Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How do I as an Armenian make myself feel more European?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I as an Armenian make myself feel more European?

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    A poverty level of 10% doesnt qualify as extremely poor! You need to go see for yourself how the childeren there live. Armenia is no closer to being a democracy then is the USA. John you have a naive appreciation for all things western and a dislike to things eastern and you dont give Armenia the credit it deserves for having survived through extreme hardships and having emerged stronger then ever. If you are armenian or care about armenian issues then i urge you to go to Armenia and see what life there is realy like vs reading about it in some western oriented magazine.
    No I am Not Armenia I am a full blooded Canadian with Scottish, Australian, and some Dutch. I was born in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCanadian View Post
      No I am Not Armenia I am a full blooded Canadian with Scottish, Australian, and some Dutch. I was born in Vancouver, Canada
      Then what are you doing here mannn, get off you non armo you!!!

Lol, anyways...

On the 2008 ranking by GDP Armenia was 102 out 194

So I wouldn't say we are exactly, extremely, poor, but I don't doubt that we could improve our economy, infrastructure, and standard of living. Yes, Armenians in Yerevan seem fine, but what about the Armenians in rural areas? The fact that as a nation we don't have enough money to create jobs for ourselves, that our citizens have to go out to find work, that means we are poor.

Comment

Obviously there is PLENTY of room for improvement, as is to be expected from a nation that just cut off the umbilical cord from its communist Soviet mother. Again, Armenia is still a fledgling nation. However, evidence shows that it IS moving in the right direction, perhaps even more so than your beloved Western civilizations:
        • The poverty rate of 10.6% may seem high, but that's actually equal to your Canada (10.8%), BETTER than the US (12%), and MUCH better/less than HALF of Turkey (20%).
        • The economy may be struggling, but it's growing at a rate FASTER than the above mentioned countries. The GPD real growth rate for 2008 increased 6.8% for Armenia, while it only increased a measly .4% for your Canada, and the US and Turkey were tied at only 1.1%
        • Despite the fact that Armenians struggle to find work in the homeland, it's actually no worse than much more powerful countries. The unemployment rate in Armenia is 7.1%, which is 89th compared to the world. However, the US rate is 7.2% (91st), and the Canada rate is 6.2% (76th). So apparently, it's not much better (if at all) in your beloved Western powers. For the hell of it, it's 10.7% in Turkey (128th)

I think you're confusing perception with reality, which is very, very common for Westerners. You're also under the delusion that Western automatically equals better than Eastern, which is another huge misconception. BTW .....how does one become "full blooded Canadian"? Canadian isn't an ethnicity.

Comment

Invite a whole bunch of Muslims into your house and let them make the rules.

Comment

On this note, I get slightly irritated when someone hears that I am Armenian and they reply "but, you're white!"
            or, "so you are Muslim?"
            Not because being non-Caucasian or Islamic is an atrocity--but because Armenians are too often perceived as being no different than say, Turks because of their common geography when the culture, dominant religion, and ethnic content of Armenians are so often mistaken by outsiders. I have even heard the "you're too White" BS from other Armenians...all right, just because you happen to have black hair doesn't mean it's typical of the entire country or populace. Armenia could be considered Eastern Europe and is also in close proximity to Russia.
            For example:
            Dark-haired and Armenian

and also
            Fair-haired/skinned and just as Armenian...

(last one is a hottie!)

edit: and either way, all of these examples are beautiful people! regardless of varying appearances.
            Last edited by TheSARSVolta; 11-14-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
              I think you're confusing perception with reality, which is very, very common for Westerners. You're also under the delusion that Western automatically equals better than Eastern, which is another huge misconception. BTW .....how does one become "full blooded Canadian"? Canadian isn't an ethnicity.
              It just means his family lines has been in Canada so long that he doesn't know what he is... so he just watches hockey, wraps himself around the Canadian flag and bathes in maple syrup.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                It just means his family lines has been in Canada so long that he doesn't know what he is... so he just watches hockey, wraps himself around the Canadian flag and bathes in maple syrup.
                So you don't think there's a little bit more to Canada than those things you've just listed?

