Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Robert Fisk:treaty with Turkey

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robert Fisk:treaty with Turkey

Many in the diaspora is shocked by this because they only associate the Armenian identity with the genocide. For them, this is treasonous. For those who can identify with our history and culture, this is more of a disappointment because S. Sarkisian won nothing from this and Turkey received small concessions from Yerevan and scored major points with the EU, NATO, US, UN and all organizations that previously looked down on them for their history of ethnic terrorism against their own people.

The main objective for the 'protocols' is inter-government dialogue...they should first receive an acknowledgment of the genocide, before all else, not just for the sake of justice (not that justice matters in politics) but because without it, you can not expect Turkey to be sincere about anything else it says/promises.

There was an ethnic cleansing policy during the ottoman empire. more than heirs to the genocide, they also had a campaign to further ethnic (turkic) based policies (ethnically cleansing the identities of indigenous peoples) not just while ataturk was alive but even moreso since then.
    kurtçul kangal

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
      That's what you think.What Bell is doing is he can't attack the man on substance but only on vanity. Let Bell produce the incredible body of work Fisk has produced (and not gotten the credit he deserved, since hes anti-establishment) then he can make personal attacks and innuendo against him. Bells just (not valid but in) jealous
      You know nothing about Fisk's writings. Most of his articles fail. For the informed, they are are almost always over-simplifications, full of errors. For the uninformed, they never explain essential things clearly enough and they often contain annoying sidetracks into whatever his current personal hobby-horse interest is, or that "and only I dare talk about it" smuggness and boasting. Reading his articles, you would think he was the only person ever to speak out against Blair and his lies about Iraq.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
        Bell's criticism is valid. No attacks necessary. He's not scolding Fisk for speaking out against genocide denial and other human rights abuses, but for his tendency to constantly pat himself on the back.
        I'd also scold him about the specific content of that article. He, without presenting a shred of evidence to back up the assertion, calls the agreement a "trade-for-denial treaty", and gives his article a completely over-the-top tabloid-style "new trade deal is set to gloss over the murder of 1.5 million people" subheading.

And there are all the usual oversimplifications that misrepresent the true facts about the Genocide. Stuff like "Erzerum, Serena [???], Sivas, Bitlis and other cities in Turkish western Armenia" play straight into the hands of the Turkish propagandists. The victims of the Armenian Genocide were mostly not from from "Western Armenia" (i.e. Eastern Turkey) - they were from central Turkey, Western Turkey, Cilicia, etc. But by saying they were all from the East, he is actually agreeing with the Turkish lies that say the victims were being evacuated from a war zone. And NK wasn't "seized from Azerbaijan by Armenian militias".

The mention of the WW1 Kut prisoners is either an example of his sidetracks, or an example of his condescending attitudes: is he assuming that his readers will care nothing about the subject of the article unless there is some mention of British citizens being mistreated in it?
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          You know nothing about Fisk's writings. Most of his articles fail. For the informed, they are are almost always over-simplifications, full of errors. For the uninformed, they never explain essential things clearly enough and they often contain annoying sidetracks into whatever his current personal hobby-horse interest is, or that "and only I dare talk about it" smuggness and boasting. Reading his articles, you would think he was the only person ever to speak out against Blair and his lies about Iraq.
          I Don't believe I missed any of his columns in the past 5 years, what I really enjoyed was reading hes excellent book The Great War for civilisation: the conquest of the Middle East,I just get a kick out of war journalism because it puts you right in action and takes courage to do, unlike sitting home and trying to create BS.I'm not sure if there were errors sometimes in hes works that's not what I personally look for in hes work, he's just not that kind of a writer and I'm sure they are unintentional, but hes not acknowledging hes minor errors sometimes causing you worry, don't fret my little furry friend most authors have a proof reader and they are human also they all err.
          I think we need to look for what is right in our true allies and value that instead of maximizing errs on some detail, this after all is not a court room and Armenian Genocide is too big for any court in the world to hear, anyways.
          "All truth passes through three stages:
          First, it is ridiculed;
          Second, it is violently opposed; and
          Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
            Oh please, even Turks like Fisk (due to his articles about Israel and the middle east). They just don't read the parts about the Armenian Genocide. :P

Get over it. Fisk owned Turkey, and there is no bull they can put out to silence his argument.

Sure you can wine and moan:
            "its not fair that Robert Fisk is popular"
            "if we just had a little more time we could disprove the genocide"
            "his grammar is terrible"

Please get over it. You can't compete with Robert Fisk...moan, cry, cry

Comment

This thread seems to have served its purpose, now you guys are just taking shots at eachother. Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
              X