Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is rap a bad influence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is rap a bad influence?
    yes it is.

that doesnt mean there is no such thing as good rap. there is. there isnt much, but it exists.. but the question is not related to the musical merit of rap music. does rap music have a generally negative influence on society? of course it does. more so than any other pop-cultural phenomenon, i could safely say.. violent behaviour, absolute full-of-oneself-ness, & the idea that disrespecting another person (or simply popping a cap in his sorry a$$) is the primary way to gain respect from others... what other medium could u use to condone such things with so much media attention? is it not proof enough that the leading rapper these days is also the one with metal teeth & the most bullet holes in his body?

it really doesnt take a genius.
    & its sad for fans of good rap music, but it really is the worst influence on pop culture in history, im afraid...

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
      Well, this song might not be about gang raping or rolling into town with 20" blades, but it's still far from really doing anything positive.
      Far From Doing Anything Really Positive???????

It's sending out a message to women that despite the type of lifestyle that they live, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep Ya Head Up.... you know?

It tells them that they can grow out of relationships where men treat them like crap and where they feel like they can't do anything about it. It tells them they can do something about it, because women have more power than they think, but are just blinded by the misguided love of a**holes.

This song also tells us that if you want to make a difference that you can and that all the violence around us is just temporary. That by keeping your head up and looking towards the future, there are better things out there ahead of you.

There isn't anything positive about that???

It doesn't take a whole album to make a difference. Sometimes, one song can have a greater impact than a whole album if you're smart enough to realize the messages/hidden messages from one song to the other.

Additionally, no matter what music you listen to...... only a fool would allow certain music to influence them. All of us have a mind of our own. All of us can think for ourselves. Sure, you can have songs evoke certain emotions, but only a moron would go and act out what the artist says or portrays.

In life, you have to be smarter and figure things out for yourself, rather than have guidence from entertainment sources that don't know any better.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2004, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Genuine_Stud
        Far From Doing Anything Really Positive???????

It's sending out a message to women that despite the type of lifestyle that they live, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep Ya Head Up.... you know?

It tells them that they can grow out of relationships where men treat them like crap and where they feel like they can't do anything about it. It tells them they can do something about it, because women have more power than they think, but are just blinded by the misguided love of a**holes.

This song also tells us that if you want to make a difference that you can and that all the violence around us is just temporary. That by keeping your head up and looking towards the future, there are better things out there ahead of you.

There isn't anything positive about that???
        Genuin, you apparently skipped over my very simple point. I know exactly what 2pac is saying in the song. What I'm saying is 2pac is full of shiit. He didn't give 2 fuks about women and their rights, or people getting out of hardship. If he did, he wouldn't have promoted and popularized the thug lifestyle. He wouldn't have been trying to prove he's "badder" than Biggy, or the hardest in the rap biz. Not to mention, we already know the hardships that people in the inner city/poverty stricken sectors of America go through. Keep yo head up means NOTHING to me. Keep your head up for what? What's the light at the end of the tunnel? The future is anything but bright for those people. How about exploring the mental reasons they get to that state, or how to get OUT of it? A true artist, or someone trying to deliver a message with an actual meaning would have pushed the envolope and delved into the psyche of people trapped into situations like this, or written about how a reality outside of what they have seen exists. Instead, these lyrics revolve around a simpleton recap for what we already know is going on, followed up with a chorus of keep your head up, not providing a TRUE reason why one in these circumstances should keep their head up. So, I ask again, how does this help, or provide anything positive? By positive, I mean provide an emotional effect that encourages change, not just saying "let me repeat what you go through, which everyone already knows, and then tell you your problems are magically going to go away if you just 'keep your head up'". That's the equavilent to saying "you smell really nice, today" when someone is feeling down.

Comment

Rap is crap, for the most part, but perhaps if we intellectualize rap, it would be a POSITIVE INFLUENCE!!!

Achkerov kute.

Comment

Not all rap is bad. I don't like gangster rap, but there are some that have many positive messages. Kanye West is my favorite rapper at the moment. His music is beautiful.

