Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Someone please tell me what the hell is the point of anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arvestaked Are your school mates too young for you because you feel they are immature though they are you age or did you go into school late?

I know I have a problem seeing my peers as equals and always tend to gravitate toward older people. Unfortunatley, women tend not to date younger men.
    I fear if I answer your question i'm going to be bombarded with suggestions that I private message you instead in order to spare the other forumers from being bored to death.

Oh well, i'll answer it anyway.

I am not that much older than my school peers, age-wise. Actually there are a few in my class who are older than me. But this being a community college class I am taking it is filled with people who either have just started taking college courses after high school, or have been stuck there for a while still getting through their AA degrees, or have decided to take a second career and need to start back from square one. As for me, I guess I tend to be a 'snob' school-wise because I graduated from usc when I was 20 and am now just taking extra classes that will look good on my graduate school resume. Hence, they are 'younger' than me maturity-wise, 'place in their life'-wise, not necessariy age-wise. Age is all relative anyway. Isn't it?

Yeah, I know guys, booooooooooring. Sorry!
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

It's not boring at all.
      Again I have very similar feelings though I am actually a highschool drop-out and a college drop out.
      Don't completely underestimate who's around you. I'm guilty of that and it has backfired. When I went to CC I was there for reasons like those you mentioned but who is to say there aren't people there that are like me.
      Congratulations on your academic success, by the way. Where will you attend graduate school and what will you study?

Comment

Ck, in response to your initial post...

That is the age old question. What's the point of life? I ask that to myself every single day. As Arvestaked so bluntly pointed out, the point of life is reproduction. So what happens when you DO find that special someone? You're bound to ask this question at some time after that also. You see, we as humans are blessed and doomed at the same time. We understand and question and ponder on things that simpler animals do not, such as the point of life and death.

The thing is, if you look at life from an objective point of view (birth > struggle > reproduction > struggle > death), you're bound to lose interest. If you want to be logical about it, suicide is the way. Wow, I'm sounding more morbid by the second . The trick is to look at it from the subjective perspective. Suicide is also the way for the weak.

Now we may never know if there is that extra reason for us being here on earth. Unfortunate for us, we have not yet found it, but if we do, I fear it will be worse...for knowledge is a curse. The more you know and understand, the more miserable you become, such as my animal example.

Whatever we have, we always want more - human nature at its finest. So what is going to happen after we accomplish all that we ever desired to accomplish (successful career, finding a mate, having kids, raising those kids, etc...)?

I know that my response is not the most joyful one, but I didn't feel like sugar-coating it, hehehe. Anyway, enjoy what life has to offer. Enjoy today, not the promise of tomorrow, for it might not be there. Although I give you this advice, I have yet to follow it myself .

Comment

Arvestaked... I don't underestimate them. What I meant really was that they all seem to be very geared towards getting good grades, like I was when I did the undergrad thing. Whereas I am now at the stage where I would much rather go out than spend an extra few hours studying in order to get an A instead of an A-. Make sense?
          Anyway I am only taking one class, 90% of which is filled with girls.

I think success in school is not the greatest thing ever. There is one girl in the class who is 24 and has been around the world and experienced so much, and in my opinion achieved much more that I have done because all I did was stick it out through some difficult classes. I'm sure there are plenty more like her there too. I think the school/educational experience can not be compared to the experience you get outside of the classroom. I much more value the willingness that certain people have to learn things, than I value intelligence. Some people test well and are book smart. Who cares when they don't have the ability to interact well outside of the classroom. right?. Anyone can pick up a book and memorize a few lines if they really need/want to. I can honestly say that even though I am in the field I studied in college, the only thing the four years of school taught me were how to study and manage my time (and I STILL suck at that, look I'm still posting instead of studying), and how to interact in interpersonal/social relationships. Everything I do at work I learned at work.

Anyway. I lost my train of thought and I have to go. I will try to answer your question later....
          The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug I can honestly say that even though I am in the field I studied in college, the only thing the four years of school taught me were how to study and manage my time (and I STILL suck at that, look I'm still posting instead of studying), and how to interact in interpersonal/social relationships. Everything I do at work I learned at work.
            I really like this...SO DAMN TRUE! My dad told me the same exact thing about how he acquired knowledge for his job, and what college really taught him.

Comment

Thanks people. That was insightful. Bye now....

Comment

The only thing I can tell you is that the point begins with the self, self development, self realization, and spiritual transcendence.

FOCK DA REST MON!
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Have you ever just not wanted to BE anymore? Escape it all and disappear into a vast nothingness where you didn't have to see people, but you didn't have to be alone, or worry about bills you can't pay, or do any kind of homework/studying at all? Where you could just be minus everything that sucks here. Where there was no one to miss and no one else to constantly annoy you and you didn't have to live a lie of trying to be perfect and pleasing every one all the time when you know in your heart you're not anywhere near perfect? Where you could be yourself by actually finding out who that self really was living inside of you? Where you didn't have to get up and be bothered by anything, where life didn't make sense because there was nothing to make sense of? Where you could escape pain and worry and loneliness and fear and venture off into nothing at all? Where you didn't have to wait to be happy because there was nothing to be happy for?

Sometimes when things seem overwhelming and hopeless and bad I find myself in a 'wishing the world would be consumed in a ball of flames' mood. How sad.

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug Have you ever just not wanted to BE anymore? Escape it all and disappear into a vast nothingness where you didn't have to see people, but you didn't have to be alone, or worry about bills you can't pay, or do any kind of homework/studying at all? Where you could just be minus everything that sucks here. Where there was no one to miss and no one else to constantly annoy you and you didn't have to live a lie of trying to be perfect and pleasing every one all the time when you know in your heart you're not anywhere near perfect? Where you could be yourself by actually finding out who that self really was living inside of you? Where you didn't have to get up and be bothered by anything, where life didn't make sense because there was nothing to make sense of? Where you could escape pain and worry and loneliness and fear and venture off into nothing at all? Where you didn't have to wait to be happy because there was nothing to be happy for?
                    I'm willing to bet that you just unknowingly described death, hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs I'm willing to bet that you just unknowingly described death, hehehe.
                      Except for this part "Where you could be yourself by actually finding out who that self really was living inside of you?" Because I guess after death we're not conscious enough to figure that out

Maybe what's called for is a little less death, a little more vacation from life. Why can't we do that, bombarded with, yech, responsibility as we are. No time to take a break from life. Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                      X