Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Protests continue after Ayatollah's warning: Protesters beaten, tear-gassed in street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Protests continue after Ayatollah's warning: Protesters beaten, tear-gassed in st

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Are you that naive to believe that young people actually form political views by themselves if nobody informs them? lol
    Sigh....once again, you're bringing up something that is irrelevant. We're talking about the end goals and wishes of the protesters since you claimed the protesters had already achieved their desired goals. How they got to those goals or opinions or views is another discussion.

Comment

Re: Protests continue after Ayatollah's warning: Protesters beaten, tear-gassed in st

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
      Sigh....once again, you're bringing up something that is irrelevant. We're talking about the end goals and wishes of the protesters since you claimed the protesters had already achieved their desired goals. How they got to those goals or opinions or views is another discussion.
      <sigh> As I stated, their goals were achieved by getting the west to support and cover their uprising. They can't put someone into power who doesn't belong there. However, the west did not intervene like they had hoped. In other words, they wasted their time and energy for nothing.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

<sigh> As I stated, their goals were achieved by getting the west to support and cover their uprising. They can't put someone into power who doesn't belong there. However, the west did not intervene like they had hoped. In other words, they wasted their time and energy for nothing.
        1. You still haven't made clear to me what you think the goals of the protesters are.

2. I thought Mousavi was already supported by the West? Why would the opposition create a goal to "get support" from the West if they already had it? Also, what do you mean by "cover their uprising".

3. If Mousavi was supported fully by the West, as you claim, then why wouldn't the West put guns into the hands of the protesters to insure revolution and victory? Why would the West go around shooting young girls in hopes of attracting International sympathy, which in the end does nothing.

Comment

1. You still haven't made clear to me what you think the goals of the protesters are.

2. I thought Mousavi was already supported by the West? Why would the opposition create a goal to "get support" from the West if they already had it? Also, what do you mean by "cover their uprising".

3. If Mousavi was supported fully by the West, as you claim, then why wouldn't the West put guns into the hands of the protesters to insure revolution and victory? Why would the West go around shooting young girls in hopes of attracting International sympathy, which in the end does nothing.
          1) They oppose the current administration who they believe is responsible for the poor economy, joblessness, etc. Obviously they aren't too connected with the rest of world where unemployment is also rampant. They think that everyone in the west is rich and happy and live perfect lives according to the hollywood movies they watch. I don't know what promises Mousavi made during his campaign but I don't see how he's much different than his counterpart.

2) The west always supports the opposition when there is someone in power who they can't manipulate or bribe to their liking. Any unrest is welcomed by western politicians. Why has the media put so much focus on the events in Iran? Why not cover the Tamil tigers? There are far worse atrocities going on in the world.

3) Why has the death of one girl been so widely covered? A martyr? Come on, its ridiculous.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

1) They oppose the current administration who they believe is responsible for the poor economy, joblessness, etc. Obviously they aren't too connected with the rest of world where unemployment is also rampant. They think that everyone in the west is rich and happy and live perfect lives according to the hollywood movies they watch. I don't know what promises Mousavi made during his campaign but I don't see how he's much different than his counterpart.

2) The west always supports the opposition when there is someone in power who they can't manipulate or bribe to their liking. Any unrest is welcomed by western politicians. Why has the media put so much focus on the events in Iran? Why not cover the Tamil tigers? There are far worse atrocities going on in the world.

3) Why has the death of one girl been so widely covered? A martyr? Come on, its ridiculous.
            1. So what do you think the protesters want?

2. The media has put emphasis on Iran because it's what people are asking them to do. Remember the weekend when all this started? Nobody was covering it in a serious way and the public went apexxxx, everybody was forced to read blogs(like me, i resorted to reading the Huffington Post all day) and we were all pissed off the news channels were all covering things like Jon and Kate.

3. It's been widely covered because the media realizes the effect it had on people and is treating it like any other story they feel has a big effect on people. The first time I saw the clip of Neda, it wasn't on the news, it was online and I felt the video would never leave the internet and it would be just another thing the MSM chooses not to cover, fortunately, I was wrong and the MSM decided to cover it.

Comment

1. So what do you think the protesters want?

2. The media has put emphasis on Iran because it's what people are asking them to do. Remember the weekend when all this started? Nobody was covering it in a serious way and the public went apexxxx, everybody was forced to read blogs(like me, i resorted to reading the Huffington Post all day) and we were all pissed off the news channels were all covering things like Jon and Kate.

