Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Post your Favorite Guns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your Favorite Guns!

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    Can't go wrong with an M1

Don't make much difference between the two (milled vs stamped) when it comes to the American made AK-47......in fact milled receivers get hot quicker than stamped and the accuracy improvement is not really that much when it comes to laying lead down range. As its known AK has a tendency to shoot little high and to the right. These US manufactures have made other improvements (besides the use of a milled receiver) to increase accuracy such as alining the stock (butt) with the barrel line, the use of muzzle break that reduces rise, chrome plated bolt, etc. Also it is harder to fit new furniture on milled receiver than stamped one.
    Arsenal is Bulgarian aks, not American if i am not mistaken. The Americans didnt improve much, they actually xxxxed xxxx up becouse i have handled and fired American aks and they feel pretty weak, as in not as sturdy and they had an issue with the firing pin. But the Romanian ak and Finnish ak i have fired were superb. stamped steel is better all around for the aks purposes, the milled receiver was giving ALOT of problems, plus it make sit more expensive. the best milled receiver Aks were by Valmet and Sako in Finland. i believe they are in fact the greatest AKs in the world, superior to even the Russian and soviet ones because of the quality and care put into the guns. but there is hardly and Finnish Aks and they stopped making them all together i believe.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Odysseus View Post
      Arsenal is Bulgarian aks, not American if i am not mistaken. The Americans didnt improve much, they actually xxxxed xxxx up becouse i have handled and fired American aks and they feel pretty weak, as in not as sturdy and they had an issue with the firing pin. But the Romanian ak and Finnish ak i have fired were superb. stamped steel is better all around for the aks purposes, the milled receiver was giving ALOT of problems, plus it make sit more expensive. the best milled receiver Aks were by Valmet and Sako in Finland. i believe they are in fact the greatest AKs in the world, superior to even the Russian and soviet ones because of the quality and care put into the guns. but there is hardly and Finnish Aks and they stopped making them all together i believe.
      As far as I know they are American but like you said you have to know what you getting into. A lot of the older US AK-47s were just assembled here from different parts. Many AKS had severe issues in jamming and dropping the magazine out after the first shot. The latest ones claim to be built here in US are much better (I own one, was at the range last monday, 120 rounds of Belgium 7.62X39 and no problems...Zeroed the gun at 25 and 100 meters and it shoots very accurate without missing a beat). Remember though this is the US (and California for that matter). You cannot own a fully automatic asault rifle and you are limited to 10 round mags. Also they shear off the eand of the pin that holds the firing pin in the bolt so you cannot take it out and sharpen it (for fully auto application) and they add a secondery sear pin on the trigger to stop it from acting as a fully auto. (both of those can be manupilated but it is a major felony with 10 years in prision).

Milled receivers are overrated.....everybody wants them. I think they get too hot too quick, heavy, and hard to fit new furniture on. Plus in Cali, beggers can't be choosers.

PS:
      As far as AK-47 power......that has not much to do with the gun but more to do with the round itself. Plus, AKs are not that powerful rifles and most rounds make a clean hole through a human body. Where the AK succeeds is in its reliability, rate of fire, ruggedness....you can drop it in a puddle of mud, pick it up, and it will fire slinging mud at you. It can be minus 30 outside and it will work. If you can feed it, it will fire it, etc.

Hell, at close range, my Winchester 1300 will blow a man's gutts all over the place with one round as where an AK might just incapacitate the target with one shot and recoverable even if shot in the lungs.
      Last edited by Eddo211; 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM.
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Arsenal is Bulgarian, the quality is so-so.

You guys in the USA can get the real Russian AK rifles. They are imported under the Saiga brand. They come under various calibers 7.62 x 39, 5.45 x 39, 308Win etc. There are even shotgun versions...

Why buy a clone copy when the original is available and affordable?

Comment

Originally posted by ZORAVAR View Post
          Arsenal is Bulgarian, the quality is so-so.

You guys in the USA can get the real Russian AK rifles. They are imported under the Saiga brand. They come under various calibers 7.62 x 39, 5.45 x 39, 308Win etc. There are even shotgun versions...

