Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkish Invasion of Kurdistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish Invasion of Kurdistan

The American Case Against Turkish Invasion

by Martin Zehr Page 1 of 1 page(s)

Opednews.com Progressive, Liberal United States and International News, Opinion, Op-Eds and Politics

Recent activity by the Turkish military and government presents a real danger of invasion by Turkey against the Kurdish Autonomous region. Next week the Turkish Parliament will be voting to approve military action against the Kurdish Autonomous Region. While the US State Department has opposed such actions, as have the EU and Russia, it clearly remains a likely scenario in the near future that Turkish troops will invade southern Kurdistan in its never-ending military campaign against the Kurdish resistance movement. Americans who support the rights of the Kurdish nation confront a mixed proposition. While I adamantly oppose the US occupation of Iraq, I cannot simply stand by and accept Turkish military intervention as a solution to the oppression of Kurds as a viable option in resolving the longstanding conflict. For too long, Turkish troops have displaced hundreds of Kurdish villages and killed tens of thousands of Kurds in Turkey. It is important now to present a strong and singular warning to Turkey of the consequences of such an attack on the Kurdish Autonomous Region within Iraq.

The US Senate recently approved a resolution that recognized the concept of federalism within the Iraqi state. It is not binding on Iraq, or on the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). It does propose that the national aspirations of the Kurdish people be recognized internationally in the political reconfiguration in regards to the rights of both sects and the Kurdish nation in post-occupation scenario. The KRG has proposed a national dialogue within Iraq on this issue. Too often there is a presumption that the three have common but distinct goals in the removal of US troops. The fact is that the Kurdish position focuses on preserving the autonomy of the Kurdistan Regional Government within the context of a weaker central Iraqi government or, failing that, to establish its own state. There is no desire to subordinate the KRG’s ability to protect Kurdish people to others whose failure to defend the Kurdish people in the recent past stands as a historical legacy. Neither is it acceptable for the US to stand blind to the mass murders of Kurds as it did after the Persian Gulf War.

There is no obscuring the issue given the recent activity of the Turkish military. Its record in regards to displacements of Kurdish villages and mass murders stands despite its denials. The historic actions of the Ottoman Empire against Armenians stand as a clear warning that the Turkish government’s actions do not match their words. A Congressional Committee today approved a resolution condemning this genocide of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire. Clearly, the Turkish government of Prime Minister Erdogan is seeking not only to continue to deny the genocide against the Armenians but is seeking to widen its conflict against the Kurds today.

Americans need to support the Kirkuk referendum as a non-violent and democratic means of determining the status of Kirkuk within Iraq. If it is decided to be integrated as part of the Kurdish Autonomous Region, this would empower those within the borders of Iraq to decide their own destiny. The Turkish opposition to the right to hold this referendum is an unwarranted interference in the affairs of another country. Turkmen within Kirkuk are by no means excluded from this process, but they are by no means represented by the Turkish government. If the Turkish goal is to annex the Kurdish Autonomous Region into Turkey, clearly a military invasion will attempt to make this a fait accompli. This will not demonstrate the will of the Kurdish people who have voted overwhelmingly in support of their national sovereignty. At issue is the very right for the Kurdish nation to establish their own government to represent their people. American people need to be taught the recent history of relations within Iraq and the roles of Iran, Iraq and Turkey and why it is so critical that Kurds have the ability to determine their future for themselves. This is not an advocacy for US occupation of Turkey, or for military action against Iran. There is no hidden alliance here between the Kurdish nation and Israel to increase Israeli control. It is solely an effort to defend the legitimate demands of the Kurdish people and their right to construct their own future. American military aid to Turkey has made possible their ability to become such a powerful force in the region. This aid should be suspended until Turkey ceases its provocations. Turkish occupation is not an alternative to US occupation. As it stands, the US military has not played any significant role in the Kurdish Autonomous Region. Peace and tranquility has been established by the current consensus of Kurdish peoples to self-government within the Iraqi state.

The rights of the peoples of southern Kurdistan have been constitutionally defined. The Kirkuk referendum has been mandated in the Constitution in Article 140. While this is by no means the final resolution of the issue, the Kurdistan Regional Government has worked as a distinct entity, recognized by all other parties within Iraq. It has distinct interests that distinguish it from those in the Sunni and Shi’a sects. Americans sometimes confuse the sectarian positions from the Kurdish national right to self-determination. As a politically recognized entity within Iraq, the Kurdish Autonomous Region is distinguished from the status of the sects and the parties that represent them. It is possible to promote the Kurdish rights without presuming the right of US occupation. There is a need to demonstrate international commitments to the defense of the Kurdish nation.

