Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The 100th Anniversary - and Events to Mark it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 100th Anniversary - and Events to Mark it

^ Big left hook! Not much left now.. America should go for the KO!

Comment

Kremlin: Putin will visit Yerevan on April 24

At the invitation of Armenia’s President Serzh Sargsyan, Russian President Vladimir Putin will pay a visit to Yerevan on Friday, April 24, informed the Kremlin press service.

In the capital city of Armenia, Putin will participate in the centenary commemorations of the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire.

Within the framework of this visit, the Presidents of Armenia and Russia will meet, during which they are expected to discuss bilateral agenda issues, collaboration within integration unions, and current regional and international matters.

As reported earlier, Vladimir Putin will meet with his French counterpart François Hollande, also in Yerevan on Friday.

The Russian President will participate in the centenary commemorations of the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire…

Comment

GEORGIAN LEADERS NOT TO ATTEND ARMENIAN GENOCIDE COMMEMORATION IN YEREVAN

YEREVAN, April 20. / ARKA /. President of Georgia Giorgi Margvelashvili
        will not come to Armenia to commemorate the centenary of the Armenian
        Genocide in the Ottoman Empire, Russian Interfax news agency said.

Interfax quoted Tengiz Pkhaladze, an aide to Margvelashvili, as saying
        that Georgia had informed Armenian authorities through diplomatic
        channels that president Margvelashvili will not be able to come to
        Armenia on April 23-24 because he will be welcoming Byelorussian
        president Alexander Lukashenko who will be visiting Georgia on the
        same days with an official visit.

The Georgian government did not confirm earlier reports that Georgian
        prime minister Irakli Gharibashvili will be present in Armenia on
        April 23-24.

Last week Georgian parliament declined a motion to consider the
        recognition of the Armenian Genocide presented by the ethnic Armenian
        MP Samvel Petrosyan.

Independent experts say Georgia is reluctant to recognize the massacres
        of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire as genocide not to worsen relations
        with neighboring Turkey and Azerbaijan, its key economic partners.-0-

President of Georgia Giorgi Margvelashvili will not come to Armenia to commemorate the centenary of the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire, Russian Interfax news agency said.

Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

There has been a lot going on here in the Detroit area recently pertaining to the genocide. A week ago I was at Eastern Michigan University where a couple of deniers paid by the Turkish government were holding a lecture on how too many events are dubbed genocide but they are not genocide. It was the usual bs like the term was not invented yet so it could not have been a genocide, it was suppressing a revolution, it was relocation not genocide... The speakers were a xxxish writer named Fein and a Turkish layer both of them are paid by the Turkish government. We had a lot of Armenians show up for this event and we had more Armenians then turks attending. The layer kept going on and on about due process and how there is no evidence of state involvement. I pointed out the hypocrisy of his statement by asking him where was due process for all the innocent victims that were murdered(the guy with the mic kept basically running away from me after that). Their arguments were so bad that without any prepping we made them look like fools. Their arguments are so weak that some of the turks in the audience were clapping while we maid our points. The intent to deny at all costs was so obvious on the face of the turkish speaker and when all of his arguments were debunked he simply kept reverting to the lack of evidence of government involvement. I think this event ended up being a good event instead of the devious denial it was supposed to focus on. There was much interaction between turks and Armenians. I saw some sympathy from much of the Turkish audience and even the xxxish speaker but not the cold hearted Turkish speaker. Had I known about this event ahead of time I would have prepped for it and made these speakers look even worst. At a certain point the whole denial was so artificial, redundent and sickening that I just left the room.
          Last weekend we had a wonderful event with Robert Fisk as one of the guest speakers. Our Detroit dancers did a great job at this event and Fisk was brilliant as usual. Armenian actor Eric Bogosian was also a guest speaker and discussed his book about the genocide.
          I hope we can have more useful events like these instead of what we have had in the past. Our community in Detroit seems to be staging better events as a newer generation of leaders is taking over. It is taxing to get to and attend many of these events(I live kind of far) so I try to be at the ones that look the most interesting and they have indeed been interesting.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

