide and the mass
              killings of the Kurds committed by Turkey. Without confession of the
              past unforgotten crimes, real peace can not be achieved.

Kurds (CHAK)

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
                Kurdish Media, UK
                Jan 21 2007

CHAK condemns the assassination of the Armenian journalist Hrant Dink

1/21/2007 CHAK

Kurds (CHAK) condemns the assassination of the Armenian journalist
                Hrant Dink.

The assassination of Hrant Dink has silenced a different voice and a
                brave pen. Mr. Dink's death is a loss to humanity and has weakened
                the struggle to reveal truths from the past.

This assassination is a result of Turkey's racist policy towards
                anyone questioning Turkishness and Turkey's unity. It is clearly a
                political assassination that shows the depth of hatred contained in
                Turkism.

The Turkish government convicted Hrank Dink of insulting Turkish
                identity in 2005, which is proof of Turkey's intolerant policy toward
                freedom of speech and different thinking.

Turkey's government was well aware about the threats Mr. Dink
                received daily, as he frequently informed the authorities. But they
                did nothing to prevent this crime. Thus Turkey carries a heavy
                responsibility for this murder.

While we send our sympathy and condolence to the family and friends
                of martyr Hrank Dink, we appeal for further efforts to reveal the
                dark past in connection with the Armenian genocide and the mass
                killings of the Kurds committed by Turkey. Without confession of the
                past unforgotten crimes, real peace can not be achieved.

Kurds (CHAK)

Wrong, it has exponentially strengthened the struggle for justice...

Comment

Working...
                X