Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Life Complete or Death & Answers

The Road Not Taken -- Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Here is the question.......

You can go down two roads, the first road contains the answer to all of life's questions, and when you learn them you'll die. If you travel down this road you will have the answer to every question you've ever had: God, evolution, how did we get here, truth, free will, determinism, why is there evil, what is good, where are we going from here, why do people have to die, why did my bf cheat on me. From the most thought provoking questions that keep philosophers up at night, to the most mundane unimprtant things you can think of. You find out the answer to everything that is you and life, place in life, life's origins, the reasonings behind it, EVERYTHING will be answered. Walking down this road will be like living your ENTIRE life reading book after book, story after story, article after article, digesting it all, understanding it and moving on to the next thing and all the while making more and more and more questions in your head, all that will be answered at the last moment of your life. Answers that will basically lead you to your dying breath. This road will be your entire life spent questioning EVERYTHING. The walk down this road wont be an easy one, but at the end you will know all. Answers to all the questions you've ever had, you'll be enlightened like none other. Like this big enormous light bulb goes ON all of a sudden and you know EVERYTHING you've ever wanted to know. You breathe a sigh of relief, FINALLY, then lie down, rest easy, and die.

The other road contains everything else one can work for (or work toward, work to achieve) in life. By that I mean you come to realize full hapiness in this material world of ours. Don't get me wrong, such as life is, this road wont be an easy peice of cake either. But, as life tends to get better, you take the hard times with the good and you you get what you work toward, or if you don't get exactly everything you want, lets just say hard work pays off, as it does in life.... You get your happiness with a woman (or man), family, a healthy mix of schooling and fun. Education (if this is what you want). Surrounded by friends and family. People you can debate with and enjoy talking to and arguing with for hours if need be. You have a life, productive work, a family, you don't lose yourself in the quest for answers, you use it to pepper your life. You might be interested as to what are the answers to all those questions in our life, and maybe even you're SO interested that your work consists of reading and writing books on the topic or exploring something about how all these questions have affected/effected history, life... but it doesn't kill you, it makes you a more interesting and complete person. It is the spice of your life, not the reason for it. It is a life as complete as any may be in this world. Life and contentment with it flows over like a cup too full of wine. You work hard and play hard and think hard and love lots and just have the ability to take the good with the bad. Basically, your stay here on earth is a good one when finally you close your eyes to go to the next place. However, you die without ever knowing any of the answers to your questions. You've toyed with the questions, picked them up and put them down, wondered about them aloud and in your mind, but they are never answered. This doesn't make you terribly upset, because, well, look at the life you've lived...

Which road would YOU walk down?
    Last edited by ckBejug; 01-08-2004, 08:53 PM.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by ckBejug
    You can go down two roads, the first road contains the answer to all of life's questions, and when you learn them you'll die. If you travel down this road you will have the answer to every question you've ever had: God, evolution, how did we get here, truth, free will, determinism, why is there evil, what is good, where are we going from here, why do people have to die, why did my bf cheat on me. From the most thought provoking questions that keep philosophers up at night, to the most mundane unimprtant things you can think of. You find out the answer to everything that is you and life, place in life, life's origins, the reasonings behind it, EVERYTHING will be answered. Walking down this road will be like living your ENTIRE life reading book after book, story after story, article after article, digesting it all, understanding it and moving on to the next thing and all the while making more and more and more questions in your head, all that will be answered at the last moment of your life. Answers that will basically lead you to your dying breath. This road will be your entire life spent questioning EVERYTHING. The walk down this road wont be an easy one, but at the end you will know all. Answers to all the questions you've ever had, you'll be enlightened like none other. Like this big enormous light bulb goes ON all of a sudden and you know EVERYTHING you've ever wanted to know. You breathe a sigh of relief, FINALLY, then lie down, rest easy, and die.

Which road would YOU walk down?
    I would take that road. Essentially you are either of the spiritual persuasion or the materialist. I believe God made us of both animal body, yet at the same time, a spirit. We are hopelessly condemned to death, we have bodies that decay, and we xxxx from an anus ( the most telling of our animal body releasing wastes ), yet at the same time, we are all individuals, with our own name and life history, and seeking the same satisfactions and answers that the peasants wondered gazing at the stars on a Babylonian summers night, and in a bar in Ostia, or the slaves under the Pharoah.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by Anonymouse Essentially you are either of the spiritual persuasion or the materialist.
      I disagree. The second road was not so much a road of materialism. It had more to do with "leading a life" instead of trying to understand why you are alive.

The first road allows no family, friends or conversations. Sure, you would understand what life means (if there is a meaning), but then again, you didn't really live a life, right? You couldn't, for example, ask about "why your boyfriend cheated on you" because you would never have had time to have a boy/girlfriend to start with.

