Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Equality for Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Equality for Women

Originally posted by Armanen
    Well they wouldn't use race for socio-political reasons and because the uber-liberals have convinced enough people that race is a social contruct, as in race doesn't exist.
    But they also claim that gender differences are social constructs. So even according to their own principles (much less according to reason), they are full of sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
      This also highlights a wider problem: Its okay to emphasize the inherent genetic differences between men and women when its women who benefit. Child custody laws also reflect this. Try highlighting the inherent genetic differences in other spheres such as employment, education, structure of the nuclear family, and all of a sudden, "science" turns into "sexism".

This is part of the larger reason why I think western civilization is basically on its last leg.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Even if it's nurture and not nature; a difference is a difference, no? I mean whether a difference between groups is caused by x or y is a separate issue. For instance, whether men are a bigger risk because of x y or z isn't so relevant to insurance companies as the fact that there is a difference. So, even if differences exist due to varying social influences, it doesn't change the fact that the difference exists.

Also, this is tangential, and I'm not trying to change the topic of discussion here, but I always hear guys talking about the unfairness of custody rulings... Has anyone actually looked at the law? I have not, but I wonder if the law itself favors women (unjustly) or if it's just that the application of the law favors women for proper reasons. E.g. If it's mostly women who are the primary caregivers, then isn't it proper for them to have custody? I think most of these cases actually award joint custody so both parents have rights, but the children just live with the mothers primarily.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
          Even if it's nurture and not nature; a difference is a difference, no?
          The way we nurture does not exist in a vacuum: It is based on nature.

Comment

Originally posted by yedtarts View Post
            they should also consider who were, or what was the causes of these accidents.
            Let’s say men are more likely gets involved in accidents, but usually when having sex while driving it’s men who does the driving. When women are driving with their husbands, husbands don’t bittch them till they arrive to their destination, they would be looking out checking chicks and agreeing to everything thier wives are telling them. The opposite is true when men are driving with their wives beside them, women will bring out things that happened 2-3 years before and bittch about them, then they will criticize their men on everything they do, “why did you take this road the other one is shorter”, “see if you have taken the other road, the one that i always take we wouldn’t be in this traffic right now” and it goes on and on. I think that’s why men are more involved in accidents then women.
            lol!
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
              Even if it's nurture and not nature; a difference is a difference, no? I mean whether a difference between groups is caused by x or y is a separate issue. For instance, whether men are a bigger risk because of x y or z isn't so relevant to insurance companies as the fact that there is a difference. So, even if differences exist due to varying social influences, it doesn't change the fact that the difference exists.

Also, this is tangential, and I'm not trying to change the topic of discussion here, but I always hear guys talking about the unfairness of custody rulings... Has anyone actually looked at the law? I have not, but I wonder if the law itself favors women (unjustly) or if it's just that the application of the law favors women for proper reasons. E.g. If it's mostly women who are the primary caregivers, then isn't it proper for them to have custody? I think most of these cases actually award joint custody so both parents have rights, but the children just live with the mothers primarily.
              More sexism... women who don't breast feed and let the men get up in the middle of the night to make the formula shouldn't be considered primary care givers but the courts don't really care who was the primary care giver.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
                The way we nurture does not exist in a vacuum: It is based on nature.
                Yes, believe me (I'm in psych) I'm aware that the answer to the question 'which is it?', is more often than not both.
                I think the point remains though that often in application, the why is comparitively unimportant.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I didn't see the rest of your post aside from the part I quoted. You must have added it while I was responding.

First of all I disagree with your implication that the root of gender differences is purely social. Yes, they are translated into social differences. But I think the root is genetic, and many of the social constructs we have are manifestations and expressions of genetic differences. Not all, but the most fundamental ones at least.

Back to insurance rates... I never actually disagreed that men engage in more risky behavior than women, although this in itself is a rather vague statement and needs more details to justify how it pertains to driving. I just don't like how many legitimate factors affecting driving skill which favor men like hand-eye coordination & focus are not part of these "scientific" studies.

I was also trying to apply this logic universally. If you agree there are differences between sexes and that these translate into social differences in some spheres (insurance rates), then why is it such a stretch to apply it to other spheres like employment, education and the structure of the nuclear family, where these differences make a more profound difference?

It also opens up the whole can of worms about race. If we can target gender differences, whats to stop us from targeting another genetic factor like race? If Blacks are found to be more aggressive it means they are at greater risk for road-rage, which causes many accidents. Maybe Blacks should pay higher premiums? It would not deviate one bit from the current policy. The only deviation is that of political correctness which, in contrast to sex/gender and race, is a purely social construct.

Comment

Well, there was a news article many many years ago that the dry cleaners were charging women customers
                    more than the men! There were similar shirts test done on a few stores.

I know, that was then and this is now.

Auto insurance is high where ever you go. Regardless.

Just my opinion. I know someone will comment and correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by Christina View Post
                      Well, there was a news article many many years ago that the dry cleaners were charging women customers
                      more than the men! There were similar shirts test done on a few stores.

I know, that was then and this is now.

Auto insurance is high where ever you go. Regardless.

Just my opinion. I know someone will comment and correct me.
                      Mechanics will definitely take advantage of women if they appear as though they don't know anything about cars.

Comment

Working...
                      X