Comment

yeah, you forgot something important. canada's weed is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCanadian View Post
                    The words "extremely poor" related to Armenia means that Armenia suffers from poverty that is very very high and the poverty relates right across the country and not just one area.

Armenia's per capita is well below the world average which is another meaning of the word.

Extremely poor is classified when a countries citizens are living below US$0.50c a day. Unfortunately quite a big amount of Armenians especially children live under US$0.50c a day. The latest figure for Armenian children living in that extremely poor bracket is close to 50%

Poverty levels in Armenia are 10.6%

Armenia is an emerging Democracy
                    Hate to break it to you but the poverty levels of Japan are 10-15% as are many other 1st world nations (including Canada which is around 12%).

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/natio...na013000c.html - Japan

News Releases 10-21
                    Canada’s Record on Poverty Among The Worst of Developed Countries—And Slipping

Ottawa, September 17 — Poverty rates in Canada— especially among children and the working-age population—are among the worst of 17 leading developed countries, according to the Conference Board’s annual ranking on Society indicators.

With more than 12 per cent of the working-age population living in poverty, Canada is in 15th place out of 17 countries—a “D” grade—ahead of only Japan and the United States. More than one in seven Canadian children lives in poverty—resulting in a 13th place ranking and a “C” grade.

“Considering how wealthy this country is, these rates of poverty are unacceptable. Not only are we not making progress; we are losing ground,” said Anne Golden, President and CEO of the Conference Board. “Poverty rates among children and working age people are rising.

“Poverty rates among seniors doubled between 1995 and 2005, which is disconcerting, because we take such pride in having conquered seniors’ poverty. And when the data for the current time period become available, we can expect this trend to persist.”

In the overall Society category—which measures 17 indicators in the areas of social cohesion, equity and self-sufficiency—Canada ranks ninth, an improvement of one place from last year. Canada also earns an overall ‘B’, which remains consistent with its grades in this category over the past two decades.

“This middle-of-the-pack ranking obscures our very poor performance on social cohesion indicators—especially assaults. Despite poor rankings on poverty and social cohesion, we moved up to ninth place due to higher grades on income mobility (the extent to which income levels are able to change across generations) and our acceptance of diversity,” said Golden.

The overall rankings have Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands all earning “A” grades, while the United States and Japan are the two “D” performers among the 17 countries ranked.

Norway, the Netherlands and Denmark were also among the top five performers in the economy category of How Canada Performs, indicating that a strong economy does not have to come at the expense of a strong social fabric.

“Canadians should care about social outcomes. In addition to caring about social justice, a strong social fabric ultimately contributes to sustainable economic prosperity,” said Golden.

How Canada Performs: A Report Card on Canada is the Conference Board’s annual benchmarking analysis, which the Board has conducted since 1996. The Conference Board assesses Canada’s performance against leading countries in the domains of Economy, Health, Society, Innovation, Environment, and Education and Skills.

© Copyright 2009 The Conference Board of Canada. 255 Smyth Rd., Ottawa ON K1H 8M7 Canada
                    ^About Canada, and Canadians saying it

I have to ask John Canadian the question? When will you see reality, the fact is that no country in the west including Canada can sit back and say its wealthy, when such numbers of people are poor and unemployed. This is why I don't smugly say my country is rich, and simply ignore the poor even though I could point to a few wealthy businessmen and say it is.
                    Last edited by hipeter924; 11-14-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSARSVolta View Post
                      edit: and either way, all of these examples are beautiful people! regardless of varying appearances.
                      Armenians, like many peoples of Europe have all the sub-races of the Caucasoid/Europid family.

The Turkish people have absorbed into their formation various ethnicities including a good deal of Armenians, Greeks and others hence some of the parallels in terms of appearance. However, a good deal of Armenians of Istanbul who still live in Turkey, note that overall you can tell a difference between a Turk and an Armenian in terms of appearance. Only one who is not familiar with these differences and tends to generalize would reach such a wrong conclusion. And once again appearance is not everything since the cultural differences are just as noteworthy in this regard.

Comment

Working...
                      X