Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by loseyourname We don't assume that knowledge is of the material world. Give me the proper machinery and I can show exactly where in your brain your knowledge is located. Furthermore, most of your knowledge and your awareness is of material objects. If your soul exists, and it is indeed an individualized awareness of your mental states, then without a brain and without sensory capabilities, I would like to know what the awareness would then be of. I ask this quite seriously. I am assuming for the sake of argument that the soul exists, as does some form of afterlife. Now let us speculate on what that form may be.
    Freud divided people into believers and unbelievers. Under unbelievers he categorized materialists, seekers, skeptics, agnostics, and atheists. Under believers he included all those who attributed and gave intellectual assent to a supernatural being which gave them some spiritual experience. He called his view "scientific" simply because of its premise that knowledge comes only from research, which, if I don't misunderstand, you seem to support. However, this basic premise, cannot itself be based on scientific research. It is a philosophical assumption that all knowledge comes from research, and no knowledge comes from faith. That spiritual knowledge of God, and having ordained us with free will, is not material knowledge per se, for it is more based on faith, than the material certainty you seek. God gave us free will, which even though makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes any love or joy possible. But this is off topic.

Going back to the original question of the thread, as I have said, I would take the first road and I've stated my reason(s), and my faith speaks for the rest of it.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 01-09-2004, 07:10 PM.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants Also, wouldn't all the books read by the people on the first road be written by those who walked on the second one?
      Hey Baron, I know this reply is a little late but the whole idea that goes with this thread is that you have to have a little bit of suspension of disbelief. You and I both know these options are never going to be presented to us, but we can answer the question anyway... right? So pretend you live your life until he age of 25 or something and then have the decision to walk down one road or the other. I'm sure you'll have enough questions by that age. Just look at us, we're 17-20-something range and we have enough questions to last us a lifetime already..... Anyway, i am beginning to think that option two is really unattainable. It's exactly what I want, a life complete, wonder if it'll happen.....
      Last edited by ckBejug; 01-10-2004, 11:29 AM.
      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by Anonymouse It is a philosophical assumption that all knowledge comes from research, and no knowledge comes from faith.
        Again, science's epistemic principles are well known and are documented to be effective. There is no doubt that knowledge can come about through scientific research. That isn't to say that is the only way to attain knowledge. I'm just asking for you to provide some form of justification for saying that you are able to attain knowledge through faith alone. If you can provide nothing, your words are hollow and meaningless.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Life Complete or Death & Answers

Originally posted by loseyourname Again, science's epistemic principles are well known and are documented to be effective. There is no doubt that knowledge can come about through scientific research. That isn't to say that is the only way to attain knowledge. I'm just asking for you to provide some form of justification for saying that you are able to attain knowledge through faith alone. If you can provide nothing, your words are hollow and meaningless.
          Well, of course they are hollow and meaningless, since when can you prove faith with scientific criteria of the material world. Thus if I explain to you the spiritual experiences in my life, it won't be "scientific", in fact I would be better classed as "delusional". You are right and everyone else is wrong, rest assured.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

I would like to see some kind of explanation. I didn't say to be scientific. Use logic, common sense, anything. Even if all you have is delusion, by all means, share your delusion.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I would like to see some kind of explanation. I didn't say to be scientific. Use logic, common sense, anything. Even if all you have is delusion, by all means, share your delusion.
              Maybe you want to start another thread since this is off topic, or bring back your God thread? I believe you pick the second road, and I picked the first road for reasons obvious, but I must be wrong for picking the first road, how dare I exercise free will. Thus we have already answered this thread and cannot go beyond a certain point except off-topic.

It is also interesting to note that the same person that has trouble making that leap of faith in God, spiritual awareness, or free will, is also the same person who has started the threads on them? Can you say "desire"?
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I never said I had no desire, Mousy. I would love for my life to be as simple as yours. I would love to have all the answers and to know everything that there is to be known. But as I said before, I'm not as easily convinced as you are. I will start another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I never said I had no desire, Mousy. I would love for my life to be as simple as yours. I would love to have all the answers and to know everything that there is to be known. But as I said before, I'm not as easily convinced as you are. I will start another thread.
                  But I don't have all the answers, this is where my faith begins.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

So what is that you have, Arman? Faith or knowledge? You speak with so much authority, but do you really know? If so, then you don't have faith. Faith is not required when you are already certain of something. If faith is required, then you are not certain, and you do not have knowledge. I never said I don't have faith. I simply make no attempt to put it in a neat little box and define it and limit it and understand it. It is what it is. It's faith - it is not knowledge. I do not confuse the two.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname So what is that you have, Arman? Faith or knowledge? You speak with so much authority, but do you really know? If so, then you don't have faith. Faith is not required when you are already certain of something. If faith is required, then you are not certain, and you do not have knowledge. I never said I don't have faith. I simply make no attempt to put it in a neat little box and define it and limit it and understand it. It is what it is. It's faith - it is not knowledge. I do not confuse the two.
                      I only speak with authority regarding myself. I would say I have both, since knowledge, as you define it, is confined to our world, faith like I said, goes beyond where reason ends. Of course, you don't have to agree with this nor feel threatened. It's simply a discussion. I don't want to be an authority for you, only you can be that, I am however an authority over my self.
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X