American people can readily accept the distinctions. We have no right to impose on the Kurdish people, given the actions of Saddam Hussein, the requirement to support any subjugation of the Kurdish nation. The solution lies within the expressed desires of the Kurdish people. Americans need to understand what this means. It means that Turkey has NO right to interfere in the rights to self-government of the Kurdish peoples within Iraq.American people can readily accept the distinctions. We have no right to impose on the Kurdish people, given the actions of Saddam Hussein, the requirement to subordinate their effort to self-determination to the interests of those who have subjected them in the recent past to mass murders. The solution lies within the expressed desires of the Kurdish people. Americans need to understand what this means. It means that Turkey has NO right to interfere in the rights to self-government of the Kurdish peoples within Iraq.

Educational work is necessary to expose the true character of the Turkish war against Kurds that has been going on for 30 years. The role of the PKK in this struggle remains a matter that needs to be included without fear of being critical of particular tactics that it has used in its history. The fundamental issue is the discrimination and national oppression of Kurdish people by the Turkish government and the reign of terror on rural Kurds by the Turkish military. To suggest that recent military moves by the Turkish military are based on attacks on the Turkish military by the PKK needs to be exposed in the context of Turkey’s unending dedication to crush ANY form of Kurdish self-government in the region and prevent the construction of a stable economy.

Martin Zehr is an American political writer in the San Francisco area whose article on the Kirkuk Referendum has been printed by the Kurdish Regional Government, http://www.moera-krg.org/articles/de...=12121&rnr=140 Another article was reprinted in its entirety by the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) http://www.puk.org/web/htm/news/nws/news070514.html He is a Contributing Writer to Kurdish Aspect www.kurdishaspect.com/AboutUs.html where his articles have appeared on line and in print. URL links to articles on OPEDNEWS.com can be found at: http://gregg-jocoy.blogspot.com/2007...raries-at.html

His articles have been posted widely http://www.countercurrents.org/zehr060607.htm http://rojtv.blogspot.com/2007/05/tu...i-kurdish.html http://greekturkish.18.forumer.com/a..._post1569.html http://asoxandan.com/Direje_E.asp?Ba...ort&Jimare=123 http://www.balochpeople.org/eng/2007/mar/opinions2.htm http://www.kurdistantv.net/encamek.a...gerbeje=Martin
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

When the Turks feel offended and angry, they feel the need to kill somebody. The Armenian Genocide resolution has made them very unhappy, now they feel the need to kill Kurds.

In some ways, I hope they invade Northern Iraq/Southern Kurdistan and attack our allies under the guise of fighting the PKK. They will come toe to toe with a US Forces and a very motivated Peshmerga and their nose will be bloodied. It would be a great development if the Turks reacted by leaving NATO and becoming unaligned and perhaps even enemies with the US. It may seem far-fetched but this could happen. The only force holding the precarious Turkish-US alliance together on the Turkish side is the military. If we piss them off enough, they will over-react and in this case, cut off ties with the US. So let it be written, let it be done. Armenians need to continue to do whatever we can to fracture the Turkish alliance with the West. Why? Because we owe it to them for what they've done to Armenian, Assyrians, Greeks etc. The fact that a non-biding resoulion in Congress could snowball into what i have descibed above is poetic justice.

What Turkey may do next:

1. Turkey cuts off military ties with the US
    2. Turks invade Northern Iraq
    3. Turkey pull out of the EU talks (Europeans sigh in relief)
    4. Turkey pulls closer to islamic regimes in the M.E.
    5. Strained relations with Israel ( Israel now cannot deny Turkey's true colors)
    6. Turkish population grows more Islamo-fascist and/or Nationalistic ( a winning combo)
    7. Turkey leaves NATO (Westerners sigh in relief)
    8. Turkey become a pariah state
    9. Turkey's military dictatorship and Muslim population at ever increasing odds
    10. Civil War? Revolution?

Couldn't happen to nicer people. They deserve nothing less for all the horrors they have unleased upon the world.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      When the Turks feel offended and angry, they feel the need to kill somebody. The Armenian Genocide resolution has made them very unhappy, now they feel the need to kill Kurds.

In some ways, I hope they invade Northern Iraq/Southern Kurdistan and attack our allies under the guise of fighting the PKK. They will come toe to toe with a US Forces and a very motivated Peshmerga and their nose will be bloodied. It would be a great development if the Turks reacted by leaving NATO and becoming unaligned and perhaps even enemies with the US. It may seem far-fetched but this could happen. The only force holding the precarious Turkish-US alliance together on the Turkish side is the military. If we piss them off enough, they will over-react and in this case, cut off ties with the US. So let it be written, let it be done. Armenians need to continue to do whatever we can to fracture the Turkish alliance with the West. Why? Because we owe it to them for what they've done to Armenian, Assyrians, Greeks etc. The fact that a non-biding resoulion in Congress could snowball into what i have descibed above is poetic justice.

What Turkey may do next:

1. Turkey cuts off military ties with the US
      2. Turks invade Northern Iraq
      3. Turkey pull out of the EU talks (Europeans sigh in relief)
      4. Turkey pulls closer to islamic regimes in the M.E.
      5. Strained relations with Israel ( Israel now cannot deny Turkey's true colors)
      6. Turkish population grows more Islamo-fascist and/or Nationalistic ( a winning combo)
      7. Turkey leaves NATO (Westerners sigh in relief)
      8. Turkey become a pariah state
      9. Turkey's military dictatorship and Muslim population at ever increasing odds
      10. Civil War? Revolution?

