Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Kanada, I don't think when people are talking about "preserving" the church, they are talking about the buildings. The discussion is around the concept of the church and not the physical manifestations.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Yes, I'm aware that our churches are being destroyed for that reason. Screaming doesn't illuminate what that has to do with *this* discussion.
      It has EVERYTHING to do with this discussion.

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      Kanada, I don't think when people are talking about "preserving" the church, they are talking about the buildings. The discussion is around the concept of the church and not the physical manifestations.
      When people are talking about "the concept of the church" they are most often referencing the onslaught that the media has created. Anyone that has grown up in and around the Armenian church should know that it's critical to Armenian community events and social gatherings which form the Armenian identity. Most Americanized Armenians will associate themselves with the college/university they attended as if it's their identity in the same way a sports fan will act like they are part of the team when their home town sports team is playing. Yeah, I'm a Michigan Wolverine!!!
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Posters need to take a little bit more care and type "Church" when they mean the Armenian Church (or any other Christian denomination), and "church" when they mean a structure in which Christian worship takes, or took, place.

For example:
        Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        Armenian church
        Incorrect capitalisation.

Yeah, I'm a Michigan Wolverine!!!
        Correct capitalisation!
        Last edited by bell-the-cat; 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Anyone that has grown up in and around the Armenian church should know that it's critical to Armenian community events and social gatherings which form the Armenian identity. Most Americanized Armenians will associate themselves with the college/university they attended as if it's their identity in the same way a sports fan will act like they are part of the team when their home town sports team is playing. Yeah, I'm a Michigan Wolverine!!!
          I don't disagree with you here. Actually I think fanatically following a sports team, University, and God are all basically the same. What I don't understand is why do we still think we need the holy spirit business in our social gatherings? Why should our social gatherings revolve around someone in a beard and a cape who goes around chanting things and reading things out of a book in a language that no one understands anymore?
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Do you actually read posts and think about a reply before posting a reply or do you just skim and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind? What in the world does this have to do with anything? This is even further off the mark than the original comment about destroying churches.
            I wonder the same thing

Siggie: Armenians were Pagan before they were Christian
            Kanada: The automobile was created after the horse and buggy
            Siggie: The horse and buggy shouldn't have been destroyed
            Kanada: It wasn't, it became obsolete... do you want to go back to the horse and buggy?
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Yup that pretty much summarized things.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

I wonder the same thing

Siggie: The horse and buggy shouldn't have been destroyed
                Kanada: It wasn't, it became obsolete... do you want to go back to the horse and buggy?
                It's a good thing the whole exchange only spanned about 4 or 5 posts and is right here in the immediately preceding posts for people to read over...

Yup that pretty much summarized things.
                Seriously... I love how he tried to make it sound like I'm the one that brings up things that aren't even tangentially related as if the posts demonstrating otherwise aren't right here.

-------------

Here it is all in order to illustrate:

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                Christian identity is central to being Armenian. Even if one is not very religious they should still respect the Armenian Church, holidays, and clergy.
                Christianity has not even been part of the Armenian identity for the majority of its history, let alone long enough for us to insist it is an essential element of being Armenian.
                Here we go again. J3ws congregate at temple. Muslims at mosques. Armenians... well nowhere because they've been convinced that their churches needed to be destroyed because their beliefs attained through history were inferior!
                Yeah, I don't see us as being inferior to either of those groups if we didn't have this attachment to church.
                Why do you feel it is something we need? No one should convince us to destroy our churches. They are part of our history and they should be preserved. It seems like religion that's often a motivation to destroy history. E.g. destroying pagan buildings, not preserving history from our pagan past, etc. as efforts to forget the past and dedicate ourselves to the present and future as Christians. For instance, the Greeks and Egyptians aren't now destroying their ancient temples because the religion has changed and they no longer believe in Zeus, Athena, Ra, or Osiris.
                Here is a pic of Pagan architecture in Garni. Are you comparing this basic bird house with pillars to the highly complex mathematically calculated and detailed architecture of our Churches?

Do you actually read posts and think about a reply before posting a reply or do you just skim and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind? What in the world does this have to do with anything? This is even further off the mark than the original comment about destroying churches.

To illustrate the disconnect:

Kanada: Shoes are essential to being human.

Siggie: There were humans before shoes.

Kanada: xxxs and Muslims wear shoes. Why should we destroy our shoes?

Siggie: Who said anything about destroying them? I don't think we should destroy our shoes. They're part of our history and we should preserve them just as the Egyptians and Greeks continues to preserve their shoes even when they stopped wearing that style of shoe.

Kanada: Are you comparing this ugly poorly designed Greek footsack to this fine, complex, Armenian shoe?

---

HUH? Comparing the architecture of the churches is not relevant. The point is that there is no need to destroy any of them. The only comparison I made was to point to these cultures as examples of ones where the national religion changed, but in the present day, they see no need to destroy things associated with the religion(s) of history.
                The point is they are THOUSANDS of years old and THEY GET DESTROYED BY NATURE UNLESS THEY ARE RESTORED. However, thousands of our Orthodox Churches were RECENTLY DESTROYED in hopes of covering up OUR EXISTENCE AND LAYING CLAIM TO OUR GOD GIVEN LANDS.
                Yes, I'm aware that our churches are being destroyed for that reason. Screaming doesn't illuminate what that has to do with *this* discussion.
                It has EVERYTHING to do with this discussion.

[COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

@ Siggie: There is no point in time that Armenians didn't have a society with a belief in god(s) until atheism was forced on them by rule. You are simply overlooking the progression of intelligence which developed after the introduction of Christianity mainly due to the order and structure it brought to society. Paganism became obsolete, it no longer could ensure survival against competing regional forces. Atheism is systematically and suggestively brought into the media, politics and school systems today to ensure that people brainlessly give up their right to land through deceptive monetary policies in order for the creation of a communist empire. Simply believing that humans have no inherent rights will yield power to the organizations that promote atheism.

Comment

@ Siggie: There is no point in time that Armenians didn't have a society with a belief in god(s) until atheism was forced on them by rule. You are simply overlooking the progression of intelligence which developed after the introduction of Christianity mainly due to the order and structure it brought to society. Paganism became obsolete, it no longer could ensure survival against competing regional forces. Atheism is systematically and suggestively brought into the media, politics and school systems today to ensure that people brainlessly give up their right to land through deceptive monetary policies in order for the creation of a communist empire. Simply believing that humans have no inherent rights will yield power to the organizations that promote atheism.
                    Oh my... so much to follow up on. I'll take it in pieces.

@ Siggie: There is no point in time that Armenians didn't have a society with a belief in god(s) until atheism was forced on them by rule.
                    I don't know how you can make a statement like at no point in time did Armenians not believe in a god. How do you know this? Do you have accurate records spanning the entirety of the history of the Armenian people? Do you have any records spanning that time? Yeah, didn't think so...

Nor was atheism forced on them. Were Armenians atheists while part of the Soviet Union?

You are simply overlooking the progression of intelligence which developed after the introduction of Christianity mainly due to the order and structure it brought to society.
                    Temporal precedence alone does not establish cause: research methods 101.
                    Just because some things got better following the adoption of Christianity doesn't mean they were caused by that change. The simple fact that one thing precedes another is not sufficient to establish a causal link before the two. If we were going to play that game, couldn't I say that the worst fate of the Armenian people was brought about by Christianity? But I don't say that because it's illogical.

Paganism became obsolete, it no longer could ensure survival against competing regional forces.

Paganism became obsolete because it couldn't ensure survival? What are you talking about? I don't think any supernatural belief is a good thing, but I don't understand what you're trying to say here. How did it ever ensure survival? What regional forces?

Atheism is systematically and suggestively brought into the media, politics and school systems today to ensure that people brainlessly give up their right to land through deceptive monetary policies in order for the creation of a communist empire. Simply believing that humans have no inherent rights will yield power to the organizations that promote atheism.
                    How is the media systematically and suggestively bringing that? If it's systematic then you should have no problem in the least providing some evidence of this occurring. I'd like to see it because it doesn't seem this way to me at all. If this was the case, there would be more favorable attitudes toward atheism than there are.

Second, how does atheism lead to giving up rights including the right to own property? If anything ownership of land in the US came with the puritan colonists. The natives didn't "own" the land.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I don't know how you can make a statement like at no point in time did Armenians not believe in a god. How do you know this? Do you have accurate records spanning the entirety of the history of the Armenian people? Do you have any records spanning that time? Yeah, didn't think so...
                      There are many historical texts and I'm definite this was common knowledge up until the years of the Genocide.

"It is said by ancient Armenian historians that the Armenians were originally worshippers of the One True God, but they, like all other nations, deserted Him and took up with various religions. Sun-worship was one of these; Zoroastrianism also had its turn; in due course, the Greeks introduced their own deities; even India succeeded in making its influence felt. Strabo has it that the Armenians, during the period of the Arsacid dynasty, were of the same religion as the Parthians. It appears that the Armenians fused together Zoroastrianism and the polytheism of Greece and other nations, thus combining eastern and western religion. One result of this fusion was that though the Zoroastrians made no visible representation of their God, the temples of Armenia were full of images, brought from Mesopotamia, Asia Minor, and Greece."

Armenian Legends and Poems [1916] at sacred-texts.com

Nor was atheism forced on them. Were Armenians atheists while part of the Soviet Union?
                      Not only Armenians but Russians as well were forced to give up their Orthodoxy as Churches were destroyed and priests were killed. For about 1,600 years until the Armenian Genocide, Christianity played a very important role in our identity. The Armenian identity. Our every day lives were part of it.

For the past 100 years and after the fall of the Soviet Union, many Armenians of Armenia became Atheists because of Soviet doctrine. Still, I believe that our religion was still stronger than the Soviet Union's propaganda so many Armenians actually kept their faith, although in secret. The Armenians of the diaspora continued their faith in Christianity as normal since the countries they moved to for the most part encouraged, rather than discouraged religion.

This is why the average diaspora Armenian tends to be more religious than the average Armenian from Armenia.

I'll get to the rest later.
                      Last edited by KanadaHye; 11-10-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X