Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang 10/10

This movie, simply put, was a case of superlative delivery and filmmaking. The ending was creative and didn't fall short. Some may have gripes about it, but I felt it was powerful and well done. It was originally crafted and wonderfully executed. It is everything one can expect out of the "prison-chaingang" type movies. In fact, movies such as Papillon, or Cool Hand Luke, wouldn't have been what they were, had it not been for this movie. This movie started the whole "prison-chain gang-escaped convict" genre of movies. It set the standard.

Produced in 1932, it sets a regular World War I veteran played wonderfully by Paul Muni, who is returning home, to a stagnant society. A changed man who has seen war, he had matured and grown. However, his brother, who is a preacher, tries to boss him around. He tries to talk to him about "duty to your job". He tries to convince him to go back to work in the factory like before he left. This man is trying to find a new freedom, and a new life, only to be thrown back into the pit of redundancy, and routine, daily grind, uniformity like in the army. A man who wants to experience new euphorias and make decisions for himself, is butressed against his insensitive brother who cannot think outside of the tedium of routine, but more important an insensitive justice system and society which revolves around tedium.

Going from one job to another, city to city, he is a stealth character always on the move. With no permanant job, and nearly broke, he is wrongfully implicated in a restaurant robbery. And from then on the shackles are set. He is sent to a chain gang in some nameless southern state. He makes a radical escape and eventually fulfills his dream by becoming an engineer. Of course, freedom comes with a price, as he had the unfortunate luck of having made the deal with the devil who betrayed his identity. After landing back in the chain gang, he made another desperate second escape toward the end of the film. After that the movie focused on him only once in the dark, unshaven, dirty and desperate. He makes a final visit of goodbye to the woman he loves. The closing line has her asking him, "How do you live?" to which he replies, "I steal."

The movie is filmed wonderfully for its time, and those who are used to seeing modern "talking pictures", you will be thrown into a different style and era of film making. There is constant movement in the movie, following the main character. From his arrival home from war, to his travels in pursuit of his dream, to the chain gang, and to his escape, there is fluidity and it allows for the viewer to constantly inquire and keep up with interest. It doesn't lull you to sleep and never leaves any room to wander, but always achieves its goal of keeping you constantly immersed into the next corner the film will take. A hard-hitting style, the film's progression revolving around the life of the character ends powerfully.

You are allowed to chime in and witness the desperation of the main character to the point where at times you cannot help but feel anger toward public authority. More than anything the movie is a daring expose of ruthless public authority and a critique of the inflexible, insensitive justice system that doesn't understand the individual, his dreams, his life history, or for that matter, how he was wrongfully committed to a life of control. Filmed during the Depression years, and the growing Federal government, this movie was in line with several movies of the time that questioned the social mores as well as the institutions of law and order.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-30-2005, 10:44 PM.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

• Sin City ... what a piece of crap ... too much idiotic pointless worthless idiotic violence. Did I mention idiotic? The few moments of booby nudity were excellent though.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sip
        Sin City ... what a piece of crap ... too much idiotic pointless worthless idiotic violence. Did I mention idiotic? The few moments of booby nudity were excellent though.
        You're a fool, that movie was awesome. You just have no imagination.

By the way, I don't take you for a comic book guy. You wouldn't have liked it much.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anonymouse
          You're a fool, that movie was awesome. You just have no imagination.

By the way, I don't take you for a comic book guy. You wouldn't have liked it much.
          Yah I guess. It just didn't do it for me. Maybe I would have had a different reaction to it had I been familiar with the comic book.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sip
            Yah I guess. It just didn't do it for me. Maybe I would have had a different reaction to it had I been familiar with the comic book.
            Did you like Kill Bill?

Comment

• Lord of War 9/10

Comment

• Serenity - Not bad, it was a good time. If you liked Matrix, you'll like this. It's similar in a few ways, but much funnier and well-written compared to the other crap out lately.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by TomServo
                  Did you like Kill Bill?
                  No I'm not a big fan of Tarantino either.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomServo
                    Enough restrictions so that even the directors who developed the movement have broken them.
                    Because you take from it what you want and move on. What's your point?

Comment

• Sin City was a very fun movie but I won't consider it brilliant. Tarantino is fantastic and so are both of the Kill Bill films. That's brilliance.

Comment

Working...
                      X