Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Crank: High Voltage

4.5/5

Me and 6 of my friends were bored so we decided to go to Universal Studios and watch a movie. We wanted to get into a scary movie so we can make real funny noises and stuff but there was no good scary movie for it. So we decide to watch Crank. The movie was quite awesome and great. Although, I have to admit it wasn't quite good as the first one. There was a scene where they added a cartoon-y battle. Overall it was a great movie. The funny thing was there was people in front of us taking pictures before the movie started. Then when one of the characters stepped in everyone started clapping and I noticed the character in the movie was the same person sitting in front of us. We messed around in the beginning by screaming randomly and laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post
      State of Play

I was surprised at how much i actually like the film. For starters i didn't want to see it b/c I haven't really seen anything with Ben Affleck in it since Gigli. Secondly it's a political thriller, so you can always guess that all the deaths are gonna be related. That aside however the film is actually good, and even has suspenseful moments as well some comedic ones. The ending seemed kind of quick but it ties up all the loose ends. And the cast does an excellent job of executing their roles
      Despite your review, I'm still very skeptical about the film. It's got a pretty solid cast; I am pretty much a fan of all the actors minus Ben Affleck. I think he's a far better director than actor. It's also co-written by Tony Gilroy (The Bourne Trilogy, Michael Clayton) and Billy Ray, who did a great job with his film, Breach. However, I have a feeling this film is more along the lines of Gilroy's films, such as Duplicity.

I'll probably watch it down the line at some point but I'm definitely not anticipating a great film. Hopefully, it's not just a misleading trailer.

Comment

Is Anybody There?

I gained interest in this film when I read an article where Michael Caine said he was brought to tears when he first read the film's screenplay. I decided to do a little research on the film. I knew I had to see it when I realized it was directed by John Crowley, who directed Boy A, a very interesting and unique film. I think there were eight people in the theatre, which didn't surprise me much. Our general audience has a wider interest in films like 17 Again and Crank.

This film is a very nice approach to the understanding of death. The film follows Edward, a young boy growing up in a senior citizen's home, who is fascinated with what happens when you die. There, he meets and forms a unique relationship with Clarence, a retired magician. The film is surprisingly comedic at times, yet quieted during the last act as the film reaches true tragic proportions. Is Anybody There? will have you both laughing and crying, something cruely missing in today's cinema.

Rachel Getting Married

It's a very rare instance when a film will transport you into the world they have created right before your eyes. Rachel Getting Married tells the story of Kym, a recovering drug addict, who is granted permission to attend her sister's wedding. If you're anticipating a much more complex plot during the film, it never comes. The plot of the film is simple; however, the acquaintances and our feeling toward certain characters is where the film succeeds.

Rachel Getting Married is filmed quite unconventially, with handheld cameras very much like a documentary. This method allows us to be in the room with the characters as they approach each situation and problem with us. For this to work requires a brilliant screenplay, and that's where Jenny Lumet proves herself. Anne Hathaway deserved to win an Oscar over Kate Winslet's performance in The Reader, in my honest opinion. Her chemistry with her sister, mother and father are nothing short of amazing.
        Last edited by One-Way; 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Natalee Holloway

Based on a true story of a girl after graduating goes to Aruba with her friends & one day when there at a club she gets drunk & goes in a car & suddenly vanishes. At the end finding out that the guy put a date rape pill in her drink & dumped her body in the ocean whe she was yet alive.

4/5
          Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

10 Minutes (Short Film)

I've seen 10 Minutes many times over the past year or so, but my sister wanted me to put it on for my brother-in-law and his family to see. 10 Minutes is impressive in every aspect; the camera tracking is flawless and adds to the intensity of the film. The film is very real and the fillmmakers took an extremely simple yet complex apporach to get their story across.

Comment

The Hangover (Promotional Screening)

Warner Bros. Studios held a promotional screening for the upcoming comedy, The Hangover, directed by Todd Phillips. The Hangover tells the story of four friends who travel to Las Vegas for a bachelor party, and somehow misplace the groom-to-be two days before his wedding, during their drunken misadventures. They wake up, obviously hungover, trying to retrace their steps while figuring out just what exactly happened the night before.

Like I Love You, Man, I didn't find myself interested after viewing the trailer and didn't think I would be impressed. However, Todd Phillips did bring us Old School, so I still held some faith for this film. With all that said, I really enjoyed the first act of the film. I think they established the characters very nicely, particularly Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper. Many of the characters have been done before, an overprotective girlfriend (Rachael Harris) who often borders psycho. However, the relationship between Helms and Harris is actually quite hilarious and it's all pretty clear when we first meet them.

