Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hip Hop...top 5 right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHandle
    No doubt...guy got skills and on top of that has some crazy freestyles. I don't know why I never heard of him before...

I still think Mad Skillz has the best freestyles though...

and if you've never heard of Canibus...then you better get a couple of tracks from him right now...if you want lyrics then thats your guy.
    I actually have heard of Cannibus. I've heard the way he raps and all and his flow, delivery, and lyrics are all better than average. He sure has more talent than most of these chumps in commercial rap nowadays. I remember his beef with LL Cool J way back. He was pretty good.

Comment

Edit: Inappropriate.
      Last edited by loseyourname; 08-10-2004, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I am a rapper...

in the shower.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

My bunny hips and it hops.

Comment

Ok, let me water down my reply...

I think Armenians listening to "hip hop" is equally if not more lame then a person of "light" complextion listening to rap. Sorry, but everything in rap is about the "white man" oppressing the "black man", furthermore, rap is a negative influence on society and believe me I know becuase I experienced it first hand. Most of the reason Armenians in LA do the stuff that they do is because of the culturally degenerating music known as "rap".

Sorry, is that better for you? I never knew "$%@#" was a racial slur, but yet when rappers call one another "nigga" it is ok? What about when Armenians call one another "Armo" is that ok as well?

I have been listening to rap every since the early nineties and based on my own experience I do not consider it a "artform" and or "music". All they do is beat box a older "hit" and just add similar lyrics, however, if this may be appealing to you so be it.

If I had to decide on the best all time rappers and or most influential artists and producers I would have to pick...

1) Run DMC (Brought to Main Stream)
            2) KRS One (Perfected the Art of battling)
            3) Slick Rick ( Is just "dope")
            4) Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row ( Introduced Violence in Rap)
            5) Biggie/Tupac

Anyways, any "artistic expression" that hip-hop may have had went the way of the dodo a long time ago, nowadays, rap has become anything but "street music". This is why I refrain from even discussing the top 5 right now because everything after Biggies and Tupac is garbage.

However, in general, "rap" and "hip-hop" is "black music" and since Armenians are not "black" I see no logic behind them "bumping" rap unless of course they "wannabe" black.
            Last edited by Virgil; 08-10-2004, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil
              Ok, let me water down my reply...

I think Armenians listening to "hip hop" is equally if not more lame then a person of "light" complextion listening to rap. Sorry, but everything in rap is about the "white man" oppressing the "black man", furthermore, rap is a negative influence on society and believe me I know becuase I experienced it first hand. Most of the reason Armenians in LA do the stuff that they do is because of the culturally degenerating music known as "rap".

Sorry, is that better for you? I never knew "$%@#" was a racial slur, but yet when rappers call one another "nigga" it is ok? What about when Armenians call one another "Armo" is that ok as well?

I have been listening to rap every since the early nineties and based on my own experience I do not consider it a "artform" and or "music". All they do is beat box a older "hit" and just add similar lyrics, however, if this may be appealing to you so be it.

If I had to decide on the best all time rappers and or most influential artists and producers I would have to pick...

1) Run DMC (Brought to Main Stream)
              2) KRS One (Perfected the Art of battling)
              3) Slick Rick ( Is just "dope")
              4) Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row ( Introduced Violence in Rap)
              5) Biggie/Tupac

Anyways, any "artistic expression" that hip-hop may have had went the way of the dodo a long time ago, nowadays, rap has become anything but "street music". This is why I refrain from even discussing the top 5 right now because everything after Biggies and Tupac is garbage.

However, in general, "rap" and "hip-hop" is "black music" and since Armenians are not "black" I see no logic behind them "bumping" rap unless of course they "wannabe" black.
              Ok....

First of all, not everyone that listens to rap wants to be "wannabe" black or they bump it because they want to be wannabe black.

Second of all, whether you regard rap as an artform or not, there are people like myself that listen to it because we enjoy it for what it is. The music production it has and the talent that raps over it.

Thirdly, don't mix rap with hip hop. 2 seperate things. Hip hop is a culture form that entails DJ-ing, rapping, graffiti, and break dancing. RAP is a part of HIP HOP and not all aspects of hip hop involve violence as you can see.

