Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Originally posted by KanadaHye
    Life is based on a reward system. You would not work unless you were rewarded with at least food, drink and a place to rest/sleep. Those are the basics of life. Corruption is the result of being rewarded for doing something bad or harmful to others, directly or indirectly.
    Don't all 3 Abrahamic religions have at their core the character of Abraham who was willing to slit his own child's throat because god told him he would be rewarded?

Don't all 3 Abrahamic religions in one form or another encourage (many times force) its followers to mutilate the genitals of their little children?

Aren't all suicide bombers religious people who find rewards for their sadistic behavior within the texts of their so-called holy books?

According to your own logic religion sounds really corrupt.

The Native Indians believed in many things that other cultures would see as absurd. They did not know of corruption until the Europeans brought with them all the things that began to destroy their culture.
    I'm an admirer of some native American cultures but to say they didn't know corruption before the Europeans is just BS. They had wars and conflicts of their own. The reason we know more about European corruption is because of the written record which the natives didn't have.

Plus you didn't mention that the mandate Europeans used for killing and enslaving native American peoples was none other than the bible. From the Spaniards who arrived in 1492 to the white southerners in the 20th century, there are countless examples of Christianity being used to promote slavery and convince average believers that it was a good thing.

If you want to see corruption and sadism among native American peoples just look at the Aztecs prior to the arrival of Europeans. They had ceremonies where they would kill hundreds of people at a time, including children, because of the prevailing belief that their gods needed to be satisfied with human blood.

"Our culture is derivative of the natural resources. If our culture dies, the only reminants are its physical attributes, which will soon be dispersed to the natural environment. If that happens, there will be no trace of our living culture."
    ~ Stuart Harris, a Cayuse Indian & senior staff scientist

Basically what he's saying is we are born from the elements of the Earth. If we all die, our physical being returns back to nature and we simply cease to exist (as a culture).

Like the natives, if Armenians no longer live to give birth to other Armenians, we will no longer exist and that will ultimately be the end of our culture.
    This seems like common sense and I agree. Notice that your comments exclude the concept of god or the supernatural as a fundamental element of life and culture. You're implying that culture is wholly based on material elements which makes you sound exactly like a non-believer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
      Don't all 3 Abrahamic religions have at their core the character of Abraham who was willing to slit his own child's throat because god told him he would be rewarded?
      Going by historical timelines, Abraham is only significant in Judaism (Old Testament). Christianity views Abraham as an Old Testament figure. Muslims seemed to have adopted a lot of their religious views/customs from Judaism even though it developed after Christianity.

In order to claim Jesus as being J3wish and J3ws having believed to be descendants of Abraham, the politics of the day deemed Jesus a descendant of Abraham (which doesn't make much logical sense if he was really born to a virgin now does it?) Another oddity since J3ws tend to exhibit an unreal sense of logic (like Spock from Star Trek)

Don't all 3 Abrahamic religions in one form or another encourage (many times force) its followers to mutilate the genitals of their little children?
      Nope, it's J3wish and Muslim practice.

Aren't all suicide bombers religious people who find rewards for their sadistic behavior within the texts of their so-called holy books?
      They are usually poor people who get used by the wealthy who claim that the family they leave behind will receive royalties for taking their own life. Similar to those who join the military. In one case death is inevitable while in the other, it's possible.

According to your own logic religion sounds really corrupt.
      Religion can be corrupted just like any other institution. You can put your money in an ethical bank or a fraudulent bank. That doesn't make the concept of banking corrupt. It just means that the institution has been taken over by corruption.

I'm an admirer of some native American cultures but to say they didn't know corruption before the Europeans is just BS. They had wars and conflicts of their own. The reason we know more about European corruption is because of the written record which the natives didn't have.
      If there is no written record (which nobody would believe anyways since we're discussinghistory vs. story in the Bible) then what evidence do you have that it's B.S.? I recall reading about some native tribe that didn't come in contact with the outside world up until the last century or so when they were discovered/invaded by the Dutch and forced to adopt the corrupt Christian teachings here in the West. Similar methods were used in Canada to assimilate the natives via corrupted Catholic institutions.