Since the film has a very simple plot, it begins to slow down during the second act. I felt like the dialogue became a little repetitive, especially when each of the characters kept emphasizing how they can't remember what happened the night before. I also felt like the storyline with Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) brought down the quality of the film. It suddenly felt like we stopped laughing at the boys and focused our attention on a crazy Asian man out to kill them. I loved Jeong's character in Knocked Up but his character in The Hangover was a tad bit annoying. There is, however, one very hilarious scene when he is sitting in the back of the car as he rolls the window up. When you see it, you'll know what I mean.

The Mike Tyson cameo felt a little out of place as well. I felt like it wasn't quite necessary, although it was pretty awkward/hilarious when they find a tiger in the bathroom. Random, but definitely well played by Cooper and Galifianakis. While I'm on the topic of Zach Galifianakis, I should probably note he definitely does steal the film. I've been hearing many people say he is going to make a very lasting impression, and while I don't quite believe that's entirely true, I would love to see more of him in the future. I also believe The Hangover was told in a better fashion than, say, I Love You, Man. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just believe it was constructed nicely. The first few minutes of the film features many famous songs which, for once, add to the film which gives it an interesting look. For example, the drive to Las Vegas and their arrival at Ceaser's Palace.

Overall, The Hangover features some solid peformances considering there aren't any real leading men in the film. Cooper, Helms, and Galifianakis do a superb job driving a backward story while pushing the film forward. Each character is quirky in his own way and it's definitely funny to see them feeding off each other. However, my main problem with the film was some of the storylines felt out of place and it would have been a funnier film if it were a little more simpler. I'd definitely recommend the film as a comedy and truly believe this could be a sleeper.
              Last edited by One-Way; 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Parks and Recreation was terrible. I only saw the pilot and I like Amy Poehler, but still... awful. Won't be giving it a chance.

Comment

I think the problem is you like Amy Poehler. That's pretty awful.
                  Last edited by One-Way; 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                    I think the problem is you like Amy Poehler. That's pretty awful.
                    Why? Along with Jane Krakowski, she is one of our best comediennes. But Krakowski is underused and Poehler doesn't seem to pick the right projects.

Comment

Adoration (Early Screening followed by discussion panel with Atom Egoyan, Scott Speedman, Rachel Blanchard and Devon Bostick)

Adoration tells the very complex story of Simon (Devon Bostick), a young orphan living with his uncle, Tom (Scott Speedman), who explores his family history through a class exercise assigned by Sabine (Arsinée Khanjian). Simon further explores his assignment as he begins looking for answers to his own questions about his deceased parents, Rachel (Rachel Blanchard) and Sami (Noem Jenkins).

Atom Egoyan carefully constructs this screenplay and resorts to familiar themes, many of which he has explored in the past. The subject matter of the film allows for an intriguing story. As Simon develops his assignment, we touch on familiar subjects of terrorism. His story goes on to spark an Internet audience and results in extreme controversy. Surprisingly, technology is a character of its own in this film, and is used as a tool which allows Simon to explore his family history.

Adoration is told in non-chronological order, much like the rest of Egoyan's films. The complexity of the film adds to the intensity, and using this technique allows Egoyan to effectively reveal a certain piece of information at a time, allowing the audience to piece together the overall story. As usual, we are left with a profound and powerful story in the conclusion of the film.

Scott Speedman's performance as Simon's uncle was simply breathtaking. His range of emotion as he personally deals with anger and frustration becomes mesmerizing. As an audience, you're able to feel his words as they pierce through and touch you; however, you're also able to see the pain in his eyes. His sad eyes also tell a complex story, one which we begin to explore in the third act of the film. Also noteworthy is Rachel Blanchard who beautifully plays Simon's deceased mother. Kenneth Welsh, Simon's grandfather, describes her as an angel in the film. Throughout the film, her presence resembles that of an angel's. Egoyan also cleverly explores Rachel's past, which gives the necessary depth to her character, in the third act of the film. The young and clearly very talented Devon Bostick does a superb job alongside these talents. Although Bostick is not as experienced, this only adds the necessary innocence to his character.

Atom Egoyan tells a powerful story, as always, which provides multiple viewings. In a surprise attempt, the film flirts with the possibility of being a thriller as well explore the complexity of the story. Adoration is beautifully crafted and sets a meaningful story in the rapidly evolving age of technology. Adoration deservedly won the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at Cannes in 2008 and is written, directed and produced by Atom Egoyan.

Comment

Working...
                      X