"Jesus Walks"

Yo, We at war
            We at war with terrorism, racism but most of all we at war with ourselves
            (Jesus Walks)
            God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
            (Jesus Walks with me) with me with me with me [fades]

You know what the Midwest is?
            Young & Restless
            Where restless Niggaz might snatch your necklace
            And next these Niggaz might jack your Lexus
            Somebody tell these Niggaz who Kanye West is
            I walk through the valley of Chi where death is
            Top floor the view alone will leave you breathless Uhhhh!
            Try to catch it Uhhhh! It's kinda hard hard
            Getting choked by the detectives yeah yeah now check the method
            They be asking us questions, harass and arrest us
            Saying "we eat pieces of xxxx like you for breakfast"
            Huh? Yall eat pieces of xxxx? What's the basis?
            We ain't going nowhere but got suits and cases
            A trunk full of coke rental car from Avis
            My momma used to say only Jesus can save us
            Well momma I know I act a fool
            But I'll be gone til November I got packs to move I Hope

[HOOK x2]
            (Jesus Walks)
            God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
            (Jesus Walks with me)
            The only thing that I pray is that me feet don't fail me now
            (Jesus Walks)
            And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
            (Jesus Walks with me)
            I want to talk to God but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long

To the hustlas, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
            To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah
            Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
            I know he hear me when my feet get weary
            Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
            We rappers are role models we rap we don't think
            I ain't here to argue about his facial features
            Or here to convert atheists into believers
            I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
            The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus
            So here go my single dog radio needs this
            They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
            That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
            But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
            Well let this take away from my spins
            Which will probably take away from my ends
            Then I hope this take away from my sins
            And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
            Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out

(Jesus Walks)
            God show me the way because the devil trying to break me down
            (Jesus Walks)
            The only thing that I pray is that me feet don't fail me now

The beat of this song is just unlike any other. D/L it and just listen carefully. It's really amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
              Is rap a bad influence? Yes. Phuck rap and everyone that listens to it.

Thanks... phuck you too.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
                You are not being fair dusken, although I do agree that most of the popular rap is nothing but a display of pompous behavior, pimping and a spew of the street language twhich lacks any coherence, there are a few artists which present rap in its true musical art form as it was meant to be: poetry and clever play of words. Consider artists like KRS-one, Mos Def, Slick Rick and Common, also Black Eyed Peas which have recently surfaced to the popular sector (unfortunately). Underground music has always been more respectful of the pure essence of a musical composition, where artists perform because of their passion not the billboards and the financial rank.
                I said "a majority of rap." You pretty much affirmed my post and added a few names.

Comment

Just about every friend I have listens to rap to some capacity.

Comment

I do not expect music to have any positive influence other than the apprecitation but I expect it not to have a negative one as well. Regardless of the lyrics, rap carries a culture with it that is negative and has its momentum already. The way the artists are presented and marketed has a lot to do with its influence. Any music, in my opinion, that diverts peoples priorities from anything productive is bad. Rap is not the only one either. I am against pop music as well. We have entire age groups of young girls between the ages of twelve to fifteen that are being raised by the lyrics presented by boybands and the like instilling in their minds that romantic relationships, breaking up, having sex, et cetera are more important than other aspects of life. We end with generations of young females that view life as if it were a teen movie. Phuck that too. And this is only social influences; let us not start with the current trends in heavy metal that promote plagiarizing and regression and undeserved, superficial fame for the sake of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
                      I do not expect music to have any positive influence other than the apprecitation but I expect it not to have a negative one as well. Regardless of the lyrics, rap carries a culture with it that is negative and has its momentum already. The way the artists are presented and marketed has a lot to do with its influence. Any music, in my opinion, that diverts peoples priorities from anything productive is bad. Rap is not the only one either. I am against pop music as well. We have entire age groups of young girls between the ages of twelve to fifteen that are being raised by the lyrics presented by boybands and the like instilling in their minds that romantic relationships, breaking up, having sex, et cetera are more important than other aspects of life. We end with generations of young females that view life as if it were a teen movie. Phuck that too. And this is only social influences; let us not start with the current trends in heavy metal that promote plagiarizing and regression and undeserved, superficial fame for the sake of fame.
                      and thus, he spoketh the truth...
                      Amen

Comment

Working...
                      X