April 20, 2015
            Serbian President Tomislav Nikolić to be in Yerevan on April 24th

President of Serbia Tomislav Nikolić will be in Yerevan on April 24 and will pay tribute to the innocent victims of the Armenian Genocide. This is what Chief of Staff of the President of the Republic of Armenia, coordinator of the events for the commemoration of the 100 thanniversary of the Armenian Genocide Vigen Sargsyan announced during an April 20 press conference, as “Armenpress” reports. “Currently, it is known that the leaders of four countries, including President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, President of France Francois Hollande, President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades and President of Serbia Tomislav Nikolić will be in Armenia to participate in the ceremonies for the commemoration of the 100 th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide,” Sargsyan said.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              GEORGIAN LEADERS NOT TO ATTEND ARMENIAN GENOCIDE COMMEMORATION IN YEREVAN
              http://arka.am/en/news/politics/geor....2NJPo1tl.dpuf
              Of course not, Georgians are far too busy bending down for the Turks

Comment

By the by, Obama will not use the word "Genocide" in his address, and Germany is still going to debate whether or not to call it a genocide. On the plus side though, Austria recognized it.

Comment

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 21, 2015

President Obama Announces Presidential Delegation to the Republic of
                  Armenia to Attend the Centennial Commemoration of the Events of 1915

President Barack Obama today announced the designation of a
                  Presidential Delegation to the Republic of Armenia to attend the
                  Centennial Commemoration of the Events of 1915 on April 24, 2015.

The Honorable Jacob J. Lew, Secretary of the Department of Treasury,
                  will lead the delegation.

_ _

_Members of the Presidential Delegation:_

_ _

The Honorable Richard M. Mills, Jr., United States Ambassador to the
                  Republic of Armenia, Department of State

The Honorable Jackie `Kanchelian' Speier, Member of the United States
                  House of Representatives (CA-14)

The Honorable Frank Pallone, Jr., Member of the United States House of
                  Representatives (NJ-6)

The Honorable Anna G. Eshoo, Member of the United States House of
                  Representatives (CA-18)

The Honorable Dave Trott, Member of the United States House of
                  Representatives (MI-11)

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

‘They did not succeed in erasing us from the earth’: Armenian president interview
                    22/04 16:06 CET

Marking 100 years since the Armenian massacres, euronews met with Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan in the capital Yerevan.

Here we spoke of Armenia’s place in the modern world, Armenian-Turkish relations and the recognition of the killings by Turkey.

Olaf Bruns, euronews:

President, these days your country commemorates atrocious events, an unspeakable suffering that happened to your people. And even 100 years later, the wounds still seem deep. What is your message to the world?

Serzh Sargsyan, Armenian President:

The events that will commemorate the victims of the genocide contain in themselves a few messages. The first one is the message of remembrance. We think the crimes against humanity can not be forgotten with time. The second message during the events is gratitude, which is directly linked to the message of remembrance. It is gratitude to those individuals, organizations and nations and states that at the most difficult moment for us spoke up and extended a helpful hand to us and helped some of our people to survive. The third message is a mix of both remembrance and gratitude that leads towards prevention against the recurrence of such crimes and it is our duty to find out and point out the patterns and the causal relations that can later turn into this type of crime. With this we say that it is necessary to fight against these particular phenomena in order to be able to prevent future genocides and other crimes against humanity from recurring. And a final general message, the fourth one, is the message of a nation rising from the ashes. We say that those who wished us harm did not succeed in erasing us from the earth.

Olaf Bruns, euronews:

Everybody agrees of course that lessons must be drawn from the past. But even 100 years later, Turkey and Armenia still seem entrenched in this debate. Is there a way for your countries to move forward to work together on other topics, or will it be a stumbling block that keeps them apart?