Plus you didn't mention that the mandate Europeans used for killing and enslaving native American peoples was none other than the bible. From the Spaniards who arrived in 1492 to the white southerners in the 20th century, there are countless examples of Christianity being used to promote slavery and convince average believers that it was a good thing.
      Are you referring to the Sephardic J3ws who came from Spain? I wonder how many people actually believe the Christopher Columbus story.... hrm.

If you want to see corruption and sadism among native American peoples just look at the Aztecs prior to the arrival of Europeans. They had ceremonies where they would kill hundreds of people at a time, including children, because of the prevailing belief that their gods needed to be satisfied with human blood.
      Their reason to do so was because they considered themselves the "elected" people, the people of the Sun who had been chosen by the gods to feed them and were responsible for the continuity of the world. Hmmm... isn't that what Israel claims today and people still buy the B.S.? Interesting...
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
        It is very easy to answer to the question asked
        Answer: 100%

It's not only history, it's also the truth
        I agree my friend, right on.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I think if the people who wrote the bible were alive today they would be laughing at you two.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post

I think if the people who wrote the bible were alive today they would be laughing at you two.
            I have a right to my own beliefs, as you do to yours.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
              I have a right to my own beliefs, as you do to yours.
              “How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?”

As the rest of two milliard Christians; my answer is 100% too .

But the homosexuals, their proponents and some of the rest of sinners, that have democratic right to speak up about their rights/privileges, call the Christian majority backward/illiterate people, because they are not accepted by the religion. There are hundreds of world wide known scientists that are/were Christians, you know.

Alas ... our opponents cannot accept Christian religion as they are advanced/ARAJADEM scientific people and more importantly; because they advocate for things that are considered by the religion as immoral. This is why they are trying to prolong this “discussion” and console themselves that God does not exist, until summoned by...

Please take into consideration the facts above Mos and Pepsi.
              Last edited by gegev; 12-12-2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
                “How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?”

As the rest of two milliard Christians; my answer is 100% too .

But the homosexuals, their proponents and some of the rest of sinners, that have democratic right to speak up about their rights/privileges, call the Christian majority backward/illiterate people, because they are not accepted by the religion.

Therefore they cannot call it advanced/ARAJADEM. This is why they are trying to prolong this “discussion” and console themselves that God does not exist, until summoned by...

Please take into consideration the fact above Mos and Pepsi.
                It's a common syndrome from the ultra-liberal values in the West. They demean and ridicule Christians and Christianity - they see faith in Christianity as something backwards. This is a syndrome of the "aggressive secularism" and the "political correctness" of building a globalised, secular society. That's why we need to protect religious values in our society and protect the national faith of the Armenians, like we protect our identity.
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---

Comment

I havent seen any ultra-liberals in this forum nor does questioning religious teachings make you gay. It is simply about reason and religion is most unreasonable of human practices. Religion was chosen by countries to form or deepen political alliances with other countries yet many people take it seriously with horrible consequences. If you think that the bible is 100% true then you really are backwards because this means you will not use reason and no evidence will sway you. If you wish to glorify irrationality and promote homophobia, racism, sexism,..then yes you are indeed backwards among many other things.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    I havent seen any ultra-liberals in this forum nor does questioning religious teachings make you gay. It is simply about reason and religion is most unreasonable of human practices. Religion was chosen by countries to form or deepen political alliances with other countries yet many people take it seriously with horrible consequences. If you think that the bible is 100% true then you really are backwards because this means you will not use reason and no evidence will sway you. If you wish to glorify irrationality and promote homophobia, racism, sexism,..then yes you are indeed backwards among many other things.
                    I personally like being Armenian so if promoting "racism" yields a personal identity and conservation of heritage than I guess I'm racist.

I was born male and am not going apologize for my birth gender so if promoting "sexism" yields a personal sense of gender than I guess I'm sexist.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                      I personally like being Armenian so if promoting "racism" yields a personal identity and conservation of heritage than I guess I'm racist.

I was born male and am not going apologize for my birth gender so if promoting "sexism" yields a personal sense of gender than I guess I'm sexist.
                      Spot on.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X