Fourthly, all this post asked you to do was name your top 5 artists of hip hop. You didn't have to go into all of the political stuff behind why Armenians listen to hip hop. Many of us do... so just live with it.

Fifthly, I'm glad you listed your top 5, because as most people agree.... your top 5 are a few of the many well respected pioneers of rap. I like your selection.

Sixthly, rap after 2pac and Biggie is not all garbage. That's being close minded and only limiting yourself to what you're used to hear and since you claim that all Armenians that listen to rap want to be a "wannabe" black, do you consider yourself one for listening to the artists you listed?

Seventhly, keep an open mind to rap artists. There actually are a lot of talented artists that have evolved since Biggie and Pac. As Mad Handle and I were explaining, you WONT find that in the mainstream commercial rap you see on TV. You'll spot them in the semi-underground scene. If you're curious, one of the examples is the video that I posted up of Crooked I. Another example would be of the artists me, Mad Handle, and some other people posted in our lists. Search for them on google or yahoo and something if you want to open up your mind more towards this genre of music.

Other than that, everyone else.... please continue to post your top 5 artists in rap.

Comment

I am not going to comment and or derail the thread after this reply, cheers.

In short, you are already caught up in pop-culture because Hip-Hop and rap are very "popish" nowadays. Anyways, I will say that that genre started out fresh, but ended up being another hand job of corporate America. Nowadays, you have to be shot 10 times to be a "rap star".

However, do not try to hide the effects of rap underneath the blanket of a "art form" because it is not even close. I use to listen to that music when I was young, but now I realize how stupid it is. It is morally degenerating music in that it promotes violence, degrades women, and influences the use racial slurs based on the "backwards" logic of how it is ok if the person you say it to belongs to the same racial/ethnic group as yourself.

Anyways, I found it hypocritical that the mods would try and delete my post based on the fact that I used the word "wigger" when in fact rap lyrics use the word "nigga" more often then any Neo-Nazi. Also, the word "wigger" is not even a racial slur; however, since I do not want to offend "white" Africans I will not use this word.

If you agree with degrading Armenian women, calling one another Armos, and or violence then you have my blessings, but in no way is "rap" constructive towards the betterment of society.

Lastly, since this a "feel good" forum I will stop here because I have already made it clear how ridiculous it is for upper socioeconomic Armenian youth to listen to music that made, sold, and promoted by the lower socioeconomic class of America. Armenians having homes in suburban neighborhoods like Scott Rd. to Emerald Isle can in no way relate to the African-American that lives in the projects unless of course there is something I am missing? However, if you are truly "ghetto" and "gangsta" I would suggest you sell your homes and "Beemers" and move to a more rugged environment at least then you will truly be a "product of your environment".

Sorry, this may sound like a "rant", but I am sick of "wannabe" Paskahyes and Stances thinking they are this thugged out black man. Furthermore, I know "thugged out" Armenians and I do respect most of them, but most Armenians are not "thugged out", yes, they have "balls", but they are not "thugs" and or "gangstas", cheers.
                Last edited by Virgil; 08-11-2004, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil
                  I am not going to comment and or derail the thread after this reply, cheers.

In short, you are already caught up in pop-culture because Hip-Hop and rap are very "popish" nowadays. Anyways, I will say that that genre started out fresh, but ended up being another hand job of corporate America. Nowadays, you have to be shot 10 times to be a "rap star".

However, do not try to hide the effects of rap underneath the blanket of a "art form" because it is not even close. I use to listen to that music when I was young, but now I realize how stupid it is. It is morally degenerating music in that it promotes violence, degrades women, and influences the use racial slurs based on the "backwards" logic of how it is ok if the person you say it to belongs to the same racial/ethnic group as yourself.

Anyways, I found it hypocritical that the mods would try and delete my post based on the fact that I used the word "wigger" when in fact rap lyrics use the word "nigga" more often then any Neo-Nazi. Also, the word "wigger" is not even a racial slur; however, since I do not want to offend "white" Africans I will not use this word.

If you agree with degrading Armenian women, calling one another Armos, and or violence then you have my blessings, but in no way is "rap" constructive towards the betterment of society.