I myself in my capacity as the president of the Republic of Armenia have tried two times to embark upon this path. And the two presidents who preceded me tried to embark upon that same path. We have declared our intention to establish diplomatic relations with Turkey without any preconditions. After that, parties could have discussed and addressed all issues that exist between them. The second such attempt was made on the eve of the Armenian genocide centennial. Several months in advance I sent a letter to the president of Turkey. That letter was delivered in person by our foreign minister to the appropriate Turkish officials, so it was not just a publicised action. And by that letter I invited him to partake in the April 24th events and to express jointly condolences and commemorate all victims. But the Turkish authorities decided otherwise: They decided to hold on April 24th – our genocide remembrance day – celebrations for the Gallipoli battle.
                    Olaf Bruns, euronews:

In the past days the Turkish side has unleashed all their anger, there were harsh statements, unusually harsh reactions to the statement of the pope, to a resolution voted by the European parliament. What is your feeling when your hear theses expressions of anger?

For us those statements and reactions of the Turkish side were not in any way or shape unexpected. We have always heard and witnessed their denialist posturing. We have also seen that every time they renewed their toolbox of denial. With regard to the statement by His Holiness, I consider that to be an appropriate one. You know, I believe that a world free of crimes against humanity can be achieved only with the leadership of strong people. His holiness is a great leader, just and truth speaking.

Olaf Bruns, euronews:

What would you wish the Turkish side to say? Or put differently: If they’d recognize the term genocide, would you consider everything to be alright in the relations?

Without doubt, the recognition of the genocide by the Turks is the shortest path to reconciliation of our nations. And it is my strong conviction: if it is done, and if it is done sincerely, I believe in a short period of time relations between Armenia and Turkey would be elevated to a new, quite high level.

Olaf Bruns, euronews:

Turkey had suggested the formation of an international committee of historians who would settle the issue once and for all and it would accept the outcome of this. In your view, what is wrong with this proposal?

First, from the very beginning it is incorrect since I am not aware of a case that historians sat down, made a decision and the question was settled once and for all. This was the first point. Secondly, I can not imagine how such a commission shall operate, since the Turkish historians would be under pressure of the Turkish society and Turkish authorities’ pressure, and the Armenian historians would be under the pressure of the Armenian society and Armenian authorities’. But even these are not the most important arguments. The most important is the following: the specialized structures, countries that posses the largest archives on this issue have no doubts about it. There are no doubts about it and I again return to what happened at the Vatican: What do you think, isn’t the Vatican one of the most well informed of the events that unfolded during the First World War? What do you think, does the Vatican feel a shortage of well-educated historians? For us such a proposal in itself is an insulting one since it questions the very fact and veracity of the Armenian genocide. Ultimately, what will the historians find out? How many people died? And is there a significant difference whether one and a half million people or one million four hundred forty nine thousand people died?
                    Link (With VIDEO): http://www.euronews.com/2015/04/22/a...cre-centenary/

Comment

Armenian killings were genocide - German president

German President Joachim Gauck has described as "genocide" the killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks, a move likely to cause outrage in Turkey.

He was speaking on the eve of a debate in the German parliament on the issue.

The Armenian Church earlier canonised 1.5 million Armenians it says were killed in massacres and deportations by Ottoman Turks during World War One.

Turkey disputes the term "genocide", arguing that there were many deaths on both sides during the conflict.

On Friday commemorations will mark the 100th anniversary of the killings.
                      German 'responsibility'

Speaking at a church service in Berlin, President Gauck said: "The fate of the Armenians stands as exemplary in the history of mass exterminations, ethnic cleansing, deportations and yes, genocide, which marked the 20th Century in such a terrible way."

Mr Gauck, who holds a largely ceremonial role, added that Germans also bore some responsibility "and in some cases complicity" concerning the "genocide of the Armenians". Germany was an ally of the Ottoman Empire during World War One.

His comments come as the German parliament, the Bundestag, prepares to debate a motion on the 1915 massacres.

But instead of a clear statement of condemnation, politicians will discuss an opaque, tortuously-worded sentence, which aims to be unclear enough to keep everyone happy - with the sort of convoluted phrasing that the German language is so good at, the BBC's Damien McGuinness in Berlin reports.

Germany joins Armenia genocide debate

Explosive issue .......

German President Joachim Gauck describes as "genocide" the 1915 killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks, a move likely to cause outrage in Turkey.

Last edited by londontsi; 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM.
                      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Working...
                      X