Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Actually, thank you. I do know how to use BitTorrents! I'm burning one of the films on DVD right now to make sure it works on my TV. If all goes well, I'll just download and burn. It may take a little longer than Netflix but at least I'll save a little.

Comment

The Bucket List: 9/10

Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

Siamanto -- it works great actually so thanks. I am going to make a list of films to watch and I will try to keep up with them and document them here. If you have any suggestions of films which appear on that website, please let me know.

Comment

The website doesn't have every film on my list so far but it'll do just fine. I don't know if I can make time to tackle all these films. I'd love to see a list of films by you; not only international cinema because you're a master of that. Anything will do.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
            Actually, thank you. I do know how to use BitTorrents!
            You're welcome! As for downloading BitTorrents, as you already know by now, there's nothing you can't do.

Plus, I want to watch them on my TV, not computer.
            I'm burning one of the films on DVD right now to make sure it works on my TV. If all goes well, I'll just download and burn. It may take a little longer than Netflix but at least I'll save a little.
            Something tells me that you have big appetite for movies, and you'll be watching a lot of them??? In that case, you should consider different solutions to "transport" the movie from your hard drive to the TV set; you've already found an acceptable solution, so you can allow yourself to take the time to chose the one that fits best your needs. Basically, the available solutions differ by their versatility, reliability, convenience, complexity and, of course, cost; for now, consider/compare the following solutions
            1- Manually transport the file by burning a DVD; does not require any extra hardware, reasonable cost, but you may end up with a huge collection of DVDs
            2- Using a portable hard drive; requires minimal initial investment, reusable but limited storage space
            3- Interconnect your computer/computer system with your TV set/Entertainment Center; requires moderate initial investment, reusable unlimited storage, convenient, versatile

Personally, I have opted for the third; it allows to watch movies on my TV, and listen music using my stereo system.

If you have any question about the solutions mentioned above, don't hesitate to ask; but, I suggest a different thread????

Siamanto -- it works great actually so thanks.
            Nice to hear.

The website doesn't have every film on my list so far but it'll do just fine.
            If you can't find a movie, try a couple of months later; I assure you that, soon, you'll always have something to watch.
            Also, you can afford to discover; it's free.

I am going to make a list of films to watch and I will try to keep up with them and document them here. If you have any suggestions of films which appear on that website, please let me know.
            I don't know if I can make time to tackle all these films. I'd love to see a list of films by you; not only international cinema because you're a master of that. Anything will do.
            That's more or less what I'm trying to do, though not in the form of a list; unfortunately, I don't have time to review everything that I watch. I'll do my best.
            Last edited by Siamanto; 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM.
            What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
              Something tells me that you have big appetite for movies, and you'll be watching a lot of them??? In that case, you should consider different solutions to "transport" the movie from your hard drive to the TV set.
              Well, my computer monitor is actually a 23" TV so I can technically download any movie and watch it from my computer/TV. The thing is, I'm anal - for the lack of a better word - when it comes to film.

I have to watch it in great quality, in complete silence, from start to finish, etc. So I'm not sure if I like watching films I haven't seen before on a 23" screen. After watching most of Annie Hall as a test run, I'm thinking it'll do just fine. I can watch films I have been anticipating for quite sometime on DVD in my living room, other than that, this screen is good enough.

Comment

Well, my computer monitor is actually a 23" TV so I can technically download any movie and watch it from my computer/TV. The thing is, I'm anal - for the lack of a better word - when it comes to film.

I have to watch it in great quality, in complete silence, from start to finish, etc. So I'm not sure if I like watching films I haven't seen before on a 23" screen. After watching most of Annie Hall as a test run, I'm thinking it'll do just fine. I can watch films I have been anticipating for quite sometime on DVD in my living room, other than that, this screen is good enough.
                The same applies to music, and that's exactly why I have interconnected my computer network and Entertainment Center; eventually, everybody will??? However, check the quality of the movie before your burn the DVD.

You have probably noticed that, often, more than one BitTorrent, of a given movie, are available, and as you become familiar with BitTorrents, you'll learn to make better choices; personally, I use the following rules/guidelines
                1- Unless I'm in a hurry, I chose the file with the largest size - i.e. highest video resolution. If in a hurry, I download both; one to preview/check the movie, the other to watch/keep
                Once I chose the size/quality, I take into consideration - it's not an "exact science"
                2- Number of Seeders/Leechers - higher, the better; however, I would not download software with abnormally high Seeder/Leecher ratio - i.e. too many Seeders for relatively few Leechers - because they may be infected
                3- The age of the BitTorrent i.e. I would prefer a month old torrent to a year old one; however, a month old may still be as "alive/active" as a week old torrent
                4- Check the comments to make sure that it's not garbage - very infrequent
                5- Make sure that it's the right language/subtitles combination - at times, if no subtitles are available, you can try opensubtitles.com
                Last edited by Siamanto; 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM.
                What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Thank you for the tips. The film marathon has begun.

Atonement - 10/10
                  Artistic and so beautifully shot; you can really tell the diretor, Joe Wright, poured his heart and soul into the film. I was completely drawn into the film within minutes and I especially loved the overall structure of the film. The ending crushed my heart and that's something that isn't common in film today. Incredible.

Crimes and Misdemeanors - 9/10
                  One of the very few films that can truly make you feel what each character is going through. It touches on loneliness, resentment, and above all, true love. Beautifully written and a classic like every other Woody Allen film.

- 10/10
                  I have heard the film takes several viewings to completely comprehend Fellini's emotions throughout the film. Beautiful filmmaking, not only for the structure, but for Fellini changing cinema with this film.

Comment

Well, la dee da. I didn't care much for Annie Hall (or Alvy Singer). But I like the scene where the children (Alvy's classmates) describe where they are now.

My favorite Woody Allen is Bullets Over Broadway. Maybe it's because Allen isn't in it?

Comment

Annie Hall is a great film as are the rest of Allen's films.

Comment

Working...
                      X