3. It's been widely covered because the media realizes the effect it had on people and is treating it like any other story they feel has a big effect on people. The first time I saw the clip of Neda, it wasn't on the news, it was online and I felt the video would never leave the internet and it would be just another thing the MSM chooses not to cover, fortunately, I was wrong and the MSM decided to cover it.
              1) I think they just want a better outlook for the future, maybe avoid confrontation with US/Israel which they believe is inevitable with Ahmedinejad in power.

2) How would they know that's what people want when the majority of the western people have no clue about Iran? Aside from the Iranian diaspora, your regular run of the mill westerner doesn't know a thing about the country.

3) Why pick the woman? There was more than one death. Perhaps she was attractive....

Comment

1) I think they just want a better outlook for the future, maybe avoid confrontation with US/Israel which they believe is inevitable with Ahmedinejad in power.

2) How would they know that's what people want when the majority of the western people have no clue about Iran? Aside from the Iranian diaspora, your regular run of the mill westerner doesn't know a thing about the country.

3) Why pick the woman? There was more than one death. Perhaps she was attractive....
                1. So they want Mousavi in power? Correct?

2. They knew they had to cover it because all the viewers they depended on were complaining and they were losing them. For example, on the Saturday that it all started to happen, everybody on the Huffington Post comments section was complaining about channels like CNN not covering it. They were losing viewers and had no choice but to put it in high gear once Monday rolled around.

3. Because the video of Neda is the one that stirred up the most emotions. I had seen a lot of other videos and it wasn't the same with the Neda video. The media didn't "Pick" that video for the public, the public picked it for the media.

Comment

There is no conspiracy for crying out loud. It just happened, no one planned it to happen. Someone just got really angry at the protesters and shot one, its happened so many times before (even in western nations) and if you looked at the size of the protests its not surprising someone got killed especially when the police, etc were trying to break the protests up.

If the US wanted to insight trouble in Iran it would be far bigger than just a few protests, more like a military invasion. I doubt the US and Israel would waste their time giving a damn about the Iranian government, whoever wins in their eyes is still the enemy.
                  Last edited by hipeter924; 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                    There is no conspiracy for crying out loud. It just happened, no one planned it to happen. Someone just got really angry at the protesters and shot one, its happened so many times before (even in western nations) and if you looked at the size of the protests its not surprising someone got killed especially when the police, etc were trying to break the protests up.

If the US wanted to insight trouble in Iran it would be far bigger than just a few protests, more like a military invasion. I doubt the US and Israel would waste their time giving a damn about the Iranian government, whoever wins in their eyes is still the enemy.
                    There is a media conspiracy. The "Dr." that the media refers to was a novelist and fiction writer... not a practicing medical doctor.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/0...bc-062509.html

I really don't trust the Dr.'s role in all this... who end's up in the UK a couple days later and gives a nice long interview.
                    Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-28-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Re: Protests continue after Ayatollah's warning: Protesters beaten, tear-gassed in st

Iran confirms Ahmadinejad victory

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was officially returned for a second term
                      Iran's top electoral body, the Guardian Council, has confirmed the victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the presidential election after a partial recount.

News of the decision, which comes after a series of protests by the opposition against what it says was a rigged ballot, was announced by state TV.

The 12-strong council is the most influential body in Iran and is currently controlled by conservatives.

Some 17 people are thought to have died during opposition street protests.

"The secretary of the Guardian Council in a letter to the interior minister announced the final decision of the Council... and declares the approval of the accuracy of the results of... the presidential election," the state broadcaster said.

A partial recount of the election carried out on Monday showed no irregularities in the vote, Iran's English-language Press TV television station added, according to Reuters news agency.

Mr Ahmadinejad was officially re-elected with 63% of the vote on 12 June.

His main challenger, Mir Hossein Mousavi, has said the whole election should be annulled and held again.

Reports say there were clashes on Monday in central Tehran between opposition demonstrators trying to form a human chain and security forces.

Red lines

The Guardian Council ruled earlier that any irregularities in the polling would not affect the result but its partial recount on Monday was expected to pave the way for the formal confirmation of President Ahmedinejad's victory, the BBC's Jeremy Bowen reports from Tehran.

Iran's crisis since the presidential election has taken the Islamic Republic into new and unknown territory, our correspondent says.

All sorts of red lines have been crossed, with unprecedented public condemnation of the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamanei, he adds.

Iran has been left with a divided ruling elite that has been having a public quarrel, our correspondent says.

During the mass rallies a broad-based opposition coalition emerged.

It did not have effective leadership so the authorities were able to take the initiative back, helped by a security crackdown and hundreds, some say several thousand, arrests.

The people who took to the streets are still angry about what happened, our correspondent adds, and the authorities must fear that anger, because it could explode again.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
                      X