Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

college athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jilbagh yes i agree on that point....and i totally agree that actors that suck, get the courtside tickets i should be given to the Lakers games

I'm pretty sure I should be given those tickets.

You think college athletes should be payed to play? I think getting a scholarship is good enough compensation. The great ones get to display their skills for the pro leagues and the ones who aren't good enough get a degree from a school they wouldn't be admitted to on their academic achievements alone.

I can't believe this damn debate has had me at this site for so long.

Comment

No no no they should'nt get paid to play...
      but certain strict restrictions like being givin tickets, being taken out to dinner, etc...should be lifted as a solution to compensate the fact that the corporations and the schools make a sh*t load of money off of the athlete.

And if they make the pro's, its the hard work paying off...but they get paid in the pro's, to the amount they are worth and deserve.

even in the pro's, jersey sales, fan attraction, ticket sales those ticket buyers eat the overpriced food and $500 beer!!

To say that the students dont deserve the feebies they get is basically raping them of they're self worth...

Comment

Originally posted by fstkhnan yeah so, who said college is all about academics? u should just appreciate the fact that ppl who are not good enough academically are being able to do something else in their lives, and become good at it.
        u know what i hate? when ppl just go to school and just do school work, and go home and then expect to get into a good school. well that's aint gonna happen, ppl who are involved more in other things other than school are the ones who have th better chance in getting into schools. I love that about colleges.
        big deal, i was apart of a show choir all my highschool career. We put in hundreds and thousands of outside hours of work, going to competitions(we won nationals, the top competition for show choirs), learning dances, vocal , everything. And at the same time i managed to get excellent grades. But i dont think i should deserve any extra preveledges just because we would win 1st place and give our school a good name. What i do is for myself, not for a school. I dont think i should be treated better or get any more benefits then another student who works just as hard but in academics or other areas .

Comment

the major reason why school was made was to educate americans academically. This is really why most of the people go there. It shouldnt be a sports show, it should be about kids tryng to educate themselves academically more. Its what school was made for basically. All the extra activities came in later to give students a little bonus stuff on the side, not to make it the center of your life. But sadly today, its the center for many kids who cant achieve anything mentally, so they go for the physical.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus big deal, i was apart of a show choir all my highschool career. We put in hundreds and thousands of outside hours of work, going to competitions(we won nationals, the top competition for show choirs), learning dances, vocal , everything. And at the same time i managed to get excellent grades. But i dont think i should deserve any extra preveledges just because we would win 1st place and give our school a good name. What i do is for myself, not for a school. I dont think i should be treated better or get any more benefits then another student who works just as hard but in academics or other areas .
            of course you're doing it for urself and for ur school....as long as a team is bringing the most money to the school's budget.....well hey of course they have to have privilages, no matter what.....UCLA or CAL or USC and a lot others, weren't gonna be this famous without their athletics. So why not appreciate the athletes aho are working hard in and out of class to keep their school's name up there!

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus the major reason why school was made was to educate americans academically. This is really why most of the people go there. It shouldnt be a sports show, it should be about kids tryng to educate themselves academically more. Its what school was made for basically. All the extra activities came in later to give students a little bonus stuff on the side, not to make it the center of your life. But sadly today, its the center for many kids who cant achieve anything mentally, so they go for the physical.
              yeah ok....that's just how it started.....but we're in the 2000's now....nothing stays the same, so why would a college goal stay the same?colleges now know that they need much more action, much more reputation, and much more spirit......come on, don't u think it wouldve been soooooooo boring if there was no college athletics???

Comment

not all college atheletes are stupid. Mark Madsen went to a hard school, Stanford, he was a starter on the basketball team, got drafted by the Lakers, and he graduated with a 4.2...

there are a lot more like them. Vince Carter almost missed a NBA playoff game to attend his graduation.

kudos for the performing arts thing...and there are great school that excel in that area. it's just too bad that it doesn't bring in as much money as sports.

money talks baby!!! show me the MONEYYYY....

damn i knew i should've walked on at UNLV

Comment

Originally posted by jilbagh not all college atheletes are stupid. Mark Madsen went to a hard school, Stanford, he was a starter on the basketball team, got drafted by the Lakers, and he graduated with a 4.2...

there are a lot more like them. Vince Carter almost missed a NBA playoff game to attend his graduation.

kudos for the performing arts thing...and there are great school that excel in that area. it's just too bad that it doesn't bring in as much money as sports.

money talks baby!!! show me the MONEYYYY....

damn i knew i should've walked on at UNLV
                  yeah man seriously....ppl think Stanford, or Harvard athletes get into the college just cuz they're athletes....
                  it's aint like that....they also need the grades, yeah athletics will help them to get in but grades are really important as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by fstkhnan of course you're doing it for urself and for ur school....as long as a team is bringing the most money to the school's budget.....well hey of course they have to have privilages, no matter what.....UCLA or CAL or USC and a lot others, weren't gonna be this famous without their athletics. So why not appreciate the athletes aho are working hard in and out of class to keep their school's name up there!
                    you act as though everything i say agree's with you LOL

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitelotus you act as though everything i say agree's with you LOL [/QUOTE

well Iam an athlete....but I study too, and I have a good GPA...im an athlete.....and I dont really get a special treatment by instructors cuz im an athlete. actually its somtimes the opposite, some teachers hate athletes specially if u play the certain sport that they dont like...I had a chemistry teacher once who didn't like tennis , since I play tennis, throughout the whole semester, he was against me in everything, so its not the way u think it is....yeah ive came across teachers who have beeb nice to me and worked with my season schedules all the time, by letting me miss classes and stuff cuz of competition, but trust me there are the 2 types out there....

Comment

Working...
                      X