Lastly, since this a "feel good" forum I will stop here because I have already made it clear how ridiculous it is for upper socioeconomic Armenian youth to listen to music that made, sold, and promoted by the lower socioeconomic class of America. Armenians having homes in suburban neighborhoods like Scott Rd. to Emerald Isle can in no way relate to the African-American that lives in the projects unless of course there is something I am missing? However, if you are truly "ghetto" and "gangsta" I would suggest you sell your homes and "Beemers" and move to a more rugged environment at least then you will truly be a "product of your environment".

Sorry, this may sound like a "rant", but I am sick of "wannabe" Paskahyes and Stances thinking they are this thugged out black man. Furthermore, I know "thugged out" Armenians and I do respect most of them, but most Armenians are not "thugged out", yes, they have "balls", but they are not "thugs" and or "gangstas", cheers.
                  You need to stop listning to "commercial rap". Like I said before, commercial rap is exactly what the name says...commercial. Chingy, 50 cent, ect...are not what rap/hiphop is mostly about and their skills are garbage. For example, 50 cent got shot 9 times...thats intersting for "suburban" kids. Yes, mainstream rap today is basically designed for the burbs...the "streets" have what you call a mixtape or underground artists that most people never heard of.Actually you can get better quality artist from sites like soundclick.com . People who truly understand rap/hiphop don't lisnt to today's commercial garbage, basically cause its about nothing...

And who said rap/hiphip was just for black people? A white guy created and played basketball...does that make it a white man's sport? The answer is no cause sports and music don't have color. If your good at what you do...then I don't see a problem in that.

And I don't think rap or hiphop is a negative influece on people...I mean I been listning to rap since I was young. Economically I was always below par and still am...I mean anyone who recently moved from Armenia will and most of my friends are not suburb and we did live in project type units...but hearing about things through rap/hiphop didn't make us do the things we heard. There are more "negative" infulences on people then rap...trust me I know.

Comment

You say you respect Armenian thugs, yet think Armenians listening to Rap music is ridiculous? Ok...
                    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
                      You say you respect Armenian thugs, yet think Armenians listening to Rap music is ridiculous? Ok...
                      No, that is not what I said. I respect anyone that has a lived a difficult life and would never judge anyones decisions unless I walked in their shoes. However, in the case of some Armenians they have not lived a "ghetto" life. Most come from middle-class familes that own homes and drive beemers. I respect those "thugs" that have actually lived the life depicted by "rappers", however, a Paskahye and or Stance that lives in Glendale or North Hollywood is not a Thug.

Armenians need to get out of the "slave mentality" of thinking they are a minority because by law they are not and economically they live a life that is far from the life of a minority.

Yes, I do consider Armenians listening to rap ridiculous. However, I do not want to discuss this any further because it is no use. One day you will learn that listening to rap is stupid and the message is anything but motivational. Other then generating hatred, contempt, envy, and in general "negativity" it is no use.

If you are honest with yourself, truly listen to the lyrics and write them down then read the lyrics outload because by time you finish reading the lyrics you will see that outside of the back beat, Rap, as a "artform" is BS.

And who said rap/hiphip was just for black people? A white guy created and played basketball...does that make it a white man's sport? The answer is no cause sports and music don't have color. If your good at what you do...then I don't see a problem in that.
                      First of all do not compare sports to music, however, basketball is a gay sport compared to soccer, but again sports and music is like apples and oranges.

No, Akeem the African Dream, Rap is considered as a "black man's" cultural music and no I am not picking on rap because it is "black music" because I listen to Blues as well as rock, which are influenced by "black" musicians as much as "white" musicians, but blues and rock requires talent.

However, the messages in rap are only relavent to the listener if they are racially "black". Just the fact that one of Tupac's albums was entitled "Strictly For My Niggas" should send a signal to you middle-class, "Beemer" driving, and home owning Armenians that rap is meant for African-Americans because only African-Americans can relate to the "white man's" oppresion or are you telling me that you have been oppressed by the "white man" as well?

Anyways, I am not going to argue for the sake of argument. It is no use anyway, the Armenian mentality has already degenerated into a slave mentality.

Yeah, so let us continue this discussion like I never said anything, cheers!
                      Last edited by Virgil; 08-11-2004, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X