Couldn't happen to nicer people. They deserve nothing less for all the horrors they have unleased upon the world.
      11. Armenia, backed by Russia, USA and Iran invades Turkey
      12. After 2 months of battle against the now flimsy Turkish forces Armenia regains historical Armenia... Only a few hundred civilians are killed in the process....????
      13. Turks, Kurds, Azeris, Arabs, Chechen, Georgian, Assyrian, Persian and Greek people living in Dogu Anadolu hail the return of the Armenian, celebrations continue for weeks.
      14. Armenia restores peace in the region and shows the world how a multicultural, multireligious piece of land and territory should be governed.

It all sounds very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by hitite View Post
        11. Armenia, backed by Russia, USA and Iran invades Turkey
        12. After 2 months of battle against the now flimsy Turkish forces Armenia regains historical Armenia... Only a few hundred civilians are killed in the process....????
        13. Turks, Kurds, Azeris, Arabs, Chechen, Georgian, Assyrian, Persian and Greek people living in Dogu Anadolu hail the return of the Armenian, celebrations continue for weeks.
        14. Armenia restores peace in the region and shows the world how a multicultural, multireligious piece of land and territory should be governed.

It all sounds very nice.
        Not exactly. My list above varies from very possible to slightly possible and the points you have added, well, even I can admit would never happen. My emphasis was on Turkey's possible drastic over-reaction to a non-binding Congressional resoultion. At the same time, I fully advocate the ending of the US-Turkish alliance. It has served its purpose and is now rotten to the core.The US has made far too many mistakes recently and why continue being ally with a fascist nation?

Comment

The US has made far too many mistakes recently and why continue being ally with a fascist nation?
          Define fascist.

Comment

Define fascist.
            OK - racist, jackboot wearing, sign of the grey wolf giving....good enough...

Comment

Define fascist.
              I believe an individual fascist is one that blindly follows the will of jingoistic or ultranationalist state. A nation can be fascist when they encourage and even expect this of their citizens.

Do you think Turkey is fascist? If not, why? If so, how?

Comment

Not exactly. My list above varies from very possible to slightly possible and the points you have added, well, even I can admit would never happen. My emphasis was on Turkey's possible drastic over-reaction to a non-binding Congressional resoultion. At the same time, I fully advocate the ending of the US-Turkish alliance. It has served its purpose and is now rotten to the core.The US has made far too many mistakes recently and why continue being ally with a fascist nation?
                OK... Let me try to get this right. You say you want Turkey to invade Kurdistan during which most probably thousands of Trukish troops will die... which you may find drooling and in this process probably thousands of Kurdish civilians and soldiers will also die which as a person who probably lives in the non fascist US of A you find not very disturbing. Very sick mind you have, very American... couple of thousand Kurds dead... not a problem as long as you feel good about yourself... right.

So since all this could lead to revolution and this is something you desire who do you think wuold be the eventual victors of this revolution, the military, ultranationalists, leftists, radical islamists, armenians? Since you find my points 11-14 utter madness it means you do not belive Armenia will, should or can get some land back. This means you wish revolution for Turkeys sake. It is obvious you do not wish this revolution for a better Turkey hence your glorious "They deserve nothing less for all the horrors they have unleased upon the world" remark. So what you mean is that you wish we all die. This too can be understandable but that wish would also mean the death of thousands of other non Turks. But you dont have a problem with that. The result is what matters I guess. All just (again) very American couch philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
                  OK - racist, jackboot wearing, sign of the grey wolf giving....good enough...
                  Good enough I guess. Many Turks can be quite rascist and many are so without knowing they are. Still however I would say the majority is not. But fascist..mmm I wouldnt say so.

Your terms however cant be applied to Turkey as a state which Joseph was implying. A fascist state is usually isolationist but Turkey happens to be integrated into the international community quite a fair deal, not that it means much but it is.

I believe an individual fascist is one that blindly follows the will of jingoistic or ultranationalist state. A nation can be fascist when they encourage and even expect this of theri citizens.

Do you think Turkey is fascist? If not, why? If so, how?
                  I would not call Turkey a fascist nation since in such a country there could not be endless arguments about whether we should include Kemalist ideals in the new constitution or not and the presidents wife of that state could easliy attend state receptions with her turban on. Everybody in this country is shouting and screaming out their opinion about everything, even the Armenian genocide with the exception that if the topic is the Armenian Genocide you are talking about you could get killed.... You would be quite safe with everything else. So as far as the the AG and some aspects of Kemalism is concerned we are fascist but otherwise we are not.

Comment

Kind of a shopping cart Turk ,are we?
                    "All truth passes through three stages:
                    First, it is ridiculed;
                    Second, it is violently opposed; and
                    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                    X