Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

I know pronounce you Chuck & Larry

I saw this movie at the theatre before & it was kinda lame.

But when I watched it again last night it was funny, anything with Adam Sandler in it is funny.

3 1/2 out of 5
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Kung Fu Panda (2008) A-
      A pleasant surprise. Far, far more enjoyable than WALL-E.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
        Kung Fu Panda (2008) A-
        A pleasant surprise. Far, far more enjoyable than WALL-E.
        Kung Fu Panda is funny up the ass

Comment

The Dark Night
          5/5.

One word: Excellent

Comment

The Wrestler 7/10
            Milk 7/10
            Frost/Nixon 8/10
            Gran Torino 9/10
            Revolutionary Road 9/10

Comment

Im planning to see Milk & Gran Torino this coming weekend.

Comment

Rest Stop
                3.5/5

Comment

Seven Pounds- 7.5/10

Comment

Would you guys mind posting a few sentences about what you liked/disliked about the film? It's something to read instead of just seeing numbers.

Comment

What did I watch since I have last posted? Lack of time, I will limit myself to brief, inelaborate comments; eluding movies, most likely, already covered; limiting myself to movies (that I consider) of cinematographic value - with one exception: Civanyan's Demandez la permission aux enfants, a pure entertainment movie????

Truffault's Tirez sur le pianiste featuring Aznavour, Richard Kanayan and Jean-Jacques Aslanian, as the Saroyan brothers - unrelated to the Armenian movie, Saroyan yeghpayrner@. It is an early Truffault, and far from being among my favorites (Truffaults); it is the story of a, once famous, piano player.
                      (In an interview, Aznavour expressed the opinion that the movie played a major role in his success in the US , as a singer; in fact, he stated something like: "They came to listen to a piano player at my first US appearance, in Carnegie Hall." )

Verneuil's Mayrig and it's sequel 588 rue paradis may/will fill with joy, sadness, anger and pride most Armenians, if not any, aware of our past, traditions, and sensitivities.

It's always a (visual) delight to watch Parajanov's The Legend of the Suram Fortress and Sayat Nova; I find the former slightly more "accomplished," from a photographic/graphical point of view. My only complaint is the (poor) quality of the DVD - analog TV quality - unable to properly render all the subtle details, and color balance/composition.

I was not utterly impressed by Guédiguian's Lady Jane, but I found the camera work more to my taste, compared to his previous movies - to be fair, I'll have to mention that Guédiguian purposely choses to shoot reality as it is, without "artistic sugar."

I have watched Civanyan's Demandez la permission aux enfants only because he's Armenian, the main (male) character is played by an Armenian, and it was on TV. It's not my cup of tea, and consider it of little "cinematographic value," but others may appreciate it; it is a comedy about how, in modern societies, children manipulate their parents.

I really enjoyed the artistic and graphic quality - lines, colors etc. - of the animated La prophétie des grenouilles, but I would not put it in the same league as Petrov's Moya lyubov
                      The soundtrack includes an Armenian traditional melody.

American History X is about skinheads and white "trailer thrashes" - I believe that the riffraff uses the word white "supremacist" to label itself; it depicts how the easily impressionable, in search for answers in a world perceived as "falling apart" - simply because changing - is manipulated by hateful, half literate "visionaries" who are nothing but megalomaniac, opportunistic, populist manipulators and demagogues who feed the easily impressionable with simplistic popular views, taking advantage of a certain "intellectual vacuum" within the community; the movie reminded me of how skinheads operate and recruit on some forums.

No Country for Old Men: Impressive and thought provoking, despite - or because - of the simple plot, and "intelligently" minimalistic/straightforward story telling. I found Bardem's performance impressive, more impressive than in Vicky Cristina Barcelona - probably already reviewed by One-Way and others????

Les diablesses, though a TV movie, is a high quality production: Photography, performance, and the story it tells: It relates the atrocities committed in religious institutions in the name of "normality" and "sanity" - needless to say that, in the movie, "sanity" does not characterize the behavior of the religious; of course, the parallel with Forman's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest seems obvious.

Claude Sautet's Max et les ferrailleurs is a classic: Though plotted as a detective/police story, it is a unusual love story between an unconventional/eccentric police officer, and an uncommon prostitute, initially chosen, by the former, as an instrument to manipulate her criminal friends

La discrète is another unusual love story; a playful movie where a writer accepts the challenge to seduce a woman who has nothing to inspire him, in order to stimulate his writing.

L'été meurtrier is an intricate psychological drama, in a sunny mediterranean setting; though Adjani's performance is convincing, but I believe that Emmanuelle Béart would have been a much better match for the role??? (Sorry TomServo, I've never been a fan of Adjani. )

Les âmes fortes by Ruiz is of high photographic/cinematographic value; the story may seem a bit esoteric to some - it is a Ruiz - and may not be to everybody's liking.

Ju Dou (China) is an early Zhang, and one of the first Chinese "New Wave" movies: A beautifully filmed love story in a rural setting, a composition of colors, architectural forms and human emotions, a conflict between traditions and reality.

Gomorra (Italy) is a thought provoking movie, about an Italy that is little known.

Andrei Zvyagintsev's Return (Russia) is of definite cinematographic value: Camera work, acting, story. If the memory of his second movie - Izgnanie - does not fail me, I enjoyed better the camera work/editing in Izgnanie, but the acting in Return.

Yeelen (Mali) may seem slow and surrealistic, because it is full of symbolism - just like a Parajanov movie.

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (S. Korea) is a work of quality, however, I have mixed feelings: There are several captivating and intense moments/scenes, enough substance, decent camera work, but I think that the story telling could be improved.

The Piano (Australia) is visually appealing, good performance, meaningful story

Happy New Year!

P.S.
                      This Belgian commercial was shot with a camera that captures about 10K frames/second, which allows an instant to be stretched over time without losing in details. The fly, from London, is a trained "actor," and survived the shooting. Of course, It's much more impressive when viewed on a large screen.
                      Last edited by Siamanto; 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM.
                      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X