Why buy a clone copy when the original is available and affordable?
          They are not as available as you may think......there are also many copycats and badly assembled AKs running around. When I was on a deployment from work in Oklahoma I could have just picked one up from private parties (a nice one) in gun shows with a freaking box magazine! but in California is not that easy (after two bank robbers outgunned and terrorized the police department with their fully auto AK-47s wearing body armor back in 1990s). Also I have no use for what I do at fully auto and its accuracy is no good on full auto and you go through rounds real quick (at .25 cents a round even buying bulk it can break the bank), but it sure is fun. We Californians got to "get R dun" on semi auto and limited to 10 round mag.....it makes a more precise shooter out of us

I have fired them both but I kind of like the tactical AK setup that is available here legally. The one I got is been built exactly to the blue print of the Polish version on the Russian AK receiver assembly (Polish version is well known). The few changes are the tactical external parts like the stock, accessory rails for scope/lazer dot, muzzle break/flash supressor, light plastic mags, and legalization for public sell. Of course you can always get the classic AK and set it up they way you like it as well, there are plenty of retailers who provide these accessories.

Some say you can fire a 308 out of an AK that is chambered for 7.62X39....I think they are nuts. Doesn't the 308 have a longer shell which is 51mm (NATO round) even though it is the same caliber (7.62)?
          Last edited by Eddo211; 10-07-2011, 04:58 PM.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
            Some say you can fire a 308 out of an AK that is chambered for 7.62X39....I think they are nuts. Doesn't the 308 have a longer shell which is 51mm (NATO round) even though it is the same caliber (7.62)?
            They are indeed nuts. The caliber is the same, but the 308 is longer and will not fit in the magazine of the AK, let alone the chamber.
            Having said that you may buy a Saiga (civilian version of the AK) that is chambered for a 308. The action is the same, but the mags are different and the chamber is longer.
            BTW, all Saigas are semi-auto (not full-auto) and are imported to the US as such. It is the end-customers who convert them to full auto. I believe that is not permitted by law anywhere in the US, but people still do it. California is more stringent.

Comment

Mosin Nagant 91/30 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant
              Avtomat Kalashnivoa 47 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK47
              Smith and Wesson Model 500 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_500
              M1Garand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_garand

Comment

Comment

Having said that you may buy a Saiga (civilian version of the AK)......BTW, all Saigas are semi-auto (not full-auto) and are imported to the US as such....California is more stringent.
                  You are right, I returned the junk and took your advise.

AKS762:

Put 120 rounds through it at the range no jams...zeroed out (little on windage some on elevation) at 25 meter in no time and it was nailing double taps on steel targets (size about a foot in Dia) at 100 yard, and I am not a good shot. Haven't tried the red/green dot sights but I don't think I will like it. I trust iron sight and those things just weighs your weapon down and puts it out of CG.

Ignore the stupid 'bullet button' on the trigger guard......thats california for you. Good think is it comes off if you wanted to.

B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Congrats.
                    It has some modifications done in the USA. AFAIK all the Saiga's shipped to the US are with a sporter stock (no pistol grip).
                    Did you buy it new or used?

Comment

Congrats.
                      It has some modifications done in the USA. AFAIK all the Saiga's shipped to the US are with a sporter stock (no pistol grip).
                      Did you buy it new or used?
                      This one is the sporter Version 03. Once it arrives in US it must become 922r compliant which means at least 8 parts have to be changed. I know the trigger and the muzzle break are stamped Tapco USA. The furniture is Russian classic red wood but it wasn't ship to US with that wood, that was done here. The checkering on the pistol grip is done here, etc

Now for California sell they put that ugly Mag lock (bullet button) on it and ship it with a tapco 10 round Magazine. I bought the rifle new and it has its certification stamps from Russian factory Izmash. This is one sweet AKS brother. The receiver is a work of art, the barrel and the bolt is chrome plated and every effort is made to maintain its AK classic look.

B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X