I'd take the second road. I wanted to be surrounded by people I love, by friends, etc. Sure, if the answer to "why we are alive" drops by some day, I'll take it. But, as lazy as it might make me sound, I'd rather LIVE my life then find out what I missed out on.

Comment

Well, well, well. I know it's my own question but I'm not taking either of the roads. they are both too enticing. I am grabbing a machete and chopping my way down through the forest right at the middle.
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug Well, well, well. I know it's my own question but I'm not taking either of the roads. they are both too enticing. I am grabbing a machete and chopping my way down through the forest right at the middle.
          I would think that the second road is actually the middle of both extremes, as it allows you to search for answers, but not be obsessed by it. The first road however, seems to be more of an extreme.

But what a waste of time would the first road be if God ends up explaining the whole thing to you once you die anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants IBut what a waste of time would the first road be if God ends up explaining the whole thing to you once you die anyways.
            Don't worry Baron, I think I'll visit the second road often, even from my middle ground. I am far too much of a hopeless romantic not to. But damned if I'm not also too curious for my own good. I wonder what the point of questioning things is, there seems to be a purpose we have here, we're given a certain amount of intelligence, smarts if you will and this intense wish to learn and find out more more, but it seems the answers are always too far out of our grasp. Funny you should mention that God explaing things to you thing. i was thinking that myself. Wishful thinking maybe? perhaps. I guess we can't say anything but we'll see.....

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug Don't worry Baron, I think I'll visit the second road often, even from my middle ground. I am far too much of a hopeless romantic not to. But damned if I'm not also too curious for my own good. I wonder what the point of questioning things is, there seems to be a purpose we have here, we're given a certain amount of intelligence, smarts if you will and this intense wish to learn and find out more more, but it seems the answers are always too far out of our grasp. Funny you should mention that God explaing things to you thing. i was thinking that myself. Wishful thinking maybe? perhaps. I guess we can't say anything but we'll see.....
              But then again, don't those questions come up while you're living life? I mean, if you haven't had or experienced family, friends, jobs, education, break-ups, responsibilities, death of relatives and so on, would the quest for answers still be there? Will you even ask yourselves the questions?

eeeeeuuuuuuuuf, khelks dagnoovra erir ha!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by Baron Dants I disagree. The second road was not so much a road of materialism. It had more to do with "leading a life" instead of trying to understand why you are alive.

The first road allows no family, friends or conversations. Sure, you would understand what life means (if there is a meaning), but then again, you didn't really live a life, right? You couldn't, for example, ask about "why your boyfriend cheated on you" because you would never have had time to have a boy/girlfriend to start with.

I'd take the second road. I wanted to be surrounded by people I love, by friends, etc. Sure, if the answer to "why we are alive" drops by some day, I'll take it. But, as lazy as it might make me sound, I'd rather LIVE my life then find out what I missed out on.
                But you are essentially ignoring that one persuasion is about here on earth, the things you would experience that you listed, you can only experience in the material world, and the other is the next step, the spiritual step. Just because you die, and you learn the truth and don't experience those things which you listed, doesn't mean you cannot understand the questions behind it and the answers that follow, for you will already have the knowledge and the truth about this world. Thus you wouldn't need to experience it. One reads books and gains knowledge, experience, and wisdom, from those authors and thinkers that would be impossible to gain in entire lifetime, hence my quote from Socrates.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by Anonymouse But you are essentially ignoring that one persuasion is about here on earth, the things you would experience that you listed, you can only experience in the material world, and the other is the next step, the spiritual step. Just because you die, and you learn the truth and don't experience those things which you listed, doesn't mean you cannot understand the questions behind it and the answers that follow, for you will already have the knowledge and the truth about this world. Thus you wouldn't need to experience it. One reads books and gains knowledge, experience, and wisdom, from those authors and thinkers that would be impossible to gain in entire lifetime, hence my quote from Socrates.
                  Baron jan, anonymouse said it exactly. To add a single word to what he said would be useless. Just read what he said and you'll hopefully catch my drift.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by Anonymouse But you are essentially ignoring that one persuasion is about here on earth, the things you would experience that you listed, you can only experience in the material world, and the other is the next step, the spiritual step. Just because you die, and you learn the truth and don't experience those things which you listed, doesn't mean you cannot understand the questions behind it and the answers that follow, for you will already have the knowledge and the truth about this world. Thus you wouldn't need to experience it. One reads books and gains knowledge, experience, and wisdom, from those authors and thinkers that would be impossible to gain in entire lifetime, hence my quote from Socrates.
                    Yes, but keep in mind that the second world allows education. You can even spend eight hours a day trying to find a meaning to life. But in my humble opinion, you shouldn't spend you ENTIRE life reading the experiences of others.....as you should also be able to write down your own.

Comment

Working...
                    X